or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins patent for Steve Jobs-designed Fifth Ave glass cube
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple wins patent for Steve Jobs-designed Fifth Ave glass cube

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
The iconic Fifth Avenue Apple Store glass cube, which was designed in part by legendary company co-founder Steve Jobs, is now a patented ornamental building design sanctioned by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.




The patent was officially granted this week, and represents the latest design of the 32-foot cube, which uses fewer panes of glass to achieve a cleaner aesthetic. The simpler look came as a result of a redesign that was completed in late 2011.

Previously, the cube used 90 panes of glass, but Apple sunk an estimated $6.7 million into the 15-pane redesign at its flagship New York City store.

The cube was personally designed by Jobs and is one of the most photographed landmarks in the city. The former CEO even paid for the project himself, and was the owner of the structure.

Jobs is actually credited as one of seven inventors of the structure, and is joined by former retail chief Ron Johnson. The other inventors are Karl Backus, Peter Bohlin, Robert Bridger, Benjamin L. Fay, and James O'Callaghan.




The term of the newly awarded building patent is 14 years. Apple originally filed for the patent in October of 2012.

The all-glass design has even inspired other projects from Apple, including its megastore in Shanghai that opened in 2010. Like the Fifth Avenue store, its entrance is a staircase enclosed in glass, though the one in China is a cylinder. Apple was awarded a patent for its design last year.
post #2 of 57
Breaking breakable news¡
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #3 of 57
As the design enters the realms of history as an iconic, architectural masterpiece, let's dig up the posts from the haters at the time.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #4 of 57
Why only 14 years? Surley if you designed it it should be yours for life?
post #5 of 57

So what does this mean... no one else is allowed to build a glass cube anymore?

 

This whole patent thing just gets weirder and weirder.

post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

So what does this mean... no one else is allowed to build a glass cube anymore?

This whole patent thing just gets weirder and weirder.

Odd question; the link is in the article:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D712067.html

But to make it easy for you:

Modular building
United States Patent 8584404
Abstract:
A modular building is produced from base elements that include skeleton structural elements, from which a skeleton structure is formed, and planar elements with at least wall, floor, and ceiling elements attached to the skeleton structure. The skeleton structure elements are detachably connected to each other to form the skeleton structure and the planar elements are detachably connected to the skeleton structure and to each other. A method for producing a modular building that is produced from base elements, with a skeleton structure and planar elements, which include at least wall, floor, and ceiling elements being produced and/or provided as the base elements. The skeleton structure elements are detachably connected to each other to form the skeleton structure and the planar elements are detachably connected to the skeleton structure and/or to each other.

Many other issues are explained in the patent. Oh, and they have drawings. Everybody likes drawings.

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #7 of 57

US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 8

 

The Congress shall have power to...promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries....

 

Design patents are limited to 14 years

post #8 of 57
Would love to see this in person, haven't made it quite that far up yet. Soon.
post #9 of 57
This is all well and good until Samsung copies it and then the Patent Office invalidates it.
post #10 of 57

Judge Koh will have none of that, wait till some Korean company brings a case to her court.

bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Would love to see this in person, haven't made it quite that far up yet. Soon.

Same here. I always go to the SoHo store.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #12 of 57

Looks like the Santambrogiomilano group might have to tear down their simple glass cubed house that went on display late 2009

 

http://designyoutrust.com/2009/12/santambrogiomilano-simplicity/

post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Same here. I always go to the SoHo store.

 

Considering a trip up during winter school break, but I'm already asking myself if that's wise?

post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Considering a trip up during winter school break, but I'm already asking myself if that's wise?

A trip to NYC is always a wise choice. 😉
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Looks like the Santambrogiomilano group might have to tear down their simple glass cubed house that went on display late 2009




http://designyoutrust.com/2009/12/santambrogiomilano-simplicity/

I believe anything up before the patent is granted is allowed to stay up.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Considering a trip up during winter school break, but I'm already asking myself if that's wise?

A trip to NYC is always a wise choice. 😉

I think he may have meant going from downtown to midtown.

 

You New Yorkers.... ;-)

post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think he may have meant going from downtown to midtown.

You New Yorkers.... ;-)

That's what I initially thought, but now it seems like he/she is not in NY.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

This is all well and good until Samsung copies it and then the Patent Office invalidates it.

And Judge Koh posts her official response: "Muahahahahahaha"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That's what I initially thought, but now it seems like he/she is not in NY.

 

He/I am not in NY.  I'm in NC.  I have been only around NYC, never into the heart of the city.  I'd love to visit around the holidays but just not sure I can handle the crowds, that's what I meant earlier :-)

 

Side note, spent the last winter holidays in DC.  Terrific city, and practically abandoned during the week of xmas.  

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

He/I am not in NY.  I'm in NC.  I have been only around NYC, never into the heart of the city.  I'd love to visit around the holidays but just not sure I can handle the crowds, that's what I meant earlier :-)

Side note, spent the last winter holidays in DC.  Terrific city, and practically abandoned during the week of xmas.  

If it's any consultation the holiday crowds are usually tourists that aren't used to crowds either.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If it's any consultation the holiday crowds are usually tourists that aren't used to crowds either.

That would include me, and I don't know if that's any consolation.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Same here. I always go to the SoHo store.

