or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Post Counts

Post Counts

post #1 of 12
Mine is wrong. It is supposed to be above 1300 I think. Sorry if this redundant.

BTW, great job with the boards.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 12
Brad explained in another thread. It has to do with incommpatiblities between VB and UBB and your deleted posts.
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #3 of 12
Right, he even announced it a long time ago. During the transition we will lost many post in our post count. For example i have lost more than 600 posts.

It will give you the chance to make an another fiesta for your 1000 th post again. Won't it be great to have the opportunities to have a 21 th birthday two times ?
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy
Brad explained in another thread. It has to do with incommpatiblities between VB and UBB and your deleted posts.

No, it has nothing to do with any "incompatibilities".

Here's how it happened.

On the old forum, when we delete one of your posts either indivdually, by a whole thread, or by a whole forum, UBB never decremented your post counter. In fact, there's no way AT ALL to re-count your posts in case the counter ever goofed. Remember SA? Remember FSC? Those forums were deleted altogether along with your posts, but the post counts were never decremented to reflect that change.

When we imported to vB, the software set your post count to the CORRECT value. In fact, vB does properly decrement post counts wen things are deleted and also has an option in the administrative control panel to re-count members' post numbers. This is a good thing!

Understand? 8)
post #5 of 12
Yeah, my bad. I remember reading that last night before bed. I just did`nt remember exactly so incompatibilities sounded like a good word.

post #6 of 12
not to nitpick, but shouldn't the number then refer to "surviving posts"?

people may have posted to threads or forums which have since died, but the fact those posts were made should not be in dispute.

words were written and submit buttons clicked to publish (in the copyright sense allowed under the PG). subsequently, those words may have been redacted by the individual who authored them, a mod or admin, or by the gremlins of UBB.

removal of a topic doesn't undo the things that were said, but it does decrease the number of remaining posts by those authors in the current cache of AI.

If somebody posts 100 topics, then later scrubs 20 of them, did those 20 discussions never exist? no. it would be more honest to say the user has made 100 posts, 80 of which are available on the current system.

now if you're saying FSC comments (or MWSF Insanity) weren't worthy of the title of "posts" in the first place, we might get more agreement, but validating participation on the boards by measuring what made the cut is a different interpretation of most counters

fyi, my post count dropped by 60+, but it's more of a principle of community participation in my mind, irregardless of whether those exchanges were ramblings, genius bar help for newbies, surveys or any other form.

plink plink.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #7 of 12
Wow, about 1000 of my posts were in SA...
post #8 of 12
i PM's jon because he had a anouncment about it....hopefully mine will go back up or perhaps it has

haha this post is actually to see cuz i havn't checked yet
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #9 of 12
Will the posts from old Temp. Insanity threads be lost after MacWolrd though? Because I noticed that I have an old link to a thread in Temp. Insanity and I can still go read all the old posts...

But it doesnt matter. Soon enough, just saying you were here for the great vB switch will prove your worth as an old timer.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
Will the posts from old Temp. Insanity threads be lost after MacWolrd though? Because I noticed that I have an old link to a thread in Temp. Insanity and I can still go read all the old posts...

But it doesnt matter. Soon enough, just saying you were here for the great vB switch will prove your worth as an old timer.

post the link? I'd like to take a look
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #11 of 12
I'm really sorry about this, but the link's all funny from the vB transfer. I've tried and tried but I can't get it to go through any more. It was the thread titled "Some info..." I also believe it was the first thread in which somebody mentioned iLife by name. I thought I had another one, but that was to the thread about how much Apple was hyping up the 2002 MacWorld for the iMac, but I don't think that thread even left Future Hardware.

Code:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000013

Edit: Changed to code tag because the URL tag shortened it
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse

Edit: Changed to code tag because the URL tag shortened it

you can leave the URL long, it wont matter... vB shortens long links so they dont mess up the formatting...

yeah i have a bunch of links to old topics that are gone as well... I just thought you could get through... guess not
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Post Counts