or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi

post #1 of 118
Thread Starter 
Apple has confirmed hiring Anand Lal Shimpi, the 32 year old founder of tech enthusiast site AnandTech.

Anand Lal Shimpi


Shimpi noted in an AnandTech posting last night that he was "officially retiring from the tech publishing world."

John Paczkowski reported for Re/Code this afternoon that Apple had confirmed hiring Shimpi, without detailing what he would be doing at the company.

Shimpi wrote that he began writing about technology in 1997 at the age of 14, stating, "I liked the idea of sharing knowledge online and the thought of building a resource where everyone who was interested in tech could find something helpful."

AnandTech will continue to publish under its new editor in chief Ryan Smith.
post #2 of 118

Oh wow!

 

That's really damn cool!

 

I've been visiting Anandtech for years and I love reading their in-depth reviews and analysis.

 

I haven't been all that thrilled with some of Apple's recent hires, but this one gets two thumbs up from me!

post #3 of 118
1) I read about him leaving AnandTech yesterday, which will still be profitable for him, but I wasn't expecting him to be hired by Apple.

2) He's been taking crap from "true" AnandTech readers for years ever since he decided to use and report on his first Apple product. Him coming to Apple is going to send those assclowns into a fury. I can't wait!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

 Him coming to Apple is going to send those assclowns into a fury. I can't wait!

 

Tell me about it. I read the comments section of that site from time to time, and there are always moronic Fandroids with their heads up their butts who are accusing them of being too favorable to Apple and for devoting too much space to Apple products and to Apple reviews.

 

Those monkeys are going to go apeshit! I can't wait! This is hilarious!:lol: 

post #5 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1)

2) He's been taking crap from "true" AnandTech readers for years ever since he decided to use and report on his first Apple product. Him coming to Apple is going to send those assclowns into a fury. I can't wait!

I was just thinking about this. Any time I read an Apple review on his site the haters were out in full force claiming he was an Apple fanboy. Can only imagine what they'll be saying now. 1biggrin.gif
post #6 of 118

Awesome news! I love his articles!  I wonder what he will be doing? 

post #7 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Tell me about it. I read the comments section of that site from time to time, and there are always moronic Fandroids with their heads up their butts who are accusing them of being too favorable to Apple and for devoting too much space to Apple products and to Apple reviews.

Those monkeys are going to go apeshit! I can't wait! This is hilarious!lol.gif  

I wouldn't call most of them Fandroids, but rather those that simply hate for which Apple stands. Anand has a lot more readers since the first time reviewed an Apple product so the percentage of anti-Apple bashing has decreased but there are still plenty of haters. With his farewell article there are over 300 comments with several saying how Anand is great except for reviewing or using Apple products, or up until he starting doing so… as if he can't be a fan of multiple products and companies.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 118

Any guesses what role he'll play at Apple?

post #9 of 118

And where did Re/Code come from?  It seems like most of the stories reported here over the past few days are credited to that site.

post #10 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Oh wow!

That's really damn cool!

I've been visiting Anandtech for years and I love reading their in-depth reviews and analysis.

I haven't been all that thrilled with some of Apple's recent hires, but this one gets two thumbs up from me!

Why? How do you expect it to increase the value you extract from apple products?

Me, I could care less if they hired anand or resurrected tom and hired him. They're both tech journalists and have little bearing on the devices I enjoy.
post #11 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Why? How do you expect it to increase the value you extract from apple products?

Me, I could care less if they hired anand or resurrected tom and hired him. They're both tech journalists and have little bearing on the devices I enjoy.

 

He's a smart guy and knows a lot about tech.

 

I have no idea what he'll be doing for Apple, nobody knows, since they're not telling, but his hiring is obviously a benefit to Apple in my opinion.

post #12 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I read about him leaving AnandTech yesterday, which will still be profitable for him, but I wasn't expecting him to be hired by Apple.

2) He's been taking crap from "true" AnandTech readers for years ever since he decided to use and report on his first Apple product. Him coming to Apple is going to send those assclowns into a fury. I can't wait!

 

Fantastic turn of events (after reading today he was leaving).

