or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted)

New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted)

Poll Results: New Favicon?

• 32% (15)
    Apple with AI inside
  • 6% (3)
    3d apple
  • 19% (9)
    Bee
  • 41% (19)
    Circle AI
46 Total Votes  
post #1 of 89
[list=1][*] Apple with AI inside
[*] 3d Apple
[*] Bee
[*] Circle with AI inside
[/list=1]

edit: updating poll as icons change.
post #2 of 89
...oops. I have more favicons in the other thread. Sorry about that.
post #3 of 89
no problem, i'll add 'em here and enlarge the poll.

oh yeah, had to resize #1, it was 20x19 before. if the submitting author would like to resize themselves, let me know and i'll change the above image.

polls are fun.
post #4 of 89
how do we submit?

and wat size...16x16?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #5 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
how do we submit?

and wat size...16x16?

you post it i'll add it as soon as i can. that's it.

16x16
post #6 of 89
Yep, they're 16x16.

here's another version of the "porthole" design with an inverted center so the "AI" stands out more.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #7 of 89
Can you give us a list of colors you are interested in?
post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by /mandolux/
Can you give us a list of colors you are interested in?

i'd suppose the pallette of the site.
post #9 of 89
For me, it's a toss up between 1 & 3.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #10 of 89
2 or 4 (2 only if the "AI" was white)
post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Logan Cale
2 or 4 (2 only if the "AI" was white)

I'm odd, you're even.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #12 of 89
What do you guys think of these (some of them are revise):

Fire Flame ()
Agent ()
Bee ()
Apple 3D()
Apple 3D with a mask()
AI Simple()
AI Simple with a mask()
AI Simple with a bee and a mask()

Thank you Logan for the suggestion.
post #13 of 89
I like the first one, but it would only work if the background was transparent.
post #14 of 89
Quote:

Thank you DiscoCow for the suggestion.

If you are referring to: only if the "AI" was white, that suggestion would be Logan Cales, not mine. Or maybe I missed something?
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #15 of 89
Okay, I have another one too!
we're having some fun aren't we?

WHITE BACKGROUND VERSION

BLUEGREY BACKGROUND VERSION

This favicon is based on the "logo" that's been developing over in the t-shirt thread....based on the AI porthole scheme in the upper righthand side of AI.

Please add this to your voting if you like it!
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by DiscoCow
If you are referring to: only if the "AI" was white, that suggestion would be Logan Cales, not mine. Or maybe I missed something?

...oops - sorry for the confusion. Thank you Logan.
post #17 of 89
Quote:
What do you guys think of these (some of them are revise):

AI Simple with a bee and a mask()

I love your bee and mask favicon, mandolux. BTW: I used your mandolux-vidrio-ltx-01-1024.jpg background for about a year, and still swap it in from time to time.

One thing that we need to consider in choosing a favicon is how it looks both on a light background (e.g. in the menubar) and on a dark background (e.g. on a tab in Camino).

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #18 of 89
Thank you so much Escher. I've would like you to know that the favicons I'm doing are specifically intended to be used with tabs - especially Netscape 7+. Unfortunately, I can't test them with Safari right now (I don't have 10.2+), I would really appreciate if people would test them and tell me what they see - maybe a photo of the favicon in action would be sufficient.

Here is a simple test.

(I still don't know if this kind of transparency/favicons are viewable correctly in the Windows/Linux/UNIX platforms and their favicon-friendly browsers).
post #19 of 89
Stupid question but how do you even add a favicon to a site that you have created? I had never seen them before I got Safari.

art jrk

And which browsers can even view them? Platforms?
Keep the wind at your back.
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by ART JRK
[B]Stupid question but how do you even add a favicon to a site that you have created? I had never seen them before I got Safari.

Add code like this between the head tags in your HTML code:

<link rel="icon" href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

...replacing, of course, the path with your own.

Quote:
And which browsers can even view them? Platforms?

Mozilla and Netscape 7 load them properly on both Mac and Windows. Safari loads them properly. Internet Explorer6 for Windows and Chimera/Camino for Mac do NOT load them properly. Rather, they ignore the code in the HTML and just jump straight to a hard coded location ("/favicon.ico") instead.
post #21 of 89
So far I like the AI-in-porthole (the inverted one) and /mandolux/'s bee.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Add code like this between the head tags in your HTML code:

<link rel="icon" href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

...replacing, of course, the path with your own.

