or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Jen Taylor, voice of Microsoft Windows Cortana, prefers to use Apple's iPhone

Jen Taylor, voice of Microsoft Windows Cortana, prefers to use Apple's iPhone

post #1 of 43
Actress Jen Taylor, who voiced the the Cortana AI character in Halo games as well as providing the voice of Microsoft's identically named Siri-like assistant for Windows Mobile, actually uses an iPhone.

JenTaylor Cortana iOS

On Twitter, Taylor recently shared a photo captioned "oh my geez Seattle is beautiful," sent via iOS, as noted by reader @supertino.

iPhone remains more "super useful"

Apple released Siri in 2011, and the feature immediately became a "major force in selling iPhone 4S" as analyst Shaw Wu of Sterne Agee observed.

Google and Microsoft initially mocked Apple's voice assistant. Andy Rubin, then the head of Android development at Google, insisted that he doesn't "believe that your phone should be an assistant" like Siri, while Microsoft's Andy Lees of Windows Phone development was quick to say he didn't think Apple's new Siri was "super useful," indicating his company would avoid having its users speak commands to their phones in public.

Both companies quickly dropped their objections and copied Apple. Google unveiled its Google Now voice assistant the following summer as a feature in 2012's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, while Microsoft scrambled to release its own Cortana voice assistant for Windows Phone 8.1, which shipped in beta form in April 2014.

Microsoft sought to tie its Xbox Halo "Cortana" character into its long ignored Windows Phone business to garner interest among gamers. In Halo, Cortana is represented as a voluptuously naked female sexual object painted with blue electrical circuits.

In reality, Taylor is an accomplished actress of 41 who has played a series of roles in video games (including the voice of Nintendo's Princess Peach) and on stage, including a portrayal of Eliza Doolittle in a 2012 production of Pygmalion.

Twitter outs iPhone celebrities

Twitter has regularly caught Samsung's paid endorsements with an iPhone instead, from sports celebrities who tweet out its scripted advertisements from their iPhones to occasions where personalities such as Ellen DeGeneres and David Beckham return to using their own iPhone after being paid to pose with an Android product.

David Ferrer

David Beckham iPhone

LeBron Samsung

In March, Samsung sponsor LeBron James tweeted out a different sort of message when he complained from his Galaxy Note, "My phone just erased everything it had in it and rebooted. One of the sickest feelings I've ever had in my life!!!"
post #2 of 43
That is pretty funny. Yet again, just like so many Scamsung celebrity endorsements, they use iPhones. Apple really should start running ads highlighting this. What a gift!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #3 of 43

That's hilarious, and also, not all that surprising!

It seems that practically anybody of any importance uses iOS. 

The only people and celebrities who claim to use something else are people who are getting paid by other companies to lie, like Samsung, but in real life, after their fake endorsement is over, they put down their crappy phones that they are paid to promote, and then they pick up their iPhones after the job is done.:smokey:

How many people and celebrities have gotten busted again for tweeting about how great other phones are, but sending those tweets from their iPhone? :lol: 

post #4 of 43
Is this a side-effect from having gone mad and getting killed in her last game?
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #5 of 43
If Microsoft commercials are accurate, Siri admires Cortana because she can remind you to buy flowers for your wife the next time you're near a flower shop, even if the next time you're near a flower shop is two months after you forgot to get your wife flowers for her anniversary.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 43

One Saturday this past May strolling through the mall I caught an Apple retail employee waiting in line at the food court on a Galaxy S4. 

My brother works at one of the 3 major banks yet still keeps his accounts at another. My neighbor works for Volvo NA yet there's a BMW and Toyota in his driveway. One of my good friends runs an AT&T authorized reseller store...he uses Verizon.

...so what? Heaven forbid people kept their day job in the office and personal life personal I suppose. Jen's a voice actress, not a Microsoft Engineer. Does getting a paycheck mean we all need to be corporate stewards 24/7 for those that provide us one? I hope not. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

One Saturday this past May strolling through the mall I caught an Apple retail employee waiting in line at the food court on a Galaxy S4. 
My brother works at one of the 3 major banks yet still keeps his accounts at another. My neighbor works for Volvo NA yet there's a BMW and Toyota in his driveway. One of my good friends runs an AT&T authorized reseller store...he uses Verizon.

