or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes Music Store

iTunes Music Store - Page 2

post #41 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Since Apple is offering product legally, rights issues are a problem Don't blame Apple, blame the record companies in Europe. By the end of the year I'm sure the service will be available outside the U.S.

I hope your right, because now I'm REALLY feeling left out!!!
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #42 of 163
Quote:
Since Apple is offering product legally, rights issues are a problem Don't blame Apple, blame the record companies in Europe. By the end of the year I'm sure the service will be available outside the U.S.

I really don't think that this is true. I work for Sony Music (UK) and we basically do whatever Sony Music (US) tells us to do. I know that it is the same at Warner and Universal. I also find it very hard to believe that EMI and BMG would agree for the US, but not the rest of the world.

It is true that some artists are signed to different lables in different territories, but most will still be with one of the five majors. It should just be a case of having a big database of which artist is with which lable in which contry.

I am sorry, but the idea of the lables not playing ball is hard for me to swallow. As for why Apple has not included international, I don't know, but I sure as hell hope that it does not end up being another iPhoto prints. Whatever the reason, a lot of non-US Apple users are really, really pissed now...
G4 iBook + 40Gb iPod = Heaven
post #43 of 163
Actually, international distribution rights is tricky business. Have you used Audible? It's crap outside of the US.

But I do blame Apple. It's hard to deal with the rights issue, but not impossible. They should have had something to offer overseas users.
post #44 of 163
the music store keeps giving me errors!

mostly 504, it says the music store has made an error!

it wont let me do hardly anything
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #45 of 163
Can it be a bandwith/infrastructure/bugironouting issue. They'll test the music service in the US first to iron out bugs, improve infrastructure and get the whole thing too run as smoothly as possible before letting everybody in to the show. Possible.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #46 of 163
I still got Acquisition, so a big fingers up to Apple and the record companies for not supporting other countries. Looks good though!!

Grrrrr 4 no support outside of USA

and a big cheesy grin cos it looks damn good and am sure support will come soon
"It troolee iz a feersum endjinn"
"It troolee iz a feersum endjinn"
post #47 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
Can it be a bandwith/infrastructure/bugironouting issue. They'll test the music service in the US first to iron out bugs, improve infrastructure and get the whole thing too run as smoothly as possible before letting everybody in to the show. Possible.

I would love to believe that that was true, I really would. But when they say that it will be availiable to US Windoz users before mac users outside the US, I doubt it...

Please prove me wrong Apple!
post #48 of 163
This whole thing is really a litmus test which probably explains the limitation to the US for sales. The 5 labels also only have a 1-year contract with Apple for this. For all we know, they might just take the model if it works and run with it on their own after that.
post #49 of 163
Somethign someone forgot: If I were a pirate I would use iTunes to find the right songs (30 sec preview) and THEN get them via limewire.

But I am not a pirate...
post #50 of 163
True, but Apple isn't trying to lock out all pirating. They're just making it inconvenient enough (10 burns of a playlist -- how often do you burn the same playlist?) to ward off more overt pirating. After that, what kind of foolproof scheme is there?
post #51 of 163
I'm in the music biz. Rights issues are real. This is a new venture, give Apple some time to work the kinks out. If some can't wait, well that's the way it is I'm afraid.

By the way, is Apple adding sales tax to the downloads?
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #52 of 163
i'm surprised to see no one is complaining about the price. I guess $1 / song is what we expected, but it seems high to me. There should be a pricing structure something like:

$1 - one song
$3 - four songs
$10 - fifteen songs

i guess the $1 a song is good for people who listen to one song over and over, but I listen to albums, and I can buy an album for $13.50. Let's say that album were recovering the satellites by counting crows. I would save $0.50 by buying the cd at $13.50

If it were a ten song album, i'd save $3.50. Twelve songs is an average album, so say you save $1.50 by downloading. Uh, no thanks, I'll pay $1.50 for liner notes, plus i'll enjoy my compression-free cd.

In my opinion, apple screwed up big time with the price structure. Apple, of course, is just repeating itself (think cube et al): so close to getting it right, but not quite there.
post #53 of 163
Rumors are floating around that an album is $9.99, I can't confirm or deny that yet, but if true, wouldn't that help?
post #54 of 163
Quote:
In my opinion, apple screwed up big time with the price structure. Apple, of course, is just repeating itself (think cube et al): so close to getting it right, but not quite there.

Well, Apple seems to now want to increase market share so what better than making the perfect product then making its price so outragous its not worth it

EDIT: Just wanted to say before I get flammed that I`m just jokin around..
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #55 of 163
Elvis '56 CD is $9.99 for entire album. Music Store is slow right now but if you check you may find out similar deals on current product.
post #56 of 163
Ditto for Beck's Sea Change. 12 songs = $9.99

Call me cheap, but I think online "albums" should be half the price of a $15-$17 piece of plastic.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #57 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Rumors are floating around that an album is $9.99, I can't confirm or deny that yet, but if true, wouldn't that help?

It keeps timing out, but so far I checked 4 albums and they were all $9.99....but also every album had 12 tracks...hmmm
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #58 of 163
Just pulled up The Eminem Show which lists 20 tracks and its 9.99!

