or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Totally loving Safari now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Totally loving Safari now?

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
I really liked safari when it firstly came out but once I started using it as my primary browser I started to stumble across little bugs etc which meant I still had to go and use IE or whatever. Well now with the latest release it just totally rocks.

What do all you guys/gals think? Still lots of room for improvement?Or are you satisfied enough?

Really loving Safari now! (OT: Oh and this colour)
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
post #2 of 44
Yes, I've now dumped IE from the Dock and I'm using Safari fulltime.

The only minor grievance I still have with it is that it screws up my own website (though all the others I work on now render correctly). Probably my own fault for cheating totally and having floating cell sizes in various table, so I'm going to regard it as an excellent opportunity to redo all the graphics...
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
post #3 of 44
I like safari, and its my primary browser but is there a way to get it NOT to ask for my pw when i open it everytime?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #4 of 44
I also use Safari as my primary browser, but it still has some major issues with Java applets on some of the sites I visit on a daily basis, including my bank. It doesn't seem to be an OS issue, since Exploder still renders those Java applets correctly, albeit really slow.

Why is it that Java is so "iffy" in Safari? Will it ever work well?

\
post #5 of 44
i love it but it still always has problems with windows media player and java but the tabs and autofill are cooljavascript:smilie('8)')
post #6 of 44
I am totally in love with the latest release. I tried using v.60-v.67 and did not care for it. Too many problems with pages and it had a tendency to just time out while trying to load certain pages. It was very frustrating. However v.73 finally works with few apparent bugs, and actually seems faster than Camino on my computer.
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
Reply
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
Reply
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill M
I also use Safari as my primary browser, but it still has some major issues with Java applets on some of the sites I visit on a daily basis, including my bank. It doesn't seem to be an OS issue, since Exploder still renders those Java applets correctly, albeit really slow.

Why is it that Java is so "iffy" in Safari? Will it ever work well?

\

Safari uses Java 1.4.1 by default (if it's available). IE uses Java 1.3. That might explain the differences.

There's a way to get Safari to use Java 1.3 if you have both runtimes. I don't have it to hand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Safari uses Java 1.4.1 by default (if it's available). IE uses Java 1.3. That might explain the differences.

There's a way to get Safari to use Java 1.3 if you have both runtimes. I don't have it to hand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

According to Apple, updating to Java 1.4.1 does not replace older Java versions (i.e. 1.3.1), but rather adds the new one. This is so apps that rely upon older Java versions won't break after the update. So, if I still have both runtimes, how do I change Safari from its default Java 1.4.1 to 1.3?
post #9 of 44
i like the new safari also....


question :::

is there any way to get safari to play mpgs in the browser?
post #10 of 44
Loved it since the first beta. I have 100s of bookmarks and the way Safari does bookmarks allows you to handle MASSIVE amounts of information easily.

However the new version needs to be restarted frequently since after a while it'll just stop loading pages. They just come up blank. Restarting Safari fixes this.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #11 of 44
When it can do simple contextual menu commands I'll be delighted to use it.
post #12 of 44
Well, as suggested by Amorph, I searched and found the way to force Safari into bypassing Java 1.4.1 for a previous version. Easy one step details and explanation here:

Pick Java version for Safari - from Apple

I tried it. Safari still chokes on the same Java applets that Explorer handles correctly. There must be something else at fault here.

post #13 of 44
so does anyone else have to enter their password everytime they start it up or dont u have that problem...why does it do this it says it wants to access my keychain...y?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #14 of 44
No problems here. I launch it and it loads without asking keychain access.

What do you have for a homepage in Safari preferences? Change it to apple.com or something similar and try again. Maybe whatever website you have there calls for a password from your keychain.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill M
No problems here. I launch it and it loads without asking keychain access.

What do you have for a homepage in Safari preferences? Change it to apple.com or something similar and try again. Maybe whatever website you have there calls for a password from your keychain.

heh...i doubt google needs access to that, but i could be wrong
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #16 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Loved it since the first beta. I have 100s of bookmarks and the way Safari does bookmarks allows you to handle MASSIVE amounts of information easily.

However the new version needs to be restarted frequently since after a while it'll just stop loading pages. They just come up blank. Restarting Safari fixes this.

Yeah I really like the bookmark management feature. I must literally have around a 1000 bookmarks perfectly sorted in a handy fashion!
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
heh...i doubt google needs access to that, but i could be wrong

Indeed it does, Safari keeps your autofill stuff secure. This includes the little search box on Google.com.

It doesn't give your PW out to any site for whatever reason though. In fact, I don't think Safari even gets access to it, rather it has permission to access the item in your keychain. Or something like that.
post #18 of 44
safari refuses to work for me tried reinstalling, no luck... OW may hawe screwed something up... oh well.. I DONT CARE!!
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Spart
Indeed it does, Safari keeps your autofill stuff secure. This includes the little search box on Google.com.

It doesn't give your PW out to any site for whatever reason though. In fact, I don't think Safari even gets access to it, rather it has permission to access the item in your keychain. Or something like that.

so how do i fix this, i dont want to to ask me
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #20 of 44
It won't remember the new homepage that I set for it.
EVER!

Other than that I like it...but it crashes a lot more than the last version.

a LOT more!
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Reply
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
so does anyone else have to enter their password everytime they start it up or dont u have that problem...why does it do this it says it wants to access my keychain...y?

