or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New Smilies

New Smilies

post #1 of 99
Do you guys like the new smilies I've made for the updated forums?
Or should we revert to the old "classic" UBB smilies we had?

Oh, and yes, there will be more to come such as the "eek" and "hrmm" smilies. I just haven't finished them all. If we choose to keep these, I'll work on them this weekend.
post #2 of 99
or, third option, iChat smileys!

brad doesn't like these.
post #3 of 99
Because orange-on-blueishgrey looks icky.
post #4 of 99
eek doesn't work...but i like them

i do miss the one where he had the shady eye getting bigger then the other...can't recall what it was called

i'd love to have that come back...the new onse are nice though!

goodjob brad!
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #5 of 99
feh

polls are cool®
post #6 of 99
The old mad smilie was much better than the new one, but the rest are OK, though I like the others a bit better, they look more classic. Whatever you do, change the back to the old version. Just look at that thing, it doesn't look mad, it just looks wrong.
IBL!
IBL!
post #7 of 99
The new ones are good, but I agree with Matsu - mad smiley needs a bit of a touch up. Looks more like he's pinching off a rather large loaf than being angry.

post #8 of 99
lol, yeah. That one needs some work.

I still have all my layered Photoshop files for the smilies; so, touching them up won't be too difficult.
post #9 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
The old mad smilie was much better than the new one, but the rest are OK, though I like the others a bit better, they look more classic.

I like the old tounge-sticker-outer better than the new one too. The old one had a certain deviousness about himself. The new one looks too mechanical...like he's (she's?) at a doctor saying 'AAAHHH'.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #10 of 99
Pah. No option for Spart's smileys. ( vs. )
post #11 of 99
:o :cool: :confused:

Well that's all of them.... where is the smoking one?
hmmm.... I need something clever here....
hmmm.... I need something clever here....
post #12 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by drumbug1
Well that's all of them.... where is the smoking one?

I guess you didn't bother reading my first post.

Quote:
Oh, and yes, there will be more to come such as the "eek" and "hrmm" smilies. I just haven't finished them all. If we choose to keep these, I'll work on them this weekend.
post #13 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by Spart
Pah. No option for Spart's smileys. ( vs. )

let's see them!

i'll add an option once i see them.
post #14 of 99
lol...it was just a joke. The grinning one is the only one I made. Took a few mins in PS.

I can make a whole set if you like, though.
post #15 of 99
the bigger size is nicer looking, for sure...

go for it
post #16 of 99
It's 16x16 rather than 15x15, not much bigger.

I'll make a few and see what people think.
post #17 of 99
Why is the :cool: smiley wearing swimming goggles?
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #18 of 99
exept my favorite smiley : , these smileys are better, when you look the whole window.
post #19 of 99
I wonder which one I chose above??
I'm making plastics right now!
post #20 of 99
So you can compare if anyone forgot:

LL
post #21 of 99
Wasn't there a smiley that would shake his head from side to side, as if to say "no, that's not right" ??

Also, the ANGRY smiley used to have his teeth gritted. That was good.

Anyway, I like the look of the new ones. Can additional smilies be added as time goes by?
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #22 of 99
iChat smileys definitely!
post #23 of 99
Old ones, definitely. I'm not a big fan of the new ones, plus the other ones seemed "sharper" and easier to see.

I'll also agree that the old one with the tongue looked more mischievious. The mad looked...madder.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #24 of 99
Jon:

Mine:

Brad's: :o :cool:

Bah can't include them all, image number restriction.

Not animated yet, but if you make me an option I'll load up ImageReady and have at it.
post #25 of 99
What's with the pastel color set? It looks, stupid.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
post #26 of 99
spart: go for it. there was a 'surprised' one, confused, the smokey guy, an \ guy... etc.

a 'devil' one may be a cool idea as well.
post #27 of 99
I vote that polling should start over. There have already been 22 votes before you could even vote for mine.
post #28 of 99
Spart, that mad one just looks vicious!
post #29 of 99
ok i've stripped the poll until everyone has posted theirs.
post #30 of 99
I really prefer the old ones. They were sharper, cleaner, had alot more character and expressed their emotions much better than these do. No offence to the people that made them, I just really think the old ones were better.

Forget the iChats... those suck.
The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.
The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.
post #31 of 99
There's a fine line between sharp and pixelated. The old ones were pixelated.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the entire old set of individual, animated emoticons we had with UBB? I'd like to have them for reference and to steal the timing in the GIF animations.

Email me them if you like.
post #32 of 99
Spart's smilies look marginally better than the current set, particularly the angry one.

Even though the old smilies may have been "cleaner", they really look like ass next to AI's new appearance.

First vB AI post! Good work, team.
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #33 of 99
i like some of the new ones but the old ones are classic

yeah how come the new ones are pastel colored...not that there is anything wrong with it

iChat smileys are good...i'd say teh old ones have everythign topped because they had the shifty eyed one
post #34 of 99
Testing BG1:

post #35 of 99
Testing BG2:

post #36 of 99
Okay the shadow looks like ass on the darker background and the glasses need work...I'll try back in a few.
post #37 of 99
I have a soft spot for this one over at MacNN: . Is something like it being added too?
post #38 of 99
I'm gonna pull iChat smileys off the table.

Too difficult, not that great.
post #39 of 99
Some of the new ones seem to lack a certain je ne sais quois....(thats for Powerdoc). I think the older tounge smily looked more devious because there was more curve to the mouth. I actually like the new angry smily...the other one seemed TOO angry. This is more of an annoyed smily . This is also my first post since the Great ChangeOver. Yay!!
Computer: MacBook Pro 15.4", 2 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.6

Internet: Verizon DSL (3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps), Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Netgear RP614v.2 Router, AirPort Express

"...
Computer: MacBook Pro 15.4", 2 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.6

Internet: Verizon DSL (3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps), Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Netgear RP614v.2 Router, AirPort Express

"...
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by gordy
I have a soft spot for this one over at MacNN: . Is something like it being added too?

Actually it gets really annoying over there at times, people adding 5 or 6 of these moving smilies to their threads... I'm going to have to vote NO on these.

Sorry gordy, I still love you, but I hate your suggestion. ha ha

*hugs gordy* there there...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New Smilies