or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post your 970 Tower mock ups
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post your 970 Tower mock ups

post #1 of 216
Thread Starter 
Industrial design.

Black cooling vents go all around the front, top, and back crowding a thin aluminum strip going down the center. Both elements are sandwiched between aluminum side panels.

Cut outs for CD/DVD trays instead of flapping doors.

Both sides flip down to reveal innards. Instead of an obvious latch you disengage, you simply slide the aluminum side panel foward about a centimeter and then fold down. The right side folds down to expose the motherboard, CPU, RAM and PCI expansion while the left side folds down to expose the vertical hard drive bays, 4 in total. The 2 CD bays have access to the mounting screws from both panels.

Here are the pics.







post #2 of 216
that reminds me a bit of a PS2...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Reply
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Reply
post #3 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
that reminds me a bit of a PS2...

I was thinking more along the lines of older IBM workstations like the M-Pro.
post #4 of 216
I have an idea...

And you thought that big heat sink and huge noisy fans were for the G4s ha!


A@ron
post #5 of 216
Pretty cool but I have a feeling that case would get so hot you can bake a cake!

Wheres the ventilation?
post #6 of 216
I thought that the 970 was supposed to run cooler that the G4.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #7 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
Pretty cool but I have a feeling that case would get so hot you can bake a cake!

Wheres the ventilation?

The black fins hide the vents for heat exhaust.
post #8 of 216
I think that industrial design mockup looks like ass...no offense. If it makes you feel any better...it looks like *my* ass which is decent looking but still looks like, well, ass.
post #9 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
I think that industrial design mockup looks like ass...no offense. If it makes you feel any better...it looks like *my* ass which is decent looking but still looks like, well, ass.

Well since you're working on plastics now lets have a sneak peak.
post #10 of 216
Man, and I thought of the PS 2 as ugly...this thing looks like a room heater. Ugggggllly! There was an extremely good mockup on www.theapplecollection.com . It's the one with the 23" cinema. It's swathed in stainless steel, and looks very sexy, like the xServe.
post #11 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
this thing looks like a room heater.

what's wrong with that? the box is probably going to work very well as a room heater too
post #12 of 216
Thread Starter 


Exactly. It should be functional AND multi-tasking!
post #13 of 216
Damn if you don't like then just simply say, 'nope, I don't like it'. You don't have to compare it to your mom or to your girlfriend and how nasty skanks they are. Just say you don't like, no need for family references and nasty name calling.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #14 of 216
Hmmm not bad Outsider. Looks like Rotel Mac
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Hmmm not bad Outsider. Looks like Rotel Mac

Thanks. Somehow it looks better in Illustrator but what am i gunna do?

Anyone else have a mocke up they'de like to share? Pscates? Michaelm?
post #16 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud
what's wrong with that? the box is probably going to work very well as a room heater too

My room consists of two PowerMac G4s, a 21" and 16" Apple Studio Display, a PowerBook G4, a few FireWire drives, an external CD-RW drive and a Phaser 850 and it always stays pretty warm in here!

With the addition of something like that pictured above...it would be to hot! 8)
post #17 of 216
The G5 Paraisio on The Apple Collection looks nice...along with the other one with white sides.
post #18 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
My room consists of two PowerMac G4s, a 21" and 16" Apple Studio Display, a PowerBook G4, a few FireWire drives, an external CD-RW drive and a Phaser 850 and it always stays pretty warm in here!

With the addition of something like that pictured above...it would be to hot! 8)

When I keep the mac turned on overnight, I always know I'm not going to freeze to death when I get up It's pleasant... oh btw. the MDD also makes this huge noise, not too unlike the relaxing noise that makes me go to sleep so easily on the bus. It's a damned practical friend to have on the room

oops, this is very, very offtopic.
post #19 of 216
Looks alot like a Mark Levinson 33H mono power amplifier to me, which I think is an attractive design. At only $20,000 each, I'll bet Steve's got a few of these in his system!
post #20 of 216
Correction - the 33H goes for $10,000 each, but if you've got the cash the higher powered 33 goes for a bit under $20,000 per....
post #21 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
Well since you're working on plastics now lets have a sneak peak.

You just want a look at his ass

Actually, you mockup looks pretty nice. I think it's too far a departure from Apple's newest ID direction, but it looks like a nice case anyway. But where are the handles..I gotta have my handles.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #22 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
You just want a look at his ass

Actually, you mockup looks pretty nice. I think it's too far a departure from Apple's newest ID direction, but it looks like a nice case anyway. But where are the handles..I gotta have my handles.

Eh, i figured Apple released a new iMac, and eliminated the handle. Ditto the iBook. Next major redesign I think apple will let go of the handles on the PowerMac too.
post #23 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
Eh, i figured Apple released a new iMac, and eliminated the handle. Ditto the iBook. Next major redesign I think apple will let go of the handles on the PowerMac too.

