or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Avatars?

post #1 of 12
I did a search () to see if this was already discussed, but found nothing.

Are they coming soon? Not at all?

Just curious. I like pretty pictures.
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by spotcatbug
I did a search () to see if this was already discussed, but found nothing.

Are they coming soon? Not at all?

Just curious. I like pretty pictures.

Hell yeah! I completely agree! Me wantee...
||||||||||||||||||||Bioflavonoid|||||||||||||||||||| bob.scifihifi.com
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste." -Steve Jobs
My tribute to Apple: http://bob.scifihifi.com/graphics...
||||||||||||||||||||Bioflavonoid|||||||||||||||||||| bob.scifihifi.com
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste." -Steve Jobs
My tribute to Apple: http://bob.scifihifi.com/graphics...
post #3 of 12
This was discussed long ago in the Suggestions forum. I'm not sure why the search didn't catch it.

Anyhow, we decided against them. In short, we decided they'd use too much bandwidth and be too gaudy.
post #4 of 12
I don't know Brad, personally I'd love to see this beneath your 10.81 posts per day:

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
I don't know Brad, personally I'd love to see this beneath your 10.81 posts per day:

I second that!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
This was discussed long ago in the Suggestions forum. I'm not sure why the search didn't catch it.

Anyhow, we decided against them. In short, we decided they'd use too much bandwidth and be too gaudy.

A small 100 x 100 or 80 x 80 avatar wouldn't use up too much bandwidth and the posts per page could be reduced to 30 to compensate as well.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

I can't find a bunch of old threads i have looked for... the more recent ones work fine tho...

things like the official appleinsider word association thread v2 or whatever can't be found (i can find v1 (and it is unlocked) )

maybe the search index got messed up because it is so big?

P.S. how do i make the default behavior in safari for spellcheck to be check spelling?

P.P.S how about making the heading for "Appleinsider - Reply to Topic" into "Appleinsider - Reply to [subject of thread]"

thanks

P.P.P.S. NO AVATARS!
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #8 of 12
You guys are teases. Jon says go forth, explore, 'i think you'll enjoy what you find'. I find signautres accept html! Boom, img sig. Avatars go under your name, and I'm against them. But allowing img sigs would be nice. You could limit the size of them... and they'd be hosted on a users server so it wouldn't leech your bandwidth, and i doubt everyone is going to have some place to host their images so there couldn't be that many users with them

That's not too big eh?
post #9 of 12
Thread hijack alert,

serrano Make sure you fix your sig, it turned mine into HTML aswell. I`m gussing something with the ubb parser and the serperate ways ubb and vb handle links..
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #10 of 12
Sorry, guys, but avatars is one issue that we're holding our ground on. Both Jon and I are in strong agreement on this one, Jon even once saying "the day you see avatars on this board is the day i resign." Here are a few such threads that asked about avatars:

Some Feature Requests

No images in the signatures

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I can't find a bunch of old threads i have looked for... the more recent ones work fine tho...

things like the official appleinsider word association thread v2 or whatever can't be found (i can find v1 (and it is unlocked) )

I rebuilt the search index overnight. Searches should work much better now.

Quote:
P.S. how do i make the default behavior in safari for spellcheck to be check spelling?

File a complaint/bug report with Apple. \

Quote:
P.P.S how about making the heading for "Appleinsider - Reply to Topic" into "Appleinsider - Reply to [subject of thread]"

Not a bad idea. I'll put it on the to-do list.
post #11 of 12

Hmmm....

post #12 of 12
After thinking about it, Ive come to the point where Im against the idea of avatars as well. I believe It would ruin the somewhat-moderate elegance of the place.

Appearance, not content. As there was never any elegance to the latter to begin with.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Avatars?