or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › after replying, redirect to same page
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

after replying, redirect to same page

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
when you have a multiple page topic and you post a reply, it brings you back to page 1. Thats annoying as hell.

I know its possible (maybe not with UBB?) to make it so that if you are on page 5 when you reply, you will return to page 5 AND to the bottom of the page where you replied to see what you wrote.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
post #2 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by ZO:
<strong>when you have a multiple page topic and you post a reply, it brings you back to page 1. Thats annoying as hell.

I know its possible (maybe not with UBB?) to make it so that if you are on page 5 when you reply, you will return to page 5 AND to the bottom of the page where you replied to see what you wrote.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, this has been something that has bugged me for a while. It would be nice to see this fixed.
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
post #3 of 35
That's the feature I loved most about the Bad Flamingo boards. You'd post on page 3 of a thread and get taken back to page 3 after posting. I feat that this serious shortcoming is inherent in the UBB software. Who the hell knows why Infopop hasn't fixed this yet. They've certainly had years to fix it.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #4 of 35
<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000015" target="_blank">My recent request for this feature</a>

See everone wants this!
It took me ages to find this post without my image sig
Reply
It took me ages to find this post without my image sig
Reply
post #5 of 35
Jonathan: Is this something you guys could fix? If not, it's time to lobby infopop! Being taken back to page 1 even when you posted on page 25 is a serious functional flaw.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #6 of 35
I don't know that it's fixable. I will do some research.
post #7 of 35
Adding my 2ยข... Redirects to the proper page would be much welcomed!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #8 of 35
This is one of my major complaints! Mucho chocolate chip cookies to whomever may fix this..
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
Reply
post #9 of 35
I have to say, this is really starting to drive me 'round the twist <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />

... especially in conjunction with this IBM Stinkpad which I am temporarily using! Man, I can't believe that in Explorer if you hit the delete key and the cursor is not exactly in this typing box then it acts as a "Back" command within the browser!! So I'm happily typing along and then poof I am about 5 pages back from where I thought I was typing the post. Windows... Grrr Please pardon my deviation

edit: I didn't make clear that what is "driving me 'round the twist" is the fact that I post and end up at page 1... just restating my annoyance about this.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Retrograde ]</p>
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
post #10 of 35
I agree.

And I'm pretty sure I've visited a couple other UBB forums where this feature was implemented, so I don't think it's technically difficult. There should be some record of this feature on one of the "new to this version" documents on UBB's web site.

I'm reasonably sure it can be done....
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #11 of 35
Agreed - please register my frustration with being sent back to page 1 of the thread after posting a reply.
less is more
Reply
less is more
Reply
post #12 of 35
it would inddedy be much appreciated to be sent back to the appropriate page;
post #13 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by Retrograde:
<strong>... especially in conjunction with this IBM Stinkpad which I am temporarily using! Man, I can't believe that in Explorer if you hit the delete key and the cursor is not exactly in this typing box then it acts as a "Back" command within the browser!! So I'm happily typing along and then poof I am about 5 pages back from where I thought I was typing the post. Windows... Grrr Please pardon my deviation

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know, but in Explorer for OS 9 and for OS X hitting delete works as a back button too.
post #14 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>I don't know, but in Explorer for OS 9 and for OS X hitting delete works as a back button too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, EmAn you are right about this, but there appears to be a significant difference (which I just confirmed as I am posting this using IE5 on a mac).

The difference is that when I am typing in this text box and I make a mistake I can delete it by hitting the back button: this does not cause my browser to go back to previous web pages but properly deletes the text I ask it to.

Now, this also works when using Explorer in Windows except you have to have the mouse cursor hovering above the text box! If the mouse cursor falls anywhere else on the web page while you are typing in a text box and you hit the backspace it will send you back to previous pages of the browser rather than delete the text you had hoped it to. I consider this to be a major annoyance, especially when typing in small text field boxes on some web pages.

