or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › What PDA's are you using?

What PDA's are you using?

post #1 of 80
ok, and Fran i know you're using a Newton.

so for the rest of you folks, what PDA's do you use on a daily basis and what do you think of them?

i'm in the market for a PDA, and i'd like something that has bluetooth, and that works well with Macs. i don't follow this market very carefully though, so any advice would be appreciated.
post #2 of 80
i use a nx70v (clie)

if you want built-in bluetooth, I recommend you get the new TG-50.
http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer...G50/index.html
"look at all these wonderful toys..."
"look at all these wonderful toys..."
post #3 of 80
i still have an old IIIc, but have just bought a Sony Ericsson P800. Once the new version of isync arrives it will be *the* PDA...

Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #4 of 80
I have a Palm Pilot. Yes, it says Palm Pilot on the top. Nothing more.

Although I don't really use it; I can't get it to sync with iSync, and I don't want to spend the money for batteries. At least it was free

You can have it if you want. Maybe.
post #5 of 80
Until recently I've been using a Sony CLIE PEG S300 with Mark/Space's conduit, but when November rolled around and an OS X version of the conduit compatible with the S300 never came around, I gave it to my mom and started looking for a replacement, all the while holding out the futile hope that the next rev of the iPod would have enough features that I could use it as a Palm replacement.

Well, I've been looking and waiting for a while now, and now I'm about to buy a Palm Tungsten. If I was looking for a cheaper model without voice memo recording, I'd definitely go with a new Sony CLIE SJ22.

The Sony TG50 and Tungsten both have BlueTooth. If you prefer Graffiti, lean toward the Tungsten. If you prefer a keyboard (implemented in a way which makes Graffiti somewhat inconvenient), go with the Sony. The TG50 is thinner and the Tungsten is lighter and shorter. Neither is perfect.

Alex.
post #6 of 80
i abhor the things, but i got my wife a palm 105 (i think, it was one of the lower end ones) and she finds it useful, and i must admit that when we're on holiday i'd be lost without it.
so i think this year i'll buy a new one with more functionality. (i've been looking at sony, i haven't looked at the new palms yet)
the danger with syncing the wifes palm with your computer is enormous. (conflicts galore) work phone numbers become home numbers etc. so i only sync when i have alot of time on hand.
post #7 of 80
In my search for a perfect PDA for myself, I settled on the Clie SJ30, which is now called the SJ22. All i needed was a great display, and a fast proc. I got both. I installed a 128mb memory stick, which allows me to keep a bunch of movies and pictures on it. I also installed the BlueTooth MemoryStick module, which I found online for only $50.00 (thats more than half off) and love it. All together, with a aluminium case, I ve spent about 195.00 total. Plus, since the debut of the SJ22, you can find really great deals at BestBuy on the SJ30.

Good Luck with your search.

Note: The new Sony TG50 is a sweet package. OS5 definately rocks. If I had the wifes permission to spend a little more, I would of definately got this one.
post #8 of 80
Handspring Visor Edge here. I've enjoyed it immensely. It's got very solid construction, and can do everything I NEED it to do (keep contacts, dates, checkbook, etc.)

Hopefully when I upgrade computers, at some point I'll also upgrade PDAs.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #9 of 80
my wife uses a visor edge as well, and has been very happy with it. we bought it when they were throwing in the nice extra metal case (the one with the side hinge that opens book/cigarette-case style) for free. putting it in the cradle is more diffciult with the alternate case on, but it's better protected (and the raised dimple texture is pretty nice, too).

i have a palm iiix, but the internal battery is shot, so if the replaceable batteries get too low, bye-bye data. since it is therefore unreliable, i don't use it very much at all. at least i bought it cheap and used, so it's not a huge loss.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #10 of 80
Newton MP 2x00

Okay, so I haven't used it as steadily as I used to, but I'll get the SmartMedia adapter and wireless working RSN, I swear.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #11 of 80
Recently picked up a Handspring Visor Platinum for $95, I figured I didn't really need the super expensive PDAs and I don't, so I settled on a nice old model. I find it quite useful in organizing my to do's and notes, and having the calendar can be nifty. In fact I don't use my computer anymore for calendering or to do's (via ical) since I can take my PDA anywhere.

