or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 4

iTunes 4

post #1 of 109
Does the release of a new iPod and possible music service really mean we will get a full new version? Or do you think it is more likely that we will get a .x update of iTunes. Personally I don't see how iTunes can be improved much more. It rocks as it is!
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #2 of 109
I think it will be a version 4.

Improvements: Covers, lyrics, booklets, online search in Apple's music database.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #3 of 109
I think we'll get a "full new version". It would be the right time to introduce it, wouldn't it. Together with new music download service and new iPods, the new version of iTunes would get lots of attention.

Speaking of improvements, I think there are several areas where improvements would be appreciated. [list=1][*]Processor load - can never get low enough when almost everybody has iTunes running all the time.[*]Better performance ot with large music collections.[*]General improvements to interface.[*]Buit in playback of .ogg and other formats.[*]etc[/list=1]

In short: still room for improvement.

One last thing: we got a preview of iTunes at WWSF, so the next version can't be too far away
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #4 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
One last thing: we got a preview of iTunes at WWSF, so the next version can't be too far away

It was MWNY02 actually.
JLL

JLL

post #5 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
It was MWNY02 actually.

D@mn, you're right! They've had some time to improve on iTunes 3 then
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #6 of 109
I'd like AAC support as well as a better option for MP3 encoding.. their VBR algorithm is pitiful...

Edit: like LAME support... OGG is not a good format because NOTHING uses it...even if it IS open source)
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #7 of 109
Rondezvous - I would love to have all of my music in a central location, but play it anywhere.

AAC/mp4 encoding/decoding

Covers/Lyrics

A well integrated music service,

One Click

more powerful visuals
Imagine all the people!!!
Imagine all the people!!!
post #8 of 109
From Macbidouille:
Quote:
iTunes 4 28 April:

The rumour is not already practically more one, but an APPLE source (not in France) would have confirmed the setting in remote loading of iTunes 4 28 Avril.

If iTunes 4 is able to be connected to buy music like large, APPLE won't have temptation one day should check on the discs which pieces of MP3 are legitimately acquired?
It would be necessary that one looks at that of near in the implementation code..

Is this making any sense to you???
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #9 of 109
A bit paranoid. (French site, remember).

As if iTunes would look at the MP3 file, decide that you downloaded it from Kazaa or what-have-you and and choose not to play it.

What if some talented bloke turned his own, original music into an MP3?

Not happening...

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #10 of 109
What do you guys think of the possibility of a Cocoa iTunes?

I know it's far-fetched, since iTunes has matured a lot since its first Carbon port and very few people have any complaints about it.

Then again, they rewrote iMovie in Cocoa..
post #11 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by frawgz

They did ...? A complete rewrite to cocoa is not as important as the other things mentioned, like averall speed, performance with very large playlist a.s.o. What means they use to achive these goals are not as important as the final result.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #12 of 109
Quote:
They did ...? A complete rewrite to cocoa is not as important as the other things mentioned, like averall speed, performance with very large playlist a.s.o. What means they use to achive these goals are not as important as the final result.

Absolutely.. but it would still be interesting if they did think rewriting it in Cocoa was worth the effort.
post #13 of 109
They need to up the limit your iTunes Library can have...I know not many people have that much music but I will be aproching it soon...sooner with a new music service...
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I'd like AAC support as well as a better option for MP3 encoding.. their VBR algorithm is pitiful...

Edit: like LAME support... OGG is not a good format because NOTHING uses it...even if it IS open source)

i don't quite get your logic here: you'd like to see support for a proprietary format that nothing uses (AAC) instead of an open source format that some use...?

well if the rumour mill is anything to go by, you'll get your wish but i can't help feeling that given ogg's equally good quality and smaller file sizes, that i would prefer that particular lossy codec over one with DRM potential.
thinking different(ly)
thinking different(ly)
post #15 of 109
Quote:
What do you guys think of the possibility of a Cocoa iTunes?

I know it's far-fetched, since iTunes has matured a lot since its first Carbon port and very few people have any complaints about it.

Cocoa and Carbon have been on a converging path for a while now. I think most Apple apps are neither completely Cocoa or completely Carbon.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
They need to up the limit your iTunes Library can have...I know not many people have that much music but I will be aproching it soon...sooner with a new music service...