...so what? Heaven forbid people kept their day job in the office and personal life personal I suppose. Jen's a voice actress, not a Microsoft Engineer. Does getting a paycheck mean we all need to be corporate stewards 24/7 for those that provide us one? I hope not. 

That's because they are employees and that is how employees think. If you are being paid to use a brand then it's insulting to use in public the competition's device. Cortana voice actress might be different seeing she isn't a brand ambassador as far as I know.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

That's because they are employees and that is how employees think. If you are being paid to use a brand then it's insulting to use in public the competition's device. Cortana voice actress might be different seeing she isn't a brand ambassador as far as I know.

Jen Taylor is not a Microsoft employee, any more than John Hodgman is an Apple employee.

Actors work for themselves.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 43
Quote:

What a totally despicable story! That Apple employee should immediately be fired! If I had witnessed that, I would have sent an email to Tim Cook.

Not because Apple shouldn't allow freedom of choice, but because any Apple employee choosing to use Android over iOS is obviously unqualified for their job. It shows a lack of technical understanding and just an all around general cluelessness on the part of the employee. And that person is supposed to be selling Apple products? I doubt that they are a very good salesperson. I question the sanity of anybody choosing Android over iOS, especially when the subject in question is an Apple employee who gets discounts on Apple devices. Who wants crazy people working for them?

It is baffling that any Apple employee would ever choose to use an Android phone out of their own free will. On the other hand, it is totally understandable that employees at other companies, like Microsoft and Google, choose to use Apple devices and Apple computers, since Apple's are the best that you can get.

This is not a two way street.

post #10 of 43

You would think Microsoft would have a much better shot at getting switchers from Android not Apple. The only reason I can think you don't see those commercials are companies like HTC that make a Windows phone also make an Android phone. But I still think they would get more customers targeting Android. 

If those commercials are true, Cortana does sound a lot more natural than Siri. I won't for a second consider switching over that but I do hope Siri can start sounding a little less robotic with the update. 

post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If Microsoft commercials are accurate, Siri admires Cortana because she can remind you to buy flowers for your wife the next time you're near a flower shop, even if the next time you're near a flower shop is two months after you forgot to get your wife flowers for her anniversary.

Your "Then-wife" if you forgot your anniversary.
post #12 of 43

Before I took a shower, I said this to Siri: "House of cards season three". It absolutely understood what I said because she wrote out the text perfectly. Yet, she pulled up the schedule for the Cardinals. Did this thing get worse over the past year or so? Did something change? I swear she was much better a year ago than now. Introduce a little background noise, and it's practically functionless.

This was a little off topic, but I figured I had to share my thoughts on it.

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a totally despicable story! That Apple employee should immediately be fired! If I had witnessed that, I would have sent an email to Tim Cook.

Not because Apple shouldn't allow freedom of choice, but because any Apple employee choosing to use Android over iOS is obviously unqualified for their job. It shows a lack of technical understanding and just an all around general cluelessness on the part of the employee. And that person is supposed to be selling Apple products? I doubt that they are a very good salesperson. I question the sanity of anybody choosing Android over iOS, especially when the subject in question is an Apple employee who gets discounts on Apple devices. Who wants crazy people working for them?

It is baffling that any Apple employee would ever choose to use an Android phone out of their own free will. On the other hand, it is totally understandable that employees at other companies, like Microsoft and Google, choose to use Apple devices and Apple computers, since Apple's are the best that you can get.

Unless they are tied into a contract gotten before they got the job and can't afford an an upgrade or an iPhone.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Unless they are tied into a contract gotten before they got the job and can't afford an an upgrade or an iPhone.

I suppose that might be the only reasonable excuse for them. I mean, Apple retail employees don't get free iPhones AFAIK, so I can buy your possible explanation.

On the other hand, Apple should tighten up their hiring process in my opinion, because I would never have hired that person to begin with.

post #15 of 43
Quote:

I suppose that might be the only reasonable excuse for them. I mean, Apple retail employees don't get free iPhones AFAIK, so I can buy your possible explanation.

On the other hand, Apple should tighten up their hiring process in my opinion, because I would never have hired that person to begin with.

Then that would be discriminatory behaviour and Apple is already dealing with lawsuits over their hiring practices.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Then that would be discriminatory behaviour and Apple is already dealing with lawsuits over their hiring practices.

Is it really illegal to discriminate against somebody if they use an Android phone?

