or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › IBM ceases production.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IBM ceases production.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I heard that, from an actual I.B.M employee that chip making is slowingdown/ceasing. They are restalking their plants/buildings with motorola made computers. These computers will be used for clerical and for programming.

Purportedly, the chip in the box is also a motorola. Where does this take us?
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #2 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>I heard that, from an actual I.B.M employee that chip making is slowingdown/ceasing. They are restalking their plants/buildings with motorola made computers. These computers will be used for clerical and for programming.

Purportedly, the chip in the box is also a motorola. Where does this take us?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that makes sense...invest in new production facilities in order to reduce production.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #3 of 23
Wow, that's an...ummm..."impressive" bit of insider info there. IBM switching to Motorola processors.....

<img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />

I'm sure it will come as quite a shock to all the IBM guys at the Microprocessor Forum when it's announced!

<img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #4 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>I heard that, from an actual I.B.M employee that chip making is slowingdown/ceasing. They are restalking their plants/buildings with motorola made computers. These computers will be used for clerical and for programming.

Purportedly, the chip in the box is also a motorola. Where does this take us?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A real live employee? Gee, IBM only has what, 120,000 of those? Given that IBM just opened a new fabrication facility, I'd say your source was just a teensy bit mistaken.

Just a side note: the word is "restOCKing", not restALKing" I doubt IBM is hunting motorola systems, again. (could be fun though. ) Also, motorola doesn't make computers, just chips. IBM does make computers though. Hmmm...might be time for a new source, sorry.

post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
They might have been packaged cases. But the decal on the outside of the box reads "Motorola." He also has said that they are really-really fast. I couldn't get any more details because he said they were just getting them in and he was getting his IBM AUX machine ready to be re-sold.

120,000 out of 300,000,000? Ya wow. That's 1 in every 2500 people (U.S) and 1 in every 50,000 people world wide. The odds are better than Lottery, but not as good as when you want to find them in a crowd.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</p>
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
What's the fabrication unit for. Yes, I have heard the rumor. Do you really know what it's for? Or is the "fabrication unit" something you see as proof that IBM is now going to make a bajillion new G5's, Power5's and G4's. I don't think that's all IBM makes.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #7 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>They might have been packaged cases. But the decal on the outside of the box reads "Motorola." He also has said that they are really-really fast. I couldn't get any more details because he said they were just getting them in and he was getting his IBM AUX machine ready to be re-sold.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, it's <a href="http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/" target="_blank">AIX</a>. A/UX is Apple's first failed attempt at a modern operating system. Try to guess the other two.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Dude, sorry about the A/UX thing. AIX it was.

I'm going to take a stab and guess: DOS and Windows...or were those only spawned from the Apple][ and the MacOS?

hmmmm.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</p>
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #9 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>I heard that, from an actual I.B.M employee that chip making is slowingdown/ceasing. They are restalking their plants/buildings with motorola made computers. These computers will be used for clerical and for programming.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> So your IBM source told you, essentially, that they're converting their fabs into office space? <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
post #10 of 23
AI Future Hardware threads that are a total waste of space and time are so.. two and 3/4 years ago.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
post #11 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>What's the fabrication unit for. Yes, I have heard the rumor. Do you really know what it's for? Or is the "fabrication unit" something you see as proof that IBM is now going to make a bajillion new G5's, Power5's and G4's. I don't think that's all IBM makes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then please do tell us what do you think the "fabrication unit" is for.
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Office space: maybe, or they could be fabbing one of their OTHER chip architectures!
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Most likely it will fab more than just one architecture. But still, isn't the building still being built?
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #14 of 23
Moving to General Discussion...
post #15 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by Jamie:
<strong>Moving to General Discussion...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why is this General Discussion? Doesn't it deal with the (diminishing if true) possibility of future chips for Apple computers?

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: BR ]</p>

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #16 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by BR:
<strong>

Why is this General Discussion? Doesn't it deal with the (diminishing if true) possibility of future chips for Apple computers?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html" target="_blank">read me</a>. Especially number 10.
post #17 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by Jamie:
<strong>

Please <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html" target="_blank">read me</a>. Especially number 10.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not my thread and I have no particular vested interest in it...I was just wondering and stating my opinion. Sheesh. Lighten up. I'm not attacking you. Shoot me for asking a legitimate question in public.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: BR ]</p>

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #18 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>Office space: maybe, or they could be fabbing one of their OTHER chip architectures!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought you said that IBM's getting out of the chip making business?
post #19 of 23
Best thread ever.
post #20 of 23
post #21 of 23
I can't believe I just read this.

I can't believe I just posted this, either.

Best thread ever.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #22 of 23
[quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:
<strong>Most likely it will fab more than just one architecture. But still, isn't the building still being built?</strong><hr></blockquote>

They're still in the process of replacing expensive semiconductor equipment with brand new Motorola computers.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Analogue bubblebath ]</p>
post #23 of 23
So what they gonna buy? A shedload of Intels? <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › IBM ceases production.