or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold live stream of Sept. 9 event, begins countdown on website

Apple to hold live stream of Sept. 9 event, begins countdown on website

post #1 of 46
With less than five days to go until Tim Cook takes the stage at the Flint Center in Cupertino, Apple has begun promoting the event --?at which the iPhone 6, iWatch, and perhaps second-generation iPad Air will be unveiled -- on its homepage with a countdown timer to the live stream.

"Live video from our special event will be right here," the page reads. "And so will a whole lot more." The company then implores users to tune in to "follow every moment" and provides a quick iCal-compatible shortcut to add the event to a calendar.

Apple announced the Sept. 9 event two weeks before it is to be held, an unusually long lead time that suggests it may view the announcements as significant. Apple generally gives journalists a one-week notice.

Additionally, rather than holding the press availability at its now-traditional venue -- the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco -- or its own on-campus theater, Apple chose to move to Cupertino's Flint Center. The Flint Center holds nearly 3,000 people, nearly three times as many as the much smaller Yerba Buena theater.

Adding fuel to the fire is Apple's construction of a large, two-story building on the grounds of the Flint Center. The building's purpose remains unknown, though many speculate that it will play host to an enhanced and enlarged version of the "hands on" area where the company traditionally allows journalists to fondle new products.

AppleInsider will be on hand at the Flint Center next Tuesday and will bring live coverage from inside the venue.
post #2 of 46
Considering all the additional effort Apple is putting into this event to get the widest possible coverage this news is unexpected, but I'm still glad to see they didn't wait until Monday to let us know.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 46

Awesome! 8-)

post #4 of 46

Good. This is how it should always be done. Allow anyone using anything to watch it.

post #5 of 46

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

post #6 of 46
Apple is making a bigger deal about this than any even in the recent past I can remember.

This is gonna be huge.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #7 of 46
Tune in to "follow every moment"?

If there ever was any proof that apple was making a self driving car, this stumps them all. Or it could just be an electronic tail. Which could be equally as cool.

Question..would it have Touch ID?
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #8 of 46
This has to be the new product categories that were promised. Has to be.
post #9 of 46

post #10 of 46
Courageous, too. I've thought in the past they wanted to be able to edit out glitches, but they must be more confident now. Something big is in the works.
post #11 of 46

If I turn up to De Anza college on Tuesday is there any chance I'll be able to get in to see anything?

post #12 of 46
In thinking an iWatch, new iPhone(s) maybe an Apple TV too. Maybe even more category's we can't even imagine. What if apple released a pair of apple glasses? Mind=blown!

You heard it here first folks.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Courageous, too. I've thought in the past they wanted to be able to edit out glitches, but they must be more confident now. Something big is in the works.

They still edit it later. When Anki was shown at WWDC, the live stream showed the manager on stage had multiple issues with communications between the iPhone and the toy car. In the downloaded "podcast" version, that sequence is much shortened and it looks like just a few seconds of fussing before the device works. I remember being surprised at how long that guy took to get it to work - I completely understand that little glitches like that happen, especially with a brand new product, but it's just so rare to see at an Apple keynote.

On a different subject, AppleInsider's continued use of the phrase "fondle new products" is a little creepy.

post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

They still edit it later. When Anki was shown at WWDC, the live stream showed the manager on stage had multiple issues with communications between the iPhone and the toy car. In the downloaded "podcast" version, that sequence is much shortened and it looks like just a few seconds of fussing before the device works. I remember being surprised at how long that guy took to get it to work - I completely understand that little glitches like that happen, especially with a brand new product, but it's just so rare to see at an Apple keynote.

On a different subject, AppleInsider's continued use of the phrase "fondle new products" is a little creepy.

Aha, that explains the memory I have of that little car snafu. So that event was streamed live. I just read about the editing the other day. Memory serves after all, however pale and wan.

So are these events always live streamed?
post #15 of 46
Quote:

Samsung Electronics R&D will be holding a viewing party, taking copious notes. Afterwards, they'll high-five their newfound solution to their "crisis in design" for 2015.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 46
Quote:

Aha, that explains the memory I have of that little car snafu. So that event was streamed live. I just read about the editing the other day. Memory serves after all, however pale and wan.

They haven't been streamed 100% of the time, but they are quite often and it seems like more regularly as time goes on. I think the most unusual part is how much advertising they're putting out that it'll be a streamed event, and a big one. As Solipsism said, sometimes it's just a note the day before, or a link on their website that shows it'll be streamed. A countdown timer from 5 days beforehand really seems like they're trying to build hype.

post #17 of 46

I can't recall so much hoopla over an introduction since Dean Kamen introduced the Segway.

Well, maybe.... but IT wasn't real.

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s05e11-the-entity

post #18 of 46
Quote:

How they throw in 'fondle' and don't slide a 'dongle' in the same articles I'll never know.
Quote:

I believe all iPhone events have been live streamed. At least since the iPhone 4 IIRC.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #19 of 46

Buying popcorn now...

I promise to not eat it until the event...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsmith View Post

If I turn up to De Anza college on Tuesday is there any chance I'll be able to get in to see anything?

Highly improbable. It is an invitation-only event.

Heck, the venue isn't even large enough to accommodate all of Apple's employees based in Cupertino, let alone De Anza College students/faculty/staff and random looky-loos.

