I've actually thought about something like this for a while. The site is too cool and has too many smart, funny and cool people on it to JUST be a UBB message forum.
I understand that it may never return to its rumor-mongering heyday, and that's fine. But I'd love to see AppleInsider be a bit more than it is.
- We should have a cool member profile/pic area (photo, personal info, computer set-up, etc.).
- A separate, standalone gallery of mockups and other art (lots of artists, illustrators and graphics people here...give them a place to showcase their stuff).
- SOMEBODY needs to get serious and design a cool-ass T-shirt or something and make it for sale.
- A section for member-written reviews or "state of the Mac" opinion pieces/columns.
- A Macworld Expo pool, where everyone contributes $5 and posts their predictions. Whoever gets closest, wins the money
-All this, in addition to (of course), the awesome boards would make for a KILLER, one-stop Mac site.
BTW, is it hard to be a Mac news site? Is it possible to incorporate that? Instead of going to 3-4 sites (maccentral, macminute, etc.), I'd love to just come here, get all the daily news on the front page, then proceed to the forums or galleries.
The community is here. The passion, talent, brainpower, creativity, technical know-how, amusing characters, etc. are all here.
Too bad there's only a message forum. It could be so much, much more. Forget the rumors...just do the other stuff (T-shirt, profile/pics, gallery, reviews/opinion pieces, etc.).