or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › The next .Mac : what should it have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The next .Mac : what should it have?

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Six months away from anniversary of .Mac....

What NEW features should Apple add to retain customers?
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
post #2 of 44
They need to add some form of blogging. The current interface for creating a homepage is pretty much a joke. They need another iApp that allows you to make quick, dated updates in the same colors as your calendars, so they'll automatically be marked when you updated in iCal.

I don't think the iTunes Subscription Service will have much to do with .Mac... since they want to maximize their profits on that one, they'll probably just stick with the ol' Apple ID.

Also, I think a major feature is not having the Finder come to an hour's halt when dragging more than two files to your iDisk.
post #3 of 44
More interesting designs and free games!
iSurf, iSaw and iType
Reply
iSurf, iSaw and iType
Reply
post #4 of 44
How about a lower price for renewing customers? There is no way any of .Mac costs $100/yr/user for Apple.

Blogging would be great. Apple could really make the templates look stunning.
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The current interface for creating a homepage is pretty much a joke.

Well, it is aimed at Joe Schmoe who hasn't got the first idea about how to write any HTML, and I often used it to bang out picture galleries when I can't be bothered to expend any mental effort on the process. And there's nothing to stop you creating a site in any other HTML editor and uploading it.

Quote:
Also, I think a major feature is not having the Finder come to an hour's halt when dragging more than two files to your iDisk.

Can't say mine does that: the feedback is hilariously laggy (yeah, like it's going to take another hour to upload two 40kb JPEGs), but I can get on with other work in the meantime with no problem, just as when I'm swapping files over my local network.
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
post #6 of 44
sometimes the .mac server runs a littles slow
Nano
Reply
Nano
Reply
post #7 of 44
I think Apple has to focus .Mac a bit more into a few perks and mainly services. It should gear itself more towards families, "buddy" groups, and people who want to communicate better between home and work (and mobile computing) who could take better advantage of .Mac services via the internet.

Top ten ways to improve .Mac:

10. improved Backup (with more "smart" folders, compression, etc.)
9. combine with more "personalized" AppleCare and training/support pages
8. improved public folder/file sharing service (FTP, iDisk Utility, SMB, etc.)
7. improved Homepage updating, site organization, and create-your-own template features
6. something like newgroups?
5. extra perks for the iApps: tunes, stock pictures, sounds, movie clips, etc.
4. throw in Disk Utility with some extra perks for cleaning up and administering the computer?
3. partner with someone with special Hot Deals or other types of purchasing (including third-party) discounts. More than just small game discounts. Make a "coupon book."
2. offer free previews of upcoming software releases from developers-- generate revenue from third parties this way.
1. Make OS X release of the classic Puzzle!
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Overhope
Well, it is aimed at Joe Schmoe who hasn't got the first idea about how to write any HTML, and I often used it to bang out picture galleries when I can't be bothered to expend any mental effort on the process. And there's nothing to stop you creating a site in any other HTML editor and uploading it.

I'm aware of that, but it's still no easier.The service's simplicity shouldn't translate to clunkiness. Using a web page to create a web page is a very tired trend, and Apple excels in elegance.
post #9 of 44
50 free downloads with their new music service.
||||||||||||||||||||Bioflavonoid|||||||||||||||||||| bob.scifihifi.com
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste." -Steve Jobs
My tribute to Apple: http://bob.scifihifi.com/graphics...
Reply
||||||||||||||||||||Bioflavonoid|||||||||||||||||||| bob.scifihifi.com
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste." -Steve Jobs
My tribute to Apple: http://bob.scifihifi.com/graphics...
Reply
post #10 of 44
I bet that if you want to use the Music Service, you are going to have to be a .Mac member, you will probably get 10 free songs, then you have to pay for each. And then, every once in a while, you will get to choose from "FREE GAME" or "FREE SONGS!"

