or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.5 out...at SU!

10.2.5 out...at SU! - Page 3  

post #81 of 122
thankfully that darn date and time problem has been fixed!

now if mail.app would get it's act together... er maybe it's my isp..evil comcast
post #82 of 122
oops
post #83 of 122
Has anyone else had their .Mac mail problems fixed with 10.2.5?
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #84 of 122
Recalibrating the battery worked this time. I don't know if it was 10.2.5 or if I just didn't do it right previously. At any rate my battery life is much better now. Woo hoo! 8)
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
post #85 of 122
Quote:
Well folks, I downloaded my 10.2.5 in HOPES that it would fix my problem not being able to send mail from ANY of my .mac accounts from the Mail application.

I really doubt Apple allows for multiple .mac accounts per person.

Quote:
(btw, I do not want to use my ISP's smtp server. I get spammed when I do so

Eh?
post #86 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
I really doubt Apple allows for multiple .mac accounts per person.

sure they do. if you pay them all...
post #87 of 122
My 10.2.5 sped things ups. A big 'thank you' to SJ. Keep up the good work. (ps, let the programers out of their boxes once in a while to visit the vending machines please)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #88 of 122
As a household..yes, I do have more than one account. One for my other half, and one for me. I have friends with multiple .mac accounts..so apparently you CAN have more than one. Still, better yet and back to the subject - has anyone had any success in getting their Mail Client (the one built into OSX) to send any .Mac mail after updating to 10.2.5? To refrence the question Eh? (about using my ISP smtp server to send the .mac mail and spam) I did change it for a temporary mesaure to send mail from the OSX mail client from a .mac account. I only had sent one message (to my honeys account) and almost immediately got spammed heavily, I personally do not see how this could be, but within an hour..I had both accounts get spammed with identical emails. It has taken about a week to get all of the spam filtered out, and I know I could use the spam filter, but who wants to deal with it, when they don't have to. I PAY for the .Mac service and just want it to work, the way it is SUPPOSED TO. I have called Apple for the first time about this (or any problems with apple stuff) and they could not help me. I went to Apple's .Mac discussion boards as requested and submitted a post there. I saw DOZENS of people with the same problem, and we were all pretty much copy pasted the same response - Apple is just wanting us to use our ISP's smtp server. NO, I WANT AND NEED TO USE APPLES. I pay for the service, and want it to work. I don't want a workaround ( I know it is not my ISP or port blocking, cause I am able to send and recieve .mac mail using other mail clients such as eudora, or the client built into netscape.) If anyone can help, it would be appreciated by many, not just my self. Thanks again for reading the old Rant!
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #89 of 122
Yes! 10.2.5 fixed my problems with playing DVD-Rs from my Panasonic DVD Recorder deck! I'll never go back to VHS now!

I knew this was a support thing. Thanks Apple!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #90 of 122
My Mail works just fine sending through .Mac. I only have one account though so I can't test multiple accounts.
post #91 of 122
Do you guys still have problems with custom icons ?

For me, nothing changed after the 10.2.5 update. I don't see any differences, except that my date isn't reset.

I still have the pasted icon problem. When I paste a new icon on a folder (or an app) which already have a custom icon, nothing change ! Apparently, I can delete the icon first, but when I try to paste a new one, the old icon is back again. What gives, Apple ?

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #92 of 122
Yes Kali I see this too when I try to change icons on my desktop. WTF Apple? I repaired permissions and still no go. It changes when I log out but I can't ever log out since I run Carracho Server 24/7.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #93 of 122
post #94 of 122
Quote:

I don't think that is going to help them. If they are still experiencing it in the latest update. Did you guys try to restart the finder after changing the icon? that works for me at times
post #95 of 122
Yea but what the hell is up with this, it didn't happen in 10.2.3 on either my iBook or miniPowerBook. It happened in 10.2.4 and now 10.2.5.
post #96 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
thankfully that darn date and time problem has been fixed!

now if mail.app would get it's act together... er maybe it's my isp..evil comcast