Don't think I will be upgrading to a better PDA any time soon.
post #12 of 80
palm m515 here. color screen. not bad.
post #13 of 80
Newton MessagePad 2100.

altough I don't use it as often as I did once...
post #14 of 80
A Palm Zire : It does what I need of it (address book, calendar, to do list) and sync with OS X.
But I think I will be soon looking for a PDA with wider screen and more memory : I am fed up with truncated names on my buddy list and I found I used more ebooks than what I originally thought. Maybe a Clié...

It's my first PDA and it got me hooked : if only I had more money (I have my TiBook getting old now...), I will go for the Tungsten.
Stephane

Fairy Machines to wreck havok
Stephane

Fairy Machines to wreck havok
post #15 of 80
I just got a Tungsten T last week. So far, so good. Bluetooth works really well.
post #16 of 80
price isn't really much of an issue for me, although my last palm broke, so i think i want something a bit sturdier this time around. i'll stop by the store and check out these suggestions. oh, and i really want to avoid winCE.

i'll post back when i've finally picked one.
post #17 of 80
I was recently using a Treo 90, but the backlight went out. Luckily, it was a 'known issue' and they're sending me a replacement... but I was gonna sell it anyway.

I decided to go the PalmOS 5 route, so I ordered a Clie TG-50. Mostly for the built-in keyboard and Bluetooth.
post #18 of 80
palm m130
palm=the best
Nano
Nano
post #19 of 80
Dell Axim (what can I say? I am a switcher!).

Better than virtually all Palm OS based fo rmuch less $$$. Caveat: does not sync with Mac without 3rd party tool.
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
post #20 of 80
I have a Psion 5MX and PocketPC, and had a Tungsten W for a while...

...But I changed all that for a P800! Woot. Can't wait for iSync to support it.
post #21 of 80
Newton MessagePad 120

This thing goes everywhere with me. I wish I could justify buying a 2100. Then I could use ethernet with it (my 120 can only use a modem). For it's age, the Newton still amazes me.
hmmm.... I need something clever here....
hmmm.... I need something clever here....
post #22 of 80
Clie N760 with 128Mb Memory Stick for my MP3s and a Targus Stowaway keyboard (this is such a cool piece of kit).

I use it instead of my TiBook for note-taking at university when I don't need to do any graphics stuff - it makes my bag so much lighter.
post #23 of 80
m505

great battery life, got it at half.com for $159 for Christmas, perfect condition, what can I say?

love it

upgraded from a palm III
post #24 of 80
iPaq 3630 running Familiar Linux 0.6 with the Opie desktop environment. Some guys have got a Mac OS X USB driver running for it, so I'm hoping for some iSync support some time soon :-)

More of a really small computer than a PDA, I've got a Stowaway for it and am just saving for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth CF cards.

I used a Palm V for a few years, great machine, but got a bit limiting near the end with what I was wanting to do. Now the iPaq takes care of the more "computing" stuff, whilst my T68i handles the PDA functionality.

I love my shiny things
post #25 of 80
Just got a Sony Clie NX60. I love the screen. Still trying to figure everything out on it. Of course not all the software is Mac compatable.
cylon
cylon
post #26 of 80
p800

the border between genius and insanity is only measured by success....
the border between genius and insanity is only measured by success....
post #27 of 80
Newton MP 2100. Does more than most new PDA's on the market. Still gets lots of attention. People wonder what in the world that "huge Palm Pilot" is. After I show them that you don't have to use graffitti in the special 1"x1" box at the bottom of the screen, but can in fact write anywhere on the screen and have good accuracy (around 90-95%) their ears perk up. Then throw in the fact that they stopped making them 6 years ago, and watch the jaws hit the floor.

