or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED! - Page 6  

post #201 of 253
www.peanutpress.com

You buy books from them to read digitally. They embed your CC number, name, and expiration date in every book you buy. Been doing that for years. Its quite effective.
post #202 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by gsfmark
one more point I wanted to bring up...

what about data loss? I've had hard drive issues that cause data loss before, do you think if that happens you're just out of luck? or do you think Apple will store records of what you've gotten so for like a very minimal fee you can recover your catalog?

What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen? Same thing. You buy it all over again. Neither Apple or any other company is responsible for your reimbursing you for your misfortune. That said, a for fee backup service might be a good idea. Give it time though. That won't happen unless they can assure it won't be abused.

Don't know how the copy protection scheme will work, but it is possible that it may imbed a processor ID or something else, that will allow backups, as long as they are on the same processor. Backing up your data is your responsibility. We will learn more as time goes on.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #203 of 253
Well said
I love the miniBook!!! Oh yeah!!!
I love the miniBook!!! Oh yeah!!!
post #204 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaktai
What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen? Same thing. You buy it all over again. Neither Apple or any other company is responsible for your reimbursing you for your misfortune. That said, a for fee backup service might be a good idea. Give it time though. That won't happen unless they can assure it won't be abused.

Don't know how the copy protection scheme will work, but it is possible that it may imbed a processor ID or something else, that will allow backups, as long as they are on the same processor. Backing up your data is your responsibility. We will learn more as time goes on.

Amen. Now, if they don't let you make backups, then theres a problem.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #205 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by discstickers
Amen. Now, if they don't let you make backups, then theres a problem.

Maybe you'll be allowed to make a certain amount of downloads - say three - of the same song as long as you are using the same computer/iPod? Apple could track the downloads on your accont. Your account could be associated with your computer(s) in some way, and would not allow you to download the files to any other computer than your own. Is this a possible solution?
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #206 of 253
Quote:
What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen? Same thing. You buy it all over again.

No, you download the songs from the net, or rip a friend's copy, or some other such thing. Why buy it again?
post #207 of 253
does anyone know if the event tomorrow will be streamed on apple's site? i don't have a satellite, but i want to see it!!
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vamanos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock....
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vamanos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock....
post #208 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by gsfmark
does anyone know if the event tomorrow will be streamed on apple's site? i don't have a satellite, but i want to see it!!

Dont you think it would be easier to bribe a couple of Apple workers to let you in than to get your own sateliite [/cheap shot]

No word on QT stream. AFAIK they had a QT stream AFTER the event at the introduction of the iPod.
post #209 of 253
Quote:
What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen?

If it's one of my favorite CDs, I immediately make a copy and keep the original safe in it's case.

Who buys CDs anymore though?
"There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise, like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." --William S. Burroughs
"There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise, like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." --William S. Burroughs
post #210 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Tik
If it's one of my favorite CDs, I immediately make a copy and keep the original safe in it's case.

And I suspect there will be digital metaphor for this.

My guess is that your access keys will be stored in a discrete database, and that you will be able to secure that database either manually or though some .mac/Backup enhancements.

That way, even if your hard disk gets trashed you will be able to reconstruct your purchases.

Just my theory.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

"What's your point?" ~ Mark Solomon...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

"What's your point?" ~ Mark Solomon...
post #211 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Tik

i do and it's awfully expensive in the netherlands: 20.00 euro per cd.
and a lot of my friends have the same problem as i do and more: they buy vinyl too
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #212 of 253
Damn. I can't wait till Monday. When is the service/hardware gonna be announcd?
Gals are cool.
Gals are cool.
post #213 of 253
10 AM PDT. (That's 1 PM EDT)
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #214 of 253
Remember, tomorrow is a briefing to invited members of the media. It is not specifically a consumer unveiling such as a MacWorld event. That being said, reports are that a May 2nd Apple Store event will be for the public to get the new iPods and music service. That could be the reason for no live Quicktime streaming. Just a thought.
post #215 of 253
The original iPods were announced at a Media-only event, albeit I am not sure if they offered a live webcast. I recall watching it via QT webcast later that same day.

I think this time whatever they will be presenting will be HUGE in comparison to the iPod event. Live satellite broadcast calls for something really special.
post #216 of 253
Even the Drudgereport (http://www.drudgereport.com) is picking up on the Apple Music Service. It links to a Financial
Times article. http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1051389531103 The only new news is that record companies will recieve around 60 cents per download.

