or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

post #1 of 308
Thread Starter 
Apple on Thursday confirmed that it will hold a media event on Sept. 9, with a teaser sent to members of the media showcasing the date and a teasing tagline that reads: "Wish we could say more."




In a change from years past, Apple's 2014 September event will be held at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, Calif. Apple typically holds its annual iPhone event at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco, but this year's venue is closer to the company's corporate headquarters and can also accommodate three times as many people.

The Tuesday event will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there with full, live coverage.

In addition to the "iPhone 6," Apple is also expected to unveil a brand new wearable device at this year's event. The hardware is rumored to be a wrist-worn accessory that has come to be known as the "iWatch."

"iWatch" concept by Martin Hajek.


Word of the anticipated inclusion of the "iWatch" at the event leaked this week and is somewhat of a surprise, as it was originally expected that the device would be unveiled later this year. The Sept. 9 event date was first reported by Re/code earlier this month.

Unsurprising, however, is the likely unveiling of the "iPhone 6," as the event will come almost exactly one year after the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c were revealed. This year's iPhone upgrade is rumored to come in two screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches with a faster next-generation "A8" processor.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups with iPhone 5s. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube


If Apple follows its usual release schedule, the new iPhone would find its way into the hands of consumers starting the following Friday, Sept. 19. With a plethora of parts leaks surfacing in recent weeks, particularly for the purported 4.7-inch model, it's believed that Apple is already ramping up production of the "iPhone 6."

Less certain, however, is when the "iWatch" might become available. As of yet, there have been no parts leaked for the expected wearable accessory, and rumored details about the device's design have been inconsistent on everything from shape to screen size.

It's also likely that iOS 8, Apple's next-generation operating system, will launch to the public not long after the Sept. 9 event. If the company follows the same pattern as last year, iOS 8 would become available to the public on Wednesday, Sept. 17.
post #2 of 308
Bastards.


Giggle.
post #3 of 308

Bring it on!

 

post #4 of 308
Ah, the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino instead of San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center. (Nods knowingly and calls his broker.)
post #5 of 308
"Wish we could say MORE"?

"One MORE thing" approaches!
post #6 of 308

me too I wish they could had said more, absolutly no hints on the pic...    oh wait, if you remove 4.4 from 9.9 it gives 5.5 :-)


Edited by herbapou - 8/28/14 at 9:22am
post #7 of 308

"Wish we could say more." It's confirmed!!! They are removing Siri from the iPhone 6

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #8 of 308

FINALLY- A Full-fledged Apple Television!!!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #9 of 308

Why am I not finding this on the Apple website?  Is there a link?

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #10 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

"Wish we could say MORE"?

"One MORE thing" approaches!

I think 'more' not only refers to an iWatch but to larger phones.
post #11 of 308
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the "Wish we would say more" teaser line was a self-deprecating jab at itself basically saying "We wish the iWatch were ready to announce, but we didn't make it in time..."
post #12 of 308
"Say more" ....hmmm.... what would you say to your watch?
post #13 of 308

WOW! This is such a surprise that this is the day of the announcement. Didn't expect that. Wish I saw some leaks about this date.

post #14 of 308

Isn't this a little early for Apple? I thought they only announced the dates 1 week in advance. This is closer to 2 weeks.

 

Unless Apple is trolling the other companies with their announcements coming up.

post #15 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

me too I wish they could had said more, absolutly no hints on the pic...    oh wait, i think I see the number 5.5  :-)

It's the top of the Apple logo with shadows ...

Though, the shape of the leaf could represent a the curved display of the ...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #16 of 308

By the way, I just wanted to point out that just about everybody got the date wrong.

 

Most people were saying that Apple sends out invitations on tuesday, and that Sept 2 would be the likely date for the announcement.

 

It's good that Apple isn't falling into a predictable pattern, and keeps people guessing.

 

I want to see some surprises come Sept 9 also. Apple needs to blow me away with something amazing.

post #17 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post
 

Why am I not finding this on the Apple website?  Is there a link?

 

Oh, its not on the Apple site.  It's just AppleInsider's sloppy reporting of an email invitation as something posted on the Apple website.  Should have known.  Or maybe it was me, who heard it initially from CNBC.  Maybe they are the ones who said the announcement was on the Apple website. 

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #18 of 308
Prefer mine..


Wish we could say more, obvious one, the iWatch has no interface, you need to talk to it.
post #19 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View PostApple needs to blow me away with something amazing.

Even if they don't it'll be an amazingly successful keynote and blow the lid off anything the other clowns could present.

post #20 of 308

"Wish we could say more"...hmm.  Sounds to me like Apple is making a microphone!  ;)

post #21 of 308
Two things: big apple = larger screen, sun dial shadowing = watch..
post #22 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


It's the top of the Apple logo with shadows ...

