or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPod and song swapping

iPod and song swapping

post #1 of 7
In this article, <a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/820292.asp" target="_blank">Napster or not, file swaps continue</a>, it is written that [quote]If I were in the music industry I would be shaking about new burn software. ITunes on Apples iPod is really easy to use, Herron said. I take my iPod to my friends house and I copy his new CD, rather than walk to the store in the rain and buy it. ... I download 17 tunes that are my favorites, burn CDs of them and give them to friends. The more easy they are to use, the less consumer has an understanding of the word steal.<hr></blockquote>
I was under the impression that the situation referenced was not possible, am I misinformed?
post #2 of 7
What a misinformed FUD spreading moron.

"iTunes on Apple's iPod": what the hell is that?

Trouble is, this is the type of factually incorrect crap that the RIAA uses to label us all criminals.
post #3 of 7
I think it's possible if you don't use auto-updating. You can never download songs off your iPod in iTunes, but with manual updating it's possible to upload songs to your iPod...I think.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #4 of 7
That's right. You can copy files from any computer TO your iPod, but you cannot do the reverse without third-party software. Does the author assume that Joe Consumer has downloaded "iPod2iTunes" (or similar)?

But the thing I pointed out was "iTunes on Apple's iPod".

iTunes is on the Macintosh. iPod is iPod. There is no iTunes on an iPod.

The author makes it sound like Apple has enabled consumers to easily pirate music, which they definitely have not done any more than any other computer or peripheral manufacturer. This type of writing will make Rights Nazis target Apple as an enemy, decreasing the chance that they will work WITH Apple, rather than AGAINST them, to come to a solution which is acceptable to artists, publishers and listeners alike.
post #5 of 7
Apple has made it quite easy to pirate music and carry it around to spread the piracy, the hardly-legible ("don't steal music") disclaimer notwithstanding.

I can download individual songs and iTunes will even make folders for them for me. No rip required.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #6 of 7
What stinks is how proud this kid is that this is possible.

But just so everyone understands: With iTunes and an iPod it is ONLY possible to upload songs TO the iPod. You can not pull music from an iPod into a different iTunes library. In fact, if you connect an iPod to a differnet Mac than it was synchronized with, you run the risk of totally losing all of the songs on the iPod, because the new computer's iTunes will want to take over.

Now, this discounts all use of software hacks that actually let you access the iPod music files without using iTunes. If yuo have one of those, thing are pretty open for copying and swapping. But that would alomost be like using an external hard drive to do the same thing. Nobody ever mentions that every PC has a floppy drive and or disk burner which also let you copy software.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #7 of 7
Quite right: as supplied, the iPod is not means of pirating music. These third-party hacks are, but that's down to the individual developers and users.

However, CD-burning within iTunes most definitely is, and no amount of "Don't steal music" notes at the bottom of webpages are going to change that.

The real problem is that the music industry doesn't trust music-lovers to be responsible, whereas a great many actually realise that if they don't buy the stuff in the first place, the artists won't get any money and won't be able to make any more music in the first place.
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPod and song swapping