or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Japanese smartphone buyers prefer Apple's anticipated 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' data shows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Japanese smartphone buyers prefer Apple's anticipated 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' data shows

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Consumers in Japan -- now one of Apple's most important markets -- are excited by the prospect of a larger iPhone and the increased screen size could be a key driver of sales to new customers in the Asian nation, according to new survey data released this week.




Japanese market research firm MMD spoke to some 3,000 mobile phone users in the month of August --?1,000 each from major carriers Docomo, au, and SoftBank. Of those, 35.7 percent indicated that they intend to purchase Apples's next-generation handset.

Some 33.3 percent of prospective iPhone 6 buyers said that they were interested in the device because it was time to upgrade their smartphone. 29.9 percent, meanwhile, said that the rumored display size increase piqued their interest.

More than 40 percent of those who want a larger-screened iPhone are interested in the rumored 5.5-inch model, while just 20 percent see the 4.7-inch variant as ideal.

Japanese consumers have wholeheartedly embraced the iPhone since its launch, with the device owning over half of the smartphone market that was previously dominated by domestic players like Sharp and Sony. Perhaps even more impressively, the iPhone accounts for more than one out of every three mobile phone shipments in a country where so-called "feature phones," which cost significantly less than smartphones, continue to be top sellers.

Apple's Japanese success comes despite initial skepticism on the part of industry watchers, who believed the Silicon Valley company would not be able to compete with Japanese handsets that offered features like television reception and touch-based mobile payments.
post #2 of 48

paging Tallest Ski....

paging Tallest Ski....

 

here. we. go.

post #3 of 48
I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.
post #4 of 48

We'll see if the "other" category is disappointed because that would mean buying the year old 5S.

post #5 of 48
That thing will be gigantic. I don't know how anyone could walk around with it in their pocket.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.

 

Good.

 

iPadMini is one of the worst profit margin products Apple makes.

 

Apple needs to sell 2.5 iPadMini's to make the same profit as a single iPhone

post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post
 

We'll see if the "other" category is disappointed because that would mean buying the year old 5S.

 

The "other' is the 4.0 inch iPhone Color.

Basically the 5S in a plastic shell.

post #8 of 48
Quote:
Apple's Japanese success comes despite initial skepticism on the part of industry watchers, who believed the Silicon Valley company would not be able to compete with Japanese handsets that offered features like television reception and touch-based mobile payments.

Because, ya know, it is just so shockingly unexpected that the "industry watchers" get it so wrong. Shouldn't this be "Apple stock price takes a hit this week when it is revealed that Apple's marketshare is significantly different* than analysts predicted."

*different in this case meaning far exceeding predictions, so clearly there is something wrong at Apple and Doom is imminent anytime a company outperforms the experts' predictions.
post #9 of 48
And yet AAPL is falling like a rock today! Run for the hills! 1smile.gif)
post #10 of 48
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

The "other' is the 4.0 inch iPhone Color.

Basically the 5S in a plastic shell.

 

Nope.  Basically the 5 in a plastic shell.  Not 5S.

 

Pay attention, man!

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Nope.  Basically the 5 in a plastic shell.  Not 5S.

 

Pay attention, man!

 

That's the 5C you are talking about.

 

iPhone Pro 5.5

iPhone Air 4.7

iPhone Color 4.0 (5S in plastic)

iPhone 5C ( 5 in plastic, only in white or black)

post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


Because, ya know, it is just so shockingly unexpected that the "industry watchers" get it so wrong. Shouldn't this be "Apple stock price takes a hit this week when it is revealed that Apple's marketshare is significantly different* than analysts predicted."

*different in this case meaning far exceeding predictions, so clearly there is something wrong at Apple and Doom is imminent anytime a company outperforms the experts' predictions.


Well also the fact that the Japanese are very biased towards home grown products. The iPhone breaking with that tradition is out of the norm.

post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

That thing will be gigantic. I don't know how anyone could walk around with it in their pocket.

No, it's not gigantic. This screen size and around it is the fastest growing segment of the mobile phones right now. It's not a phone anymore. It's so much more.

post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

That's the 5C you are talking about.