Knowing how Apple works, their PR department likely went into control freak mode to generate the guest list.

post #21 of 46

Any other tech people on this site the wrong side of 50 that feel like 7 year olds the week before your 8th Birthday?

post #22 of 46
Quote:

... But probably accurate :-)
post #23 of 46
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post
Any other tech people on this site the wrong side of 50 that feel like 7 year olds the week before your 8th Birthday?

Does it count if I’m excited about the new iPhone but feel in general that I’m on the other side of 50? I have the hair for it, at least.

post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"follow every moment" 

If we are talking about iWatch as a wrist worn tracker, I can follow every moment with HealthKit. If iWatch is a new AppleTV I can follow every moment when iWatch. I am so confused....

Will iWatch the event and follow every moment? Absolutely!

post #25 of 46
Quote:

LMFAO!!  "fondle new products"  Too funny!!

post #26 of 46
The last time they had all black Apple logo and background when they announced the iPhone. This is all white. Looks like something significant.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Apple is making a bigger deal about this than any even in the recent past I can remember.

This is gonna be huge.

Yeah, seems like a really big build-up. I'm hoping for a breakthrough in alternative energy technology, or something comparably significant. Maybe they're just going to buy Tesla and put all of their resources behind it to make it more practical for the average consumer. Any other far-flung fantasies out there?
post #28 of 46
Definitely sounds like an iWatch announcement. "Wish we could say more." Like a ..."One More Thing"

And the countdown? Time. Apple doesn't do countdowns. Why now?
post #29 of 46

I'm surprised no one has called about the very strong wording on the page.  "Live video from our special event will be right here.  And so will a whole lot more."

This flat out promises that Apple.com will be serving up more than just video from the event.  So not only will we be wowed by the products being rolled out, but apparently the ways it's presented on Apple.com will also be remarkable.  (And hype worthy.)

Either the folks at Apple have gone insane, or Tuesday will be special.

(And I can't resist saying... maybe the 'whole lot more' that will be on Apple.com are nude celebrity photos direct from iCloud!)

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Yeah, seems like a really big build-up. I'm hoping for a breakthrough in alternative energy technology, or something comparably significant. Maybe they're just going to buy Tesla and put all of their resources behind it to make it more practical for the average consumer. Any other far-flung fantasies out there?

Coming on March 28th... the special 10th anniversary edition of the Apple Hi Fi!  http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000BKBYY0/

post #31 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Good. This is how it should always be done. Allow anyone using anything to watch it.

A very "Cookian" move (and a welcome one by me) as his style's being added to the corp's ongoing DNA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I can't recall so much hoopla over an introduction since Dean Kamen introduced the Segway.

Well, maybe.... but IT wasn't real.

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s05e11-the-entity

Ha, I remember that bit of super over hype as well....  ...at least Woz liked (likes?) his....

...and about 20 years earlier, the NY Times going gaga over the development of diamond film - that was going to replace many states of other industrial arts from integrated circuits to (still uninvented) smart phone screens...  ...so where are our diamond screen phones while we're still anticipating less ultimate sapphire ones...??

Anyway, I 'spect more to come out of 9/9's doin's in the short term than either of those bits of journalistic hyperbole.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #32 of 46
Quote:

Pretty sure that was last years WWDC, but I did watch threw the event and remember the total difference.
Quote:

Most of them, at least everyone for last 2-3 years. Usually they announce day of not 5 days ahead, as well they do limit it to certain devices on the few years ago ones.
post #33 of 46
I've got to get from Maine back to Florida in the next few days! Tell a Apple to wait if I'm delayed will ya?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've got to get from Maine back to Florida in the next few days! Tell a Apple to wait if I'm delayed will ya?

Tim Cook says, "No problem."

post #35 of 46
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Tim Cook says, "No problem."

Ooh, but Dalrymple says, “Nope.”

post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Most of them, at least everyone for last 2-3 years.

That's not true at all! This is the first time this event has been live streamed (at least for the last 5 years). Apple has live streamed many of their other events - but not this one - at least not for the last 5 years. I know because I've eagerly followed every new phone announcement since the 3GS and each year I've had to tune in to one of many live BLOGs because there was no live STREAM!

I'm looking forward to Tuesdays event more than I look forward to Christmas or my Birthday! So excited!!!
post #37 of 46
Quote:

Couldn't agree more with your last point. Maybe it's just me, but I've never heard it used in a context not creepy-related.
post #38 of 46

I expect this will be available on the Apple TV as well. I just can't wait to watch this one.

WWDC 2014 was a blockbuster.  This is the yin to WWDC's yang. The features they couldn't demo at WWDC will finally be unveiled!

post #39 of 46
Wait! Isn't the earth going to be hit with a solar plasma flare that day??
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #40 of 46
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
Wait! Isn't the earth going to be hit with a solar plasma flare that day??

Oh, is that when they’re predicting? M class or X class?

I’d actually prefer to have the grid wiped out for a few weeks. It would force our government to get off their hinders and pass legislation that would create hundreds of thousands of jobs in the fields of electronics and construction. We’d finally BURY our electric lines where they belong, making our cities more beautiful and safe from this sort of thing.

I’m not really one for jobs created by a government specifically for a time of crisis, but this is sort of important.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold live stream of Sept. 9 event, begins countdown on website