What problem are you having with Mail? Mine, right after the update, stopped receiving any mail at all. I just deleted the preferences and set the mailbox up from scrap and it was fine again.
post #97 of 122
iBrowse...OMG..that is somthing I have not done. Apple did not suggest it, and in my blind RAGE of the situation..totally brain-farted on that fact. I will try that once I am done making this DVD right now, and do that. If indeed it does fix it (deleting all accounts AND prefrences) and doing the whole thing from scratch. I have deleted all accounts before and reput them in from scratch- but not deleted the prefrences....simple, yet it may yeild what is needed. If this works, I thank you, if not- it was worth a try. I will let you all know if this indeed works. Cheers!
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #98 of 122
Yep, I'm having this exact same problem. I didn't know that plugging the dongle into a hub made it work, though -- thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltire
Hi I did just post this in a different thread, but I'll put it here too,

I'm haveing a problem with my Bluetooth after updating to 10.2.5 (using the D-Link DWB-120M adapter). Whenever I wake my iBook from sleep Bluetooth is turned off (it recognises the adapter is there but states in the menu extra and Prefpane that Bluetooth is off) - the only solution is to unplug the adapter then plug it back in again. The same problem occurs on our iMac DV.

Anyone else have this problem?

edit: Done some testing and here's my conclusion which I sent to Apple:

Using the D-Link DWB-120M Bluetooth adapter on Mac OS X v10.2.5.

With the adapter plugged into a USB port on the computer the adapter would not turn on after waking the computer from sleep (Bluetooth menu extra and Prefpane stated that Bluetooth was turned off. The only solution was to unplug then plug the adapter. This problem was reproduced everytime when waking from sleep on an iBook 600Mhz and an iMac DV.

However, if the adapter is plugged into a USB hub (external USB hub or a keyboard hub) then it works correctly when the machine wakes up with no problem.
post #99 of 122
News from the USB kernel panic front:

The 10.2.5 update, while successful for most users, has been anywhere from problematical to disastrous for more than a few. Since I was one of the few, I have been avidly following Apple's discussion boards on this topic. There are many, many posts. MacFixIt reports significantly larger than usual email volume related to trouble with the 10.2.5 update.

Most common symptom is kernel panics every 5 to 10 minutes which are USB related. Consensus is the system is choking on loading multiple connect devices in some configurations. Unplugging all USB devices stops the panics, but is obviously not a solution for those who use their devices regularily.

Apple phone support people have reportedly been admitting to some callers that there is a problem with USB in 10.2.5, and saying that Apple is working on a fix. Interestingly enough, it looks like this buggy update is already burned onto CDs and available at the Apple Store.

In my case, I had the 10 minute kernel panics, which led me into a 10 hour troubleshooting binge during which 10.2.5 fried the USB ports on my expensive graphic arts monitor. This is not an isolated case. I have already noted several other reports of USB monitor ports being disabled by this flawed update.

Expect more news and discussion as Apple's little goof snowballs over the coming week.
post #100 of 122
does anyone else feel that we are now entering a new era when macos and windows will to all intenets and purposes be indistinguishable. I cannot comprehend the appalling mess apple has made of the last 2 updates. for them to screw up on something as basic as USB is soemthing we would smugly laugh at the windows world with. the question is that in an era of machines with slight differences, a plethora of pc ported usb cards and 3rd party peripherals, can we expect a new age when we can no longer just expect apple stuff to work? since 10.2.4 I have for the first time in nearly 2 decades been afraid to apply an apple system update. I feel like a windows user.

I also get the feeling that apple's own development team are not finding X as rosy and swet as they might at first have thought. since the move to X they still haven't managed to make it as fast as 9, can't seem to prevent files being sprayed all over the place by developers, rely on us fixing permissions and fscking (yeah, that's real mac like), no boot to a desktop from a CD and much more.

what the hell is going on?
Greatly Insane
Greatly Insane
post #101 of 122
Spooky-

Your post pretty much sums up my feelings after wasting 10 hours troubleshooting for Apple and losing the USB ports on my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u. My faith in the stability of OS X has been shaken.

My guess is that Apple employees are under so much pressure from Jobs to do the impossible all the time that mistakes slip by in the rush.
post #102 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by garyp

My guess is that Apple employees are under so much pressure from Jobs to do the impossible all the time that mistakes slip by in the rush.

Or maybe you're putting the blame on Jobs and the employees when the customers (especially internet forum folks) are really at fault for putting pressure on Apple.

