or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video

Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video

post #1 of 95
A rear shell said to be destined for Apple's anticipated 5.5-inch iPhone was shown off Monday in a new video, with a ruler placed alongside suggesting that previously leaked dimensions of the still-unannounced handset could be legitimate.

Physically, the shell appears to be a scaled-up version of the same part on its supposed 4.7-inch sibling and comes complete with internal mounting points and plastic rigging. The video shows a length of between 150 and 160 millimeters, and French blog NWE notes that the device could end up bearing the "iPhone Air" moniker.

The dimensions line up with specifications previously sourced from what is said to be a computer system at Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn. In those screenshots, the 4.7-inch version measures 138 millimeters on the Y axis, 66 millimeters on the X axis, and 6.9 millimeters on the Z axis, while the 5.5-inch model compares at 158 millimeters, 78 millimeters, and 7.1 millimeters, respectively.

Little else is revealed in the new video, and very few parts for the "phablet" model have been seen. Numerous reports, including one from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, have suggested that the 5.5-inch variant could be delayed until as late as 2015.

Apple will announce its next-generation iPhone lineup at a media event on Sept. 9, with availability likely to follow on Sept. 19, based on the company's recent history. AppleInsider will bring live coverage from the event in Cupertino.
post #2 of 95
It will be fun to sees phablet iPhone in stores soon.

As far as nomenclature. I hope Apple doesn't call this massive phone the "iPhone Air".

The smaller 4.7 inch phone should be called "Air" while the larger model should be called the "Pro" model just like with the MacBooks.
post #3 of 95
All these leaks seem to show the case with that crazy oversized band. I hope the production version doesn't have it!
post #4 of 95
The 5.5" iPhone and NFC has been the phone from Apple I've been waiting on for a long time. The probability of me having both looks more likely than ever now. I'm excited.
post #5 of 95
Who cares about the band? I just need a larger iPhone !!
post #6 of 95

Looks faked to me. I say that because the inside looks machined. i don't think apple would do more than test the design that way. They wouldn't/couldn't machine tens of millions of them in mass production. There would maybe be a stamping process and then machining the ports on the sides. Seems like an elaborate hoax or someone got their hands on a prototype part. 

We will see in 8 days. 

post #7 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

As far as nomenclature. I hope Apple doesn't call this massive phone the "iPhone Air".

The smaller 4.7 inch phone should be called "Air" while the larger model should be called the "Pro" model just like with the MacBooks.

I disagree. The 5.5 should be called the iPhone Fatty.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #8 of 95

Only eight more days to go!

Let the countdown commence!

post #9 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #10 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
I disagree. The 5.5 should be called the iPhone Fatty.

Why not 'the Tall-ee'?

post #11 of 95
See? Was it so damn hard to sneak a desk ruler into a factory in China to measure the new Goophone 5.5-inch shell?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Countdown? To Apple's response to the iCloud hack. Doesn't matter what it really is, all people are going to remember from this is Apple iCloud was hacked.
post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Countdown? To Apple's response to the iCloud hack. Doesn't matter what it really is, all people are going to remember from this is Apple iCloud was hacked.

Apple's iCloud wasn't hacked.

"Hack" to people that don't know what hack means, means compromising anything, from anywhere.

In the real world, hack means through a security flaw of a system, a malicious user was able to compromise a system and/or it's data.

If these celebrities set their passwords to Password321, and it is guessed, that is not a hack. This also applies if their email account has been compromised and their Apple ID password has been changed unknowingly. That is not a hack. That is poor security management on the users end.

A hack would be finding a backdoor (in this case to the Photo Stream and/or iCloud backup service) and targeting Apple ID's to steal data. That did not happen.

Plus, Apple has had 2 step verification implemented for some time, so a user cannot access this sort of data without verification from an existing approved device. If you had celebrity status, where many, many people would like to compromise your accounts and details, you would undisputedly turn on the maximum security settings available.

Good day.

post #14 of 95
How do we know this is not an iPod Touch?
post #15 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

"Hack" to people that don't know what hack means, means compromising anything, from anywhere.

In the real world, hack means through a security flaw of a system, a malicious user was able to compromise a system and/or it's data.

If these celebrities set their passwords to Password321, and it is guessed, that is not a hack. This also applies if their email account has been compromised and their Apple ID password has been changed unknowingly. That is not a hack. That is poor security management on the users end.

A hack would be finding a backdoor (in this case to the Photo Stream and/or iCloud backup service) and targeting Apple ID's to steal data. That did not happen.

Plus, Apple has had 2 step verification implemented for some time, so a user cannot access this sort of data without verification from an existing approved device. If you had celebrity status, where many, many people would like to compromise your accounts and details, you would undisputedly turn on the maximum security settings available.

Good day.

Let me simplify this a little bit more for you. You, myself and most of the posters on here know what you said to be mostly true. What I'm saying is, that the mass general public who know next to nothing about these matters will only hear and remember Apple's iCloud was hacked. Despite if it's true or not.
post #16 of 95
Quote:

Let me simplify this a little bit more for you. You, myself and most of the posters on here know what you said to be mostly true. What I'm saying is, that the mass general public who know next to nothing about these matters will only hear and remember Apple's iCloud was hacked. Despite if it's true or not.

I see. And I agree.

That was not evident from your original post, though. 

post #17 of 95
Quote:

Most people don't even know it happened.
post #18 of 95
No doubt sog made this vid.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #19 of 95
Quote:

I see. And I agree.

That was not evident from your original post, though. 