or something like that


I think the Blog idea is a great one. "Blogger" only for .Mac members and it automatically updates, and it will have themes, but people can hack it and make their own CSS stuff.... y'know? It will be excellence, pure excellence..... It would allow posting from Internet and full admin from a mac
post #11 of 44
Some form of blogging would be very nice to add. Make the Homepage templates more customizable. Make the iDisk faster, and with some easy to set up, small FTP abilities. I know I can mount the iDisk on my desktop, and that's great, but I need an easier way for my PC friends to give me files other that IM transfers. The Software section of the iDisk needs a little work, a lot of people don't even use it. The only thing that's in the Extras folder in FreePlay Music, why should that be under Extra Software? Do you think they may tie this Extras folder into the possible new Music Service?
post #12 of 44
You know what would be REALLY nice, is if they had a way, maybe in Panther, to sort of have your .mac URL automatically redirect to the site you've created on your hard disk in your Home's "Sites" folder, so that you have practically unlimited hosting space. When you're not logged onto a Mac with your .mac name in that special tab in System Preferences' "Internet" section, you would have a 100MB "lite" version of your homepage, just as is the case now. The FTP / web sharing abilities in Mac OS X have up 'til this point remained untapped for consumers (and, dare I say, prosumers ), and this would breathe new life into them.

I forgot where this idea came up. I think it was MOSR, in which case, there is absolutely no hope for this, but, yeah...
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
You know what would be REALLY nice, is if they had a way, maybe in Panther, to sort of have your .mac URL automatically redirect to the site you've created on your hard disk in your Home's "Sites" folder, so that you have practically unlimited hosting space. When you're not logged onto a Mac with your .mac name in that special tab in System Preferences' "Internet" section, you would have a 100MB "lite" version of your homepage, just as is the case now. The FTP / web sharing abilities in Mac OS X have up 'til this point remained untapped for consumers (and, dare I say, prosumers ), and this would breathe new life into them.

I forgot where this idea came up. I think it was MOSR, in which case, there is absolutely no hope for this, but, yeah...

You can do that with the built in apache server in mac os x. turn it on in system prefernences. Have your html files on the idisk and in the htmlm files the acual links to files will be to your apache server.
Nano
Reply
Nano
Reply
post #14 of 44
The blogging idea sounds good. Create an app. Call it iBlog or something. You can use it to publish to your .mac account or some other webdav enabled server if you don't have .mac. It would be cool and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to implement.
post #15 of 44
Thread Starter 
Gee whiz, I mean, the Blog function is a slam DUNK for Apple. But should they hold that off for another six months or strike while the buzzword still has some heat on it and Google's yet to grab the stick.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
post #16 of 44
A free upgrade CD to any major release of OS X in the subscription period.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #17 of 44
free download of 10.3.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
A free upgrade CD to any major release of OS X in the subscription period.

No they wont ddo that, but maybe you could get a discount.
Nano
Reply
Nano
Reply
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by k_munic
free download of 10.3.

Do you have any idea how long that would take and how busy there servers would be
Nano
Reply
Nano
Reply
post #20 of 44
More bandwith/servers so that I can exceed the blazing speed of 0.001 kb/sec on my iDisc.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #21 of 44
Thread Starter 
What about a messageboard? So that your far-flung family can post and discuss the photographs and such that you keep on your .Mac website? I'd sure use it.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
post #22 of 44
The next .Mac should have virtual hosting. In other words, I want to be able to host my vanity domain on .Mac.

Mobile phone to .Mac synchronization over the air, presumably via iSync, is the other function I want to see added.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Nano
No they wont ddo that, but maybe you could get a discount.

I disagree. It's entirely possible especially if they expect me to pay $99/year for .Mac. Right now there are people who don't upgrade with every new release and don't use .Mac. This is incentive for people to pony up the $99/year for the service.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
I disagree. It's entirely possible especially if they expect me to pay $99/year for .Mac. Right now there are people who don't upgrade with every new release and don't use .Mac. This is incentive for people to pony up the $99/year for the service.

$99 is a good deal about a 27 cents a day for 100mb space and all the other feautures you get. Steve jobs said himself at the most recent macworld in sanfrancisco .mac isn't cheap to maintain so we've mad a resonable price.
Nano
Reply
Nano
Reply
post #25 of 44
.mac is a pretty terrible deal right now...so I expect to see some improvements in service reliabilty AND a discount on Panther if they want to keep my business.

Or switch to tiered pricing.

No way I'm paying TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for my wife and I this fall.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
The blogging idea sounds good. Create an app. Call it iBlog or something. You can use it to publish to your .mac account or some other webdav enabled server if you don't have .mac. It would be cool and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Umm, iBlog already exists, and it works exactly as you described. Great program. I use it to publish my blog. If you don't have a .Mac account, iBlog also works with FTP. I just hope these guys aren't Watsoned.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
What about a messageboard? So that your far-flung family can post and discuss the photographs and such that you keep on your .Mac website? I'd sure use it.