 

So far, the AnandTech blog is rather cordial on his leaving. I could (barely) understand his down-to-earth but in-depth CPU reviews, Intel and otherwise. He's up there with Stokes and Siracusa (formerly Ars Technica) IMO.

post #13 of 118
Effing hilarious. The guy writes a milk toast goodbye where he'll be busy but doesn't mention he's going to work for Apple. Most likely he didn't want to read the hate responses.

People have no balls. He spent most of his career slacking on Apple and now takes a job with my former company.

Grow a nutsack, Anand, and be honest to your weird cluster of nutballs on Anandtech. Face the music.

You would have my respect if you ever showed respect for Apple.
post #14 of 118

Sometimes people mature and grow up. Humans aren't static objects.

 

Look into it.

 

(We know you won't.)

post #15 of 118
Sad to hear of him going. Happy to hear where he went.

Apple accepts ALS (Anand Lai Shimpi) again.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #16 of 118

I have always enjoyed Anand's Apple product reviews. I well remember his testing of the A7 SoC, and how that review changed the initial scoff reaction to that SoC.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #17 of 118
Always an exceptional review site, and the guy obviously knows his stuff.

What apple needs:

A truly moderated forum where user ideas that are GOOD are actually implemented properly.

I have made suggestions in regard to itunes software bugs and feature issue and NOBODY reads or filters them and MANY of the problems still aren't fixed.

Apple needs to use the free customer "beta" testers and crowdsourced feedback to make rapid corrections. If they don't they are like any other corporate behemoth.
post #18 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Effing hilarious. The guy writes a milk toast goodbye where he'll be busy but doesn't mention he's going to work for Apple. Most likely he didn't want to read the hate responses.

People have no balls. He spent most of his career slacking on Apple and now takes a job with my former company.

Grow a nutsack, Anand, and be honest to your weird cluster of nutballs on Anandtech. Face the music.

You would have my respect if you ever showed respect for Apple.

And yet his farewell yesterday does contain some negative comments about him and Apple, and it's not like this news 24 hours later isn't going to mean the assclowns aren't going to come back to AnandTech to be, well, assclowns. Since he didn't disable comments yesterday and since they are still active today everything you've written about him not wanting to read hate responses in moot. He also mentioned this on Twitter whose middle name is literally twit, not to mention dozens of articles and their commenters across the internet right now so he's not going to get away any hate filled responses if he chooses to read any of these forums.

The bottom line is his departure was to focus on him thanking his readers and staff and assure readers that AnandTech will still be doing their excellent reviews and analysis.
Edited by SolipsismX - 9/1/14 at 12:03pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post
 

Any guesses what role he'll play at Apple?

 

I wonder if he'll help somehow with press relations? 

 

edit:

 

just thinking about this some more... I wonder if Apple has noticed the enthusiasm with which people read Anand's stories about the A-series of chips and other technical aspects of what Apple does, and wants to better foster that enthusiasm. Maybe Apple is realizing that a lot of technical details of their products (especially the A chips) are going to get out there anyway, so they might as well take control of the message a little better. Anand could help them better understand what people are interested in and how to best deal with his branch of the tech press. 


Edited by Blastdoor - 8/31/14 at 6:24pm
post #20 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post
 

I wonder if he'll help somehow with press relations? 

Has Apple ever made any attempt at giving a sh*t about press relations in the past decade? I've owned AAPL stock continuously since 2005, and as far as I can tell, the answer is NO.

 

Apple announces stuff. The press deals with it. End of discussion. There is no molly-coddling.


Edited by mpantone - 8/31/14 at 6:30pm
post #21 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Has Apple ever made any attempt at giving a sh*t about press relations in the past decade? I've owned AAPL stock continuously since 2005, and as far as I can tell, the answer is NO.

 

Apple announces stuff. The press deals with it. End of discussion. There is no molly-coddling.

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/30/longtime-apple-pr-head-katie-cotton-officially-retires

post #22 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

 

I wonder if he'll help somehow with press relations? 

 

I wonder if I'd do that - create Anandtech where I'm my own boss and then go to a company to help with press relations... Probably not. What are his dreams - we don't know. What is his expertise - knowing and writing about tech. 