Mozilla and Netscape 7 load them properly on both Mac and Windows. Safari loads them properly. Internet Explorer6 for Windows and Chimera/Camino for Mac do NOT load them properly. Rather, they ignore the code in the HTML and just jump straight to a hard coded location ("/favicon.ico") instead.

Thanks

But you lost me in your last statement about IE 6.

art jrk
sorry for seeming dense.
post #23 of 89
What I meant is that IE6 and Camino ignore the tags I posted above. They ignore the custom path you give it in the HTML. Rather, they would look for a file named "favicon.ico" at the root level of the web site.

So, for example, if I had a tag on a page pointing to "http://somesite.com/brad/applestuff/images/mysiteicon.ico", it would load fine in the other browsers (such as Mozilla) that I listed.

However, if I loaded the same page in IE6 or Camino, it would never try to load that file path for the icon. Instead, it would fall into a hard-coded location "http://somesite.com/favicon.ico".

Similarly, the path I posted above for the AppleInsider site would be ignored and IE6 and Camino would instead try to find a file at "http://forums.appleinsider.com/favicon.ico".

Does that make bettter sense?
post #24 of 89
Thanks Brad

I got it to work.

art jrk
never to old to learn new tricks
post #25 of 89
<--My favorite so far, but not by much

<--cool porthole design

<--also cool porthole design (need to choose one of the two porthole designs)

<--better 3D apple then the others

<--better bee then the other one

<--good compromise-is it possible to add a porthole?

We need to nominate one design for each genre (bee, porthole, apple, plain) and then vote on the winners...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #26 of 89
...stupid question, what exactly do you mean with 'porthole'?
post #27 of 89
Okay, here's that little AI flavored apple resized properly!

post #28 of 89

I guess this favicon thing is almost over. As you can see above, AI is now using the black Apple logo.

I have a few observations: the favicon is done with both 16x16 and 32x32 icon sizes, my question is why? The favicon is 7782 bytes (8K) in size (when I saved it with just the 16x16 size, the size went to 1406 bytes (4K)). You can also see that in Netscape 7+, the icon is not viewable in the address bar. And lastly, in Apache, you can add the following in the http.conf file:

AddType image/x-icon .ico

This way, the icon will be see in the browser window as an icon.
post #29 of 89
Quote:
...stupid question, what exactly do you mean with 'porthole'?

look at the top right... see those "speed holes"? they were called "portholes" in the t-shrirt thread at the top of GD... someone suggested that since they have been around for a year or so they should be the new logo... I dono about that, but we can vote on it...

the new "AI" in the apple one (apple"insider") looks good drew, much better then the scaled image...
post #30 of 89
Mandolux, do you mean that code will make it show up in the tab? That's cool! I can't wait for the official debut of tabbed browsing in Safari.

Man, Steve Jobs would get off on introducing tabbed browsing in Safari...

Anyway, I'm about favicon-ed out today.
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
Mandolux, do you mean that code will make it show up in the tab? That's cool!

Yes. You need to call it from the document. Also, when you add that http.conf command, instead of seeing that garble stuff (text, symbols, etc.), the favicon will be shown in the browser window as an icon. If you check the favicon of my server or the one from IconFactory, you will see the icon in the browser.
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
look at the top right... see those "speed holes"? they were called "portholes" in the t-shrirt thread at the top of GD... someone suggested that since they have been around for a year or so they should be the new logo... I dono about that, but we can vote on it...

okay
post #33 of 89
me likes very much. mucho!
post #34 of 89
Thanx D.
post #35 of 89
mui mui mui mucho!

post #36 of 89
i'm pretty sure that what's up there right now is temporary
post #37 of 89
I think that drewprops's AI flavoured apple () and mandolux's AI simple with a bee and mask () are the best favicons in the running right now.

The AI porthole favicon has potential too.
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul

<--cool porthole design

I like that one, but, the white should be masked out as most (if not all) favicons are displayed in a text field, which has a white background...right?
post #39 of 89
Like this?

It's got a little halo thing going on....hmmmmmm
post #40 of 89
What about like this...

nope.
don't like it, can't read it.
hang on...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted)