or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more' - Page 3

post #81 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Looks like the Flint Center accommodates a large crowd. That tells me this is going to be a big announcement. Much more than new phones with a bigger screen and improved camera.

16902348.jpg

Yes significantly so... good point.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #82 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Can I sign up for automatic shipments of new iOS devices?

That's a pretty good idea, or a app that automatically orders for you.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #83 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

755 seat Yerba Buena vs 2300 Flint Center, over 3x seating capacity! Absolutely flabbergasted that there hasn't been one leak of this watch. Apple security is tighter than Uncle Sam. Or -- as I've often speculated -- Apple is responsible for spreading the majority of rumors about Apple.

What's the over-under on how much AAPL would drop on 9/9/14 is the iWatch isn't unveiled?

Just for fun (at the cost of billions of dollars of market cap temporarily) they should do a fake presentation announcing a new iPhone without a bigger screen ("in new colors!"), a modestly upgrade Apple TV ("now even thinner!"), new ear buds and iPad covers ("with a clicky keyboard!"), and ... one more thing ... a re-rollout of the iPod nano that can be used as a watch.  "Thanks so much, for coming!  We think this is our best lineup ever and we're hoping for some even better products in late 2015 or early 2016!"

Then after the Internet explodes, they pop up a "jk LOL" slide and move onto the real announcements.

post #84 of 308
Originally Posted by ericbolt View Post
Looks like the leaf of the apple logo in the image is casting a shadow like a sun dial would...

Or, you know, like EVERY SINGLE OTHER OBJECT IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE would.

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
I think they are going to present a device that allows you to "wish" anything, and the receiving party will actually hear you "say" it.

No, no, no. Apple has invented genies. You’ll be able to wish anything and RECEIVE it. Additional wishes $1.29 in the iWish store.

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
They want to be sure they get the A Team not the B Team cause the A is going to the Samsung announcement or whatever.

You realize what you’re saying, right?

If the media was sitting in the theater waiting for the Samsung announcement to start and they all got notifications on their iPhones that Apple was announcing something in 15 minutes, there would be such panic for the exits that half of them would be killed.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #85 of 308
Quote:

Seeing capacity at recent Apple events

Apple campus town hall: 301
Yerba Buena Center: 757
San Jose Center for Performing Arts: 1,122

Seating capacity of Flint Center: 2,405

I guess they're expecting people might be interested to see what's new or something. 👍

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #86 of 308
3 story structure being put up. Assuming its a demo area?

flintcenter.jpg
post #87 of 308
Quote:

flintcenter.jpg

It's a holding area for the angels and unicorns. It's gonna be...snif...magical!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #88 of 308

Bigger venue required for bigger phones. More proof that a 5.5" iPhone exists. So obvious that even a limbless monkey could swing from it.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #89 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm more curious about this pop up building they are putting up. Needing lead time for whatever that is could be the reason for the early invitation release. Something like that would start folks checking calendars and rumors that perhaps Apple isn't using their old haunts. So why not just spill it now

Pop up building? I missed that, where is that...say what?

Edit, oh from Rogifan... do we know its from Apple etc?

post #90 of 308
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
Bigger venue required for bigger phones. More proof that a 5.5" iPhone exists. So obvious that even a limbless monkey could swing from it.

I’m bothered by the fact that this is going to become a new meme for all future products.

post #91 of 308
I'm spread eagle, come in for a landing Apple!
post #92 of 308

Ok, I'll go ahead and take a stab at the hidden meaning.

Revolution

Apple rarely does things in public without forethought.

Date- 9/9. They could have realistically picked any number of days in September and October, but wanted the 9/9 for the number 9.

Art- White, with a bit of the logo. Logo I think is there to reduce starkness of an all white invite (and to give Appleness to it). But the choice was more in reference to the Beatles' "White" album.

So the number 9 on the "White" album is reference to Revolution 9, hence revolution. Apple seems to be hinting that the announcement will bring a revolution in some form. (Whether that is in wearables or something for handsets is yet to be known by us.)

post #93 of 308

Regarding hidden meanings in the invite: obviously this speculation happens every year, but I don't recall ever seeing any assessment AFTER the event. Has anyone ever gone back and compared the predictions drawn from the invitation design to what was actually announced to see if any of them were right? Has anyone ever actually uncovered a real clue in any invitation to date?