It's doing this to me as well, and I'm not sure why. I can't see anything that would cause it.

also, how do I get rid of the java console?
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
It's doing this to me as well, and I'm not sure why. I can't see anything that would cause it.

also, how do I get rid of the java console?

haha i guess nobody cares about us
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #23 of 44
how does safari work with secure sites now? how about with ebay? i couldn't list things on ebay with earlier versions
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by trevorM
?Or are you satisfied enough?

No.

Reason: Still no "back", "forward" in the contextual menu!
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
No.

Reason: Still no "back", "forward" in the contextual menu!

Actually I'll admit that the contextual menu is a lacking a little at the moment
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
post #26 of 44
I'm giving Safari the Lemon Love TM right now.

It silk vs cotton. You hearing dat, M$?

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
Reply
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill M
I also use Safari as my primary browser, but it still has some major issues with Java applets on some of the sites I visit on a daily basis, including my bank. It doesn't seem to be an OS issue, since Exploder still renders those Java applets correctly, albeit really slow.

Why is it that Java is so "iffy" in Safari? Will it ever work well?

\

I had a similar problem with my bank and found that if I visited that site with "Block Pop-Up Windows" engaged it did not work. I thought that the problem was with Safari because IE worked. Try visiting that site with "Block Pop-Up Windows" un-engaged.

Ty
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Reply
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Reply
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
I'm giving Safari the Lemon Love TM right now.

It silk vs cotton. You hearing dat, M$?

Lemon Bon Bon


HA! I thought you are only using OS 9
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Reply
post #29 of 44
Has anybody else had the problem with Safari hanging upon launches? It's happened to me several times just yesterday and today. It will take almost a minute (with the bouncing beachball) for anything to load initially. It was a random thing, but now it's becoming expected. I had none of this with previous releases at all.
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
Reply
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
Reply
post #30 of 44
Safari v73 is working great for me. It now works flawlessly with Wells Fargo whereas WF refused to work with Safari at all before. Maybe they got tired of me sending them notes asking them to upgrade their web page.

As a suggestion for those having trouble with Safari, first open the Safari folder in your library and make a copy of the bookmarks.plist file in a separate folder. Then under the Safari menu select Reset Safari...
This will clear out everything and put Safari back into a fresh state. Quit Safari then replace the bookmarks file with the copy you made.
Restart Safari.

Possibly this will help.

Actually, for safety I would make a copy of the entire Safari folder and the apple.com.safari.plist file in the Library/Preferences folder just in case.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
so how do i fix this, i dont want to to ask me

Just delete the old keychain entry and let Safari recreate it. This odd behavior sometimes happens when you copy a new version of an app over an old.
Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
It won't remember the new homepage that I set for it.
EVER!

Have you tried deleting Safari's preferences?
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by badtz
is there any way to get safari to play mpgs in the browser?

Yes: get people to code their webpages properly and use some EMBED tags. Check out www.pixar.com for how it looks.
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
post #33 of 44
Why is their no Toolbar tictac widget to get rid of the toolbars?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Why is their no Toolbar tictac widget to get rid of the toolbars?

The toolbar Apple uses is not the standard cocoa NSToolbar. It's some funky custom class. I have no idea why is it because the NSToolbar is *far* superior. Note that you can't move the buttons around the toolbar or "poof" them off it either.

On second thought, maybe it's because of the resizable slider between the address and Google fields that Apple had to subclass this.

Anyway, there's your answer.
post #35 of 44
I forgot all about good old Safari in the flutter of iTunes. Yup, I'm loving it as much as ever. I can't recall the last time I've fired up IE. I guess when this goes final I'll be a permenant switcher.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
The toolbar Apple uses is not the standard cocoa NSToolbar. It's some funky custom class. I have no idea why is it because the NSToolbar is *far* superior. Note that you can't move the buttons around the toolbar or "poof" them off it either.

On second thought, maybe it's because of the resizable slider between the address and Google fields that Apple had to subclass this.

Anyway, there's your answer.

In my mind, the real "toolbar" for Safari is the Bookmark Bar -- which adopts NSToolbar's features in moving items around, adding, and organizing. There there's much more dynamic activity going on in that space than the address bar.

Just a difference in philosophy, but it makes sense. Who knows, perhaps there are technicial reasons as the slider as well.
post #37 of 44
I still have a few javascript niggles here and there, but Safari has now deposed every other browser from the Dock.

Can't wait for the final.
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Reply
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Overhope
Yes: get people to code their webpages properly and use some EMBED tags.

Contradictio in terminis!

I'll have you know that EMBED is nowhere to be seen in the HTML 4.01 specification, let alone in XHTML. It's an old hack that's still around, and sadly enough, still supported by most browsers.

The correct way would be by using the OBJECT tags appropriately. They have been around at least since HTML 4 ('98 or '99), but plenty 'o browsers still couldn't care less.

Ah well. Browsers and standards compliance'll give you gray hair way before your time.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Just delete the old keychain entry and let Safari recreate it. This odd behavior sometimes happens when you copy a new version of an app over an old.

the wise wisdom of brade


THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #40 of 44
I sent extensive feedback to Apple yesterday because I couldn't take it anymore. After a few minutes or a few hours depending on what sites I'm browsing (I guess? AI doesn't do this often) Safari stops loading pages correctly or at all. It royally messed up Slashdot twice rendering those icons at the top all over the page like wallpaper with only the first headline loaded. Next time I'll post a screenshot.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Totally loving Safari now?