or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 6' to supposedly incorporate NFC, new secure enclave for mobile payments

Apple's 'iPhone 6' to supposedly incorporate NFC, new secure enclave for mobile payments - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

any payment system that relies on your phones Internet connection is doomed to fail. A phone with a secure enclave can be used just like a chipped card.

Having read/write access to an enclave makes it more vulnerable, which is why the fingerprint one has no external access. However, storing payment data on the filesystem can potentially allow software that breaks out of a sandbox direct read access to it, even if it's encrypted. An enclave can be physically shut off from the OS when it's not being used for NFC or some other protocol. It makes sense to have an enclave for payment data but I'd expect it to be separate from the fingerprint one because that one should never get read access from the OS.
post #42 of 47
My dos centavos:

The new iWatch will actually be the device with the NFC in it, so all you have to do is wave your watch in front of the NFC POS reader and you're done! It will communicate via BT to the iPhone and let the iPhone do the "heavy lifting" for data xfer to your payment system.

You heard it here first!
post #43 of 47

I'd like to see Apple launch its own modern alternative to the old technology NFC.

If anyone can pull this off it's Apple, they are large enough, and all the others will follow, if possible.

post #44 of 47

Yeah in Ontario, Canada, NFC is super popular.  It's almost everywhere.  The grocery stores, the gas stations, the coffee shops, etc.  I used passbook almost everyday at my old job, going to starbucks every morning.  I've also got a movie theatre card in there, but I buy coffee a lot more often than I go out to a movie.  Passbook is useful if you happen to fit the scope of the cards that are available for it.  But NFC in an iPhone, for making credit card payments, would be huge.  At least where I live it would be.

I understand what some of the americans on here are saying though, my understanding is that NFC is super low penetration in the United States.  But maybe Apple is trying to change that.  NFC on an iPhone would be way more secure than a credit card because it can be activated via TouchID.  Because of the added security they could probably reasonable raise the charge limit.

post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

Because of the added security they could probably reasonable raise the charge limit.

Is your limit for touch $200? I'm trying to figure out if it's the same for everybody, different for each bank, or different for each person.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

@tjwolf, Maybe the secure enclave on the iPhone (or iPad or iPod touch) involves just the data that connects the Touch ID to the credit card data that Apple also already stores on its servers.

That, to, is a possibility.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Daring Fireball:

Follow-up joke: It would be cool, and would make a lot of sense, if the new wearable thing had the same magic payment apparatus.

If a thing worn on your wrist has NFC, then you could indicate to it that you want to pay for something by shaking hands with the shop keeper.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's 'iPhone 6' to supposedly incorporate NFC, new secure enclave for mobile payments
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 6' to supposedly incorporate NFC, new secure enclave for mobile payments