or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Next Safari Public Beta

Next Safari Public Beta

post #1 of 35
Does anyone know when the next public version of Safari is going to be released? I would really like the use of tabbed browsing and auto-fill.
Macaddict16
post #2 of 35
Does anyone have an idea? How about when the other versions of safari have come out? Are we talking near future (days to week) or more?
post #3 of 35
This Spymac thread says Safari v71 was just posted for ADC members. Any truth to this??!?

-----------
RosettaStoned
post #4 of 35
Wasn't the seed program killed?
post #5 of 35
I saw the download page, but none of the links worked. The download page is now gone (at least temporarily).
post #6 of 35
Safari v69 and v71 are both here. v71 is now 'beta 2'
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by RosettaStoned
Safari v71 was just posted for ADC members. Any truth to this??!?

Yes, links for v71 were posted for ADC members, but the links did not actually work. They 404'd on the servers.
post #8 of 35
They should release a new beta, Safari currently doesn't work with AIM Express for example.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #9 of 35
71 = fast fast fast fast fast.
post #10 of 35
I'm not noticing any significant speed improvements, but I am noticing more stability. v.67 would crash on me often, especially handling Java and Flash. No problems with v.71. I like the new "Reset Safari" option.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the bookmarks list seems snappier, especially bringing up subfolders. Also of interest is the "Beta 2" moniker in the About box.

Still some cookie issues, and some CSS issues, but good stability.

Strong like bull.

---------------
RosettaStoned
post #11 of 35
I had a little accident with the time and date preference pane on my mac, I unknowingly set the date to December of 2003. When I tried to launch Safari, I got a dialogue telling me that the beta expired on June 30. So I guess we will for sure have something by then. Are there any trade shows close to that date where Apple might release a "for real" version of Safari, or is this just an arbitrary date, giving developers time to work out bugs and release a new beta?
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva
I had a little accident with the time and date preference pane on my mac, I unknowingly set the date to December of 2003. When I tried to launch Safari, I got a dialogue telling me that the beta expired on June 30. So I guess we will for sure have something by then. Are there any trade shows close to that date where Apple might release a "for real" version of Safari, or is this just an arbitrary date, giving developers time to work out bugs and release a new beta?

*cough* WWDC *cough*
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by RosettaStoned
This Spymac thread says Safari v71 was just posted for ADC members. Any truth to this??!?

-----------
RosettaStoned

Yes there is truth to it, as I have seen it first hand. Secondly, the mass beta test program has been killed but some select ADC members still have access to the seeds; at least that is my understanding.

A@ron
post #14 of 35
dang v.71???

i was really hoping apple would release v.69 just for shits and giggles

anyways...i've been using camino after trying v.64 and disliking it....told myself i would try safari again at v.8

though if v.71 arrived at my doorstep i might find it hard to resist...

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #15 of 35
I got v71 from somewhere... I think a little elf I found under a rock gave it to me...

I encountered two bugs though, quite quickly. One is that when I had about five or six tabs open, and I chose to close one, I got the beachball of death and I had to force quit. The other one is that for some reason, after I had closed all windows, I couldn't make a new window, I had to quit the application and then start it again. Strangely, after going back to v60, it had moved my bookmarks into two plain folders called "BookmarkBar" and "BookmarkMenu." I had to move them back to get my old setup back. Finally, in v71 when you have two tabs open and you close one, it attempts to animate the disappearance of the tab bar but apparently it's not done very well because it always lags when it disappears. Maybe I'm just seeing things. Anyway, I've gone back to v60 but I'm keeping the stuffed v71 around just in case I wanna try it again. v60 is definitely more bug-free than v71. I'm guessing they'll release another one in like 4-6 weeks, maybe around v76-80. I really have no idea though, that's just idle speculation on my part.
post #16 of 35
v71 seems to be a fair bit faster for me plus it doesnt have a silly tab/losing the correct thread thing in bb that 64 & 67 had.
post #17 of 35
it's a bit faster..... yeah
iMac Newbie and now with an ibook G4 1.2G too
iMac Newbie and now with an ibook G4 1.2G too
post #18 of 35
v71 looks like shit in aqua They made the rollovers for the bookmark menu turn white, and they almost dissapear in aqua

I guess its back to bnushed metal for me
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #19 of 35
Safari looks so much better in Aqua to me, it is the most unobtrusive browser interace I've ever seen. Kudos to Apple, and Aqua interface should be an easier option. I hope they keep it lookin good in Aqua.
post #20 of 35
Another thing I noticed. hit any key and Safari beeps. Why? This is dumb and annoying and needs to go.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Another thing I noticed. hit any key and Safari beeps. Why? This is dumb and annoying and needs to go.

Is the beeping in v60? I don't hear it, but if it is in any build higher don't complain because those builds are not supposed to be in your hands until Apple releases it.
post #22 of 35
v.71 correctly displays AppleInsider's font.
post #23 of 35
I don't use beta software unless it's publicly released.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic

Same here.
post #25 of 35
At first, Safari ran like a dream on my iBook, then it suddenly became quite slow, often grinding to a halt with the dreaded beachball. Cleared the cache - even the cookies.

I guess something was tweaked the wrong way in one of the updates.

Bah, my iBook is cursed. The people at Flextronics are probably laughing at it right now - or performing an exorcism.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by DoctorGonzo
At first, Safari ran like a dream on my iBook, then it suddenly became quite slow, often grinding to a halt with the dreaded beachball. Cleared the cache - even the cookies.

I guess something was tweaked the wrong way in one of the updates.

Bah, my iBook is cursed. The people at Flextronics are probably laughing at it right now - or performing an exorcism.

I could be wrong but Safari v71 seems to start hogging the CPU in some instances. I don't know in what particular instance, but I remember this morning realizing that everything on my computer was slow...starting with the screensaver...so I ran top and saw that Safari was using 160ish% CPU (on a dual 800).

Use v71 with caution.
post #27 of 35
Our own entry site says a new Public Beta is due soon. I can hardly wait... (please please please be tuesday....)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #28 of 35
Quote:

To make it worse, Apple already killed the seed program to most developers. They are going to be pissed when they find out most of the people on AI have it again..

Personally I don`t tend to use beta software unless its released either - besides when the full thing is released you go "god damn" instead of well this is a *little* better
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #29 of 35
Just a note: v60 is displayed as version number "0.8.2" while v71 is "0.9." And it took about two months to get there. All that points to a 1.0 release (v80 or thereabouts) in another two months - WWDC.
post #30 of 35
Downloading Safari Update 1.0 Beta 2 (v73) now via Software Update!
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by R2K2
Downloading Safari Update 1.0 Beta 2 (v73) now via Software Update!

Yep it's also available via their web site: http://www.apple.com/safari/

I've been playing with 73 and boy is it nice!!

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #32 of 35
autofill is now done through preference panel, with an on/off for
user names / passwords....nice
post #33 of 35
Tabs! (wheeee!) Tabs!

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #34 of 35
OMG was i wrong or what

this is awesome tho, i hope they fixed the occasional beachball of death when closing a tab.
post #35 of 35
I just noticed the coolest thing, if you have a folder, which pulls down on the Bookmarks Bar, it has the option at the bottom to open all the websites in tabs.
God this is awesome!
1.5Ghz, 15" PB, 768, Combo, LaCie DL, 3Gen 15 GB iPod.
1.5Ghz, 15" PB, 768, Combo, LaCie DL, 3Gen 15 GB iPod.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Next Safari Public Beta