Anyway, so Jonathan is there any word on returning us within UBB to the page we posted on rather than the first in multiple page posts?
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
post #15 of 35
<a href="http://www.quake3world.com/forums" target="_blank">www.quake3world.com/forums</a>

Freakin' f*cking best UBB I've ever seen. The Tech Admin integrated a bunch of self-made hacks which seriously own.
post #16 of 35
Yes, that's a good idea. I'll look into it at some point. Parallax still hasn't gotten around to moving the user info to the left side, but it'll happen soon.
"If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the...
Reply
"If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the...
Reply
post #17 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by Retrograde:
<strong>

Yes, EmAn you are right about this, but there appears to be a significant difference (which I just confirmed as I am posting this using IE5 on a mac).

The difference is that when I am typing in this text box and I make a mistake I can delete it by hitting the back button: this does not cause my browser to go back to previous web pages but properly deletes the text I ask it to.

Now, this also works when using Explorer in Windows except you have to have the mouse cursor hovering above the text box! If the mouse cursor falls anywhere else on the web page while you are typing in a text box and you hit the backspace it will send you back to previous pages of the browser rather than delete the text you had hoped it to. I consider this to be a major annoyance, especially when typing in small text field boxes on some web pages.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahhh... I get it now.
post #18 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<strong>Yes, that's a good idea. I'll look into it at some point. Parallax still hasn't gotten around to moving the user info to the left side, but it'll happen soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it's pretty easy. I just tried it out following <a href="http://ubbdev.com/hacks/6.1/anchor.txt" target="_blank">this advice</a>. Be sure to have local a backup of your UBB in case anything doesn't work. OS X is great for trying stuff like this offline first.
post #19 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by Infinite Void:
<strong>Actually, it's pretty easy. I just tried it out following <a href="http://ubbdev.com/hacks/6.1/anchor.txt" target="_blank">this advice</a>. Be sure to have local a backup of your UBB in case anything doesn't work. OS X is great for trying stuff like this offline first.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Parallax: Did you see this? Even though hacks are a pain when you upgrade, this one would most definitely be worth it.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #20 of 35
It's gonna get done, one way or another.
post #21 of 35
Jonathan: You could do it yourself if Parallax is busy.
post #22 of 35
Is there an ETA on this fix?
less is more
Reply
less is more
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quoting some guy from id Software:

[quote]When it is done.<hr></blockquote>

post #24 of 35
I maybe just imagined it, but I think this is happening now? Much better.

Next: Could you put links to the individual pages of a multi-page thread in the Last Post column of the main page, and also in the Topic column of the Today's Active Topics page?

[Edit: I did just imagine it. I put it down to too much sugar.]

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
Chicanery.
Reply
Chicanery.
Reply
post #25 of 35
Guys, this just has to be fixed. Any word on its possibility/eventuality?
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Reply
post #26 of 35
I agree.

You can email me the files - I'll edit them if nobody of the staff has free time...

It's quite simple if you follow the article I posted above...
post #27 of 35
After another week of using the new AI, I can say without hesitation the most glaring deficiency of the forums is the inability to redirect users to the same page after posting a reply. Hitting the back button is likely to cause double-posts, so that's not a solution IMO.

All I want for Christmas from AI is an update re-direct feature!
Aldo is watching....
Reply
Aldo is watching....
Reply
post #28 of 35
yes it's the best suggestion that we can make. I vote for it
post #29 of 35
No, I'd rather have an iPod and a Newton 2, but I'll take redirecting the the same page too.
post #30 of 35
...and a sweet iBook too.
post #31 of 35
guys... what can i say... it will happen, soon (before mwsf, i'm 99% sure)

sorry for the delay
post #32 of 35
heh. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
post #33 of 35
THANK YOU!

It even goes to the bottom of the page, excellent.
post #34 of 35
[quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:
<strong>THANK YOU!

It even goes to the bottom of the page, excellent. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks from me too. This is the only gripe I had with the new AI boards. Now I'm perfectly happy. Did the fix come with a UBB upgrade, or was it a manually applied patch? In any case, it works flawlessly and even better than I expected.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #35 of 35
Manually applied Patch. Works like a charm, though.

Now, to stop these DOS attacks hitting the ISP...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › after replying, redirect to same page