or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more' - Page 7

post #241 of 308
Hmm ... Where do they even find 2,400 competent journalists to invite?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #242 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

From all over the world.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #243 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbolt View Post

Looks like the leaf of the apple logo in the image is casting a shadow like a sun dial would...

So Apple is bringing out a sundial? Got it. We better start all moving to sunnier climes. 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #244 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

He invitation is very vague , doesn't even have a time listed . Can't really read between the lines with this one .
This is the full invitation:

Screen-Shot-2014-08-28-at-12.02.27-PM1-640x633.png

The leaf in the invitation represents an iMissile about to hit the ground.

Apple has teamed up with the US government, developed a state of the art nuclear weapon and is about to declare war on North Korea.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #245 of 308
Quote:

3 story structure being put up. Assuming its a demo area?

flintcenter.jpg

It's for all the Glassholes to watch the keynote away from normal people.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #246 of 308
Apple's mastery of the media detailed. . .
http://tinyurl.com/nbdc5dt

First time I've seen most of this described and there's tons of inside information. That Apple does all this with a relatively small team is amazing.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/29/14 at 9:27am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #247 of 308
Quote:

They have a lot of staff too that keeps expanding. They need to ensure the media knows when to applaud and laugh so it's good to have staff to kick it off at the right times. They've done events with too many media people at smaller venues and they don't respond to the jokes the same.
post #248 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No they can’t do pretty much what they want, because they'd brand the phone, plus pre install software if they could.

With regards to price, which is the context we were talking about.

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #249 of 308
Wish We Could Say More but The FBI, NSA and US Secret Courts are Preventing Us....
from telling the people of the USA WTF is going on.
Therefore we are releasing the most secure computing device in history.....

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #250 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

With regards to price, which is the context we were talking about.

Since when? I've long time heard that Apple controls the price that the carriers can charge. I remember when Walmart first started selling the iPhone the discount was a mere $1. What changed?
post #251 of 308
Originally Posted by UncommonAsian View Post
If you mean like the Audi RSQ, I'm all for it.

Exactly, though with a higher ground clearance. I say spheres because the obvious answer–superconductor-based levitation–relies on the existence of a room temperature superconductor grid laid underneath all the roads in the nation. Which is a spectacular idea, of course, but is a little ambitious for Apple to undertake right now. Only because we don’t have a room temperature superconductor yet.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We’re talking about the back to school special...

There isn’t a single competent journalist left in the world, so I don’t think that’s much of a concern.

post #252 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We’re talking about the back to school special.

AT&T must not believe in 'back to school' specials, because when they were the sole carrier they never sold the iPhone at a discount, or am I remembering wrong?
post #253 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

That is what I was thinking - "I wish I could say more NOW, but that would ruin the surprise" 

but also likely a reference to the days of Steve Jobs and his famous, "One more thing" which was often delivered as if it were an afterthought but which generally turned out to be the biggest surprise or something entirely unexpected. 

But could be as simple as "Wish we could say more, but if we did, then this notice would not be in keeping with out traditional style of keeping things simple yet bold." 

Well, of course it means that as well. But when has Apple not had double meanings in their announcements? They always have a play on words in these things.

post #254 of 308

...and to me the closeness of the top of the apple logo makes me think that when we pull out of the image it won't be the apple logo after all, it'll be a heart instead.

post #255 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They have a lot of staff too that keeps expanding. They need to ensure the media knows when to applaud and laugh so it's good to have staff to kick it off at the right times. They've done events with too many media people at smaller venues and they don't respond to the jokes the same.

In France they're called claqueurs. Or from P. T. Barnum's day ... shills.

post #256 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do they need the Flint Center which seats 2,400 to announce new iPhones? Last year they announced the 5s at the campus venue which seats 300.

Because the 8th iPhone isn’t the 7th iPhone. The tock revision is always less impressive than the tick.

It's just occurred to me-this will actually be the ninth iPhone, because last year we had the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c. 

Hence 9.9.14. 

iPhone 9 - you heard it here first, folks.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #257 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Click QUOTE under the post to which you're responding. Click the little Pencil icon in the lower left of your own post to edit it.

Indeed.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #258 of 308

'Wish we could say more'

Apple are introducing a new series of silent movies, in an effort to compete with Amazon.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #259 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

E -- Hot Air Balloon rides

F - Pony rides. 

G - Candy Floss.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #260 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Last call for unbelievable iPhone 6 rumors.

Apple are passing over hardware design to Google.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #261 of 308
Quote:

Comes with 'Steve Ballmer Approved' engraved on the back.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #262 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

This may have been said already, but it's interesting that the position of the light source (on the invitation) would be 10 on a clock, and coincides with the shadow of the leaf.  Not saying it means anything, just attention to detail if nothing else.

Looks more like 9:30 to me.  I'm calling BS on the whole sundial theory.

Oh come on, it's the only plausible explanation.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #263 of 308
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah ...

It's been my experience at any major Apple event I've attended or viewed -- that Apple salts the crowd with Apple employees ... mostly technical, but some marketing/evangelists.

