or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Does the promo mean "No G5" at MWSF
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does the promo mean "No G5" at MWSF

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Okay, okay, the "officially" part is an exaggeration.

Check this link out:
<a href="http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/</a>

Apple extended the Crystal Clear promo until January 31, 2002.

IMO, it means one of two things:

1) the new PowerMacs (G4 or G5) will appear after the promo date ends at an iPod-like special event.

2) there will be new G4s at MWSF and this is Apple's way of telling us there won't be any G5s.

I'm sure you'll all come up with your own crazy interpretations.

Frankly, the obsession with the G5 eludes me, so I don't care either way. All I want is a SuperDrive in the low-end PowerMac or high-end iMac. I very much want a SuperDrive setup between $1500 - $2000.

cheers!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]

edit- changed title to something less misleading. -Jonathan

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>
Like, I really had something clever to say, like, you know ...
Reply
Like, I really had something clever to say, like, you know ...
Reply
post #2 of 47
... or this is a way to clear out the PM G4s. If a PM G5 is released, it won't be eligible for this promotion!

Seriously, I'm more interested in what this says about the possibility of new displays at MWSF. Does this mean no 17/19/22 lineup?
post #3 of 47
It might mean no displays at SF. They could be released at Tokyo.

It might mean a delay in the G5. But I don't think so.

I think it is to clear inventory ASAP...of boh PM's and LCDs.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #4 of 47
You also really need to change this topic heading. It is misleading as you yourself point out.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #5 of 47
Seems kinda silly to set up a deal on "PowerMac G4s" if you're just about to release new ones . . .

I would think that if this promotion is limited to just that model that they would differnentiate it by "2001 G4s" to avoid confusion if there are "2002 G4s" coming out.

Obviously, there wouldn't be any confusion if they just released Power Mac G5s



But they could just wait to label it afterwards.

Or they'll announce G5s that will ship in February. Which would give me some more time to save up!
post #6 of 47
Well they limit it to certain part numbers. If there are G4's instead of G5's then the deal would only apply to the older G4's.
post #7 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:
<strong>Okay, okay, the "officially" part is an exaggeration.

Check this link out:
<a href="http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/</a>

Apple extended the Crystal Clear promo until January 31, 2002.

IMO, it means one of two things:

1) the new PowerMacs (G4 or G5) will appear after the promo date ends at an iPod-like special event.

2) there will be new G4s at MWSF and this is Apple's way of telling us there won't be any G5s.

I'm sure you'll all come up with your own crazy interpretations.

Frankly, the obsession with the G5 eludes me, so I don't care either way. All I want is a SuperDrive in the low-end PowerMac or high-end iMac. I very much want a SuperDrive setup between $1500 - $2000.

cheers!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're going to read into the extension of this promo, at least read into the fine print. If you'd bothered to read the fine print, you'd notice that the Crystal Clear promo only applies to the following G4s:

M8359LL/A (733) , M8360LL/A (867), and M8361LL/A (Dual 800)

And the following displays:

M7928ZM/A (15), M7649ZM/A (17), and M8058ZM/A (22).

Any new or revised products released at MWSF will carry a new product number. Thus, this offer would not apply to any new G4s, G5s, or displays apple may release ay MWSF. This of course rules out your inference that Apple will release revved G4s rather than G5s at MWSF. It also doesn't mean Apple has noting new for us at MWSF.

All we can tell from the extension of the offer is that Apple wants to make EXTRA sure they clear their stock of current G4s and/or displays. We can't logically tell if they're doing this to so they can release new PowerMacs on February 1, or if they're doing this so any remnants of the current stock will sell through after the introduction of a new product at MWSF.
post #8 of 47
Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.
post #9 of 47
I seem to recall Apple still offering the old Powermac 533 with a mitsu monitor for education customers only at a nice discount. Hardly unprecedented for Apple to keep clear out an old model with some sort of deal as the new models begin their retail lives.
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #10 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by SkullMac:
[QB]

Any new or revised products released at MWSF will carry a new product number. Thus, this offer would not apply to any new G4s, G5s, or displays apple may release ay MWSF. This of course rules out your inference that Apple will release revved G4s rather than G5s at MWSF. It also doesn't mean Apple has noting new for us at MWSF.
QB]<hr></blockquote>

So what you're saying is that this means absolutely NOTHING. We're back to square one again?

Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Reply
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Reply
post #11 of 47
Um, thanks for the great thread title.

&lt;flogs NeoMac in forehead&gt;
post #12 of 47
Or it could be a typo. :cool:
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #13 of 47
I believe that the "Crystal Clear Savings" promotion is going to be offered even with the arrival of G5's. The Apple displays are a bit overpriced and the G5 may be more expensive than the current Powermac line, therefore making the LCD savings necessary. If i dont know then who knows?
I really do know.
Reply
I really do know.
Reply
post #14 of 47
I'm wondering what this means re: moving the current inventory. Are they not meeting with previous expectations, and have to extend the offer to clear the channels? I'm asking purely from an investor's point of view, of course.
post #15 of 47
They just caused a big stir with the whole MWSF keynote thing, so they have to sweeten the pot a little to sell their current machines...

