or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Samsung's 'rushed,' 'half-baked' announcements set Apple up for easy victory this fall, analyst says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's 'rushed,' 'half-baked' announcements set Apple up for easy victory this fall, analyst says

post #1 of 92
Thread Starter 
Samsung this week made a slew of announcements, most notably its next-generation big-screen Galaxy Note 4 smartphone, but none of the products were enough to impress analyst Brian White, who doesn't think the South Korean electronics maker is well positioned to compete with Apple's anticipated fall product lineup.




In a note to investors on Thursday, White, of Cantor Fitzgerald, used the words "underwhelming," "rushed," and "half-baked" to describe Samsung's announcements, which also included the Gear VR partnership with Oculus, a Gear S smartwatch, and the new Note Edge handset with a side-facing display. White said he believes Samsung's announcements were a subpar attempt at garnering buzz for its products before Apple holds its own presentation next Tuesday, Sept. 9.

"In our view, this strategy was ill-advised because we found the event 'half baked' with no details around the price points, launch dates a bit fuzzy, limited technical specifications, and 'gimmicky' features," White said in his note, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider. "With the potential threat of this event now out of the way, we believe this just made Apple's 'Fab Fall' launch a lot easier because the company's #1 competitor does not appear well prepared to take on Apple's new iPhones this fall."

Apple heavily rumored to be planning to release two new iPhone models this year with two different screen sizes. In particular, the larger 5.5-inch model is expected to be Apple's answer to the so-called "phablet" trend, arguably led by the popular Galaxy Note lineup.

White believes Apple's 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" will eat into the Note franchise, which heads into the fall with the Galaxy Note 4 as its new flagship model. That handset will launch with a 5.7-inch 2,560-by-1,440-pixel Super AMOLED display as well as a new 16-megapixel camera system.

Apple could further take the wind out of Samsung's sails if the new jumbo-sized iPhone hits the market before the Note 4. Apple typically launches new iPhone models the Friday after their unveiling, which would make Sept. 19 a likely date this year, though there have been rumors that the company is facing production issues with the 5.5-inch model and it could debut slightly later.

White is one of the most bullish analysts on Wall Street regarding Apple, with a price target of $123. He has particularly high hopes for Apple's 5.5-inch "phablet" in China, where he believes the bigger model could help the company gain market share.

Shares of AAPL are up slightly Thursday after taking a tumble Wednesday following Samsung's announcements at the IFA trade show in Berlin. The company is now trading below $100 a share after finishing last week at an all-time high north of $102.
post #2 of 92

But just wait until their new announcements in two weeks after they have a chance to improve on Apple's new products!

post #3 of 92
Tuesday, come already.

I don't think yesterday's drop in price had to do with Samsung, but rather the iCloud "nude photo scandal" brouhaha.
post #4 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post
 

But just wait until their new announcements in two weeks after they have a chance to improve on Apple's new products!

 

Well,yes, of course. Samsung has been in standby mode for over a year now waiting to see what Apple does. They have released a slew of ‘feature’ phones in an attempt to cover all their bases

post #5 of 92

sigh...

 

Apple products stand on their own.

 

Apple's only competition is people's expectations of Apple's Products.

 

Samsung doesn't win market share, Apple just doesn't want parts of the market.   

post #6 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

Well,yes, of course. Samsung has been in standby mode for over a year now waiting to see what Apple does. They have released a slew of ‘feature’ phones in an attempt to cover all their bases

 

Don't forget they're on their 6th generation of smartwatches after just a year, in a desperate attempt to throw every concept at the wall before Apple launches anything so they can claim SEE??! FIRST!!.  

 

What a disgusting company that is only causing massive consumer confusion through constant product spamming, and negatively affecting people's relationship with technology because of this. 

post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

Don't forget they're on their 6th generation of smartwatches after just a year, in a desperate attempt to throw every concept at the wall before Apple launches anything so they can claim SEE??! FIRST!!.  

 

What a disgusting company that is only causing massive consumer confusion through constant product spamming, and negatively affecting people's relationship with technology because of this. 

 

And the hilarious part is that it isn’t working. While not labeled as ‘beleaguered’ yet analysts are starting to use the term ‘in a slump’ recently.

post #8 of 92

Even the Android fans I know with Sammy phones don't seem to care what Samsung is doing. They pray at the altar of Google. Ha ha! Cult! Derp!

post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Don't forget they're on their 6th generation of smartwatches after just a year, in a desperate attempt to throw every concept at the wall before Apple launches anything so they can claim SEE??! FIRST!!.  

