or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › two problems.. installation and AVI playback..

two problems.. installation and AVI playback..

post #1 of 20
first of all, the more important problem.. i can not install any apple software.. not the safari beta, not the 10.2.4 update.. programs always quit unexpectedly.. also, applies to the apple software update.. i've tried re-installing jaguar, same thing..

i fear wiping the drive is the only solution, but i don't want to have to do that..

the other problem is i can not play AVI's.. it always says something along the lines of needing to d/l software from the apple site, and then comes back and says no software found..
post #2 of 20
I think the AVI problem is a little less serious then not being able to install programs...maybe you should concentrate on that
what version of X are you running? maybe I can send you my installer app and that will fix the problem, post the version # of your installer app as well as I am running 10.2.4 and it could have been updated since...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #3 of 20
atm, i'm running 10.2.3..

have been tryng to install 10.2.4 to no avail.. have tried reinstalling 10.2.3, and original jaguar, nothing!

grr..
post #4 of 20
like i said your installer app might be hosed
check the version # of the installer app and software update while you are at it as well
I'll send them both to you and maybe that will fix it
post #5 of 20
Also the regular troubleshooting procedures should apply:
repair permissions (disk utility)
run FSCK (from single user mode) until file system isnt modified...
delete caches (in the library/caches folder)
repair permissions again
post #6 of 20
The AVI problem is usually because the file was made using a codec that some media players have/use, but quicktime doesn't. I usually just avoid AVI's all together, mostly because of this problem. I know a lot of people here use a program named VLC to view DivX and AVI's and other files that QuickTime doesn't support, you can get it at VersionTracker.com. I used it for a while and came to the conclusion that it is a piece of crap, but everybody I have every talked to about it said it worked fine for them.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Also the regular troubleshooting procedures should apply:
repair permissions (disk utility)
run FSCK (from single user mode) until file system isnt modified...
delete caches (in the library/caches folder)
repair permissions again

okay, i repaired the permissions, however my ignorance has prevented me from going further.. FSCK?
post #8 of 20
ok this is going to get a bit technical...
FSCK takes place befor login
you need to boot from single user mode...
reboot your computer and hold down command S
you will boot into a command line... after everything loads type in "/sbin/fsck -y" and it will check the filesystem
after this is done it will either say "file system was modified" (in which case an error was fixed and you should run the test again, just type in /sbin/fsck -y again) if there are no errors found you should see something alond the lines of: "the test was completed succesfully" and you should type "reboot" to reboot the computer...

not THAT complicated, but can be overbearing the first time
the commands will be on the screen (just read the code) so don't worry too much

if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask...

you should do this after each os upgrade and also for preventitive maintnence every time you restart your computer...
post #9 of 20
what computer do you have?
post #10 of 20
G4 350 AGP..
post #11 of 20
installer version 1.3.2

software update version 1.5.1
post #12 of 20
ok, its the same as me, do you have AIM? did you do FSCK yet?
post #13 of 20
don't have AIM, have FSCK'd..
post #14 of 20
ok gimme a sec, I'll throw them up on my iDisk
did you repair permissions after deleting the cache files?
post #15 of 20
have done..
post #16 of 20
http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/FileSharing10.html

in the folder apps, hope it works
good luck
post #17 of 20
yeee ha..

thanks paul for all your help, but at the end of the day, i managed to solve it myself.. finally..

i'm now running 10.2.. after reinstalling it over the old system.. now i just have to go through the updates one by one..
post #18 of 20
actually WHOOPS! forgot about the combo update!
post #19 of 20
BTW, Disk Utility's 'Repair Volume' uses fsck to do its work. The only reason you'd have to resort to single-user boot mode is to perform fsck on the boot drive, assuming you don't have another boot volume or CD to do so.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
BTW, Disk Utility's 'Repair Volume' uses fsck to do its work. The only reason you'd have to resort to single-user boot mode is to perform fsck on the boot drive, assuming you don't have another boot volume or CD to do so.

hmmm good to know...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › two problems.. installation and AVI playback..