 

iPhone Pro 5.5

iPhone Air 4.7

iPhone Color 4.0 (5S in plastic)

iPhone 5C ( 5 in plastic, only in white or black)

 

Yup.  Just nitpicking.  You said the 5C was "basically" a 5S in a plastic shell.

Nope.  It's basically a 5 in a plastic shell.  (No Touch ID sensor, no 64-bit A7 SoC, etc.)

Are we clear now?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.

 

That couldn't be further from the truth.

 

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

 

Oh, that's right, you can get one for $200 recently at some places.

 

And also, 7.9 is a bit bigger than 5.5, and also, not everybody wants a phone or wants to pay for a phone plan.

post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Yup.  Just nitpicking.  You said the 5C was "basically" a 5S in a plastic shell.

Nope.  It's basically a 5 in a plastic shell.  (No Touch ID sensor, no 64-bit A7 SoC, etc.)

Are we clear now?

 

Nope.

 

I said iPhone Color. 

iPhone Color is NOT iPhone5C.

They are two seperate models

 

iPhone Color - 5S in plastic

iPhone 5C - 5 in plastic

post #17 of 48
Other category about size of 5.5, I'm guessing there wanting 4.5 or less.
post #18 of 48
If I can't put the MOBILE phone in the front pocket of my jeans comfortably, I have no use for it.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

If I can't put the MOBILE phone in the front pocket of my jeans comfortably, I have no use for it.

 

Then buy a smaller phone.

 

I have no preference for 4.7 VS 5.5, as I probably wont be getting any new phone this year, but I bet that Apple will sell plenty of both models.

post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

If I can't put the MOBILE phone in the front pocket of my jeans comfortably, I have no use for it.

 

some people carry purses

post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

some people carry purses

Real men don't carry purses.

post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

Real men don't carry purses.

 

half the planet are not men

post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

That couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

Oh, that's right, you can get one for $200 recently at some places.

 

Well, I did not mean literally dead. But as dead as iPod Touch is. :)

post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

half the planet are not men

 

And how do you know what the poster you responded to is, since you suggested they get a purse?

 

I think that plenty of people, both males and females will be buying the 5.5.

post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

Oh, that's right, you can get one for $200 recently at some places.

And also, 7.9 is a bit bigger than 5.5, and also, not everybody wants a phone or wants to pay for a phone plan.

When you look at it this way, it seems to me that if the 5.5 inch iPhone is successful, Apple's margins should go through the roof.

Higher margin iPhones plus a new payment system could mean even more blockbuster quarters for Apple going forward.
post #26 of 48
No doubt sog made up half of those 5.5" votes.

I would be in the other camp. My glimmer of hope regarding a new A8-infused 4" is fading fast 1frown.gif
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #27 of 48

What you are not realizing is that, alongside the anticipated 5.5" iPhone 6, Apple will also be releasing a new line of Burberry-designed pants and shirts that will feature 6 inch pockets.

 

I predict that 2015 will be the year of the 6 inch pocket. 

post #28 of 48
Surprising.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 48
I don't believe there will be a 5.5" iPhone in 2014. That's my prediction and I'm not backing down.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I don't believe there will be a 5.5" iPhone in 2014. That's my prediction and I'm not backing down.

 

wanna wager?

 

If there is a 5+ inch phone for Apple in 2014 you self ban for 2 weeks.

If not I'll ban for 2 weeks.

 

are you game?

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

wanna wager?

If there is a 5+ inch phone for Apple in 2014 you self ban for 2 weeks.
If not I'll ban for 2 weeks.

are you game?
The law of risk management: never bet what you aren't prepared to lose.

Ok. If I lose I will immediately ban myself from this site for 2 weeks. If on December 31st midnight there is no 5.1+" you immediately ban yourself from this site for 2 weeks.
Edited by YvesVilleneuve - 9/3/14 at 3:27pm
post #32 of 48
I wonder how many analysts are thinking ahead to realize that Apple is about to embark on not one big year of larger screen iPhone sales but two. There are tons of folks who are coming off a two year contract or have otherwise amortized the cost of their existing iPhone over the past two years. Those folks will line up this year. And in the last 12 months Apple sold, what, 170 million iPhones? None with a screen larger than 4". Those are next year's iPhone 6S upgraders. So Apple has two solid years ahead before it'll finally have to come up with the next... Next Big Thing.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

