or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Post your 970 Tower mock ups - Page 3

post #81 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Whisper
Cool. Will a CDROM drive work if it's submerged in the stuff? And perhaps more importantly, does it look like water?

It does look like water. The solid state components of a computer don't care about whether the environment is gas or liquid, as long as it is non-corrosive and non-(electrically)-conductive.

But the HD and CD drives are not solid state, and not designed for the increased resistance to their mechanisims. I would be very surprised if any worked. Be thankful you own a Mac with FireWire booting.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #82 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto
It does look like water. The solid state components of a computer don't care about whether the environment is gas or liquid, as long as it is non-corrosive and non-(electrically)-conductive.

But the HD and CD drives are not solid state, and not designed for the increased resistance to their mechanisims. I would be very surprised if any worked. Be thankful you own a Mac with FireWire booting.

Barto

The HD is sealed, isn't it? I just wanna put my comp in a bucket of the stuff and then tell my shocked friends that it was dirty and I wanted to clean it
post #83 of 216
It's a myth that Hard Drives are sealed. They are in fact not.

Barto

post #84 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto
It's a myth that Hard Drives are sealed. They are in fact not.

Barto

Well nuts. There goes that idea
post #85 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Whisper
Well nuts. There goes that idea

Take a hard drive, insert the cables and set the jumpers. Then go out and buy a bucket of Polyester. Put some duct tape over the seals and bolt holes. Then just dip the drive into the polyester and let it dry. Repeat this a few times. You'll soon have yourself a watertight disk.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #86 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
Take a hard drive, insert the cables and set the jumpers. Then go out and buy a bucket of Polyester. Put some duct tape over the seals and bolt holes. Then just dip the drive into the polyester and let it dry. Repeat this a few times. You'll soon have yourself a watertight disk.

lol, I'm not that desperate
post #87 of 216
Here is my poor excuse for a mockup, done in Illustrator. Let the bashing commence. There are two firewire ports on the fronside of the tower. It has a hot swoppable harddrive and two full size bays for additional drives on the front. It is aluminum housed in a lucite shell. There is an airport extreme antenna in the handle. The innards are whatever you imagine.

http://homepage.mac.com/chilley/
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
post #88 of 216
Quote:

Or, take a hard drive, do all the other stuff then shove it in a condom and make sure the knot's real tight. Lots quicker (actual time is dependent on how good you are with condoms ).

Oh, and hard drives aren't sealed up watertight, but they are usually dustproof: that's what the little stickers saying "don't remove this if you want to live" do. I know this because I have taken lots off...

Oh, and chilleymac... no. Too many MDD/El Capitan carryover features to justify making a change (though top marks for ditching those front bullet-holes), and that huge-ass handle makes it look totally lopsided: every Ive Mac has been symmetrical in overall form, with only irritating things like I/O ports and power keys spoiling the effect...
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
post #89 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
It's a computer bathed in oil for cooling. Over time, most oils will cause fiberglass and other weak plastics to break-down though.

Actually, you could just use water. Contrary to popular opinion H20 is not conductive. Unless of course, you dope it with salts or other impurities.
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #90 of 216
That stuff cost like 60 dollars a gallon.

Have fun pissing ur money away for stupid tricks.

Its for hardcore overclockers who can aford to burn cpus
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #91 of 216

This one is still my favorite, and by far the sweetist computer case I've ever seen. I may even try to build one someday

The next one seems more like something along the lines of what we might see from apple.

but it lacks that excellence of Apple design team feel. Unlike the one above.

onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #92 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker

This one is still my favorite, and by far the sweetist computer case I've ever seen. I may even try to build one someday

Damn, thats one sweet box!

A bit too extreme for Apple though.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #93 of 216
Quote:
[img]

I think/hope for something along these lines, not as angular and not all the same chrome. I think more brushed metal or alumninum then the chrome finish which will finger print up all to hell.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #94 of 216
I think both of the above are nasty, especially the big transparent 'X'.

They are not at all Ive-Like
post #95 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown
Actually, you could just use water. Contrary to popular opinion H20 is not conductive. Unless of course, you dope it with salts or other impurities.

