or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks - Page 2

post #41 of 102
Apple will confirm or deny all this on Sep. 9th? Funny, I can't recall Apple ever using their events to deny rumors.
post #42 of 102
If you turn the chip sideways...it's written NXP!
post #43 of 102
9to5Mac speculates that the new iPhone displays will be 3x as 3x assets have been found in iOS 8.

http://tinyurl.com/q42ybvv

I hope so because 3x is so much sharper than 2x

2gv6c1e.jpg
post #44 of 102
This look gorgeous. I guess we know how it looks like. I am interested in what's inside now.
post #45 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's a gorgeous bloody phone. I'll take two.

I remember people hating the iPhone 4 look when it was leaked by Gizmodo. It didn't take long after the official announcement for them to say it is the best phone design.
post #46 of 102

Ug-ly.  Don't like the bands, don't like the size, don't like the protruding camera.  I won't be getting this.  I've had an iPhone in my house since Gen-1...i have had every model of iPhone (except for the 4s and 5)...and i honestly think that if they drop the "small" iPhone, i'm done.  I wasn't even crazy about the 4" screen but i have one, and it frustrates me every time i have to tap the top of the screen (reach issues).

post #47 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I'm not totally up to speed on all of these technologies; but wasn't it argued earlier on that Apple would not be going with NFC for this type of thing? Opting for iBeacon, or some other type of technology?
In any case, I'm sure they will use whatever is most advantageous for them to use.

 

iBeacon cannot be used for payments, it is simply a location/proximity technology... no information is ever transferred.

 

People have pooh-poohed NFC simply because Apple had yet to release a device that included the technology. More than likely they wanted to put everything else in place before actually adopting it. If I had to guess how Apple plans to implement their mobile payment system...

 

Step 1. Use Touch ID for authorization

Step 2. Pull your iTunes account information (credit card)

Step 3. Enter your credit card's security code (this step might not be needed, but is an extra level of security)

Step 4. Information is transferred to the POS terminal via NFC

 

Currently Apple does not have to use NFC in their own stores, because they can make and authorize the transaction directly through your iTunes account. Proprietors of businesses outside of Apple would not be able to do this without using an extra device that could interact with Apple's iTunes.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


I remember people hating the iPhone 4 look when it was leaked by Gizmodo. It didn't take long after the official announcement for them to say it is the best phone design.
 

nope, i still hated the look of the 4, I waited quite a while to get one, and hated having to use a case.  in my mind i would get paranoid about the glass cracking if i set it down or dropped it.  I had seen so many of my friends that had crack screens or backs.  Plus the sharper edges i never got used to after owning the 3g & 3gs for so long.

post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Sorry, I just can't see how they will release this device with a protruding lens.
(remaining skeptical)

They released the iPod Touch with a protruding lens.  I hate that too.  so basically apple is telling us now we have to use a case if we want our phone or iPod to sit flat on the table.  or face down which i'll never do without a case.  I hate cases about as much as i hate a "bra" for a car.

post #50 of 102
The lens is not going to protrude. Honestly, you guys read one word in the title of a post and then just run with it, for weeks after you've seen the bare metal shell of the back, with that area on the top (and bottom) recessed below the level of the main part of the back. And now you've seen...



that area filled with a metal panel surrounded by plastic (or something), obviously an antenna, which the lens will be flush with.
post #51 of 102
The glass doesn't fit right and the overall fit and finish is subpar compared to a normal Apple product, but this glorified mock-up does encompass all the rumored feature changes for the iPhone 6. He might not be too far off.
post #52 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

nope, i still hated the look of the 4, I waited quite a while to get one, and hated having to use a case.  in my mind i would get paranoid about the glass cracking if i set it down or dropped it.  I had seen so many of my friends that had crack screens or backs.  Plus the sharper edges i never got used to after owning the 3g & 3gs for so long.

Why would you say, "nope"? That happened but that doesn't mean you were one of those people. I was certainly one of those people when those horrible grainy photos appears on Gizmodo.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #53 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

9to5Mac speculates that the new iPhone displays will be 3x as 3x assets have been found in iOS 8.

http://tinyurl.com/q42ybvv

I hope so because 3x is so much sharper than 2x

[image]

1) Thanks for using the url shortener.

2) Gruber had a very detailed article as to why he thought Apple would be using 3x images and what he believes the new resolution will be and why. He makes a compelling case.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #54 of 102
Hopefully, this is not the iPhone 6! The back looks ugly! The antenna separators are showing and make it look like the HTC One M7-M8 phones. Oh my! No!
post #55 of 102
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post
The antenna separators are showing…


Just like the four models before it. What’s your point?

post #56 of 102
Finally a proper 5.5" leak. Should have room for a lot of work. Oops.. First I thought both were the new models. But the small one is the current model I guess? Ok.. So if this is the 4.7" model it's pretty large already..
Edited by palegolas - 8/29/14 at 10:49pm
post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Sorry, I just can't see how they will release this device with a protruding lens.