Agree. I think many people are starting to hit that limit. More important though is the performance with playlists of this size - it has to be improved. iTunes 3 is getting quite unresponsive with very large playlists.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #17 of 109
man, they need to make dat shit faster!
post #18 of 109
Quote:

And made it run at around half the speed...
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
post #19 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Overhope
And made it run at around half the speed...

Hey, but at least it's; COCOA !!!
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #20 of 109
just got it...

NO UK SERVICE YET
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #21 of 109
Where are the music videos?
post #22 of 109
AAC IS mp4 right?

Wouldn't it be better marketing to CALL it mp4...it sounds "better".

Also Stevie says aac is better than mp3 is it?

Should i re-import all my cds in aac?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... -TMBG
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... -TMBG
post #23 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnHenry
AAC IS mp4 right?

Wouldn't it be better marketing to CALL it mp4...it sounds "better".

You are correct, it would sound better, however mp4 is a video standard. mp3 is really mp1 audio layer 3.

aac is the(an?) audio layer to mp4
post #24 of 109
I'm downloading iTunes 4 and iPod 1.3 right now! Dial up.

The sucky part will be reencoding everything in AAC.

But I can't wait!

Then, some day, I'll get my gorgeous 30GB version and have ALL of my songs. Well lots of them, anyway.
post #25 of 109
Personally I´m done with this platform
post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders the White

Well Anders don't let the door hit ya...where the good Lord split ya!

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders the White

0.o you're switching to a PC? YOU TRAITOR!
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
post #28 of 109
iTunes now has the 16th note in green. I guess Apple hope for lots of music downloads!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
iTunes now has the 16th note in green. I guess Apple hope for lots of music downloads!

lol... Those are a pair of 8th notes... 16th notes would have an additional flag...
post #30 of 109
Kinda OT here but all we need now is an updated iChat.
post #31 of 109
CPU time is much reduced. I have gone from circa 10% on a dual 867 to about 3%

YMMV

low-fi
post #32 of 109
Hmm, cunning, Apple: change the smaller font size to 9pt so my display looks disgusting until I turn the smoothing down...

Okay, further thoughts now I'm ripping a CD:

Tracks end up as m4a files, which is more marketable than aac (sounds a bit more like mp3), and represent roughly a 2/3 saving in file-size.

The new buttons make sense: they're the same style as Safari (though Quicktime Player hasn't changed: at least my Pro registration hasn't gone south), but why are all the ones at the bottom of the window (which is starting to look cluttered) exactly the same as before? Looks rather bitty, and the artwork button is a less-than-intuitive icon.

Hate the green note in the application icon...

Oh, and Amazon's servers are going to take a huge hit from people "downloading" cover artwork. Nice feature, not sure how much use I'll give it.

Definite double-plus-good to the hugely reduced processor overhead (until you turn visuals on, anyway), and the rip speed is pretty darn good.

Oh, and if I rip everything as AAC (which I think I'll probably want to do, just to cram more tunes in), it's going to make life very, very interesting when I want to DJ in Traktor... at least until such time as they make that app AAC-capable

Stay tuned.
post #33 of 109
iTunes is now Cocoa? iTunes 4 ROCKS. And I mean this is free software.

However the buttons kinda suck. They're not too bad, I just prefer the old ones. They look slick but day in and day out they look like they'll get old. And eeeeww the green icon! I wanted red! Brad, Amorph, any other takers for a new icon?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #34 of 109
whats with the new font? ewww...

as for OGG and ACC

ACC is the next generation of mp3... it is the right direction to be moving...
post #35 of 109
Paul - it's AAC
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
iTunes is now Cocoa? iTunes 4 ROCKS. And I mean this is free software.

Still Carbon. I think my favorite color was blue for the icon.
post #37 of 109
Quote:
Paul - it's AAC

lol {postcount ++}
post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by low-fi
lol {postcount ++}

lol {ditto}
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
whats with the new font? ewww...

That was my initial reaction. Do this: System Preferences > General: set the font smoothing to 8 pt, and it looks alright again: the font hasn't changed, just the size.

Funny how used to anti-aliased text you get, eh?
post #40 of 109
So what AAC encoding will be best if I want the sound to be the same as the CD? I currently rip..oooh..I mean acquire...(come on good karma) MP3's at 192 and I think that they sound good.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 4