or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to give $20K in college scholarships as part of diversity initiative
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to give $20K in college scholarships as part of diversity initiative

post #1 of 106
Thread Starter 
In its push toward a more diverse corporate America, Apple on Tuesday announced two $10,000 scholarships for minority university students looking at future careers in the tech industry.



The "Product Integrity Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship" includes two awards meted out by the company's Product Integrity group, which is described by Apple as a combination of "Hardware Reliability, Product Safety, Environmental Technologies, and Hardware and Software Test Engineering" teams. Together, the specialists form one division that works together with other corporate divisions on new consumer products.

As stipulated by Apple, eligible scholarship candidates need to be women, black/African American, Hispanic, or Native American university students attending an accredited institution in fall 2015. Further, all students must be at least sophomores in a bachelor's degree program, or seeking a master's degree or doctorate in computer science or related field.

For one scholarship, dubbed "sensor," Apple is asking applicants to propose a new sensor for inclusion in an Apple product. Along with detailing the sensor's attributes and benefits to the end user, applicants must detail quality, safety, manufacturing and other design aspects.

The second award requests design proposals for a test track meant to trial a vehicle that will carry astronauts to Jupiter's moon Europa. Students must supply design renderings, material suggestions and more to ensure the track pushes the vehicle to its limits.

Each scholarship applicant will automatically be considered for an internship through Apple's rolling program, which is usually on a hiring schedule that coincides with spring and fall college semesters. Jobs run the gamut, from software engineering to hardware systems testing and beyond.

The scholarships appear to be an extension of Apple's recent efforts to diversify the workplace. In August, for example, the company published its first-ever diversity report, which was followed by a video noting the "inclusion" of U.S. minorities inspires innovation. The short film was narrated by VP of Human Resources Denise Young Smith.
post #2 of 106

I suppose this is the right idea (from a pandering point of view), although it would be nicer if the scholarship were not based on race, sex or other limitations. Quite frankly, industry should be forming guilds and alliances to subsidize or replace public education anyway, since public schools are doing such a lousy job of educating kids. In all honesty, I believe sports programs should be removed from schools and private sports universities should be sponsored by the NBA, NFL, etc. as they are the sole benefactors of the "puppy mill" sports systems that exists today.

 

A return to guilds and apprentice systems where education ensures the continuation of businesses which need skilled employees should be welcomed. Existing schools teach information which is seldom relevant to success.


Edited by SpamSandwich - 9/2/14 at 3:30pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 106
Boo.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #4 of 106

Overdue.

post #5 of 106

It's only two scholarships for 10k each, so this is not a big deal really, but I am opposed to it nonetheless out of principle.

 

Diversity is a liberal codeword for it's ok to be racist as long as we're liberals and let's call it diversity!

 

They're not fooling me.

post #6 of 106
Asians seems to he missing from that list. Not all Asians get scholarships and are automatically in the Tech industry.
post #7 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post
 

Overdue.

 

Not mandatory.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

Diversity is a liberal codeword for it's ok to be racist as long as we're liberals and let's call it diversity!

 

Agreed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #9 of 106
Diversity huh? I wonder how many worthy white males were passed over for these scholarships in favor of "diversity"...

Diversity - Liberal code word for "anybody who isn't a hetrosexual white male".
post #10 of 106
More bullshit from Mr Cook, the world's best COO and nothing else. BTW, "hispanic" has never been a race or ethnic group...what's next? "We don't have enough people from Tonga?"
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #11 of 106
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post
I wonder how many worthy white males were passed over for these scholarships in favor of "diversity"...


All of them, inherently.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

...it would be nicer if the scholarship were not based on race, sex or other limitations. Quite frankly, industry should be forming guilds and alliances to subsidize or replace public education anyway, since public schools are doing such a lousy job of educating kids.

 

Why do you believe Apple and other tech companies do not already offer unrestricted scholarships? Perhaps Apple is trying to address an imbalance in the pool of students that are receiving them. Alternatively, perhaps Apple believes that increasing the number of qualified black/African American, Hispanic, and Native American candidates who are qualified for the jobs Apple is offering will help the company reach their diversity targets without needing to institute "quotas" in hiring.

 

Let us remember, Apple is not taking anything away from students of other racial backgrounds. Those students may still seek, compete for, and obtain resources as they have been doing. Apple is merely offering additional resources to a group of students who are under-represented in the discipline. I think encouraging education is the best way to achieve balance in the workforce. And that is a good thing.