This wouldn't be the first time they had a promo expire after a show, either. They've done it with PowerBooks at least once. It could mean that they won't actually ship the new PowerMacs until February, or it could mean that they're preparing to have to do some serious channel clearing through January, regardless of when the new models appear.
They could also change the promo's expiration date. They've done that, too.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #16 of 47
I don't think this means anything. Like other people have said, it would only apply to the old G4s so it wouldn't matter if newer G4s or G5s came out. They wouldn't get the deal.
post #17 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:
<strong>Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LoL I second this motion
post #18 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:
<strong>Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LoL I second this motion
post #19 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Fluffy:
<strong>
Seriously, I'm more interested in what this says about the possibility of new displays at MWSF. Does this mean no 17/19/22 lineup?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. Not because I want one, but if they keep the 15" LCD in the lineup does this make it more or less likely that the new iMac will have a15" LCD too?

Chris
post #20 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:
<strong>

Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>


[quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:
<strong>

LoL I second this motion</strong><hr></blockquote>


Cout me in too.
post #21 of 47
Please tell me where in that Apple stated they won't be releasing G5s at MacWorld San Francisco. That's what I thought.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #22 of 47
I believe there was a B&W G3 promo back in '99 with a printer or RAM deal that lasted until AFTER the G4s were announced....
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
Reply
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
Reply
post #23 of 47
LOL, if Apple releases G5s at MWSF, they are going to need a promo on G4s to get rid of them. This doesn't mean squat.
post #24 of 47
apple has ended promotions before the stated date before. For example, the tibook cd-rw promo was supposed to go until mid september, and instead got shortened till mid-august, when they cut the prices. So, could happen w/this promo as well
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
Reply
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
Reply
post #25 of 47
At least he didn't say "NO G5's CONFIRMED" in his title
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #26 of 47
Apple's got a pretty long history of having promotions extend beyond new product introductions. Simply clears out old models. This doesn't mean anything. If G5's are announced, it means you'll be able to get an old G4 system for $200-$500 less.
post #27 of 47
Already changed it. Check it again.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/</a>

"Buy a Power Mac G4 at an Apple store near you between October 26 and December 31, 2001, and get a picture perfect deal on any Apple flat panel display."

Does this mean that there WILL be a G5 at MWSF? No.

If it said the promo ended January 31, 2002 then I think that will mean there will be no new Pro Computers at MWSF, do you think they will sell old G4s and new G5s at the same time? Definately not, that would canibalize G5 sales.

Anyways, the fact is that the promo now ends in December making it very possible for new PowerMacs to be released at MWSF but not necesarily G5s.
post #28 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:
<strong>Already changed it. Check it again.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/</a>

"Buy a Power Mac G4 at an Apple store near you between October 26 and December 31, 2001, and get a picture perfect deal on any Apple flat panel display."

Does this mean that there WILL be a G5 at MWSF? No.

If it said the promo ended January 31, 2002 then I think that will mean there will be no new Pro Computers at MWSF, do you think they will sell old G4s and new G5s at the same time? Definately not, that would canibalize G5 sales.

Anyways, the fact is that the promo now ends in December making it very possible for new PowerMacs to be released at MWSF but not necesarily G5s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think mthe G4s ould cannibalize the G5 at all, in any way other then buying the lower end. There's been rumors that the low end towers will be G4s anyway.

Long Live The G5!! [whenever it comes out]
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #29 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:
<strong>Already changed it. Check it again.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/</a>

"Buy a Power Mac G4 at an Apple store near you between October 26 and December 31, 2001, and get a picture perfect deal on any Apple flat panel display."

Does this mean that there WILL be a G5 at MWSF? No.

If it said the promo ended January 31, 2002 then I think that will mean there will be no new Pro Computers at MWSF, do you think they will sell old G4s and new G5s at the same time? Definately not, that would canibalize G5 sales.

Anyways, the fact is that the promo now ends in December making it very possible for new PowerMacs to be released at MWSF but not necesarily G5s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now it's pretty much definite that we'll get some kind of new tower, either a much faster G4 or a G5.
post #30 of 47
uh guys, those are two different web pages with two different exp dates... look a thte first site then the second...

Exact same promo, different expiration dates...

<a href="http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/</a>
(January 31)
<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/</a>
(December 31)

Does this mean Steve will release the G4.5?

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Eupfhoria ]</p>
Dfn Eupfhoria: the joy of playing the 21st level of marathon.
Reply
Dfn Eupfhoria: the joy of playing the 21st level of marathon.
Reply
post #31 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Eupfhoria:
[QBExact same promo, different expiration dates...

<a href="http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/</a>
(January 31)
<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/</a>
(December 31)[/QB]<hr></blockquote>
Interesting indeed!! BUT you need to actually look at the coupon that these link to. They both have the same PDF which clearly states: [quote]Purchase a qualifying Power Mac G4 computer and any Apple flat-panel display between October 31, 2001, and January 31, 2002.<hr></blockquote>Okay, so, G5's for MWSF!
post #32 of 47
I figured out what it means...

