or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Newbie help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie help!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I'm on my third day of my new powerbook, which is my first mac. I've been using them at work for a while now so I'm familiar with them to a certaqin extent, but I've gone and done something rather stupid, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I was downloading a file, and I got disconnected, so on my desktop there is a 500kb uncompleted download. Now, for some reason I can't get rid of it. When I drag it into the trashcan I'm told that its being used with another task. I've tried everything I know, and a few friends have given it a go. Its really starting to annoy me now, sitting on the desktop like a smug unwanted uncle

help would be really, REALLY appreciated. Thanks
Gary
post #2 of 11
You would have to use the "Terminal" to delete the file if it is giving you that much of a hard time.
Launch Terminal and type: <cd .Trash> then type <is> and <sudo rm -R {name of file/directory to delete}>

Hope this helps out.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmpringles
Hi,

I'm on my third day of my new powerbook, which is my first mac. I've been using them at work for a while now so I'm familiar with them to a certaqin extent, but I've gone and done something rather stupid, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I was downloading a file, and I got disconnected, so on my desktop there is a 500kb uncompleted download. Now, for some reason I can't get rid of it. When I drag it into the trashcan I'm told that its being used with another task. I've tried everything I know, and a few friends have given it a go. Its really starting to annoy me now, sitting on the desktop like a smug unwanted uncle

help would be really, REALLY appreciated. Thanks
Gary

You might have to restart before you can delete it. If that doesn't work, you might have to do some Terminal voodoo.

Open the Terminal and type the following:

sudo rm -r Desktop/name_of_file

enter your password.

Make sure you type the name of the file exactly. OS X is case sensitive.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
post #4 of 11
To make it easier, you can just type "sudo rm -r" and drag the file to the terminal, automatically inserting its path.
Worst...Signature...Ever
Reply
Worst...Signature...Ever
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot for the replies. I followed your instructions and this is what I saw:

[Gary-Adamss-Computer:~] garyadams% sudo rm -r/Users/garyadams/Desktop/f
rm: illegal option -- /
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file
\
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmpringles
Thanks a lot for the replies. I followed your instructions and this is what I saw:

[Gary-Adamss-Computer:~] garyadams% sudo rm -r/Users/garyadams/Desktop/f
rm: illegal option -- /
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file
\

There should be a space between -r and the path name.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 



Thanks a lot! My desktop is looking gorgeous again.
post #8 of 11
FWIW, the "-r" part doesn't do anything when you're deleting individual files. It stands for "recursive" and it's only necessary when you're trying to delete a non-empty folder.

{edit: grammar}
post #9 of 11
Don`t you need the -d flag to? If your using rm? I know I do anyways...
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
Reply
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
Reply
post #10 of 11
And never try

sudo rm -r *

or even worse

sudo rm -rf *

unless you really know what are you doing.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
And never try

sudo rm -r *

or even worse

sudo rm -rf *

unless you really know what are you doing.

Wildcard. Destroyer of volumes.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Newbie help!