or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted)

New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted) - Page 2

Poll Results: New Favicon?

• 32% (15)
    Apple with AI inside
  • 6% (3)
    3d apple
  • 19% (9)
    Bee
  • 41% (19)
    Circle AI
46 Total Votes  
post #41 of 89
maybe like this?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #42 of 89
it looks a little big.. is it 16x16?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #43 of 89
HEY!
It does look big....but I checked it...it's actually 15x16, somebody wanna triple-check me on that?

Meanwhile, this one has open portholes underneath...I think.

post #44 of 89
mandolux:
while i like the bee over ai the text seems a bit cramped
and i can't imagine trying to get portholes under it as well.

how about a hybrid

spin the bee so it's wings become the "A".
render the "I" as another wing and add portholes underneath
or make the "I" out of portholes?

nice work
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #45 of 89
Thanx for the input. But I don't like the idea of portholes because the limitations of space (and how small they would be). And BTW, I don't see it cramped at all (maybe it's just me).

post #46 of 89
yeah, that seems like it would be a kitchen sink solution....
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by /mandolux/
AI Simple with a bee and a mask()

This would have gotten my vote but it isn't an option in the poll
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
post #48 of 89
I wonder the same.
post #49 of 89
turns out i can't edit the poll once it's been posted. (not one of my forums)

keep the icons coming though, i'm sure this thread will be run again when it's a bit closer to final time.

sorry, i can edit my post, but not my poll.

keep 'em coming though.
post #50 of 89
By any chance do you have a time frame or schedule? Just wondering.
post #51 of 89
no clue, ask jon, amorph or brad.
post #52 of 89
Hey, when it finally IS time to vote I think it might be a good idea to do it in General Discussion....like they're talking about doing with the t-shirts over in Apple Outsider. You'll get a a TON more traffic there~
post #53 of 89
For my two cents, I am not a fan of the (bee+AI) one. It looks more like a foot stepping on an A with a colon or semicolon or some other dots after it. It's trying to fit too much into too small an area, IMO. It doesn't seem to represent "AppleInsider".

Also, the black Apple logo I've put on the site is a temporary fix. We don't have any set deadline for finishing/choosing the favicon.
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
HEY!
It does look big....but I checked it...it's actually 15x16, somebody wanna triple-check me on that?

Meanwhile, this one has open portholes underneath...I think.

definatly looks big but Win IE says its 16x16
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
For my two cents, I am not a fan of the (bee+AI) one. It looks more like a foot stepping on an A with a colon or semicolon or some other dots after it.

OMG - it does!!!
post #56 of 89
Hey, so if there's not a set deadline let's SET one.

How about THIS:

We say that Wednesday is our design deadline.

On Wednesday or Thursday we set up a poll in General Discussion.

We set it to run for five days.

We get a mod to set the thread to be STICKY, so it stays up top.

It's set up so you can only vote for ONE favicon (vote wisely).

The winner gets a FREE favicon!
hey, wait-a-minute.......

anyway, how does that sound?
post #57 of 89
Favicons made out of text are stupid. That's what URLs, titles, and the rest of a document/website are for, not icons!! The only respectable favicons are the ones with the unique and recognizable porthole design using the AI grey/bluegrey colors.

Also, I think that the first option is the most popular only because it is on top.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #58 of 89
...my last batch:

Apple logo with text ()
Apple logo - mask ()
Apple logo - 3D ()
Xserve Porthole ()
Bee ()
Arrows ()
A Ballon with text ()
post #59 of 89
and

AI with a bee - 1 ()
AI with a bee - 2 ()
AI with portholes ()
Spy ()
Fire ()

And of course, my version of the Apple black logo ()

post #60 of 89
Quote:
... (bee+AI) one...

That's an "AI" under the bee?!

I didnt know what the hell it was. Thanks for clarifying.

Edit:
I just saw the

Very elegant IMO.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #61 of 89
Edit:

I just quoted myself....
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #62 of 89
Twice!

I am feeling quite inept at the moment
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #63 of 89
Here is my suggestion for the icons:

We use the bee above the Ai that mandolux created for the main AI page and forum front page as well as other general pages.

But for each forum there could be a different porthole icon perhaps with a piece of hardware/software or whatever that defines that forum's topics. Of course this means someone has to make more icons!