You're correct in that I wasn't as clear as I should of been. I apologize to you Sir.
post #20 of 95
I really hate these bold bands ,, especially those around the top and bottom !!
post #21 of 95
Quote:

Really? You really think that? Nude celebrities? Pretty big deal in the modern U.S culture unfortunately. I've been at work for 3 hours and have about 10 customers ask or inquire about this already.
post #22 of 95
Friendly reminder: do not respond to the Best Buy blue shirt guy.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 95

For comparison, here are the dimensions for the Galaxy Note 3, which has a 5.7" screen: 

151.2 mm (5.95 in) H; 79.2 mm (3.12 in) W; 8.3 mm (0.33 in) D
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Friendly reminder: do not respond to the Best Buy blue shirt guy.

I hope that wasn't for me as I don't work for Best Buy.
post #25 of 95
I can't wait until September 10th when all the Apple news sites start talking about the iPhone 6s.
post #26 of 95
Quote:

I think this is what people call it, no matter the details on the tech side.
Quote:
Plus, Apple has had 2 step verification implemented for some time, so a user cannot access this sort of data without verification from an existing approved device.

That is opt-in though, not mandatory.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #27 of 95
Thus far the latest iPhone to be announced on September 9th will offer the following:
Custom Actions
iCloud Drive
Nitro JavaScript engine for third party web browsers
Photo Editing
Sharing Options
Third party keyboards
Widgets

Additionally, according to rumors Apple will offer:
Multiple form factors (4", 4.7", 5.5")
NFC
Optical Image Stabilization

I wonder what Android proponents will complain about next.
post #28 of 95
Quote:

"iPhablet"

post #29 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

I think this is what people call it, no matter the details on the tech side.

People do use the word incorrectly. This happened with the news media where journalists were guessing the voicemail pin codes of celebrities to hear messages they could write stories about and it was called hacking but nobody would say the cellular network operators were to blame.

There was a brute force script written to guess iCloud login passwords and it seems that iCloud didn't bother preventing multiple attempts. It's suspected that this was used.

The use of passwords online needs to end altogether. A passcode should be local to a device and be used to protect strong private keys. Only public keys should be stored on the server. Private keys should be synced from one device to another locally.

It's convenient, secure and it will never require a mass password reset after a breach. Logging in using a temporary machine is trickier but there can be a request via email for a temporary access key that has an expiry time.
post #30 of 95
Two-factor authentication + server-side intrusion detection. That's all I will say on the subject. Back on topic.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 95
1biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I can't wait until September 10th when all the Apple news sites start talking about the iPhone 6s. Smirking...
post #32 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Mainly the slot for the sim tray on the side but it could also be one of those knockoff models.
post #33 of 95
I don't like the design of the back panel but I could deal with it if apple has figured out a way to create a bezel free model.
post #34 of 95

Why?

...while the larger model should be called the “Pro” model...

What is “professional” about a device too large to be used?

Originally Posted by prokip View Post
I just need a larger iPhone !!

Why?

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post
Why not 'the Tall-ee'?

You wound me, sir.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I want to believe (that this absolute garbage isn’t a phone), but there’s no reason for antenna bands on an iPod touch.

I've been at work for 3 hours and have about 10 customers ask or inquire about this already.

Where do you work? The Nude Celebrities Hotline?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #35 of 95
Haha
post #36 of 95
Quote:

Good day.

Allowing endless attemps at a password is a major security flaw... This was indeed an hack, they found a way to be able to try passwords without the account being frozen. This as nothing to do with passwords being weak, the only thing a robust password will change is it takes more time.
post #37 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There was a brute force script written to guess iCloud login passwords and it seems that iCloud didn't bother preventing multiple attempts. It's suspected that this was used.

Do you have an evidence that a brute force attack was used?

The evidence I have seen (exif files, reporter statements indicating they were contacted about this prior to "The Happening", many images are not the celebrity in question or are photoshopped, etc.) suggests that this was a person who has traded such images in exchange for similar images for some time.
post #38 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Allowing endless attemps at a password is a major security flaw... This was indeed an hack, they found a way to be able to try passwords without the account being frozen

You are correct. Fortunately, Apple doesn't allow an infinite amount of password attempts.

Download Fiddler, set it up to send say, 1 request per second to the iCloud login handler:

https://setup.icloud.com/setup/ws/1/login

and post this data:

{"apple_id":"test@test.com","password":"testpassword","extended_login":false}

Obviously replacing values with whatever you want.

See how long it takes them to freeze your IP from subsequent requests.

If you would like to share who "they" are, or a post to the exact method on how it was hacked, or a post a hacker has made backing up what you just said, I would highly appreciate it.

Edit: Oh and before somebody mentions easily changing the IP header, the same freeze is applied on the session id + account.

post #39 of 95
Quote:

Oh, I think they are quite aware of this now. It was all over the news this morning and the originating site was repeatedly named.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #40 of 95
Quote:

You are correct. Fortunately, Apple doesn't allow an infinite amount of password attempts.

Download Fiddler, set it up to send say, 1 request per second to the iCloud login handler:
https://setup.icloud.com/setup/ws/1/login

and post this data:

{"apple_id":"test@test.com","password":"testpassword","extended_login":false}

Obviously replacing values with whatever you want.

See how long it takes them to freeze your IP from subsequent requests.

If you would like to share who "they" are, or a post to the exact method on how it was hacked, or a post a hacker has made backing up what you just said, I would highly appreciate it.

Edit: Oh and before somebody mentions easily changing the IP header, the same freeze is applied on the session id + account.

This is why I suspect someone inside Apple culled these accounts or possibly a photo app was cracked, one with easy access to the photos.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video