 

Other tech companies should re-direct some of the money they're spending on lawyers for pointless lawsuits to directly solve some of their diversity issues AT THE SOURCE: Obtaining educated and trained candidates.

post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

It's only two scholarships for 10k each, so this is not a big deal really....

 Agreed... Apple should offer a hundred of them, two in each State. Every year.  That would be a big deal.  I disagree, however, with the rest of your rant, which I view as misguided.

post #14 of 106
$10K? Wow what a token gesture.
post #15 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Diversity huh? I wonder how many worthy white males were passed over for these scholarships in favor of "diversity"...

Diversity - Liberal code word for "anybody who isn't a hetrosexual white male".
I wonder when Apple will start laying off white men so they can get their women and minority percentages up.
post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

Why do you believe Apple and other tech companies do not already offer unrestricted scholarships?

 

I'd be interested in evidence that supports this theory, however it should be noted that Apple is not obligated to offer any scholarships to any person in any event. This is a "political" decision to appease special interests and make points among competing Silicon Valley hoi polloi. Didn't this idiocy start when Facebook released the ethnic spectrum of their employees? Silicon Valley companies are now in a pissing contest to see who is more politically correct.


Edited by SpamSandwich - 9/2/14 at 4:03pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

$10K? Wow what a token gesture.

 

Yeah, I don't know how much Apple makes per hour on average, and I'm not going to take the time to look it up or research it or do the math on it, but $20,000?

 

Apple probably makes that in 12 milliseconds.:lol:

 

If I were a racist liberal who ran around extolling the wonderful virtues of "diversity", then I'd be insulted by that $20 k figure, and I would take it as a slap in the face.:D

post #18 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 Agreed... Apple should offer a hundred of them, two in each State. Every year.  That would be a big deal.  I disagree, however, with the rest of your rant, which I view as misguided.

 

So instead of just being mildly racist, it's better to be extremely racist? That's an interesting view, and I would have to disagree with it.

post #19 of 106
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, I dont know how much Apple makes per hour on average, and I'm not going to take the time to look it up or research it or do the math on it, but $20,000? Apple probably makes that in 12 milliseconds.:lol:

 

Wolfram|Alpha is great for this. Punch in 36 billion per 90 days and tell it to convert to dollars per second.

 

$4629.63 per second.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Wolfram|Alpha is great for this. Punch in 36 billion per 90 days and tell it to convert to dollars per second.

 

$4629.63 per second.

 

That's cool!

 

So it would take Apple about 4.3 seconds to make $20,000.00

post #21 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Wolfram|Alpha is great for this. Punch in 36 billion per 90 days and tell it to convert to dollars per second.

 

$4629.63 per second.

 

That's a lot of apps. :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 106
Don't break the bank, my fellow Apple alum. We spent more than that a week on coffee a decade ago.
post #23 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wolfram|Alpha is great for this. Punch in 36 billion per 90 days and tell it to convert to dollars per second.

$4629.63 per second.

Because take 24 hours x 90 days x 3600 seconds is hard to input as a factor to divide into 36 billion?

36e9 / ( 24 hours/day x 3600 seconds /hour x 90 days) = 4629.62963 or $4,619.63/second.

Seriously, are there any mathematicians or actual traditional engineers on this site, besides myself?

Those 24 x 3600 are in one's head for life.
post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Diversity huh? I wonder how many worthy white males were passed over for these scholarships in favor of "diversity"...

Diversity - Liberal code word for "anybody who isn't a hetrosexual white male".

 

I know, right?!!  Based on these so-called "diversity initiatives" you'd think that "minorities" had for centuries been passed over for things because of their race or gender.  Where the heck do they get that from?!?!

post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by entification View Post
 

 

I know, right?!!  Based on these so-called "diversity initiatives" you'd think that "minorities" had for centuries been passed over for things because of their race or gender.  Where the heck do they get that from?!?!

 

Do you seriously believe something like that would affect hiring at Apple? Get over it already. It's history. Plus the Supreme Court recently ruled that using race to determine eligibility for determining college admissions is strictly unconstitutional... verboten. This will soon extend to wherever unequal treatment, aka "affirmative action", is used to reward or punish. Steve Jobs himself believed in "equal opportunity, not equal outcomes".

 

www.cnn.com/2014/04/22/justice/scotus-michigan-affirmative-action/

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

I'd be interested in evidence that supports this theory, however it should be noted that Apple is not obligated to offer any scholarships to any person in any event.

 

Why should that be noted? No one was claiming otherwise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

This is a "political" decision to appease special interests and make points among competing Silicon Valley hoi polloi.