This is the first time I have seen the Drudgereport link to anything computer related at all. (Normally it just deals with national political issues) The site gets about 8 million hits a day.
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
PC Free Since 1999

post #217 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Tik

Smart move! Backups are your responsibility. I seem to remember something about the service would allow the original purchaser to copy or download to up to three computers (i.e. such as a home network). That may be the backup strategy, to allow three copies. Again, we will see when the service is live.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tik
Who buys CDs anymore though? [/B]

A lot of honest folks who still believe that anything of value has a fair exchange. If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

Personally I like the idea of the service, because I hate paying for an album that only has one or two songs I like. This way I can buy exactly what I like and no more. I will probably buy more music then before, and can't wait to try the service out. Like USB and other technologies, the idea has been out there for a long time, but it takes someone like Apple to really make it "work right" for the average person.
post #218 of 253
Does anyone think that Apple will also quietly revamp the eMac line on the 28th or thereabouts? I'm just waiting for an upgrade....I've got cash to spend..
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #219 of 253
When someone buys a book, a VHS tape,a CD, a DVD, etc.... they are buying 2 things....
1. the actual materials used to transfer and store the content and..
2. the content itself

The material costs of the actual medium (CD/DVD/etc) is preety insignificant when it is sold to end users. (the last i heard it costed $.50 to duplicate Audio CDs in the recording industry...and then they sell it for $15+...highway robery imo)

An online music service if sticking to the same policies of ownership as that of conventional mediums will possibly not take off. It effectively does away with material costs..... the initial costs of getting the infrastructure of servers up and running will be very negligable in the long run.

Lets not forget...the thing that sells CDs and DVDs is the content. Thats what people are paying for. That should give them the right to have a copy of the content for themselves. If lets say....the CD got damaged...it should have been possible to return the CD to the store and get a brand new copy for free. Apply that to online music stores....if for some reason your HD gets wiped out, etc...you get ur computer/iPod/whatever initialized and running again.... log back onto the website and you can download the song again FOR FREE. If they accomplish that feat...and get all the legalities set....youve got the next major online evolution on your hands. The end user is happy, the fat cats are happy, etc. if they do manage to get an end user licence agreement like the one above, and restricting the duplication of content.....free or otherwise. im all for it. if they stay with the old model, i personally would prefer to get my hands on a CD/DVD/book....instead of having to invest in 'digital content'. why ?
my computer (although a Mac) is prone to crashing more than my CD n DVD case.

this is also good for content creators...... imagine content creators being given tolls/services like these from companies (like the rumored Apple) to direcly sell their music to customers via the web ? now make that on a per song basis..and youve got a killer prodcut...... this might do away with the recording industry...but is that a bad thing ? i mean in recent years, computers have done away with the need for postal workers, copy centers, photo places, video editors, etc,etc..... the RIAA is a bloated entity protectiong its own channel of income using archaic means. it's time for a change, whether or not it comes from Apple. I m all for fair use and anti-piracy, but the profitm argings for CDs and DVDs is just rediculious imo.

And i honestly beleive that if any company can bring about change...and change for the better in this arena, Apple can.
post #220 of 253
Just wondering if the service should allow you, for a fee, to burn Cd's for gifts. Perhaps if you burn for yourself, it will be free, but contain your signature. Pay extra and you burn a clean copy. It's just an idea.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #221 of 253
The word is that it allows the song to be coppied to 3 computers. Couldnt there be a way for the song, in conjunction with the software, to hold an array of up to 3 computer serial numbers (available via the system profiler). The software checks, and adds a new serial number if needed. This would allow you to make as many copies as you wanted...but could only be played on 3 computers. The BIG downside to this is that the song would only be "viable" for 3 computers, so if you only have 1 computer but you upgrade to a new computer once a year, you would have to buy a new copy of the song after 3 years...
post #222 of 253
On the way home tonight we drove by the Apple Store in Palo Alto. Just after closing time they were taking down a big poster getting ready for tomorrow.

We stopped and looked in. There was a sign indicating you could go there to watch the presentation at the store 10:00AM Monday. There was also a sign inviting people to come back at 6:00PM Friday May 2 for a special event. An employee letting people out said they had heard that the Monday event would be webcast.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #223 of 253
The pending Apple announcement will be front page of the New York Times on Monday I believe. check out http://www.nytimes.com This will been one of the biggest press events for Apple in quite a few years.

Just the publicity alone makes the music service worth it. Basically every news outlet in the world has had an article about the impending service. I wonder how many journalist will show up tomorrow?
PC Free Since 1999

PC Free Since 1999

post #224 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
The word is that it allows the song to be coppied to 3 computers. Couldnt there be a way for the song, in conjunction with the software, to hold an array of up to 3 computer serial numbers (available via the system profiler). The software checks, and adds a new serial number if needed. This would allow you to make as many copies as you wanted...but could only be played on 3 computers. The BIG downside to this is that the song would only be "viable" for 3 computers, so if you only have 1 computer but you upgrade to a new computer once a year, you would have to buy a new copy of the song after 3 years...

Not necessarily. If there's a way to "authorize" a computer, there's a way to "deauthorize" it. The format will be cracked within three years anyway, so there's nothing to worry about.
post #225 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by jante99
Just the publicity alone makes the music service worth it. Basically every news outlet in the world has had an article about the impending service. I wonder how many journalist will show up tomorrow?

Hillary Rosen, former talking-head for the RIAA is quoted as saying she'll be there. So.... lots.
post #226 of 253
Quote:
If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

This is just absolutely not true. Radio is free. Internet radio is free. Riding in a friend's car whlie they listen to store bought CDs is free.

Not only are all of these options free, they're legal too.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #227 of 253
waiting for this to be a real site:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/apr/28ipod.html
post #228 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Nebagakid
waiting for this to be a real site:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/apr/28ipod.html

You aren't watching a replay of the presentation right now? So far Steve Jobbs has been talking about how complicated it is to download music on the internet. Wait . . . gasp now he is saying that Apple has a solution its the revolutionary new . . . . . . . . .
PC Free Since 1999

PC Free Since 1999

post #229 of 253
Yet another article, this one from the LA Times:
Quote:
Music industry executives have praised the Apple service, saying it's easier and more inviting than any of the other online music outlets they've sanctioned. But at the labels' insistence, the Apple service will have a layer of complexity that's missing from Morpheus, Grokster and their ilk: The music files won't be in the MP3 format, which can be easily copied, burned onto a CD and moved to many digital devices. Instead, the files will be scrambled to deter piracy.

The new format means Mac and iPod owners will need new software to play music from the service, which sources say will be sold for about $1 per song. The service will be integrated into an updated version of Apple's iTunes software, enabling users to search for, buy and download songs through the same program they use to organize and play music on their computers.
post #230 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Tik

Plenty of folks who see live music buy CDs at the show(listen to songs on drive home). Music lovers will always appreciate something tangible (artwork, lyrics,etc...), plus everything you might like is not always on big labels. The best part of Napster was not the free music as much as the larger than any store catalog of released and unreleased music,etc.
post #231 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Yet another article, this one from the LA Times:

Scrambled, ay? I prefer my music files sunny side up with a cup of orange juice and bit of toast.

I adore the non-tech media...

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #232 of 253
1$ per song is a little expensive if you ask me, considering the fact that most CDs have more than 10 songs. That amounts to over 10$ for a whole CD. Most CDs cost about 15$, and this includes an actuall CD, case, and documentation about the CD.

This service just might work out for those who only want one song off of a CD and nothing more. But for those of us who like to have every song on the CD, it doesn't seem too feasible. Dunno, guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone
post #233 of 253
Quote:
A lot of honest folks who still believe that anything of value has a fair exchange. If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

Your condescension and absolute disregard for the abuses of the record industry have made me reconsider my ways </sarcasm>

Preach at someone else. If the Apple Music service is rational (let's me burn CD copies), I'll probably use it. Even a 'thief' will pay for consistency and quality.
post #234 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfRat
1$ per song is a little expensive if you ask me, considering the fact that most CDs have more than 10 songs. That amounts to over 10$ for a whole CD. Most CDs cost about 15$, and this includes an actuall CD, case, and documentation about the CD.

This service just might work out for those who only want one song off of a CD and nothing more. But for those of us who like to have every song on the CD, it doesn't seem too feasible. Dunno, guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.

You'll find they offer a price of around $10 for a whole CD.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #235 of 253
The potential I see here is not with the current music file swappers, but with the iMac/iBook consumer crowd. There's a large market there who would buy music online if it was directly within iTunes but would never know what Limewire/Hotline/Etc. was and wouldn't know how to use them if they did. There are also plenty of people who wouldn't object to stealing songs online, but don't want to spend the time searching for them.

As for use after paying for the tracks, I see no reason why there should be any restrictions. You can copy a store bought cd all you want.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member. -Groucho Marx
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member. -Groucho Marx
post #236 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Tik

I do. There is a kind of fetish in every material product. You just can't deny that it's important for many people.
Quote:
If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

I'd prefer to pay for music and not for fat lazy music bosses' ability to keep their 'jobs', if I had the option. And if I buy a song in the form of bytes, I want the copy to be mine as long as possible without restrictions. Catch me red-handed when I sell pirated CDs, but I must be presumed not guilty. They could scramble the files with my e-mail as a password if they feel paranoid.
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #237 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by bucketsandbags
[B]The potential I see here is not with the current music file swappers, but with the iMac/iBook consumer crowd. There's a large market there who would buy music online if it was directly within iTunes but would never know what Limewire/Hotline/Etc. was and wouldn't know how to use them if they did.

My thoughts exactly.

The music industry has already lost any future income from the digerati. Steve's pitch to the Big 5 was "you're never going to get another dime from the tech savvy file swappers anyway, so just let 'em go and start making money off the other 90% of the market who don't know how to steal. You'll come out way ahead in the long run."
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #238 of 253
My guess is that the DRM will be not much stricter than is currently built in to iPod. That is, enough to stop casual sharing but not enough to stop really determined pirates.

I would be willing to buy music online as it provides several benefits compared to free peer-to-peer downloads.

First of all is availability. I currently am looking for a couple of items via Acquisition. These have been pending for days. My guess is that if you are looking for pop music it is easy to find. Other stuff is rare.

Second is quality. I have down loaded some files only to find them poorly encoded or incomplete.

Third is additional material. This is speculation on my part but I'm guessing that in addition to individual songs you will be able to download liner notes, jacket covers, posters and other such supporting files.

To me, $10 for an album of music is worth it compared to the time it would take to find this material for free online.
post #239 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
You'll find they offer a price of around $10 for a whole CD.

That's too much. CDs cost far less than that new where I'm from.
post #240 of 253
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
That's too much. CDs cost far less than that new where I'm from.

where the hell is that and if its foreign country what do you care since this music service will most likely not be available outside the US
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!