half the planet are not men

And there's plenty in the other half who aren't real men! Lol!
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I wonder how many analysts are thinking ahead to realize that Apple is about to embark on not one big year of larger screen iPhone sales but two. There are tons of folks who are coming off a two year contract or have otherwise amortized the cost of their existing iPhone over the past two years. Those folks will line up this year. And in the last 12 months Apple sold, what, 170 million iPhones? None with a screen larger than 4". Those are next year's iPhone 6S upgraders. So Apple has two solid years ahead before it'll finally have to come up with the next... Next Big Thing.

I'm assuming after this iPhone we'll see an iPhone with TouchID, the home button, the microphone and front camera embedded under the display. Apple could then, potentially, squeeze a 5 inch display in a chassis smaller than the 4.7 inch iPhone 6.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

That's the 5C you are talking about.

 

iPhone Pro 5.5

iPhone Air 4.7

iPhone Color 4.0 (5S in plastic)

iPhone 5C ( 5 in plastic, only in white or black)


I'm really glad you don't work in Apple's marketing or design departments. What's with all the plastic? iPhone Color? Taking a recognized product, iPhone 5C, that was available in multiple colors and changing it to just black and white? The sog35 school of marketing, just confuse the customer and sell more phones. Sounds a lot like Samsung!

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

Oh, that's right, you can get one for $200 recently at some places.

And also, 7.9 is a bit bigger than 5.5, and also, not everybody wants a phone or wants to pay for a phone plan.

I expect the comparison would be:

Retina iPad mini + iPhone 5 = $399 + $650 = $1,049
vs
5.5" iPhone 6 = $750

People need phones regardless. I don't think you can replace a 7.9" iPad with a 5.5" phone for prolonged tablet use but if it's mainly for Candy Crush Saga, Facebook/Twitter, maybe an occasional read in bed or the bathroom, some people could probably switch from two devices to one.

I think if they do come out with a 5.5" model, the sales will be dwarfed hugely by the 4.7" model. Even if there's a surge in sales to begin with, it'll quickly die down as people realise how cumbersome that size is to live with.

As for Japan, it's easy to vote for the big screen but phablets over there are as low as $200-300 and that's even killing Samsung's sales. They won't take 35% of the market at $750.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

And yet AAPL is falling like a rock today! Run for the hills! 1smile.gif)

 

Don't run for the hills. Buy!*

 

*I am not a financial advisor. You are responsible for your own decisions.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


I expect the comparison would be:

Retina iPad mini + iPhone 5 = $399 + $650 = $1,049
vs
5.5" iPhone 6 = $750

People need phones regardless. I don't think you can replace a 7.9" iPad with a 5.5" phone for prolonged tablet use but if it's mainly for Candy Crush Saga, Facebook/Twitter, maybe an occasional read in bed or the bathroom, some people could probably switch from two devices to one.

I think if they do come out with a 5.5" model, the sales will be dwarfed hugely by the 4.7" model. Even if there's a surge in sales to begin with, it'll quickly die down as people realise how cumbersome that size is to live with.

As for Japan, it's easy to vote for the big screen but phablets over there are as low as $200-300 and that's even killing Samsung's sales. They won't take 35% of the market at $750.

 

I agree that for certain people who might not want to buy both a phone and tablet, or perhaps for those people who can't afford both devices, then the 5.5 iPhone is an option that will give them sort of both.

 

I personally would probably not want a 5.5, because I'd rather have a small phone to carry with me, and larger iPads at home, but I can understand how certain people will compromise and get the 5.5.

post #39 of 48
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
paging Tallest Ski....

 

I love how meaningless this survey is.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #40 of 48
How can Apple be getting into health, yet releasing phones that only fat people can fit into their pockets? If so, that structure being built for next week's event is probably a big buffet. Everyone there can pack on the blubs and get fat iPhone ready stretch pants.

Or maybe these new bigger phones have built in purse straps so people can carry them around that way? 1smoking.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Japanese smartphone buyers prefer Apple's anticipated 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' data shows
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Japanese smartphone buyers prefer Apple's anticipated 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' data shows