So: that would mean 9 different porthole icons... anyone want to give it a try?
post #64 of 89
okay. I'll try it.
post #65 of 89
Quote:
okay. I'll try it.

*in my best Monty Burns voice*

Excellent
post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Retrograde
But for each forum there could be a different porthole icon perhaps with a piece of hardware/software or whatever that defines that forum's topics. Of course this means someone has to make more icons!

So: that would mean 9 different porthole icons... anyone want to give it a try?

Not gonna happen.

vB could do that, but I'd have to go and make entire separate sets of templates for every single forum. Then there's the upkeep on all of those, having to change code in a dozen places rather than one each time I need to update or modify something. Believe me when I say that that is way more trouble than it's worth.

Not a bad idea, though. It's just not feasible.
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Not gonna happen.

Yes, I see what you mean. I didn't realise it would take a big rigamarole to carry out the suggestion.... shame though.
post #68 of 89
And anyway, the current graphic look of the forums is already really, really sweet. Kudos to all involved in the look.

My own personal thought is that the Killer Bee reference is so obscure and dated as to be graphically inapplicable to AI and its future. As a historical reference it's cool, but there have been so MANY little "inside" things that have happened here since AI's been in business that picking one incident (however well publicized) seems to pin the place to one "glory" moment.

BUT, that's just my own personal opinion!

post #69 of 89
...maybe I should make a 'Dorsal' favicon.

post #70 of 89
Quote:
...maybe I should make a 'Dorsal' favicon.

Most definitely.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
My own personal thought is that the Killer Bee reference is so obscure and dated as to be graphically inapplicable to AI and its future.

WORKER Bee. Not Killer.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #72 of 89
post #73 of 89
sheesh, guess the bee was a bit more obscure than i thought.

figured every long time member at AI knew who workerbee was.

:P
post #74 of 89
I liked the Bee though because that's how it was. Some people might not get it, it's be like that Mercury Rising ( deal that I just heard the whole story about not that long ago, or like d, which.. I still... don't get . The Bee is obscure, and that's cool.
post #75 of 89
Sorry, meant to say Worker....I was talking on the phone when I was finishing that post, got distracted. Lucky I didn't start typing phone dialogue I guess. No excuse for me, I've been a member since Jan '99, that stat got wiped with the great blackout.

Anyway, obscure is okay I guess....I just prefer a cleaner look. If it's timeless then you're not living off of past glories...there goes that speech again...put a cap on that fast.

Wouldn't it be cool if favicons could be animated GIFs? Imagine the havoc THAT would create in people's browsers! They we could just put every freaking one of these icons in the GIF and let fly~
post #76 of 89
hey, i whipped up that bee in a draw program in about 5 min. i'm not exactly emotionally attached to it.

if someone would like to make a better bee, i'm all for it.

however, one suggestion i would make is that favicons (IMO) need to be clean, and obvious. if it's a bee, 99 out of 100 people should look and know it's a bee. and i'm a fan of cartoony over real, but that's just me.

in any case, a good, clean icon that everyone can look at and know what it is would be great.

if nothing else, we can just have a sticky thread someone titled "Why the hell is a favicon a bee anyway?"

if nothing else it would be a great intro into the history of AI for the newbies.

post #77 of 89
Again, Like the shirts I like all the designs.

Just a question where did the bee come from? I mean the idea, whats the relevance(sp?) with Appleinsider
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
post #78 of 89
the bee is in reference to a high point at AI, when we had hardcore insider information.

a worker at Apple was posting here at the time under the name "worker bee".

he posted all sorts of info about he cube, powerbooks etc.

eventually he got arrested, and AI made cnn and a few other news sites as the source of this leak.

for every person who's ever posted here saying they have insider info, he's the only one that was CONFIRMED:

'course, his confirmation came as a jail sentence.
post #79 of 89
and most good orchards grow better with the buzz of pollinating pals

some farmers even rent out hives of the little helpers to increase yield

imagine if Apple acknowledged the contribution of little insects like that

at least we're not wasps
post #80 of 89
...porthole galore:

Apple ()
Finder ()
Future ()
Xserve ()
iSync ()
PowerMac ()
Safari ()
Universal Access ()
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › New Favicon Poll (will add more as they're submitted)