Everyday people say Apple sucks because there's a problem with this and a problem with that and 'why is product x not out yet'...and when Apple tries to bring out product x in a timely manner, people quickly switch to 'good lord, how can Apple release such a beta-quality software'-mode.

You guys are being unreasonable. You've had a bit of bad luck that's all. The problems on the Windows side happen much more often. I hope the USB issues you guys are getting will be fixed but don't blame Apple.
post #103 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Or maybe you're putting the blame on Jobs and the employees when the customers (especially internet forum folks) are really at fault for putting pressure on Apple.

Everyday people say Apple sucks because there's a problem with this and a problem with that and 'why is product x not out yet'...and when Apple tries to bring out product x in a timely manner, people quickly switch to 'good lord, how can Apple release such a beta-quality software'-mode.

You guys are being unreasonable. You've had a bit of bad luck that's all. The problems on the Windows side happen much more often. I hope the USB issues you guys are getting will be fixed but don't blame Apple.

Ahem, we are the customer, and have every right to complain about something that we invest a lot in to run properly. SO WHAT! if consumers ask for what should be there already to be there, and Apple struggles to put it together, and then screws so many just to get a basic thing up and running. I pay my money, and expect certain things for it, any level-headed consumer would. There is no excuse for Apple, they dropped the ball, now they need to fix it.
post #104 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by ijerry
Ahem, we are the customer, and have every right to complain about something that we invest a lot in to run properly. SO WHAT! if consumers ask for what should be there already to be there, and Apple struggles to put it together, and then screws so many just to get a basic thing up and running. I pay my money, and expect certain things for it, any level-headed consumer would. There is no excuse for Apple, they dropped the ball, now they need to fix it.

shut the **** up
post #105 of 122
Quote:
shut the **** up

Amen to that.
post #106 of 122
Quote:

Ahem,

What are you comparing this to? A car, a boat, a house, a lawn mower? I've had trouble with all of these. Also Windows isn't perfect either. So what do you base this statement on? What example are you using? How is this different from those other imperfect items?
post #107 of 122
Do you feel better now Kim Kap? I hope you do. Because it takes no ****ing brains to be that ignorant. So, kiss my ass!

Yeah, I buy other items, and in doing so, I switch brands according to how they work. Isn't that what consumers do? Or do you just take it up the ass for corporate america? Screw that. I vote with my buck, if you don't then don't, I don't give a rats ass. I am stating something that is a fact, if you feel that Apple, MS, Ford, or whoever has the right to take your money, then piss on you, that is your fault. I switched to a Mac because there are less problems, there are not too many other options that I like, so Apple is still the best quality for now, that does not mean that I should kiss their ass and say thank you for some kernel panics. I have owned toyotas for most of my life, and now due to problems with both a corolla and camry, I will no longer ever buy a toyota again. I guess I should just thank them too.

Perhaps when a few of you grow a brain of your own, you will be able to make these decisions, however basic they may be.
post #108 of 122
Quote:

Yeah as a consumer you deserve something that works but for the most part a lot of Mac users get pissed when they don't get what they want or expect. Even though Apple has their own hardware it is damn near impossible to match every user configuration. I haven't had problems with USB and not every user has. No computer company is perfect and they never stated they were...I don't care if they have 90% of the market or 3%. Stuff like this happens sometimes.

We are a overhyped bunch that keep ourselves entertained with rumors and a bunch of BS. We need to calm down and let Apple do their business. I know rumongering is a huge part of being a MAC user, but if we want Apple to be taken seriously then we gotta grow up sometimes. The 10.2.4 update hosed my DVD burning on my 15in Powerbook. NOw I got bummed out but I grew to deal with it. The new update fixed it as well as a couple other little things. If you are having USB problems go back a version. All I wish was that there were uninstallers for the updates.

Sorry if this was partly random
post #109 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by foad
Yeah as a consumer you deserve something that works but for the most part a lot of Mac users get pissed when they don't get what they want or expect. Even though Apple has their own hardware it is damn near impossible to match every user configuration. I haven't had problems with USB and not every user has. No computer company is perfect and they never stated they were...I don't care if they have 90% of the market or 3%. Stuff like this happens sometimes.