 

Funny how people are happy that Apple don't get involved in politics when Apple's actions suit their political agenda (big business, no-frills capitalism), and yet when they show some community and social interest it's Apple "appeasing special interests".

 

You have no evidence about Apple's motivations.  Tim Cook has stated more than once that he is steering Apple to do the right thing.  I would venture that he believes this to be the right thing.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #27 of 106
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
Because take 24 hours x 90 days x 3600 seconds is hard to input as a factor to divide into 36 billion?

36e9 / ( 24 hours/day x 3600 seconds /hour x 90 days) = 4629.62963 or $4,619.63/second.

 

Ah, but W|A lets you do it in a humanistic way. If you know what you have (money per quarter) and know where you want to go (money per second), you don’t have to know how to get there mathematically.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #28 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 
Funny how people are happy that Apple don't get involved in politics when Apple's actions suit their political agenda (big business, no-frills capitalism), and yet when they show some community and social interest it's Apple "appeasing special interests".

 

You have no evidence about Apple's motivations.  Tim Cook has stated more than once that he is steering Apple to do the right thing.  I would venture that he believes this to be the right thing.

 

If you disagree with something I've said, just state your opinion. I don't need to be referred to as "people". I have opinions, you have opinions.

 

I would also venture to say that Tim believes he's doing the right thing. Doesn't mean I have to agree with his every decision.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

I would also venture to say that Tim believes he's doing the right thing. Doesn't mean I have to agree with his every decision.

 

I just hope Tim didn't spend more than 4.3 seconds thinking about it.  :)

post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

I just hope Tim didn't spend more than 4.3 seconds thinking about it.  :)

 

LOL!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 106
OK, sounds like reasonable component of a plan, but...

A) Is it two $10k scholarships per minute? Or just two, period? Speaking as a white male who has had plenty of childhood AND career advantages from my race (and where that race put me to grow up) ALONE... two is not much to level things out.

B) It would suck to be an Aboriginal Australian kid.
post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by entification View Post
 

 

I know, right?!!  Based on these so-called "diversity initiatives" you'd think that "minorities" had for centuries been passed over for things because of their race or gender.  Where the heck do they get that from?!?!

 

A lot of ranting around here about liberals and racism.  Betrays a complete misunderstanding of liberalism and pushes the goofy agenda of white conservative men (thank you Fox news on both counts).  Newsflash - you and I have had the upper hand for centuries, and a couple of diversity scholarships from Apple are not going to change anything.  You are not being persecuted, regardless of how much you may deserve it.  Quit your bitching.

post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

More bullshit from Mr Cook, the world's best COO and nothing else. BTW, "hispanic" has never been a race or ethnic group...what's next? "We don't have enough people from Tonga?"

I nominate Jonah.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #34 of 106
Originally Posted by colibri View Post

a couple of diversity scholarships …are not going to change anything.


So why waste my time and money doing it at all? So why are white students being ignored in favor of lesser qualified minorities at colleges? Sounds wrong to me. Why not just let everyone be equal?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, but W|A lets you do it in a humanistic way. If you know what you have (money per quarter) and know where you want to go (money per second), you don’t have to know how to get there mathematically.

Ah yes, instead of using your mind, just spend some money and rely on 3rd party tools that aren't designed for such trivial thinking.
post #36 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

More bullshit from Mr Cook, the world's best COO and nothing else. BTW, "hispanic" has never been a race or ethnic group...what's next? "We don't have enough people from Tonga?"

What's the br in lawyer stand for? Blatantly racist?
post #37 of 106
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
Ah yes, instead of using your mind, just spend some money and rely on 3rd party tools that aren’t designed for such trivial thinking.

 

Money? The point of a calculator is to do things as quickly as possible. Do you similarly disparage the contributions of supercomputers because their calculations could have been done by hand/mind?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #38 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


So why waste my time and money doing it at all? So why are white students being ignored in favor of lesser qualified minorities at colleges? Sounds wrong to me. Why not just let everyone be equal?

Because they aren't equal.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Because they aren't equal.

 

How do you know for certain? 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How do you know for certain? 

Of course each individual case is unique, but overall a minority student had to overcome a lot of adversity to even get into a level of consideration. If you have 2 runners in a 100 yd race, and runner A's lane is clear, while runner B's has hurdles, and runner B ends up a half second behind runner A. Who would you be most impressed by? Not everyone gets the same road to get to the same place.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to give $20K in college scholarships as part of diversity initiative