What a disgusting company that is only causing massive consumer confusion through constant product spamming, and negatively affecting people's relationship with technology because of this. 

Thousands of "yes" to every "no."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #10 of 92

How many smartwatches has Samsung announced over the past 2 years?

 

Edit: Already answered. 6 generations. Wow.

post #11 of 92

Samsung: profits down 20% year over year, income down 15%, sales down 10%, operating profits down 25%, shares down.   Still the largest smartphone supplier, but global market share down from 32% to 25%

 

Will yesterday's announced products change that?  I don't think so.  

 

Samsung -- offering incremental improvements to existing products in markets where Samsung already competes.

 

Apple -- pushing into brand new markets.  Phablets?  new territory.  Wearables?  Totally new.  Payments?  That's new.

 

This is why Apple has unique opportunity to rise all the metrics listed in the first paragraph, above.

 

So says a non professional amateur investor lol.   But I'll bet I'm right!

post #12 of 92

But one should not deny that... Samsung new Note's design got improved.

post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post
 

But one should not deny that... Samsung new Note's design got improved.


By adding a ring of aluminum?

post #14 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post
 

But just wait until their new announcements in two weeks after they have a chance to copy on Apple's new products!

 

There, fixed that for you. ;):lol:

 

Joking aside, Samescum is in a serious world of hurt right now. Their brand has been taking a beating because they are showing that they don't know which direction they are going. Six iterations of Galaxy Gear in over a year. They have so many "smart" phones out there, no one is really sure which is the new one and which is not. Then you have these carriers that keep promoting Galaxy IIIs as new phones for free, further diluting their brand.

 

Just a really ugly situation for a completely moral-less company.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply
post #15 of 92

Analyst says......

 

Anyone. Literally ANYONE could make this observation. Maybe I should go get an MBA... I'd sure get paid a bunch more to be a dumbass than I am as a "Designer"...

post #16 of 92

So, when an analysts says anything bad, negative, not in the favor of or something most of you guys disagree with about Apple, you guys hate on analysts in a big way. Now that an analysts says something which you guys agree with it's all rosy. Got it.

 

Not that I disagree with almost all that is being reported but I've read the site long enough to see how you guys swing. You guys really crack me up. Thanks for all the laughs. 

post #17 of 92
Six Samsung "smartwatches" this year! And a zillion from every other company.

Apple's hardware ("smartwatch" or whatever) will be trivialized as "only having a few innovative differences and looking better."

Meanwhile the important thing--the SOFTWARE and the whole ecosystem--will be overlooked in favor of spec-obsession. The REAL value of tech is what it DOES, and software (from OS, to specific integration with hardware features, to 3rd-party support) is what matter most.

Most of the media and tech blogosphere doesn't understand that--or pretends not to.

We've seen the pattern before... we'll see it again soon.
post #18 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

sigh...

 

Apple products stand on their own.

 

Apple's only competition is people's expectations of Apple's Products.

 

Samsung doesn't win market share, Apple just doesn't want parts of the market.   

You win the post of the month award.

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

Reply

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

Reply
post #19 of 92

I don't know why Samsung would have rushed to get their products out anyways. First doesn't mean better (in fact its usually the latter). Apple isn't always the first to do something, but they're typically far better than the space they just entered/upgraded. Don't announce things until they're ready and well thought out. The products they released the other day are just shameful. If thats "The Next Big Thing", then Samsung is in trouble and we'll really see if thats true come Tuesday. 


Edited by macxpress - 9/4/14 at 12:49pm

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #20 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a disgusting company that is only causing massive consumer confusion through constant product spamming, and negatively affecting people's relationship with technology because of this. 

"Negatively affecting people's relationship with technology?" Really? You need to quit taking any relationship you have with Technology seriously dude... She doesn't love you, she's only after your money...
post #21 of 92
Samsung's new products look like prototypes that need more work and shouldn't have been released.
Epic fail. Note 4 looks pretty much identical. Note Edge is a gimmick that people won't get used to. Their watch looks ugly. The Gear VR looks like it belongs in the 90s. I currently have a Note 3.
post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

So, when an analysts says anything bad, negative, not in the favor of or something most of you guys disagree with about Apple, you guys hate on analysts in a big way. Now that an analysts says something which you guys agree with it's all rosy. Got it.

Not that I disagree with almost all that is being reported but I've read the site long enough to see how you guys swing. You guys really crack me up. Thanks for all the laughs. 