I catch it once in a while heading back from a late night at the MET: since the museum stays open late Fri and Saturday I can walk back down and hit the store around ten when the tourist frenzy has lessened. Makes a nice break before heading on.

post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

He/I am not in NY.  I'm in NC.  I have been only around NYC, never into the heart of the city.  I'd love to visit around the holidays but just not sure I can handle the crowds, that's what I meant earlier :-)

 

Side note, spent the last winter holidays in DC.  Terrific city, and practically abandoned during the week of xmas.  

Walk one block over from Fifth Ave. and the crowds disappear. Or approach Rockefeller Center and the ice rink from a side street.

post #24 of 57

In other news:

 

"Samsung to build glass cube store next to Apple's"

post #25 of 57
The sketches don't show a little tiny snowblower?

Probably for the best.
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That would include me, and I don't know if that's any consolation.

Tourist crowds are usually slow moving, and confined to certain areas, it's very much unlike the to and fro work crowds that are everywhere, and like stampeding herds lol.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

Considering a trip up during winter school break, but I'm already asking myself if that's wise?

NYC puts on quite the show for the holidays and there's always tactics to duck the crowds. The usual "early and late" that applies to national park icons etc. and then there's the slightly off the beaten path stuff. A slight example is the Rockeffeller Christmas tree: approached from Fifth Ave. is a nightmare of solid people that even twigs my space buttons (and I'm a native and grew up in beach bars my grandparents owned where solid people crowds were the norm), head down either street that parallels the central approach (West 50th orW 49th) and you get great views and no packed-solid humanity. And last winter there was a hot chocolate stand on the northern side!

post #28 of 57

That slow moving part is what get's to me: I wandered into the Fifth Ave crowd approaching Rockefeller Center by accident one time and got REALLY uncomfortable being in packed shoulder to shoulder  and front to back moving at a crawl blocked off by police barriers on the curbside and the buildings on the inside.... broke one block east and: nothing.

post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabel Guy View Post
 

US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 8

 

The Congress shall have power to...promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries....

 

Design patents are limited to 14 years

 

The US Code Title 35 § 173 has been recently amended and is now 15 years.

 

"Patents for designs shall be granted for the term of fourteen years from the date of grant."

 

And according to the Patent Law Treaties Implementation Act of 2012:   "(7) in section 173, by striking fourteen years and inserting 15 years;"

 

The Patent Law Treaties Act was introduced by Senator Leahy at the very onset of the first Samsung vs Apple trial in August of 2012 and signed into law by Obama in December of the same year -- to probably send a message to foreign companies not to mess around with their home team Apple.

post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Looks like the Santambrogiomilano group might have to tear down their simple glass cubed house that went on display late 2009




http://designyoutrust.com/2009/12/santambrogiomilano-simplicity/

It does appear Apple forgot to cite them as prior art when they filed for their patent three years later. They don't list Santambrogiomlano.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #31 of 57
Can't wait to see Samsung try to copy the glass-cube-store concept.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

NYC puts on quite the show for the holidays and there's always tactics to duck the crowds. The usual "early and late" that applies to national park icons etc. and then there's the slightly off the beaten path stuff. A slight example is the Rockeffeller Christmas tree: approached from Fifth Ave. is a nightmare of solid people that even twigs my space buttons (and I'm a native and grew up in beach bars my grandparents owned where solid people crowds were the norm), head down either street that parallels the central approach (West 50th orW 49th) and you get great views and no packed-solid humanity. And last winter there was a hot chocolate stand on the northern side!

 

I'll keep this in mind, thanks! 

post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

I'll keep this in mind, thanks! 

I hope you enjoy it!

 

Oh and check out both Bryant Park (behind the main branch of the New York Public Library) for it's iceskating and little stores (plus they run the fountain all winter and it's gorgeous when it freezes over and turns into this giant ice sculpture and Central Park for it's winter landscape!

[Spoiler Alert]

 

bryant park frozen fountain

post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


It does appear Apple forgot to cite them as prior art when they filed for their patent three years later. They don't list Santambrogiomlano.

 

You know what they say about people who live in glass houses...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #35 of 57
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You know what they say about people who live in glass houses...


You can see them having sex.

post #36 of 57

I don't like the idea of architecture designs being patented, since our house is of square design and utilizes copious amounts of glass, do I have to worry about a knock at the door from Apple lawyers.

 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #37 of 57
Bohlin Cywinski Jackson is perhaps the greatest architectural firm in this country over the past several decades. Funny that they also designed Bill Gates home, on a Mac. An amazing project worthy of the praise it receives.
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't like the idea of architecture designs being patented, since our house is of square design and utilizes copious amounts of glass, do I have to worry about a knock at the door from Apple lawyers.



This is your house? Damn good looking.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't like the idea of architecture designs being patented, since our house is of square design and utilizes copious amounts of glass, do I have to worry about a knock at the door from Apple lawyers.

If they did they couldn't have build your house in Buenos Aires as well:




http://directorioarco.blogspot.com/2009/04/andres-remy-arquitectosthe-black.html
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is your house? Damn good looking.
Nope, I wouldn't post my house in a public forum. I just used one that came the closest to ours. Square architecture is big right now in Switzerland, you can't go a block without seeing one. I just don't see patenting architecture a good idea.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins patent for Steve Jobs-designed Fifth Ave glass cube