(remaining skeptical)

 



If this is a protruding lens – and I think it is – it seems, the iPhone won't get much thinner in future iterations.
post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMG View Post
 

 

I will honestly say that I haven't messed with any of those iPhone external lenses that are available out there, but would the protruding lens better enable a host of external lenses that can better align by 'clicking' over the small extrusion and maybe magnetically stay in place?  Could this be a reason for the protruding?


That actually is a good idea!

post #59 of 102
What screen are they using? Almost looks like an OLED in this video.
post #60 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

To clarify; it's not an aesthetic thing (so much) as a use thing. The fact that the device will no longer lay flat on it's back (not to mention it no longer standing flat on it's edges), loses a lot of practical use along with a good quantity of apps.
Also seems to me that along with the increased size, that little protruding ring will quickly wear a hole through (stretched) rear pants pockets.

You shouldn't put phones or wallets in back pockets because it damages nerves in your back.

As for the ring itself, I hate asymmetrical textured surfaces, The protrouding lens is going to screw over anyone who was using the iphone as a impromptu bubble-level, however there will likely be third-party bumpers that solve that
post #61 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't think more RAM would be considered unnecessary. Certainly not on the iPad. My 5S is better than my iPad Air in that regard but I do have occasional app crashes. Hopefully there are improvements with iOS 8. Safari especially needs it.

why are you bringing up iPads when were discussing iPhone?
post #62 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

To clarify; it's not an aesthetic thing (so much) as a use thing. The fact that the device will no longer lay flat on it's back (not to mention it no longer standing flat on it's edges), loses a lot of practical use along with a good quantity of apps.
Also seems to me that along with the increased size, that little protruding ring will quickly wear a hole through (stretched) rear pants pockets.

then maybe your pants are too damned tight.

using the phone flat on a table top is an atypical use case. mine is always in hand or propped up.
post #63 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

It only has 1Gb of RAM!!! I'm not buying this! Not in 2014!

yes, you will.
post #64 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Ug-ly.  Don't like the bands, don't like the size, don't like the protruding camera.  I won't be getting this.  I've had an iPhone in my house since Gen-1...i have had every model of iPhone (except for the 4s and 5)...and i honestly think that if they drop the "small" iPhone, i'm done.  I wasn't even crazy about the 4" screen but i have one, and it frustrates me every time i have to tap the top of the screen (reach issues).

so which android will you use? not one with a big screen, huh?
post #65 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

nope, i still hated the look of the 4, I waited quite a while to get one, and hated having to use a case.  in my mind i would get paranoid about the glass cracking if i set it down or dropped it.  I had seen so many of my friends that had crack screens or backs.  Plus the sharper edges i never got used to after owning the 3g & 3gs for so long.

too bad, because the glass back took all of three minutes and fifty bucks to replace. oops.

I needed a case on my 3g and 3GS as well. the plastic cracked when dropped or knocked off.
post #66 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why are you bringing up iPads when were discussing iPhone?
Because right now they're using the same chip in both devices so if iPhone gets 1GB ram wouldn't iPad too?
post #67 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

that area filled with a metal panel surrounded by plastic (or something), obviously an antenna, which the lens will be flush with.

 

I dunno. I don't think the bands are going to protrude. It looks like the plan is for them to be flush with the back. If that's the case, the camera lens will protrude.

 

I think it would actually be kinda cool if the bands did stick out from the surface of the back a bit, especially if they're made of rubber. It would provide a nice way to lay the phone on its back without it sliding around, and would provide some grip points to prevent it flying out of one's hand and hitting the pavement. Twice. Not that something like that would ever happen to anyone WE know...

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #68 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

using the phone flat on a table top is an atypical use case.

 

Then I must know a lot of atypical people. I see co-workers doing it all the time, and both my wife and daughter do.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

mine is always in hand or propped up.

 

Oh, well in that case, never mind. Whatever you think is best is fine with me. Do you want us to pass along the message that they're using it wrong, or will you be issuing a memo?

 

EDIT: Forgot to include whatever emoticon means "Lighten up and have a laugh!"


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 8/30/14 at 12:40pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #69 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

nope, i still hated the look of the 4, I waited quite a while to get one, and hated having to use a case.  in my mind i would get paranoid about the glass cracking if i set it down or dropped it.  I had seen so many of my friends that had crack screens or backs.  Plus the sharper edges i never got used to after owning the 3g & 3gs for so long.
so which android will you use? not one with a big screen, huh?

 

If Apple continues to follow the screen size trends, then there will be an iPhone mini in the future that will offer a smaller screen size for those who prefer it.

post #70 of 102
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Because right now they're using the same chip in both devices so if iPhone gets 1GB ram wouldn't iPad too?

 

That’s not what the rumor says.

 

The rumor had BETTER be BS, by the way.

post #71 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I dunno. I don't think the bands are going to protrude. It looks like the plan is for them to be flush with the back. If that's the case, the camera lens will protrude.