We are a overhyped bunch that keep ourselves entertained with rumors and a bunch of BS. We need to calm down and let Apple do their business. I know rumongering is a huge part of being a MAC user, but if we want Apple to be taken seriously then we gotta grow up sometimes. The 10.2.4 update hosed my DVD burning on my 15in Powerbook. NOw I got bummed out but I grew to deal with it. The new update fixed it as well as a couple other little things. If you are having USB problems go back a version. All I wish was that there were uninstallers for the updates.

Sorry if this was partly random

I agree with what you say. However, I don't ask that Apple do this or that now, I wait patiently, and when Apple says some upgrade is ready, then I download it. The only beta-software I have is Safari. My system was freshly installed about two weeks ago, so I feel that these problems should not be on my system because of how clean it was. I understand that bugs happen, but I am putting the blame where it is. I didn't release an update. Apple did. I just want Apple to fix it. That is all.

P.S. uninstallers for updates would be great.
post #110 of 122
Quote:
I didn't release an update. Apple did. I just want Apple to fix it. That is all.

Apple will fix it. So please...do me a favor and shut yer trap.
post #111 of 122
Quote:
Apple will fix it. So please...do me a favor and shut yer trap.

Why is Apple going to fix it? I thought it was my fault for begging Apple to release an update? Shouldn't I be the one to fix it according to your argument?

So, why don't you shut your trap, and stop refuting your own invalid points!
post #112 of 122
If I may poke in here, I'd just like to know why they don't fix longstanding bugs like the renaming a new folder in list view or the pasting of a custom icon bug. The USB thing, I mean come on guys updates are bound to a few issues. I don't mind it as long as they ACTUALLY FIX THEM, and in a timely manner. However you're right Apple is slow at many things. Security they are good about. They fixed my DVD lagging in fullscreen on my miniBook fixed finally, that was good for example, but they waste too much time on crap like Bluetooth.
post #113 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by spooky
what the hell is going on?

You have been such an uber-pessimist over the last several updates. Is this a reaction from specific problems, or a state of mind?
post #114 of 122
Guys, chill.

ljerry, this is why many people don't install an update until a few days have passed, and problem reports start coming out. This is also why you make sure you back up your system before installing... if it goes wrong, you can roll back /System and the Apple applications. Apple may have released the update, but *you* installed it on your system. You need to take some responsibility for that.

Everyone else, let it go. It's not going to make it any better.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #115 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Guys, chill.

ljerry, this is why many people don't install an update until a few days have passed, and problem reports start coming out. This is also why you make sure you back up your system before installing... if it goes wrong, you can roll back /System and the Apple applications. Apple may have released the update, but *you* installed it on your system. You need to take some responsibility for that.

no doubts there, I did install it. that wasn't the issue. But, I do take responsibility for it, and try to be helpful with others experiencing the problem. I don't really hound Apple or the release boards, I saw it in my system update, so I installed it, I had no clue it had just come out, when I starting experiencing the problems, that is when I starting doing digging. I just hope it gets resolved soon. BTW, all is backed up, but I am not sure how to go back with the system as you say.
post #116 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Guys, chill.

Software Update is enabled by Apple's default. They want us to update. Updates via S/W Update should be ready for public consumption. I had no intention of starting a flame war. I was simply reporting the facts. All my statements are easily corroborated by reality. And there is no uninstaller for my monitor's fried USB system.
post #117 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by garyp
Software Update is enabled by Apple's default. They want us to update. Updates via S/W Update should be ready for public consumption. I had no intention of starting a flame war. I was simply reporting the facts. All my statements are easily corroborated by reality. And there is no uninstaller for my monitor's fried USB system.

Have you tried Joe's Fried Monitor USB Uninstaller 1.03? Watch out though, I heard the uninstaller might fry your Firewire ports.
post #118 of 122
Hey guys, since when can board members tell others to "shut the **** up"? Seems like we need to read the Posting Guidelines again.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #119 of 122
iBrowse, thank you for the suggestion and everyone else who had a hint. Sadly, this did not work for me. It just got me to redo my mail settings and re -setup all my email boxes. My .mac email can still recieve..but not send. Please God..if anyone can figure this out...thanks!
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #120 of 122
Quote:
Have you tried Joe's Fried Monitor USB Uninstaller 1.03? Watch out though, I heard the uninstaller might fry your Firewire ports.

kim kap sol - What is your problem, shithead?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.2.5 out...at SU!