The current iMac doesn't need a handle. It has a neck
post #24 of 216
Too square and boxy. You have to add some curves to that design. Colors aren't bad.
post #25 of 216
I think it looks cool, good job. A little too sony but cool. And for all you people yelling about about how ugly it is, why dont you go make your own version instead of talking nonsence, after all that was the point of the thread: post your mockup.
post #26 of 216
Actually it looks like an amplifier!, kinf of Krell like.
post #27 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonard
Too square and boxy. You have to add some curves to that design. Colors aren't bad.

Thanks for the input, but I was going for a titanium powerbook-esque design. Boxy with little rounded corners. B&O inspired too.
post #28 of 216
This ought to be pretty close. Maybe a different monitor, hey?
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
post #29 of 216
Here is my prototype design! It is a bit different.

link1
http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22011

link2

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=1&thecat=500


Cheers,

Gary Haus
post #30 of 216
Hey Gary, that is so coool!, I'd love if the next Powermac looked like that.
You should submit it to Apple.
post #31 of 216
I think we're looking at a very thin CPU, less bulky then the current PowerMac.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Reply
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Reply
post #32 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
Well since you're working on plastics now lets have a sneak peak.

...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #33 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
Thanks for the input, but I was going for a titanium powerbook-esque design. Boxy with little rounded corners. B&O inspired too.

Not bad really, but it seems the ports are dead center in the middle of the box. What is the system board mounted to? Wouldn't that kind of waste internal space for optical and hard disc drives?

I like the looks though.

Just started reading this topic, so I will do a mockup and post later.

Cheers all.
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #34 of 216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Not bad really, but it seems the ports are dead center in the middle of the box. What is the system board mounted to? Wouldn't that kind of waste internal space for optical and hard disc drives?

I like the looks though.

Just started reading this topic, so I will do a mockup and post later.

Cheers all.

The HD's actually mount under the mobo in a cage that holds 4 of them vertically. That's why the sides open both ways, so you have access to both sides of the motherboard. This also allows you to put the IDE ports on the bottom of the motherboard.
post #35 of 216
...alright, here is my consumer micro tower mock-up. It has one slot loading optical, room for two hard drives and room for 1 PCI slot and one AGP slot. Its based on a pic of the Xserve, but I widened it a bit to allow the motherboard to be mounted below the HDs to save depth. The unit could lay flat and slide under an LCD, or stand up with the included "foot."

Its piss poor photchopping, but its the best I can do.

post #36 of 216
The only thing really is that putting the optical drive vertically makes it run slower, and Apple knows this. I've heard it mentioned in some keynote about something... or maybe I've heard it referenced here somewhere.
post #37 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
The HD's actually mount under the mobo in a cage that holds 4 of them vertically. That's why the sides open both ways, so you have access to both sides of the motherboard. This also allows you to put the IDE ports on the bottom of the motherboard.

Under? What do the card slots you show on back plug into? I am confused. I guess I would rather see the board against side of the case, the way el-capitan does now. Let's face it, Apple made one kick-arse case when they designed that.

I cannot tell you how many times people look at it and question the handles, but honestly, even though I don't move mine too much, it has saved my back more than once. And the flip down sides and ease of access is a wintel-designers wet dream.
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #38 of 216
Yes....I know I'VE GOT this huge data path in my brain and I can't get it out.

The reason why 'a CD-ROM drive runs slower when vertically mounted' was first emitted by Apple when it introed the 20th anniversary mac.

The way they decided to mount the Drive was with a door that merely covered the spinning disc, not much grip-factor was added by closing the door, thus the disc got most of it's grip from the spindle. How "everyday-run-of-the-muck" drives run is when you inject a CD, the drive clamps down from the top and the bottom of the disc so as to have a better grip on the disc at all times.

Note: better technologies for top-loading CD drives can now be found in portable CD-audio sets like the Sony Discman, where there is no 'upper grip. on the door.'

A vertically mounted drive like the one in the picture would work just fine, because it is still a slot-loading drive.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
Reply
post #39 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by mooseman
...alright, here is my consumer micro tower mock-up. It has one slot loading optical, room for two hard drives and room for 1 PCI slot and one AGP slot. Its based on a pic of the Xserve, but I widened it a bit to allow the motherboard to be mounted below the HDs to save depth. The unit could lay flat and slide under an LCD, or stand up with the included "foot."

Its piss poor photchopping, but its the best I can do.


I dunno man, that's kinda too tall and skinny. That's like a PS2 on steroids and the foot would have to be massive. Also, I never liked the 'desktop' approach, I've always preferred the 'tower' better.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #40 of 216
how's a 12" aluminum cube sound?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post your 970 Tower mock ups