I think it would actually be kinda cool if the bands did stick out from the surface of the back a bit, especially if they're made of rubber. It would provide a nice way to lay the phone on its back without it sliding around, and would provide some grip points to prevent it flying out of one's hand and hitting the pavement. Twice. Not that something like that would ever happen to anyone WE know...

I'm hoping the bands protrude a bit and the final product uses Liquid Metal for the bands. It's about time Apple puts more Liquid Metal in their products. As for the comments about 1 GB vs. 2 GB if Apple can get the job done in 1 GB then I am fine with less RAM. They don't need to follow the inefficient android lead in this area.
post #72 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

To clarify; it's not an aesthetic thing (so much) as a use thing. The fact that the device will no longer lay flat on it's back (not to mention it no longer standing flat on it's edges), loses a lot of practical use along with a good quantity of apps.
Also seems to me that along with the increased size, that little protruding ring will quickly wear a hole through (stretched) rear pants pockets.

then maybe your pants are too damned tight.

using the phone flat on a table top is an atypical use case. mine is always in hand or propped up.

Wow. You really do have all the answers. Thanks so much!!

post #73 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

that area filled with a metal panel surrounded by plastic (or something), obviously an antenna, which the lens will be flush with.

 

I dunno. I don't think the bands are going to protrude. It looks like the plan is for them to be flush with the back. If that's the case, the camera lens will protrude.

 

I think it would actually be kinda cool if the bands did stick out from the surface of the back a bit, especially if they're made of rubber. It would provide a nice way to lay the phone on its back without it sliding around, and would provide some grip points to prevent it flying out of one's hand and hitting the pavement. Twice. Not that something like that would ever happen to anyone WE know...

 

Have the bands stick out? I'm sorry, but that's a rubbish idea.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #74 of 102

I'm sad about the protruding lens and the ugly bands. Looks terribly bulky as well. Oh well, no doubt it'll look better on 9th.

 

Edit: I perhaps sounded a bit gloomy. I love the thinness of this phone and the rounded edges. Should make it pleasanter to hold.


Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/30/14 at 1:17pm
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #75 of 102
You guys are blind. Look at the pictures! You saw the camera lens in one drawing "protruding" .77mm from the bare metal of the backshell. Then you saw a picture of the bare metal backshell, revealing that this area is recessed a similar distance below the main area of the back. Now you've seen this recess filled in with an antenna and its plastic (?) separators. Obviously the camera lens will be flush with this. The lens will not protrude! You're just getting this from one word in the title of one post from weeks ago, and all the photographic evidence that disproves it just goes in one eye and out the other! It's positively amazing!
post #76 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Apologies, then. Do try to remember it next time; we get an awful lot of people who believe (“believe”) the strangest things. 😩


Same way they released the iPod touch with a protruding lens. If it means better image quality than it would have otherwise had, there’s no reason to complain. You don’t complain that your camera has a protruding lens! I’d have been fine had they just made the entire thing thicker to compensate for the laws of physics, but I’m used to an iPhone 0.46” thick.

Wild-assed speculation: wouldn't it be cool if Apple designed the phone to have a sapphire backing, with the lens actually a part of the material, in one continuous surface?
post #77 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

You guys are blind. Look at the pictures! You saw the camera lens in one drawing "protruding" .77mm from the bare metal of the backshell. Then you saw a picture of the bare metal backshell, revealing that this area is recessed a similar distance below the main area of the back. Now you've seen this recess filled in with an antenna and its plastic (?) separators. Obviously the camera lens will be flush with this. The lens will not protrude! You're just getting this from one word in the title of one post from weeks ago, and all the photographic evidence that disproves it just goes in one eye and out the other! It's positively amazing!

 

We're looking at the video which shows it protruding.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #78 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

We're looking at the video which shows it protruding.

There'll be some initial teeth gnashing if the device in the video is indeed the new iPhone, but I just bought my son a iPod touch and the protruding lens is a non issue. Ready the Worcestershire sauce for the crow eaters.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #79 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

We're looking at the video which shows it protruding.

There'll be some initial teeth gnashing if the device in the video is indeed the new iPhone, but I just bought my son a iPod touch and the protruding lens is a non issue. Ready the Worcestershire sauce for the crow eaters.

 

I always try to look at both sides of the story.

 

On one hand, it might be handy having the lens jut out; it would mean that you could discern its orientation in your pocket more easily than now. But my worry is dust and dirt building up round it, it catching on things, it feeling awkward when holding in landscape, for starters. Ideally, I would prefer it flush. But if it's discreet enough, it may be acceptable.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

We're looking at the video which shows it protruding.

I can only imagine this video you're talking about is in the box labeled: "The Connection Was Interrupted"? The text says that's from these Russian Gomers who cobbled together bits and pieces to build some Frankenphone. Why would you imagine they know what they're doing? Look at the pictures of the actual parts and you'll see I'm right. The recess has been filled. The camera "protrudes" from the backshell, but that's (.77mm?) behind this antenna assembly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks