or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Seeking Windows notebook buying advice

Seeking Windows notebook buying advice

post #1 of 17
So I've been alotted a budget of about $2300 for a new notebook purchase for work. Due to some windows-only proprietary software issues (and some discouraging reports about actually accomplishing anything in VPC) I have decided to go with a windows notebook, while satisfying my mac addiction at home. My question, then, is this:

If you had ~$2300, what PC notebook would you buy, and why?

My basic requirements are as follows:

A minimum 12.1" screen (this will be my primary daily-use machine)

Maximum weight 6lbs.(exclusive of power brick and othr peripherals) though the lighter the better, as I will travel quite a bit

Internal optical drive (preferably a CD-R/DVD combo, but at least a DVD)

built-in wi-fi

Any brands that I should look at befor eothers? Also, are there any makers that I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance,

SM
_ _ _________________________ _ _
smatanovic
smatanovic
post #2 of 17
Ummm, you do know what the name of this board is, right?
I'm making plastics right now!
I'm making plastics right now!
post #3 of 17
I would get an IBM, the T series is quite nice with both a touchpad and an eraser. Sony only if you get an extended warranty or something because that thing will break down real fast.
post #4 of 17
Gateway 450 XL

13.15" x 10.63" x 1.3" (W x D x H), approximate weight 6.01lb.

Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor @ 2.0 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM
40 GB Ultra ATA 100 HD
Floppy Drive
24x/10x/24x CD-RW & 8x DVD Combo-Drive
Two Type 2 or One Type 3 PC Card Slots
2 USB Ports, 1 FireWire Port, SVGA, Parallel, Serial, PS/2, and NTSC/PAL Video Output
15 XGA Active Matrix TFT Color Display
ATI Mobility Radeon w/ 32MB DDR Video Memory
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

$2128.00
post #5 of 17
Dude, get a Dell!
IBL!
IBL!
post #6 of 17
Having owned a Dell laptop myself, I can confidently refute Matsu's suggestion. The trials of Dell-ownership were what made me leave the Wintel platform in favor of the Macintosh. I was tired of Windows not working and very tired of the Dell hardware being so subpar. And I never found their "award-winning" tech support to be anything to write home about.

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Ari ]</p>
post #7 of 17
DP

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Ari ]</p>
post #8 of 17
BS.

I've seen a ton of Dell's and they have been perfectly reliable. My boss has a Dell, a few of my close friends have multiple Dell's, among the PC users I know, they are the only ones who've never had a problem.
IBL!
IBL!
post #9 of 17
Thanks for all of the responses. Has anyone used Toshibas? The Portege 4010 and Tecras look like they might fit the bill, though they are a bit more expensive.

Thanks,
SM
smatanovic
smatanovic
post #10 of 17
Toshiba laptops are really the best for a Pc laptop. Decently styled and suprisinly good features for the price. Supposedly they have good tech support. My dad has a gateway laptop, looks as close to the ti-book that you will get, but it sucks, and it has absolutly no battery to speak of. Avoid the gateways.
post #11 of 17
I shoul also note that I have also seen credit card claims reports for a major credit card and DELL does have a lot of claims/complaints relative to other makers, but I dunno if that's better or worse than any other company on a per unit basis, remember, Dell also sells a lot more computers than anybody else. So, iDunno, one the one hand my first hand experience has seen them be 100% reliable, on the other hand they may be no better or worse than other makes ???
IBL!
IBL!
post #12 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:
<strong>Ummm, you do know what the name of this board is, right? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Included in the description s "purchasing advice." I'd say my question qualifies.

SM
smatanovic
smatanovic
post #13 of 17
I would go with Toshiba. They make great laptops.

Our company has been using them for 4-5 years and never had any problems.

For $2,300 I would go with:
Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (PS610U-02HTC9)
1.70GHz P4
15 UXGA (1600 x 1200)
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go w/32MB DDR
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
40GB Hard drive
10/100 Ethernet
V.90/56K modem
Integrated Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b)
XP Pro

If you want to save some money you can get the following for $1499:
Satellite Pro 6100 (PS610U-024K19)
1.7Ghz P4
256MB 2100 DDR
40GB Hard Drive
DVD/CD-RW combo
10/100
14.1" XGA
Geforce4Go w/16MB DDR
XP Pro

Both of these have a Docking slot on the bottom for port replication. I just purchased 3 of these (The cheaper one), with the docking station for my company and they are very impressive computers.

Later,
Blizaine
wow my very own signature
wow my very own signature
post #14 of 17
Easily Toshiba. They're the only notebooks I would consider after a PowerBook.
post #15 of 17
Looks like Toshiba is the way to go. CDW has some rather good deals on Tecra's and Portege 4110's. The Sp 6100 reviewed above is a bit biger than what I am looking for, but I will go to the local Crap USA and put my hands on a few of these machines and see what I can see.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone.

SM
smatanovic
smatanovic
post #16 of 17
looking at the laptop prices posted in this thread, i'm starting to notice how competive apple's offerings really are. good work, der apfel
post #17 of 17
My recommendation is to follow <a href="http://www.techbargains.com/" target="_blank">http://www.techbargains.com/</a> for a week and decide.

You can get a great desktop and a laptop for $2300!
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Seeking Windows notebook buying advice