 

If I were him I'd only have accepted a truly outstanding challenge/position. I think he'll most likely end up in R&D. 

post #23 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Has Apple ever made any attempt at giving a sh*t about press relations in the past decade? I've owned AAPL stock continuously since 2005, and as far as I can tell, the answer is NO.

Apple announces stuff. The press deals with it. End of discussion. There is no molly-coddling.

As @Blastdoor notes, there is no molly-coddling but there was plenty of Katie Cottoning. 😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I wonder if I'd do that - create Anandtech where I'm my own boss and then go to a company to help with press relations... Probably not. What are his dreams - we don't know. What is his expertise - knowing and writing about tech. 

If I were him I'd only have accepted a truly outstanding challenge/position. I think he'll most likely end up in R&D. 

I have no idea what he'll be doing but I 1) think his systematic and scientific approach to breaking down a product to test fits in perfectly with Apple, and 2) could see him eventually groomed as an exec and even Cook's replacement years down the road.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if he'll help somehow with press relations? 

edit:

just thinking about this some more... I wonder if Apple has noticed the enthusiasm with which people read Anand's stories about the A-series of chips and other technical aspects of what Apple does, and wants to better foster that enthusiasm. Maybe Apple is realizing that a lot of technical details of their products (especially the A chips) are going to get out there anyway, so they might as well take control of the message a little better. Anand could help them better understand what people are interested in and how to best deal with his branch of the tech press. 

I was thinking the same thing. Anand would make an outstanding SME for press relations. Alternatively, he would likely make an excellent senior product manager or quality assurance manager for hardware or "user experience."

I enjoy Anand's reviews of technology more than Daniel Eran Dilger's editorials (I believe the two are comparable in enthusiasm if no where else).
post #25 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Has Apple ever made any attempt at giving a sh*t about press relations in the past decade? I've owned AAPL stock continuously since 2005, and as far as I can tell, the answer is NO.

 

Apple announces stuff. The press deals with it. End of discussion. There is no molly-coddling.

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/30/longtime-apple-pr-head-katie-cotton-officially-retires

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I wonder if I'd do that - create Anandtech where I'm my own boss and then go to a company to help with press relations... Probably not. What are his dreams - we don't know. What is his expertise - knowing and writing about tech. 

If I were him I'd only have accepted a truly outstanding challenge/position. I think he'll most likely end up in R&D. 

Good points.... Probably more D than R, though.
post #26 of 118

I can see one potential downside of this.

 

Anand wrote the most comprehensive articles on the architecture of the A6 and A7 (esp the A7). Articles that the haters absolutely despised due to his accurate portrayal of the A7 as a highly advanced ARM processor far ahead of everyone else on the market. To quote Anand:

 

"Looking at Cyclone makes one thing very clear: the rest of the players in the ultra mobile CPU space didn't aim high enough."

 

Now his hiring by Apple will cause all the haters to claim these articles are now somehow false, or exaggerated by Anand due to his attempts to impress Apple.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #27 of 118
Surprisingly, most of the comments to Anand's "The Road Ahead" farewell are well wishes.

I had another thought about Anand's role at Apple. Anand is perhaps one of a handful of people who understand the user experience we expect with the ability to translate such requirements into technical specifications. In other words, Anand is one of a handful of people who could, I believe, ensure Apple maintains Steve Jobs' vision of a quality user experience or the "reality distortion field."
post #28 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Effing hilarious. The guy writes a milk toast goodbye where he'll be busy but doesn't mention he's going to work for Apple. Most likely he didn't want to read the hate responses.

People have no balls. He spent most of his career slacking on Apple and now takes a job with my former company.

Grow a nutsack, Anand, and be honest to your weird cluster of nutballs on Anandtech. Face the music.

You would have my respect if you ever showed respect for Apple.

 

Ever heard of an NDA? He'd have signed one.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sad to hear of him going. Happy to hear where he went.

Apple accepts ALS (Anand Lai Shimpi) again.

 

I hear Apple accepted the ALS challenge.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #30 of 118

The market didn't care about Katie Cotton's departure.

 

Yeah, so Apple acknowledged the departure of a long-time PR person who really hadn't been involved in AAPL announcements since Steve's death.