Difference is analysts speculate on Apple rumors prior to announcement. This analyst have his opinion on Sammy after the announcement.
post #23 of 92

News about today says that Apple has negotiated deals with card issuers and banks for favorable terms for its yet-to-be-announced payment system. No surprise. And also that Apple will get to keep "a piece of the action". Also - no surprise.

 

What I expect is that Apple will offer to, or perhaps, insist on indemnifying the issuers/banks against fraud. Why would Apple do this? Because it will put Samsung is a very, very bad place. Sam is trying to copy Apple and so far it has succeeded with look-and-feel. But this is security and Samsung has no decent fingerprint reader or security enclave.

 

Maybe Samsung will ape Apple this time too, but it may be very, very expensive.

post #24 of 92

Everyone keeps saying the Apple stock took a tumble due to samsung announcement. in fact it had nothing to do with that some stupid analysis came out and was advising the investment communities to pull their profits off the table before the apple announcement next week since nothing they will announce will have any immediate impact on Apples earnings in the neat future and that any products base on health or home kit will not generate any significant revenue. This information came out first thing in the morning and the sell order started to roll then Samsung announcement came out and the buy and sell volume number leveled out but the damage was done and everyone blamed the Samsung Announcement.

post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

News about today says that Apple has negotiated deals with card issuers and banks for favorable terms for its yet-to-be-announced payment system. No surprise. And also that Apple will get to keep "a piece of the action". Also - no surprise.

This is a very very big deal ...

Both Apple and the credit card providers can incite customers to use their respective products and services -- by offering lower fees, higher/more cashback rewards ...

I've posted elsewhere, that the credit card providers might/should be willing to subsidize the purchase of iDevice hardware tied in with use of their services.

Say, BofA Visa offers a cashback reward of $300 for the first $1,500 charged using a iPhone 6.

A friend recently opened a BofA Visa account and got a $200 cashback reward for just using the card for $1,500 -- mostly over the Internet, with no card present.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/4/14 at 2:28pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #26 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

News about today says that Apple has negotiated deals with card issuers and banks for favorable terms for its yet-to-be-announced payment system. No surprise. And also that Apple will get to keep "a piece of the action". Also - no surprise.

This is a very very big deal ...

Both Apple and the credit card providers can incite customers to use their respective products and services -- by offering lower fees, higher/more cashback rewards ...

I've posted elsewhere, that the credit card providers might/should be willing to subsidize the purchase of iDevice hardware tied in with use of their services.

Say, BofA Visa offers a cashback reward of $300 for the first $1,500 charged using a iPhone 6.

A friend recently opened a BofA Visa account and got a $200 cashback reward for just using the card for $1,500 -- mostly over the Internet, with no card present.

Unless, of course, the public decides it can't trust

Apple's hardware's or software's inherent security to protect their privacy...

​Hmmmwhere have I heard that suggested recently?

post #27 of 92
I have a mockup of the iPhone 6 5.5" and it is huge. It is bigger than the galaxy s5. It is thin as can be. It's an iPad nano.

Hell, yes! I am getting one! I'll keep my old iPhone 5 if I want a small phone for working out , but I want that big display for all surfing and webbing. Who makes calls anyway?
post #28 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

So, when an analysts says anything bad, negative, not in the favor of or something most of you guys disagree with about Apple, you guys hate on analysts in a big way. Now that an analysts says something which you guys agree with it's all rosy. Got it.

In order for your conclusions to be true, you must assume the following:
1. All analysts are always right or always wrong.
2. Analysts are without bias

I don't think you can make either assumption.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post
 

Unless, of course, the public decides it can't trust

Apple's hardware's or software's inherent security to protect their privacy...

​Hmmmwhere have I heard that suggested recently?

 

@Bore: you should focus on the "essence", and you have not so far.

 

The essence is that Apple's security on the iPhone and access to protected information on iPhone is second to none.

 

The hoopla is that some peoples' accounts seem to have been compromised because of shortcomings with password/security-questions (which are industry standard). Why were they hacked? Purely because their personal info (photos etc) are valuable, unlike yours and mine. 

 

And I suspect that some on Wall St have done some market manipulation as well. Hard for an outsider to tell, but the drop is unusual.

post #30 of 92

Samsung is like an all-you-can-eat buffet. Yes they've got everything but they all taste like sh**.

post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

@Bore: you should focus on the "essence", and you have not so far.

The essence is that Apple's security on the iPhone and access to protected information on iPhone is second to none.