I mean seriously, that is absurd. What a sad, sad place the world is turning into.

That is an essential part of the job selection process. If somebody uses an Android phone, then they obviously do not fit in at Apple.

What if somebody goes to an interview and answers a question badly? Is it then discriminatory to deny that person a job? 

Should employers be allowed to hold interviews or screen future employees at all? I see asking somebody about which phone they use as part of the screening process. If that's illegal, then so be it. I will continue to do what is right. I do not subscribe to and follow unjust laws.

This whole "discrimination" business sounds totally insane and backwards.

post #17 of 43
Quote:

I have a number of friends who have work at Apple stores and they have advised that, occasionally, when a staff member errs, they are forced to use an Android device for a fortnight.

Quite frankly, I totally disagree with this practice.

I mean, doesn't the Geneva Convention haves rules against treating human beings in this manner?

post #18 of 43
Quote:

If it was a gift from someone then I could see it. Not something that I would want to receive personally but if I got one I'd feel a little bad about not using it and perhaps even a tad guilty.

Hell this guy could also be a new hire and this is Apple's version of hazing. "You really want to work for Apple? Ok then let's see you strut around with this for 90 days. You take it off or use any other phone during this time and you're fired."

post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

If it was a gift from someone then I could see it. Not something that I would want to receive personally but if I got one I'd feel a little bad about not using it and perhaps even a tad guilty.

You are obviously a better person than I am, because I would probably be deeply offended if anybody gave me such a gift. 

I figure that anybody who would be giving me such a gift would have to know me fairly well, and anybody who knows me, knows that I pretty much only use Apple stuff, so I would have to assume that if somebody that I knew gave me such a gift, it would have to be some kind of practical joke or something.

If it was a joke, then I would laugh it off, probably right before I smashed the phone in front of them. And then we'd both laugh at the situation.

But if it was for real, then I would be offended I believe, since they obviously don't know me all that well.

post #20 of 43
Quote:

You are obviously a better person than I am, because I would probably be deeply offended if anybody gave me such a gift. 

I figure that anybody who would be giving me such a gift would have to know me fairly well, and anybody who knows me, knows that I pretty much only use Apple stuff, so I would have to assume that if somebody that I knew gave me such a gift, it would have to be some kind of practical joke or something.

If it was a joke, then I would laugh it off, probably right before I smashed the phone in front of them. And then we'd both laugh at the situation.

But if it was for real, then I would be offended I believe, since they obviously don't know me all that well.

Hell I'd sell the damn thing. I'd get maybe a few pesos for it but it all adds up in the end. Thank them and then put it on Ebay right in front of them

post #21 of 43
Quote:

Hell I'd sell the damn thing. I'd get maybe a few pesos for it but it all adds up in the end. Thank them and then put it on Ebay right in front of them

That's an option too, everybody has their own methods.

Hell, I lost the equivalent of many Android phones today just in the drop in AAPL today. One Android phone is meaningless to me. I'd probably just break the damn thing. 

post #22 of 43
Quote:

That's an option too, everybody has their own methods.

Hell, I lost the equivalent of many Android phones today just in the drop in AAPL today. One Android phone is meaningless to me. I'd probably just break the damn thing. 

And truth be told I'm glad this gal's using an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I just think it's hysterical how completely stupid these companies are that the people they're ostensibly paying to pimp their products aren't even USING their products. I mean wouldn't that be a REQUIREMENT?

"We're paying you money to promote our products, you guys need to use them!"

Edited by Lord Amhran - 9/3/14 at 11:51pm
post #23 of 43
What exactly is Daniels point? Has he questioned all the contractors that MS bring in to see if they also use iPhones? Has he checked out all the contractors that Apple use also use iPhones?
post #24 of 43

I seem to remember Justin Long admitting that he used a Windows PC at home.

Who cares?

censored

censored

post #25 of 43
Quote:

Don't be so ridiculous.  What phone he/she uses has nothing to do with how well they'd be able to do their job.

Maybe they don't even have any connection with the phone side of the store, maybe they only work with the Macs, or they're the store's Final Cut or Logic expert.  

This is retail staff we're talking about, not product designers and you just artificially limited your hiring policy because of stupid dogma.  Was it Ballmer or Gates that forbade their kids from using non-Microsoft stuff?  I'm glad Apple aren't so petty.

censored

censored

post #26 of 43
This article is very thin on substance and too heavy on innuendo. I agree with thataveragejoe on this one. My work issued phone is not an iPhone but I own and prefer my personal iPhone. Regarding Apple employees using non-Apple phones or vice versa, in a competitive environment you want to be very familiar with your competitor's products. The old adage about "keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer" is useful in these situations. Plus, if you are truly confident and totally believe in the value and attractiveness of your consumer product in the market then the vast majority of your employees had better WANT to be using your product if they are representative of your target customer. If you have to force your employees to eat their own dog food for anything other than testing purposes when they would rather not - well that's a clear sign that you have much larger problems to contend with other than your collective public image.

Finally, there's the matter of confidence and humility. When you observe Tim Cook's leadership style you see these two qualities, confidence plus humility, play out in nearly all public situations and in the ways he presents himself and his company. Articles like this one are the antithesis of confidence plus humility at work. They are petty and nit-picky and out of character for how Apple presents itself. You're not doing Apple any favors by pursuing this thin line of public eye poking.
post #27 of 43
MS's Cortana voice Jen Taylor prefers Apple's iPhone, "Now that's a smart phone... user!"
Edited by Rot'nApple - 9/4/14 at 4:25am

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #28 of 43

While I don't think any company has a right to dictate personal choices their employees make there is a difference between a random employee and a public spokesperson. Anytime a celebrity is used to promote a product it is implied that they have chosen to do so or that they believe in the product and folks who have a hard time with critical thinking on their own get the idea that if (fill in your favorite celebrity here) used product X then I can be just like (celebrity) if I also use product X. When that celebrity is seen using the competing product it bursts that bubble of illusion that was created for the advertisement. I understand its a business and all that - but if I ran the world, no one would be allowed to endorse a product unless they actual used and believed in the product even when not on camera or being paid to promote it. 

post #29 of 43
To recognize an apple retail employee outside the store is quite unlikely by the way. Apple Retail employees usually don't wear blue shirts outside their stores...
post #30 of 43
Quote:

And truth be told I'm glad this gal's using an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I just think it's hysterical how completely stupid these companies are that the people they're ostensibly paying to pimp their products aren't even USING their products. I mean wouldn't that be a REQUIREMENT?

"We're paying you money to promote our products, you guys need to use them!"

She's not an endorser.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #31 of 43
It should come as no surprise that a product you have to pay people to endorse has got a popularity problem. Just because you pay someone to front for you doesn't mean you've bought their love. Even though the Cortana girl was not paid to endorse, the resulting embarrassment for MS is a function of the same core issue.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Jen Taylor is not a Microsoft employee, any more than John Hodgman is an Apple employee.
Actors work for themselves.
Exactly. She is not an endorser or spokesperson. She probably is under no obligation to use or appear to use Microsoft products.

It is kind of funny to think that Cortana uses an iPhone, though.
post #33 of 43
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post
This article is very thin on substance and too heavy on innuendo.

If you know what I mean.

...in a competitive environment you want to be very familiar with your competitor’s products.

Well, in an environment in which you’re developing cross-platform, at least.

Finally, there's the matter of confidence and humility. When you observe Tim Cook's leadership style you see these two qualities, confidence plus humility, play out in nearly all public situations and in the ways he presents himself and his company.

Hear hear.

post #34 of 43

Well this confirms for me something I had always suspected about DED; he doesn't know what a naked woman looks like.

post #35 of 43
I prefer the iPhone to all other "smart" phones. However, if I was getting paid by Microsoft, even on a contract basis, I would use a Windows phone. This was a very unprofessional move on her part. Any other company thinking of hiring her will think twice.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #36 of 43
Quote:

chill... I'm guessing he hasn't gotten his first paycheck yet.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

chill... I'm guessing he hasn't gotten his first paycheck yet.

Fail.

post #38 of 43

People still say that?

censored

censored

post #39 of 43
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
People still say that?

Heavens, that takes me back to Ireland in 2008. And a very nice woman whom I totally blew it with.

post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heavens, that takes me back to Ireland in 2008. And a very nice woman whom I totally blew it with.

Did you tell her to shut up, and go away? 😅
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Jen Taylor, voice of Microsoft Windows Cortana, prefers to use Apple's iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Jen Taylor, voice of Microsoft Windows Cortana, prefers to use Apple's iPhone