 

Katie Cotton was fierce proponent of Steve Jobs, but she got called out giving some B.S. "Steve has a cold" lie and no one with half a brain ever listened to her again.

 

She's been a non-entity for about three years. She has never been really that important apart from someone limiting access to Steve. As a public relations person, she has been nobody for years. Steve called the shots, not Katie. From a corporate standpoint, Katie was a human shield.

 

It has been repeatedly recounted that PR is most soulless of career paths in high-tech. Katie Cotton was the epitome of this. She walked away from Apple with a bunch of RSUs (maybe) but nothing more.


Edited by mpantone - 8/31/14 at 7:19pm
post #31 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I hear Apple accepted the ALS challenge.

Tim Cook contracts ALS?
post #32 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post
 

 

I wonder if I'd do that - create Anandtech where I'm my own boss and then go to a company to help with press relations... Probably not. What are his dreams - we don't know. What is his expertise - knowing and writing about tech. 

 

If I were him I'd only have accepted a truly outstanding challenge/position. I think he'll most likely end up in R&D. 

 

I'm guessing he'd be more involved in either the technical communications aspect of Apple products or something to do with helping customers?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


Tim Cook contracts ALS?

 

It was the ALS AnandTech ice bucket challenge.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #34 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

And where did Re/Code come from?  It seems like most of the stories reported here over the past few days are credited to that site.

This 9to5Mac article gives insight to that:
http://tinyurl.com/nm8zhxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Effing hilarious. The guy writes a milk toast goodbye where he'll be busy but doesn't mention he's going to work for Apple. Most likely he didn't want to read the hate responses.

People have no balls. He spent most of his career slacking on Apple and now takes a job with my former company.

Grow a nutsack, Anand, and be honest to your weird cluster of nutballs on Anandtech. Face the music.

You would have my respect if you ever showed respect for Apple.

Perhaps he was asked by Apple to 'play it this way'? Apple is known to orchestrate, well, everything. See article in above link.

(thanks to @Gatorguy for posting that link)
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #35 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post


It has been repeatedly recounted that PR is most soulless of career paths in high-tech. Katie Cotton was the epitome of this. She walked away from Apple with a bunch of RSUs (maybe) but nothing more.

I'd have to expand on that a bit. As usual, there's a smart way and a dumb way to do any job. The smart PR person is in the legitimate position to learn as much about the company as other positions with a global view, e.g., the CEO, CFO, and COO. It's like newspaper work with the entire company as your beat. Problem is you have to massage the truth here and there as part of the job, but that's rationalized by putting the survival of the company first. If it's basically an ethical company like Apple, IBM, NCR, etc., it's not such a soulless compromise. I betcha Katie Cotton is a fascinating teller of war stories, and her job as Jobs's bulldog was probably a noble one.
post #36 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

He's a smart guy and knows a lot about tech.

I have no idea what he'll be doing for Apple, nobody knows, since they're not telling, but his hiring is obviously a benefit to Apple in my opinion.

no, it's not obvious at all. you exhibited an unusual amount of enthusiasm for something that has no obvious benefit. I'm curious why. still waiting.
post #37 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post


no, it's not obvious at all. you exhibited an unusual amount of enthusiasm for something that has no obvious benefit. I'm curious why. still waiting.

 

It's not just me. You are the odd one out here.

 

The majority of comments have been positive to this hiring, and not just on this site.

post #38 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Surprisingly, most of the comments to Anand's "The Road Ahead" farewell are well wishes.

I had another thought about Anand's role at Apple. Anand is perhaps one of a handful of people who understand the user experience we expect with the ability to translate such requirements into technical specifications. In other words, Anand is one of a handful of people who could, I believe, ensure Apple maintains Steve Jobs' vision of a quality user experience or the "reality distortion field."

jobs' vision of quality isn't what the RDF refers to. the RDF refers to his ability to get engineers to agree to do things they didn't think they could do...and then do them.
post #39 of 118
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post
jobs' vision of quality isn't what the RDF refers to. the RDF refers to his ability to get engineers to agree to do things they didn't think they could do...and then do them.

 

That and the consumer side of the field.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #40 of 118
Replacement for Katie Cotton!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi