or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 4

iTunes 4 - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by bperkins
So what AAC encoding will be best if I want the sound to be the same as the CD? I currently rip..oooh..I mean acquire...(come on good karma) MP3's at 192 and I think that they sound good.

128 kbps AAC will probably sound about the same as 192 MP3s. Just try it and hear for yourself.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #42 of 109
I am assuming that all the music available in the new music store are all .mp4/AAC format only, correct?

At which point, my Rio becomes absolutely worthless without a firmware update.

Oh, also, I don't see the point of re-ripping all 2500+ songs of mine to .mp4. Wonderful, I get a few Kbps of improvement which I don't really hear as it is.

Meh 2 cents. It's great for the people who were looking forward to it. I think that such a music service could appeal to a large number of switchers out there.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #43 of 109
The default 128kps AAC has apparently come out as good as 192kps MP3 in blind tests, and certainly I wouldn't argue. That said, I've played with 96kps AACs and they still sounded pretty good, so I'm going to go and play with iTunes and see just how much I can get on my iPod right now...

Quote:
Originally posted by job
Oh, also, I don't see the point of re-ripping all 2500+ songs of mine to .mp4. Wonderful, I get a few Kbps of improvement which I don't really hear as it is.

That's not really the issue: AAC creates smaller files, so you can fit more in without having to sacrifice huge amounts of hard drive space.
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
post #44 of 109
so why don't QT and iTunes show up in software update. the only thing to download is iPod 1.3. And weirder than that, when I tried to DL iTunes from the website, the file that started DLing was iTunes 3.0.1.dmg 3!?!?! wtf, where's 4!?
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
post #45 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by SledgeHammer
so why don't QT and iTunes show up in software update. the only thing to download is iPod 1.3. And weirder than that, when I tried to DL iTunes from the website, the file that started DLing was iTunes 3.0.1.dmg 3!?!?! wtf, where's 4!?

I downloaded iTunes 4 for my iBook about 2 hours ago. I just came home to download it to my iMac and now it just downloads 3.0.1.. i dunno.....
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #46 of 109
I was at work, and the I downloaded iTunes 4, but it won't boot on my machine (10.2.5). I just got home, and now it's downloading 3.0.1. Hrmph.
post #47 of 109
Well applemusic will be selling them in 128 aka "high quality".
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... -TMBG
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... -TMBG
post #48 of 109
True, the blue icon was the best but Red would just be niiiiiiiice.

I looove the new font. Anti-aliased text hurts my eyes on a 12" PowerBook!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #49 of 109
Same here. I'm switching to Windows now. *slyly dives through window so as to avoid swinging door.*

Hmm I wonder if someone just goofed on the name of the file...bah.

Time to get QT 6.2 I suppose, they'll have it sorted out within the month.
post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Are you following the link from the front page? Dragged it straight down for me.

Try this link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
post #51 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Overhope
Are you following the link from the front page? Dragged it straight down for me.

Try this link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

that link downloads 3.0.1
post #52 of 109
same here... 3.0.1... bogus

i bet they noticed you could stream over IP beyond .local.
somehow i doubt that the RIAA would've OKd that.

i bet a revision is in the works.

now i need to dig the 4.0 installer out of the trash on my iBook and see if i can install it on my wife's machine.

post #53 of 109
Wow. I guess I'm lucky I got it.
post #54 of 109
Neither iTunes 4 nor QT 6.2 are downloading for me.

I am getting the iTunes 3.0.1 install from the above link.

QT 6.2 also does not appear in the software update (as of this post.)

Quote:
That's not really the issue: AAC creates smaller files, so you can fit more in without having to sacrifice huge amounts of hard drive space.

I can understand that.These updates don't really affect my use of my Mac all that much. I'm not buying an iPod, nor do I plan on using the new music service. I'm happy for all the people out there who have been waiting for new iPods and the like. With 100GB of total HD space, I'm not too concerned when it comes to my 12.3GB of mp3 compared to say, a hypothetical 10~9GB of .mp4.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #55 of 109
4.0 is gone. Can't see what rendezvous would have to do with anything. You can only see and play the music when the source is connected. You cannot download from the source. When the source is gone, so is the playlist.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #56 of 109
.... or maybe their online music server has crapped it's pants, so they're trying to limit people from accessing it while they try to fix.

i tried to use it (along w/ a few other hundred thousand people) and got nothing but 504 errors.

post #57 of 109
Anyone with a decent connection that can´t get iTunes or QT: Fire up iChat and go to AFTP and see the magic of legal filesharing...
post #58 of 109
I downloaded Quicktime 6.2, iTunes 4 and the iPod update from the Apple website. Shortly after, the iPod update appeared on the Software Update panel. Too late! Getting into the music store is difficult right now. I did notice that many full CDs are @ $9.99!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders the White
Anyone with a decent connection that can´t get iTunes or QT: Fire up iChat and go to AFTP and see the magic of legal filesharing...