Yes, umm, this also exists. It's called Dotmac Info/. Register with the site, and you can share your photos, movies, and homepages with hundreds of other .Mac members.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Nano
$99 is a good deal about a 27 cents a day for 100mb space and all the other feautures you get. Steve jobs said himself at the most recent macworld in sanfrancisco .mac isn't cheap to maintain so we've mad a resonable price.

Don't get completely sucked in by the RDF now. $100 per user is quite a fee. It's $25M for 250,000 subscribers (not counting discounts.) .Mac is not a good deal at the moment.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #29 of 44
Haven't all of apples products been on the pricy side? compared to other competition. You should expect the price to be higher.
Nano
Reply
Nano
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Nano
Haven't all of apples products been on the pricy side? compared to other competition. You should expect the price to be higher.

Apple is quite generous with its non-hardware products.

iMovie? Free.
iTunes? Free.
iPhoto? Free.
Final Cut Express? $299.
Mac OS X? $129. Windows XP Home? $199.
Mac OS X Family Pack (5 licenses)? $199. Windows XP Home (5 licenses)? $995.
Keynote? $99. Powerpoint? You don't want to know.
AppleWorks? $79.

I expect Apple to do what it takes to get more people to stay up to date with the latest versions of Mac OS X *and* get more .Mac subscribers, because if they don't offer something substantial, I'm not going to renew.
I can change my sig again!
Reply
I can change my sig again!
Reply
post #31 of 44
It's hard to thin of much beyond some extra service-oriented features (e-mail, storage) that Aple could put in .Mac to make it more worthwhile. I think the discount "club" idea is the only other really compelling one. Most other stuff is either not strategic, part of a whole package, or else it's something that either they can sell or should give to every Macinotsh owner. I thought of a souped up Disk Utility with defragging, but it might be a bit unfair to other users(?).
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Kecksy
Umm, iBlog already exists, and it works exactly as you described. Great program. I use it to publish my blog. If you don't have a .Mac account, iBlog also works with FTP. I just hope these guys aren't Watsoned.

The interface on that bad boy sucks SO bad, it's not even funny.
post #33 of 44
I'd love to be able to view my iCal calendar online.

iDisk performance really needs to be improved. I don't know where the problems lie here -- on the web server end, within OS X, or a combination of the two -- but I've been having all sort of grief just trying to move files around -- lately I often resort to command-line copying because drag-and-drop copying fails so often.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #34 of 44
php and mysql support.

i've never used the templates.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
I'd love to be able to view my iCal calendar online.

You can post/subscribe to iCal calendars on line now. What's weird is that there's no access via the person's main Homepage. Further, you can only sync to these calendars, not create new appointments online or anything. A more robust iCal subscription service is definitely a good idea.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
You can post.subscribe to iCal calendars on line now. What's weird is that there's no access via the person's main Homepage. Further, you can only sync to these calendars, not create new appointments online or anything. A more robust iCal subscription service is definitely a good idea.

To be more clear, what I meant was a web interface for at least viewing, if not modifying, your personal calendar -- as opposed to the nice, but not all I'd hope for -- ability to post and subscribe calendars that have to be viewed through iCal itself.

It would be great to be able to check my iCal calendar here at work, on the web, from my office Windows PC.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #37 of 44
Err.. hate moving these active threads guys, I was hoping it would slide down the page... but you people keep posting in it!!!



Discussion of all things .Mac does belong in Software, as it says in the description on the front forum page:

Software talk, including OS X software, gaming, OS 9, and .Mac.

So I will just nicely, trying to not piss anyone off, quietly, with a smile on my face, nicely just nudge it into Software. Please don't yell.

post #38 of 44
Aaaargggh!

And back to the thread...

What iCal currently lets you do is publish your calandars to ical.mac.com/yourname/Calendarname.ics Just look under the Calendar menu. But this doesn't give you the ability to edit appointments and stuff online, and even stranger is that there's no built-in method of linking to this page from your .Mac Homepage. You must know the complete address, or e-mail yourself the link.
post #39 of 44
Bottom line is that Apple started charging for .Mac at least a year too early, before .Mac was worth anything. Let's hope that by September 2003 we'll be getting our money's worth.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
5. extra perks for the iApps: tunes, stock pictures, sounds, movie clips, etc.

Well, there's sounds and music clips already available. Go to your iDisk->Software->Extras->Freeplay Music. They're made for use in iMovie.

Just be prepared for dog-slow downloads.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › The next .Mac : what should it have?