Nice!
post #59 of 163
i obviously haven't downloaded anything yet, or even iTunes 4 for that matter. How big is an average AAC file? Say, a 4-minute song.
post #60 of 163
Ok....found an album by Tom T. Hall (know idea who that is) but he's got a 2 disc set with 50 songs! Its 19.98 (9.99 per disc I would assume).

So it looks like it really is 9.99 per album. Wow
post #61 of 163
What's up with all this 'Partial Album' silliness?? Most of the albums I want are either 'By Song Only' or only have 1-3 songs available from the entire album!!
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #62 of 163
after some inital problems, the store seems to be working fine now...

i'm making my first album download right now, as a matter of fact...

this could become horrible addictive.
post #63 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
What's up with all this 'Partial Album' silliness?? Most of the albums I want are either 'By Song Only' or only have 1-3 songs available from the entire album!!

yeah, that bugs me a bit as well. just give it time i suppose...

overall, it's pretty sweet for a service that's all of 4 hours old
post #64 of 163
Most full albums I've seen are 9.99 (at least 10 songs). I saw one that was priced at 13.86 for 14 songs.
post #65 of 163
by buonrotto
Quote:
This whole thing is really a litmus test which probably explains the limitation to the US for sales. The 5 labels also only have a 1-year contract with Apple for this. For all we know, they might just take the model if it works and run with it on their own after that.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I would think they may want to take Apples cut for themselves if this pans out.

Beware all. The store is not a safe place to be. Extremely tempting during that 30 second stream to jump on that buy button.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #66 of 163
I'm pretty sure that songs are taxed based on a question it asked me during my account set up (do you live inside of the city or outside of the city? that's only ever asked of me for tax purposes) So now it's going to be more than 99 cents per song, it's going to be over $1 per song. Just a few cents more, but not as attractive.

And some albums are indeed over $9.99 - Kylie Minogue's latest album is $13.86 for 14 songs.
post #67 of 163
Quote:

No offence, but there speaks a non-european. I now have a Sherlock I can't find anything on, an iphoto i can't order prints on and a music service i can't download music from.
Jeez, steve, give us a break now and then.
My computer worked yesterday,
Today it isn't working.
Windows is like that.
My computer worked yesterday,
Today it isn't working.
Windows is like that.
post #68 of 163
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #69 of 163
Very Pissed off that the store doesnt work in Australia. I appreciate that their are laws but damm It pisses me off greatly!
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
post #70 of 163
double post, sry. see below
post #71 of 163

Here is a newspaper article from today's paper here in Rochester, NY. It was on the frontpage of the Democrat & Chronicle. Click on thumbnail of article for bigger picture to read from.
post #72 of 163
Quote:
No offence, but there speaks a non-european. I now have a Sherlock I can't find anything on, an iphoto i can't order prints on and a music service i can't download music from.

It has to do with the realities of the music business. It's not us vs. you. The fact that Apple got the 5 major labels to agree to this program is amazing. At the moment artists get different royalties based on country of origin. I would guess that when the music service is localized by country, perhaps then you'll be able to buy product... and some of the product will be more in tune with localized artists of the country of origin as well.
post #73 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by pesi
after some inital problems, the store seems to be working fine now...

i'm making my first album download right now, as a matter of fact...

this could become horrible addictive.

Tell me about it. Just been merrily clicking away - one song took about 15 seconds at most. One album, beautifully quick. Good-bye $20 in 5 mins.

That's incredible - Apple just made $6 off me. Here was I bitching about other charges such as .Mac - but this is such good business. Guess what - it's OK. It's great for me and good for them.
post #74 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by jimdad

not wanting to rub it in, but I'm currently happily living as an Englishman in New York!
post #75 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by jimdad

However, Sherlock sux IMHO - no great use for it. The airline schedules are never up to date, ebay is better on the website itself, movies are not that good especially as you can't buy tix for where you want to go, and the search I find to be annoying vague.

post #76 of 163
Quote:
not wanting to rub it in, but I'm currently happily living as an Englishman in New York!

Tawk about a fish out of wader!
post #77 of 163
Great servce all together but i searched for Guns N' Roses and their Live Era cd cost 19,98$. I previously bought it as a gift for my cousin for 15,99$

edit: No Red Hot Chili Peppers!?! WTF
post #78 of 163
Quote:
It has to do with the realities of the music business. It's not us vs. you. The fact that Apple got the 5 major labels to agree to this program is amazing. At the moment artists get different royalties based on country of origin. I would guess that when the music service is localized by country, perhaps then you'll be able to buy product... and some of the product will be more in tune with localized artists of the country of origin as well.

The localizations you are suggesting imply restrictions on the choice given to people living in different countries.

These are what the entertainment industry desires but in the globaly networked times we live have no right to exist. The Internet knows no borders. Altough the entertainment industry tries to create artificial ones - think of the Region Code on DVDs.

And, no offense, you sort of miss the point: It is not just the new music service. What sets most users outside the US up is the fact that recent services that represent the added value a Mac offers are simply unavailable. No online photo prints or book ordering out of iPhoto, hardly any Sherlok channels and as of yet no iTunes Music Store.

All of these were promised to be worked on - but nothing changed as of now. And it remains to be seen whether the music service will make its way out of the US and around the world - well at least most of it.

This is really frustating. And you wouldn't want to be treated as second class customer either, would you?
post #79 of 163
No matter how hard I try I can't seem to log in. I can't reach the music store customer support either. Can anyone help?
post #80 of 163
it works!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes Music Store