I love my Newton. Just hope that when mine dies, I can still find a good used one on Ebay.
post #28 of 80
Clié NX60. To all you Newton people, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you can't come to terms with the fact that the Newton is obsolete They have support groups for you folks you know... seek help before it is too late.
post #29 of 80
Samsung i330 Phone/PDA...replaced a Kyocera 6035.
post #30 of 80
I scribble notes on random pieces of paper within arm's reach of me (or my hand if none's available).

If I'm late for a meeting, there's usually someone yelling at me to get my butt there.

If I need to buy something at the store, my wife usually reminds me what
that is.

If it's a good friend, I already know their address. If I don't know their address already, well, I probably didn't really want to visit them anyway.

If I need to stare at shiny things, I go to the local electronic store.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #31 of 80
well, i've decided on another necessity. i'm as scatterbrained as they come. i always remember to do stuff at the perfectly wrong times.

so i want a PDA that allows me to do short voice recordings. i think i'm going to head over to the Apple store near me and see what they're showcasing. interesting answers so far. no obviously clear winner.
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
well, i've decided on another necessity. i'm as scatterbrained as they come. i always remember to do stuff at the perfectly wrong times.

so i want a PDA that allows me to do short voice recordings. i think i'm going to head over to the Apple store near me and see what they're showcasing. interesting answers so far. no obviously clear winner.

I think that most of the newer ones allow you to do that now. My TT does. Granted, the program it uses isn't spectacular, but it does the job. You'll likely find only Palm/Handsprings at the Apple store. They don't have much selection. :/ I'm going to again suggest the TT. It's a powerful little machine and if you can get past the graffiti, it's the best PDA out there.
post #33 of 80
Nice to know that there are others out there agonising over a PDA just like I am. Heck, my first post to these boards was about how well Pocket PCs work with Mac! What tempts me is WiFi and the ability to edit Word docs on the go.

That's why the rumoured Palm Tungsten C sounds like it would pretty nice (if the rumors are true) with its built-in WiFi and keyboard. Though I still like the handwriting recognition on the Pocket PC, and the tap-a-letter-at-a-time-with-the-stylus keyboard is not bad for slow typists like me (which is why I haven't written off the Dell Axim...hey, it's cheap!).

Though I think I'll hold out for a while and hope that the Apple tablet rumours are true!
post #34 of 80
my problem is that there's nothing out there hardware wise that i'm exicted about getting. pretty much everything i look at has some serious drawback to it, and i feel like i'm comprimising by buying it.

i hate purchasing technology if i feel that way about it. i'll wait and see a bit longer. i'm starting to run out of room in my head to remember things though.
post #35 of 80
get a clie nz90 the HUMMER of the pda world
post #36 of 80
ok, it's down to the clie nz90 and the palm TT. i'll hit the stores tonight and see which i like better.

found the clie for only $660, which is a little more respectable than the lousy $880 they were asking for.
post #37 of 80
really! the price came down. wow i guess they figured no one would buy it at such a high price. Although, no matter what PDA you get i recommend getting it from a place that has a good return policy incase you get a dead pixel(s). No offense to TT users but imo the TT is nothing compared to the nz90, unless size is a concern.
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
really! the price came down. wow i guess they figured no one would buy it at such a high price. Although, no matter what PDA you get i recommend getting it from a place that has a good return policy incase you get a dead pixel(s). No offense to TT users but imo the TT is nothing compared to the nz90, unless size is a concern.

None taken. I think these things are for different markets, really. The TT is nice and small which is perfect for what I need. I have a digicam and an mp3 player. It's just too big for me. And the cost!! Wow, that sony is about the price of an iBook. Too much, IMHO. Anyway, both models appear to be good ones.
But, damn, those clies are nice....
post #39 of 80
yea totally it depends on your needs. I just think palm could at least make one model that is feature rich in the multimedia dept. i would much rather buy from palm mostly cuz of their mac friendliness, but they just dont have what i'm looking for..
post #40 of 80
i think i'll pocket test 'em here soon. i was really digging how small the palm was, need to find a clie on display now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › What PDA's are you using?