Though, the shape of the leaf could represent a the curved display of the ...

My thinking too - we know Apple likes to hide hints on the invitation and that shadow is the only thing that jumps out as "odd" to me. 

 

They also like to hide hints in their statements..."wish we could say more" as in "8 hours of battery life on an iPhone isn't enough...wish we could say more. Introducing the iPhone 6 with 12 hours of battery life"...or more...

post #23 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

FINALLY- A Full-fledged Apple Television!!!

Nah! It's CarPlay in an Apple-branded electronic vehicle ...

I'll be looking to trade in my classic 1980 BjornBorg 6 ...

Hanging on to the 1976 PattiMcGuire 36D, tho ...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #24 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a change from years past, Apple's 2014 September event will be held at the Flint Centre for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, Calif. Apple typically holds its annual iPhone event at the Yerba Buena Centre in San Francisco.

 

There, fixed that for you. :-)

 

Could someone/those familiar with these venues please enlighten us plebs on (the) possible reason/s for a change this year.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #25 of 308
I guess the rumor mills were correct on this one
post #26 of 308

Watches also display the date.

 

9.9.2014

 

IMHO, the date is the hint.....

post #27 of 308

Is the white and gray swirly graphic above the date of the ad a hint towards the look of the band for the iWatch/iBand/iTime device???

 

Hmmmm….

post #28 of 308

And AAPL is on the rise too after this announcement.

 

Let's see it break through 103 today at least!

 

How else will I be able to afford new Apple gear that is coming soon?

post #29 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post
 

Even if they don't it'll be an amazingly successful keynote and blow the lid off anything the other clowns could present.

 

I can't disagree with that. - )

post #30 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

There, fixed that for you. :-)

Could someone/those familiar with these venues please enlighten us plebs on (the) possible reason/s for a change this year.

Mo' bigger 🙌
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

By the way, I just wanted to point out that just about everybody got the date wrong.

 

Most people were saying that Apple sends out invitations on tuesday, and that Sept 2 would be the likely date for the announcement.

 

It's good that Apple isn't falling into a predictable pattern, and keeps people guessing.

 

I want to see some surprises come Sept 9 also. Apple needs to blow me away with something amazing.

Everything I've ever read was Sept 9. 

post #32 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
 

Everything I've ever read was Sept 9. 

 

Yes, the actual date for the presentation is Sept 9. Those rumors were correct.

 

I was talking about the rumors for the invitation date. Most people were saying Sept 2.

post #33 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
 

Everything I've ever read was Sept 9.

I think he was saying that the rumors were that the announcement OF the Sept 9th event would be made on Sept. 2nd.  Very meta.

post #34 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

Is the white and gray swirly graphic above the date of the ad a hint towards the look of the band for the iWatch/iBand/iTime device???

Hmmmm….

Or the top of a apple. You decide.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Yes, the actual date for the presentation is Sept 9. Those rumors were correct.

 

I was talking about the rumors for the invitation date. Most people were saying Sept 2.

Ahhh, gotcha. Never cared for when they actually sent it out. Just the announcement date.

post #36 of 308

Let the analysis of the invitation commence!

 

This is a little early than usual. Recent history has the invitations being sent out one week in advance.

 

Question..is this new venue bigger than where the usual iPhone events have been? If so they are expected more press for their announcements.

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #37 of 308
Looks like the Flint Center accommodates a large crowd. That tells me this is going to be a big announcement. Much more than new phones with a bigger screen and improved camera.

16902348.jpg
post #38 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Or the top of a apple. You decide.

I'm going to go with the top of an apple. :-)

post #39 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudman View Post
 

My thinking too - we know Apple likes to hide hints on the invitation and that shadow is the only thing that jumps out as "odd" to me.

 

They also like to hide hints in their statements..."wish we could say more" as in "8 hours of battery life on an iPhone isn't enough...wish we could say more. Introducing the iPhone 6 with 12 hours of battery life"...or more...

Actually, I'd argue that we do not know that at all.  All we know is that people like to read @#$% into every random stylistic choice Apple makes.  And as we see (satirically for the most part) in this thread, one can read anything into anything.

post #40 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a change from years past, Apple's 2014 September event will be held at the Flint Centre for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, Calif. Apple typically holds its annual iPhone event at the Yerba Buena Centre in San Francisco.

There, fixed that for you. :-)

Could someone/those familiar with these venues please enlighten us plebs on (the) possible reason/s for a change this year.

  1. Schedule
  2. Comfort
  3. Accessibility
  4. Acoustics
  5. History

Flint is a beautiful venue -- less than a mile from Apple HQ.

Among others, we saw, the Duquesne Tamburitzans (Lucy was Croatian), Segovia, and the 1984 Mac Intro at Flint.

I like the idea of returning to the valley for major Apple announcements.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'