Then again, I guess there's no way to isolate predictions based solely on the invitation design, since they are polluted by leaks and rumours.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #94 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's a holding area for the angels and unicorns. It's gonna be...snif...magical!

And fairies sprinkling dust, but gotta make sure that the angels, and dust don't mix, because then everything will look magical.😄
post #95 of 308
Quote:

Hey @sog35, how did you do that trick?
post #96 of 308

New Apple TV + little cam/mic that turns your TV into a full-sized video conference using Facetime. Let grandma&grandpa see the little ones full sized. And say a bit more...

+ Apple TV can be directed from the iWatch or iPhone or iPad so you get a better UI than with that horrible remote.

+ Apple TV Store

post #97 of 308

Flint Center - 1984 - Macintosh

Flint Center - 1998 - iMac

Flint Center - 2014 - ??????????

post #98 of 308

My guess is that the constructed building on site is for a connected home that you'll be able to control locks, lights, fans, etc from your iPhone and iWatch. Best way to actually show its use: actually using it.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #99 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m bothered by the fact that this is going to become a new meme for all future products.

I wouldn't worry about it. As evidenced by the incredible stretch in my post, the well of similes is drying up.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #100 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My expectations are sky high!

Remember what Cue said! The best product pipeline in 25 years! 

This could very well be the biggest Apple unveiling and event ever!

Me too.  If we don't get 2 iPhone sizes, Mac mini, Retina iMac, iWatch, and a revamped Apple TV- then they are clearly doomed.

Seriously though- I want an Apple TV refresh more than anything else...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #101 of 308
Quote:

Please make it Tallest!

post #102 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Seriously though- I want an Apple TV refresh more than anything else...

To be honest, I'm not even sure what I want!

I'm just going to watch the event, hopefully live, and then I will decide what to get afterwards.

Am I going to buy an iWatch? Maybe

Am I going to buy a new Apple TV? Maybe

Am I going to buy a new Mac Mini? Maybe

The one thing that I know for sure that I will be getting is a new iPad.

post #103 of 308
I'm starting to get the feeling that this is a really, really big event -- maybe even the biggest event in Apple history.

Hmm ... How large is the attendance at the President's annual State of the Union Preso?

I did some surfing and could find no mention of any Apple Event at Flint Center except the 1984 Mac announcement ...

Hmm ... 1984 - 2014 ... 30 years ... lots of great successes (and a few failures) in those 30 years ...

The Flint location in Cupertino gives easy access to many tech celebrities, present and former Apple notables ... I wouldn't be surprised if Tim were to publicly introduce and thank people like; Woz, Laurene Jobs, Mike Markkula, Scottie, Gene Carter ...

This event has a very pleasant odor of success about it ...
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/28/14 at 11:01am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #104 of 308
I don't expect Apple to beat the watch I bought a few days ago.
I will be truly amazed if they do.
post #105 of 308
Well, there is a very Big apple logo in the background of invite?!
post #106 of 308
I just hope the Gizmodo muppets don't steal anything.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #107 of 308
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Please make it Tallest!

What, in the same vein as the text-image-text “memes” we see? Ew, no. I prefer memetic associations that grow naturally.

Elevator shots, for example, or Mr. Blurrycam. 

post #108 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I did some surfing and could find no mention of any Apple Event at Flint Center except the 1984 Mac announcement ...

If you read my prior post, you'll see that the 1998 iMac unveiling was at the Flint Center. 

Apple has held three previous events at Flint Center

http://www.loopinsight.com/

post #109 of 308
Quote:

Regarding hidden meanings in the invite: obviously this speculation happens every year, but I don't recall ever seeing any assessment AFTER the event. Has anyone ever gone back and compared the predictions drawn from the invitation design to what was actually announced to see if any of them were right? Has anyone ever actually uncovered a real clue in any invitation to date?