They all contribute to (or cause) excitement at the appropriate moments in the program.

Later, the main speaker acknowledges their contributions and thanks them for their efforts.

This is good marketing, HR, and presentation strategy,
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #264 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Quote:

It will only come in one size: 12" and it will replace the iPad and will herald a new product category, the laptabulous phabfone.

Are you trolling?

He's an itrollic - an ironic troll.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #265 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

OK, I'll bite.

1. White invitation for medical. 9.9.2014 represents data (medical data).

2. "Wish we could say more." = the privacy of your bioinformation. Possibly also other privacy issues/features, which Apple excels at, and remember NSA was the largest technology news story in recent memory if not in all of history, AND Apple was embarrassed by accusations of complicity.

3. The Flint Center venue is a perfect place for real performances (sorry Tim). Attendees are very likely to see some amazing music, celebrating a refocus on music, post-Beats. Also expect a new Beats product that blows away every other headphones. Edit: I would not be surprised if it was theatre not music. Theatre is speech ("wish we could say...") and remember the liberal arts.

4. External structure may be a second stage (for those who don't have seats inside), like at a music festival.

Jon

Interesting theories.

But really, I think they're just putting that wording on the invitations to build anticipation, and because they want the announcement to be a surprise.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #266 of 308
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

Classic: With the release of a 128GB iPhone 6, get rid of the classic and draw more people (those who want more storage) to the iPhone.

Ask people shopping for a $250 music-only device to buy a $900 pocket computer? Good luck with that.

Which is exactly what Apple have been doing since 2007.

Profits last year: about $40 billion. 

But no doubt, you could do better.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #267 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandis View Post

Turn the invite upside down and you see two sixes= two iphones , two sizes?

Yeah, but you'll have to wait 2,088 years for them.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #268 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Gimme a break!

This is AppleInsider.

If you want Kitkat, head over to Android's website.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #269 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

3. The Flint Center venue is a perfect place for real performances (sorry Tim). Attendees are very likely to see some amazing music, celebrating a refocus on music, post-Beats. Also expect a new Beats product that blows away every other headphones. Edit: I would not be surprised if it was theatre not music. Theatre is speech ("wish we could say...") and remember the liberal arts.

"iPlaybill.  What Garage Band did for music creation, iPlaybill will do for theatrical productions.  Now anyone can write, direct, and act in a play while at home or on the go.  Imagine the possibilities.  We think this will be our most revolutionary product ever.  And today we're announcing a partnership that we are so excited about.  We have arrangements with all the major community theaters in the United States--and we're expanding this list as fast as we can--so that you'll be able to perform your iPlaybill works in person in front of a real audience, all coordinated and paid for through your iOS device.  And with a click of a button you can make recording of your play available on iTunes immediately.  We provided this software to students at the Cupertino Junior High a days ago, and now we will witness the first live presentation the plays they produced.  Without further ado..."

Maybe.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #270 of 308

Spot on with biomedical.

Wish we could say more.  But can't, as it's private information.

post #271 of 308
Where was the original iPhone launch held?

I hope Apple will provide a live video feed for 9th September.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #272 of 308

Oh, and the external structure, outside gym: stair masters, ellipticals, treadmills all to demonstrate fitness monitoring capability of new iWatch.

post #273 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The leaf in the invitation represents an iMissile about to hit the ground.

Apple has teamed up with the US government, developed a state of the art nuclear weapon . . .

This is so not funny. Any chance you could come to your senses?
Edited by Flaneur - 8/29/14 at 6:58pm
post #274 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's for all the Glassholes to watch the keynote away from normal people.

That population wouldn't even fill local Chili's restaurant.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #275 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple's mastery of the media detailed. . .
http://tinyurl.com/nbdc5dt

First time I've seen most of this described and there's tons of inside information.

Thanks for that link. I never go to that site unless someone puts up a link, so thank you.
Quote:
That Apple does all this with a relatively small team is amazing.

Given their default "we normally don't respond to ...." They probably don't need that many people in their PR dept. ok, bit sarcastic, that one. But it's Sunday.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #276 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

By the way, I just wanted to point out that just about everybody got the date wrong.

That's funny. I've had both September 9 and September 19 bookmarked in my calendar for at least the last few months based off information garnered here, or on similar sites.

post #277 of 308

"Wish we could say more."

More screen, more talk time and one more thing...

post #278 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistry View Post

Shadows suggest sun, sundial = iDial!

Introducing the most power-efficient iOS device yet.

post #279 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

That's funny. I've had both September 9 and September 19 bookmarked in my calendar for at least the last few months based off information garnered here, or on similar sites.

Rene Ritchie at iMore.com has been saying Sept, 9 since the beginning of the year, I believe.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #280 of 308
Quote:

Dammit, busted. I know it's not a simile, but I'll be damned if I could come up with a word that describes what it is, so I used something "close enough" to convey the point. So, quiz for @rtdunham
: If it's not a simile, what IS it?

BTW, LOL @ "simian!"

Maybe an excellent metaphor? And the same for the "well of similes is drying up..." Very meta.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'