It means Apple extended the Crystal Clear promo until January 31, 2002.
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
post #33 of 47
I figured out what it means...

It means Apple extended the Crystal Clear promo until January 31, 2002.
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
This Post Disabled on PowerMac G5s
Reply
post #34 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:

If it said the promo ended January 31, 2002 then I think that will mean there will be no new Pro Computers at MWSF<hr></blockquote>

why?

this could also mean "low-end g5 available in february, high-end g5 available in march" or something like that ... wouldn't be the first time for apple to announce something available a few months later.
post #35 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:
<strong>Already changed it. Check it again.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/promo/crystalclear/</a>

"Buy a Power Mac G4 at an Apple store near you between October 26 and December 31, 2001, and get a picture perfect deal on any Apple flat panel display."

Does this mean that there WILL be a G5 at MWSF? No.

If it said the promo ended January 31, 2002 then I think that will mean there will be no new Pro Computers at MWSF, do you think they will sell old G4s and new G5s at the same time? Definately not, that would canibalize G5 sales.

Anyways, the fact is that the promo now ends in December making it very possible for new PowerMacs to be released at MWSF but not necesarily G5s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I disagree with you as well. They would at least have to update them. There will be a lynch mob if they don't. I saw how there are now two different dates on two different pages. This is probably a simple web page update mistake.

Assuming the date is January 31st, it just might mean they want a few more days in January to clear inventory. I would be willing to bet that if G5 was released along with new displays....then it is plausible that they will be availbale in, say, two weeks for the low end and maybe as far as March at the high end.

But who knows.....
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #36 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
<strong>

No, I disagree with you as well. They would at least have to update them. There will be a lynch mob if they don't. I saw how there are now two different dates on two different pages. This is probably a simple web page update mistake.


But who knows.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Considering the earlier report from the big secret mole at The Register and MOSR about G5's ... I think the odds of us getting a G5 have just increased about 20% given this information.

Here's how my idle speculation works ..,

The mole claimed two things:

1 - That Apollo's were done

2 - That G5's were looking good, but nobody would know for certain until a "big production run on the week of Dec 12" (as best as I can remember.)

And what happened in the past week?

Well, firstly, that week of Dec 12 came and went: and two strange trigger events (almost like trip wires) happened which seem to confirm the MOSR story.

1 - big changes at MacWorld, and extended show, and a date move up.

2 - a promo appeared, first putting a date of Jan 31 2001, and now, it's been changed to Dec 31st.

Now of course, none of this proves anything ... but the mythological map provided by MOSR does seem to fit these results a little too well.

As in - at first, Apple didn't know if they could provide G5's ... so the MacWorld show was kept to a standard schedule (please check my facts here, was the scheduding actually changed during the week of the 12th? I'm pretty sure it was) but during the week of the supposed G5 production run, things went well enough ... so MacWorld was modified accordingly.

And now ... that promo date change! True it could be a typo ... but a change of a month like that during that key week of G5 runs, seems to say, the runs went well ... and we don't need to wait another month, we can demo and deliver within a reasonable time frame of MWSF.

Given this latest typo - I think the odds of our seeing a G5 have increased, as I said before, about 20% ... but 20% more of what?

Ahhhh, that is the question isn't it?

Let me say at least this: the odds of us getting a G5 at MWSF are now probably better than 50/50.

Especially given the cryptic AppleTurns story a few days ago ... we're probably at about 60%.
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
Reply
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
Reply
post #37 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:
<strong>LOL, if Apple releases G5s at MWSF, they are going to need a promo on G4s to get rid of them. This doesn't mean squat.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you are such an a*shole, JD. I don't think this guy is right either, but that doesnt mean you have to be such a dick about it. God damn. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
post #38 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by Fluffy:
<strong>... or this is a way to clear out the PM G4s. If a PM G5 is released, it won't be eligible for this promotion!

Seriously, I'm more interested in what this says about the possibility of new displays at MWSF. Does this mean no 17/19/22 lineup?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Never mind G4 G5! what apple needs to do is announce a 30% across the board price cut! Their prices are outrageous!!!!
post #39 of 47
rbald, get therapy. Repeat after me:

They're only computers.
They're only computers
post #40 of 47
[quote]Originally posted by rbald:
<strong>
Never mind G4 G5! what apple needs to do is announce a 30% across the board price cut! Their prices are outrageous!!!!
</strong><hr></blockquote>

You get what you pay for. Personally, I don't want 30% less computer or quality. I'm willing to pay Apple's relatively higher prices because I know that they're worth it - and actually the better bargain in the long run. If list price is all you care about, go buy a Windows box - and regret it for the next 3 years.
"Mathematics is the language with which God has written the Universe" - Galileo Galilei
Reply
"Mathematics is the language with which God has written the Universe" - Galileo Galilei
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Does the promo mean "No G5" at MWSF