There have been a couple of hints in the invites. The iPhone 5 one was this where they used shadows:

The 5s event was this where the 5c also launched:

The 4s was this where Siri was announced:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan 

Probably just the first box the iPhone 5.5" comes in.

We know that Yosemite is coming as well as iOS 8. There will be the iPhone 6 and new iPads to show off. Retina iMacs are a possibility. Retina Broadwell Air is a possibility too. There will be parts for a drop-in Mac Pro upgrade. They've bought Beats so I'd expect them to be showing off headphones, something will likely happen with how they deliver music because iPod sales are way down.

The bigger event hall could simply be down to increased interest in their events, they've been selling out very quickly:

http://www.zdnet.com/after-selling-out-in-2-minutes-its-time-to-re-think-wwdc-7000014564/

If this is invite-only though, it suggests something important is being announced and they've been dropping some hints that would be the case. They mentioned there was a new category, which hasn't been clarified yet so this could be a wearable of some sort or a TV or a new way to deliver music.
post #110 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What's the over-under on how much AAPL would drop on 9/9/14 is the iWatch isn't unveiled?

If history is any indicator, AAPL will fall on 9.9 regardless of what Apple unveils. If per chance AAPL goes up on 9.9 a lot of short sellers are going to lose their shirts!

post #111 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

My guess is that the constructed building on site is for a connected home that you'll be able to control locks, lights, fans, etc from your iPhone and iWatch. Best way to actually show its use: actually using it.

Yeah, but ... they could demo the connected home features in a small corner of that building -- you can use scale models of doors, garage doors, lights ... In 1978 Mountain Computer had a Voice controller device for the Apple ][. They used it to control all of the above using scale models that fit on a desktop.

It's gotta' be something much more interesting/disruptive ... or just a large hands-on area where 2,500 attendees can concurrently fondle and experiment with the new products ...

Three stories doesn't make sense except for impressive scale and/or better cooling of a small area containing lots of people ...

Or, maybe it's just a skating rink and All-Skate!

Next Year Levi Stadium or bust!

post #112 of 308
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
We know that Yosemite is coming as well as iOS 8. There will be the iPhone 6 and new iPads to show off. Retina iMacs are a possibility. Retina Broadwell Air is a possibility too. There will be parts for a drop-in Mac Pro upgrade. They've bought Beats so I'd expect them to be showing off headphones, something will likely happen with how they deliver music because iPod sales are way down.

Do you really think they’d just shoehorn everything into one event? It’s the iPhone event.

If this is invite-only though, it suggests something important is being announced...

It’s always invite only.

post #113 of 308

Good to see Apple using a proper date format. /s

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #114 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you read my prior post, you'll see that the 1998 iMac unveiling was at the Flint Center. 

Apple has held three previous events at Flint Center

http://www.loopinsight.com/

I was going to ask you for a link -- thx.

The shareholders event doesn't count, so you are right about the schedule of events you originally posted!

post #115 of 308
Quote:

It’s always invite only.

Do you think Gizmodo got an invitation?

post #116 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

I think 'more' not only refers to an iWatch but to larger phones.

Couldn't care less about the overhyped iWatch, specially as I have a great RADO already - let's see what the iPhone 6 brings.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #117 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good to see Apple using a proper date format. /s

Shouldn't it be: 2014.9.9 ?

post #118 of 308
Siri is listed as the voice technology in iOS 7 devices as if later devices could have some other voice based smart assistant technology. We know that Apple will have offline voice recognition at some point and this may be what they are hinting at with "We wish we could say more". There is a lot more they could do with voice control. Many features of iOS are buried several layers deep in the UI but could be accessed instantly via voice. If this then that type features are also a natural use of voice: "Mute all sound when I am in a movie theater" or "Set the temperature to 76 degrees when I am at home".
post #119 of 308
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Do you think Gizmodo got an invitation?

From seeing a URL here and reading one reply, it seems they did, for some reason. I’m not going to their website to confirm; I haven’t been there since the theft of the iPhone 4.

I’d ban their organization for as long as it exists, but that’s me.

post #120 of 308
The iWatch - Apple's first new product since 2010. Looking forward to seeing it even though not interested in anything iWearable.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'