Care to give us non-iChat users a more detailed explaination of how to "go to AFTP?"

Please?
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #60 of 109
Why isn't iTunes 4 in Software Update?
post #61 of 109
As of right now you can get 4.0 here:

http://appledownload.speedera.net/iT...uG/iTunes4.dmg
post #62 of 109
Fixed. iTunes4.dmg is downloading for me at the moment.
post #63 of 109
I am also just getting iTunes 3.0.1 when I click on the iTunes 4 link. How can I notify Apple about this? I thought perhaps there might be another place to get this from (such as the iDisk software section), but no such luck. I hope iTunes 4 is available again before the evening is out.

Matthew
post #64 of 109
I'll be the first with the conspiracy theory.

Apple pulled 4.0 for a while to raise the download count. I've already tried it 5 times. I'll bet others of you have tried it several times as well. That will look impressive tomorrow when they say iTunes has been download 40 bazillion times since the announcement of the Music Store.

Of course, I am only kidding. Can't wait to get 4.0.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #65 of 109
If only the cover art loaded when you popped in the cd like the song names....

Where is the best place to get cover art? Amazon?
post #66 of 109
The music store constantly give me errors (mainly 504). So far I have only been able to sample one song. I guess to many people are using the service.
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
post #67 of 109
Hmm, looks like too many downloads... QT 6.2 was on the Quicktime download page when I got it.

Back to the bitrate experimentation: I just ripped an AIFF of one of my own tracks at 96kps AAC and I listening back to back with both the AIFF and a 192kps MP3 of the same, I can't hear a blind bit of difference.

As a rough guide, MP3 at 192kps works out at around 1.2MB/minute of track, AAC at 128kps at 1MB/minute and AAC at 96kps at 0.7MB/minute.

Now I just have to work out how long it's going to take to rip all my CDs...
post #68 of 109
After reading Spart's post I tried it again. Make that 6 downloads (partial then cancel) of 3.01.

Until it's back on Apples site, i ain't playing. Maybe something is wrong with the first 4.0. Waiting for 4.0.1?
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Care to give us non-iChat users a more detailed explaination of how to "go to AFTP?"

Please?

If you don´t have iChat it would be pretty hard

But if are only an inexperienced iChat user you go file -> Go to chat and then write "AFTP" and hit return. I am on that channel and are giving the two files left and right at the moment.

Not really actually. Noone has asked for my service yet.
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by jante99
The music store constantly give me errors (mainly 504). So far I have only been able to sample one song. I guess to many people are using the service.

i got QT and iTunes 4 easily but i get 504 constnatly at the apple store, they better have it sorted out by 2night i watn to here samples of songs, i'll even maybe buy a couple cuz .99 is like an impulse buy haha
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #71 of 109
Not unheard of.

That said, the UK Download page just started pumping iTunes 4.dmg at me...
post #72 of 109
i can't get into the store i tried my imac account and it says but you've never been to the itunes store create new account. i create new account and it says no such email address or some such nonsense. i'm growing weary of this.
i'm going to acquisition.
post #73 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders the White
If you don´t have iChat it would be pretty hard

I've got iChat, but I never use it.

I'm getting iTunes 4 and I'll see you in iChat for QT 6.2

Thanks.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #74 of 109
Is the Music Store using Webcore to display html/xml store pages?

Cool.
post #75 of 109
iTunes 4.0 is back up.
post #76 of 109
Try and click on Window in the menu bar.

Press the right arrow, and it should normally go to Help, but it doesn't
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #77 of 109
Yes it does, but you have to arrow twice. Looks like a whole menu is missing.

Weird.
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Yes it does, but you have to arrow twice.

I know that, but that wasn't point!

The point is that there is a hidden menu.
JLL

JLL

post #79 of 109
Got 4.0. Woohoo!

Unless you log in you will get the error message. Unless you are already a one-click member (they have your credit card, address, etc on file) I don't think you will get to see the store. Please say if this is not true.

I got the error messages until I logged in (then had to create an account because my Apple ID used to be different, is now my .mac ID). All of my credit card info and address etc. were already filled out. This process just appears to be the way to merge your old ID with the new.

The music store is very simple. Everything is .99. This probably makes it easy as well for Apple, the Music companies and the artists to know what their percentages are.

If you have a fast connection, everything is instant on. Streams, selections, searches.

Don't go to the store if you ain't prepared to buy. It is dangerous in there! I will have to establish a budget in my house or this will get out of control in a hurry.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
Please say if this is not true.

I got on and I am not a .Mac user, nor do I have a 1-click account.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 4