Does that look like pure water to you?

The Fluorinert idea is interesting, though expensive and evaporates quickly. The military did experiments with breathing oxygenated Fluorinert for deeeeeeeeeeep diving, IIRC. Think the pink stuff from Abyss.
I can change my sig again!
post #96 of 216
Wheee, on a more positive note, this provides some info:

"Page 1
3M
TM
Fluorinert
TM
liquids are a family of clear, colorless, odorless, inert per-fluorinated fluids having a viscosity similar to water but approximately 75%
greater density. These non-flammable liquids have set the standard in the electronics industry for 40 years, meeting the demanding and diverse requirements of many heat transfer, manufacturing and testing applications. Fluorinert liquids are thermally and chemically stable, compatible with sensitive materials, including metals, plastics and elastomers, and are practically non-toxic.
Fluorinert liquids are completely fluorinated, containing no chlorine or
hydrogen atoms. The strength of the carbon-fluorine bond contributes to their extreme stability and inertness. This chemical structure also results in very low intermolecular forces, low surface tension and essentially no solvent action on non-fluorinated compounds.
The dielectric strength of perfluorinated liquids is high-in excess of 35,000 volts across a 0.1 inch gap. Water solubility is on the order of a few parts per million. The nominal boiling point of each fluid in this series is determined during their manufacture. Fluorinert liquids are available with boiling points ranging from 30ºC to 215ºC and pour points as low as -101ºC."

I don't see it happening, but a clear case filled with this stuff, but (obviously) showing the machine's guts would be kinda cool IMHO.
post #97 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by jouster
Wheee, on a more positive note, this provides some info:

"Page 1
3M
TM
Fluorinert
TM
liquids are a family of clear, colorless, odorless, inert per-fluorinated fluids having a viscosity similar to water but approximately 75%
greater density. These non-flammable liquids have set the standard in the electronics industry for 40 years, meeting the demanding and diverse requirements of many heat transfer, manufacturing and testing applications. Fluorinert liquids are thermally and chemically stable, compatible with sensitive materials, including metals, plastics and elastomers, and are practically non-toxic.
Fluorinert liquids are completely fluorinated, containing no chlorine or
hydrogen atoms. The strength of the carbon-fluorine bond contributes to their extreme stability and inertness. This chemical structure also results in very low intermolecular forces, low surface tension and essentially no solvent action on non-fluorinated compounds.
The dielectric strength of perfluorinated liquids is high-in excess of 35,000 volts across a 0.1 inch gap. Water solubility is on the order of a few parts per million. The nominal boiling point of each fluid in this series is determined during their manufacture. Fluorinert liquids are available with boiling points ranging from 30ºC to 215ºC and pour points as low as -101ºC."

I don't see it happening, but a clear case filled with this stuff, but (obviously) showing the machine's guts would be kinda cool IMHO.

I've got to say, I don't see that happening. I actually test this stuff. Well, maybe not that exact stuff, I'm not entirely sure, but stuff like it. At any rate, there would be two reasons. One, if you had a leak in your case, flourinated chemicals do NOT have a pleasant odor. Two, as is written up there, they are much denser than water. A case with a bunch of water would be heavy enough, let alone something that is practically twice as dense.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #98 of 216
The quote says Fluorinert is odorless...
post #99 of 216
Quote:
The quote says Fluorinert is odorless...

Woops, sorry! Not reading carefully enough.......
At any rate, the stuff would still be way to heavy.
post #100 of 216
As I said, I doubt it'll happen - in fact as the 970s (assuming they are used) seem to run quite cool by all accounts, I doubt there's a need for it.

I would argue though that making the cases leak proof would be a trivial problem, especially as not all of the innards would need to be liquid coled anyway.

But it'd still be cool
post #101 of 216
NM

post #102 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
Woops, sorry! Not reading carefully enough.......
At any rate, the stuff would still be way to heavy.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but Fluorinert wasn't really brought up for serious consideration. A) You need a Fluorinert bath for it to dissipate heat effectively, or you need some kind of secondary cooling. The set-up also needs to be sealed since the stuff evaporates rather quickly.