The hoopla is that some peoples' accounts seem to have been compromised because of shortcomings with password/security-questions (which are industry standard). Why were they hacked? Purely because their personal info (photos etc) are valuable, unlike yours and mine. 

And I suspect that some on Wall St have done some market manipulation as well. Hard for an outsider to tell, but the drop is unusual.

Right plus I still suspect many simply fell for phishing emails, there have been a ton recently ... and some of those celebrates were blondes after all ...1wink.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #32 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a note to investors on Thursday, White, of Cantor Fitzgerald, used the words "underwhelming," "rushed," and "half-baked" to describe Samsung's announcements,

Their announcements are underwhelming, rushed and half-baked???
post #33 of 92

Samsung Gear S will look like sh.t after iWatch annoucement...really. Apple catch Samsung off guard again on the smart watch...I'm sure.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply
post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I have a mockup of the iPhone 6 5.5" and it is huge. It is bigger than the galaxy s5. It is thin as can be. It's an iPad nano.

Hell, yes! I am getting one! I'll keep my old iPhone 5 if I want a small phone for working out , but I want that big display for all surfing and webbing. Who makes calls anyway?

True. Who makes calls anymore? I have 450 shared minutes in my family plan and never go over it...really.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply
post #35 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

@Bore: you should focus on the "essence", and you have not so far.

The essence is that Apple's security on the iPhone and access to protected information on iPhone is second to none.

I've never in any way said _I_ disrespect Apple's security commitments or expertise.

 

I'm suggesting that when you enter a market - the rather significant portion of the world's

population that makes credit purchases - you are reaching a huge number of people who

may not be as sanguine about Apple generally as you or I, and which may need a reason to trust Apple…or be

open to reasons, however spurious, not to.

 

So a preemptive strike against that aspect of Apple may slow acceptance among folks who know no better.

 

There are articles and posts here every day concerning the attempts of rivals to discredit one another (alright, mostly of

companies and their lackeys in journalism belittling Apple)…I simply think there is a possibility that we are seeing this

taking place here in the run-up to Apple's announcements next week.

 

We live in a time when, if products don't make an instant success, they are very unlikely ever to catch on,

and though I think the current group are doing quite well, no one could instill excited anticipation of a new release -

almost a pre-acceptance - like Steve Jobs…

So without him, perhaps Apple is more susceptible to attacks of this sort, 

especially in an area where credibility and trust are paramount.

 

(for what it's worth, I fully understand that it is lazy password and security measures by the celebs that enabled the hacking)

post #36 of 92
"Our strategy is ill-advised because our events are 'half baked' with no details around the price points, launch dates a bit fuzzy, limited technical specifications, and 'gimmicky' features."

Sounds like ScamScum has a new mission statement.
post #37 of 92

All I can say about Samsung's (same-song) presentation is that it was very awkward to watch. They had some very convincing arguments, but nothing really solid and earth-shattering.

post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Difference is analysts speculate on Apple rumors prior to announcement. This analyst have his opinion on Sammy after the announcement.

 

Analysts get the same response even when they criticize Apple's decisions after the fact.

post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


In order for your conclusions to be true, you must assume the following:
1. All analysts are always right or always wrong.
2. Analysts are without bias

I don't think you can make either assumption.

 

That makes no sense.  He didn't say anything about the accuracy of the analysts' conclusions themselves.  He pointed out the behavior of the members of this forum.

post #40 of 92
In order to make an informed comment here, for the first time, I forced myself to digest a Samsung Keynote and watch the whole Unpacked Episode 2 Berlin (just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?) event...

I lost count of how many times I threw up in my mouth

The sheer level of repeated, almost forced, marketing assumptions was beyond disgusting. As the product really has NOTHING new to offer they filled an entire session with complete nonsense! And WTF was up with that dumb British blonde constantly calling it glamorous and beautiful and asking if she could put cat photos on it? 1hmm.gif And you KNOW they've screwed themselves if a headline "feature" in your keynote is lock screen wallpapers! HOLY $@%%^}*&$@ CHRIST! I think my favourite part was the presenters almost having to subconsciously BEG the audience to clap, because the place was as quiet as a morgue.

I think Brian White was spot on, an amazing feat for a Wall Street analyst, that Apple has NOTHING to worry about, and that Samsung is gonna be pissing itself when it sees the crash of their sales over the upcoming holiday quarter!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Samsung's 'rushed,' 'half-baked' announcements set Apple up for easy victory this fall, analyst says