Heft is a non-issue as a result.
post #103 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by jouster
I think both of the above are nasty, especially the big transparent 'X'.

They are not at all Ive-Like

I think nasty is a bit harsh. I don' think Apple is going to release boxes that are as "in your face" as those two, but they have potential. The al one would look nicer if it were not as chrome and was a bit more rounded in the edges. The X would look nicer with more of a silvery look and with the X a little toned down. They are nice concepts though.

But hey, maybe Ive will take us completely by suprise like he did with the "new" iMac.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #104 of 216
Anyone remember these?

-=:[T]:=-
-=:[T]:=-
post #105 of 216
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Th0r
[B]Anyone remember these?

I DO! That micraphone that was supposed to be real. Wasn't that an April fools joke?

{EDIT} Removed picture so pages would load faster.
onlooker

onlooker

post #106 of 216
Quote:
I DO! That micraphone that was supposed to be real. Wasn't that an April fools joke?

I think it was a custom built overclocked water cooled PowerMac from a company in Finland. Apple killed the project though
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #107 of 216
Quote:
I think it was a custom built overclocked water cooled PowerMac from a company in Finland. Apple killed the project though

Yeah! Right. Like anyone is going to believe that. But I guess you did.? That's a Photoshop mochup of an old Sure Micraphone. That thing never existed.
onlooker

onlooker

post #108 of 216
Quote:
Yeah! Right. Like anyone is going to believe that. But I guess you did.? That's a Photoshop mochup of an old Sure Micraphone. That thing never existed.

Ok. I may be wrong about that picture, but wasn't it some company a couple o' years ago that had taken the PowerMacs and rebuilt them with som sort of "cool"-ing tech?
Think it was introduced at some event in Helsinki Finland on the first of April 2001
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #109 of 216
For those curious, the Shure microphone is here. They still offer it for sale.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #110 of 216
Yeah, they were called Xtrem. Their website used to be www.xtrem.com. At some point they were actually shipping a $30 jumper block for overclocking. I don't know if the Xtrem mac was a hoax or an overly ambitious plan or if Apple killed it but it certainly never saw the light of day.
post #111 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by griel_del_noche
Yeah, they were called Xtrem. Their website used to be www.xtrem.com. At some point they were actually shipping a $30 jumper block for overclocking. I don't know if the Xtrem mac was a hoax or an overly ambitious plan or if Apple killed it but it certainly never saw the light of day.

Thanks man!
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #112 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by Th0r
Anyone remember these?

I can just see someone pulling up in their Chrysler Limited Edition and unloading one of those.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #113 of 216
Skip, those picture links arent' loading...
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #114 of 216
Quote:
I don't know if you're joking or not, but Fluorinert wasn't really brought up for serious consideration. A) You need a Fluorinert bath for it to dissipate heat effectively, or you need some kind of secondary cooling. The set-up also needs to be sealed since the stuff evaporates rather quickly.

Heft is a non-issue as a result.

No, I wasn't being serious, just pointing to an obvious problem. I should just leave "wild speculation land" alone........
post #115 of 216
Nevertheless I am still convinced it was a big load of ____.
onlooker

onlooker

post #116 of 216
Quote:

Umm, last i checked polyester was a synthetic fabric, perhaps you meant Polyurethane?
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

post #117 of 216
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderPoit
Umm, last i checked polyester was a synthetic fabric, perhaps you meant Polyurethane?

Polyurethan is often a part of a polyester. The name polyester is used on many different polymers where monomers are connected with an ester.
Polyester is used reinforced with glass fibres i plastic boats f.x. There are also many other uses for polyesters including textiles fx fleece jackets.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #118 of 216
whoops, guess thats why i never did well in chemestry

post #119 of 216
Those xtrem machines were nice... it was during 2000 or 2001, right? The fastest chip at that time was still <500Mhz G4. Their CRT display looked mediocre anyway.

post #120 of 216
For a thread supposed to be about Mock-Ups, it sure is lacking in Mock-Ups.

w
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post your 970 Tower mock ups