or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries? - Page 5

post #161 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
ooppssssssss, shouldn't that be on by default??

g

try this and tell me if it works....now i just have to clean up my iTunes and add some album titles...and download some of my favortie cds that i don't keep on my computer...

Sharing, open ports on your computer, should never be on by default.

Shut your windows, lock your gates.

post #162 of 366
I hope this works
I have Lots of music to share with the world.
let me know

this is at home through my airport when I get to work I'll post that IP..
flick
post #163 of 366
i am currently ripping some cd's to my iTunes...i am encoding in AAC at 160....are these part of my collection that you can stream also?? just did The Pixies Surfer Rosa...can you listen to bone machine?? and can you listen to stuff i got from the apple store...i downloaded the cd of sum41 (for the kids, i swear).....just wondering....

g

not getting you at this time flick....
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #164 of 366
Quote:
709...not working for me...but i may not be the best judge...i have gotten a few to work (murbot, jonathan and a couple of others)

Thanks g. I've got an ISP in my office building and they've just got me plugged me into one of their switches, so there might be some wierd firewall and/or IP address voodoo going on. Damn.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #165 of 366
ok, so now that others can see your iTunes...how many people are cleaning theirs up and adding songs you like and deleting songs you either didn't like or don't want anyone to know you like???

g

me i'm gonna be doing some cleaning, some adding and probably some hiding too....
post #166 of 366
Quote:
i am currently ripping some cd's to my iTunes...i am encoding in AAC at 160....are these part of my collection that you can stream also?? just did The Pixies Surfer Rosa...can you listen to bone machine?? and can you listen to stuff i got from the apple store...i downloaded the cd of sum41 (for the kids, i swear).....just wondering....

g

not getting you at this time flick....

We can't listen to your purchased songs without activating your account on our computers. I can listen to your pixies just fine though.
post #167 of 366
thegelding, you have a very odd collection of music. But I'm not one to talk...
post #168 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Flick Justice
I hope this works
I have Lots of music to share with the world.
let me know

this is at home through my airport when I get to work I'll post that IP..
flick

Flick...can you help me share. I have no clue how to set this up and would love to share.
post #169 of 366
Quote:
thegelding, you have a very odd collection of music. But I'm not one to talk..

comes with being 41...raised on bob dylan, the beatles, joni mitchell, the stones....then moving on to punk in the seventies....new wave in the 80's....then trying to forget the 90's....and then having kids who listen to good charlotte and the used and such....though i usually like my kids music also...pop punk ain't bad....elvis costello was always one of my favorites and i don't think i have him on my iTunes...one day i have to reopen toast and download my several hunder lps
g
post #170 of 366
Quote:
comes with being 41...raised on bob dylan, the beatles, joni mitchell, the stones....then moving on to punk in the seventies....new wave in the 80's....then trying to forget the 90's....and then having kids who listen to good charlotte and the used and such....though i usually like my kids music also...pop punk ain't bad....elvis costello was always one of my favorites and i don't think i have him on my iTunes...one day i have to reopen toast and download my several hunder lps
g

I figured it was something like that. I'm not one for pop-punk, but I hear you on the Elvis Costello, I don't have any either. I can't help but wonder who's looking at what I listen to, and wondering why I have such a wide spectrum of music. I'm pretty sure that when people connect to my Library they start scrolling going "What the f.. ..."
post #171 of 366
I am listening to your librart now. Its almost too easy!
post #172 of 366
iBrowse....2 live crew???

though Curl up and Die was interesting to hear

and rich kids on lsd (great name) is trying hard to be the dead kennedys

i have to throw london calling and 77 on my iTunes...and some costello and some ornette coleman and some...oh hell...gotta download all my shit now...

g

i will be singing "scab on my brain" all night now

i will look for my Big Boys cd.....you might like them....

edit...found it...go listen,
post #173 of 366
Quote:
iBrowse....2 live crew???

Haha, told ya.

Quote:
i will be singing "scab on my brain" all night now

If my memory serves me correctly, aren't the only lyrics in that song 'scab on my brain'? haha

I am fearing that if this turns into too much of a 'Internet Radio' type thing there may be some kinda of restriction imposed on it. Because it's not stealing because you don't get to keep anything, and it has already helped me decide on two albums I thought about buying before, that now I will. But, it's not just like listening to the radio because you can decide what song you want to listen to, when, and how many times. It's a stretch, but for this to not bother the recordind industry the slightest bit would really surprise me. I know it's not stealing, and I'm not using it to steal, but I'm thinking like the music industry. Uh god, I'm thinking like the music industry...
post #174 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
I am fearing that if this turns into too much of a 'Internet Radio' type thing there may be some kinda of restriction imposed on it. Because it's not stealing because you don't get to keep anything, and it has already helped me decide on two albums I thought about buying before, that now I will. But, it's not just like listening to the radio because you can decide what song you want to listen to, when, and how many times. It's a stretch, but for this to not bother the recordind industry the slightest bit would really surprise me. I know it's not stealing, and I'm not using it to steal, but I'm thinking like the music industry. Uh god, I'm thinking like the music industry...

At the very least, our ISPs are going to be ticked. But, whatever, I'm enjoying it nonetheless. There was some ruling a while back that recording companies could collect like .14¢ per song, per listener from internet radio stations. At least that's what I remember. I'll see if I can find it.

edit2: it was actually 14/100¢. Still it could add up.
post #175 of 366
yes, i was thinking (she don't want a baby that looks like that, i don't want a baby that looks like that---bodies--sex pistols--from iBrowse's itunes)....that if you have enough IP addresses you will never need to buy anything...sure you will never own it, but you can get to it and listen to it almost anytime...every song ever made will be available somewhere sometime....like i said before, a huge musical hive mind.....strange to see...i will always buy music, and lots of it...but i worry about the youth today that sees FREE and finds it hard to resist...

g

were this could be great is in finding out of print stuff....i only used napster to find stuff that was no longer for sale...this is the same...i could hopefully find albums that have fallen out of print...i know i have tons of those myself
post #176 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
I am fearing that if this turns into too much of a 'Internet Radio' type thing there may be some kinda of restriction imposed on it.

Yeah I noticed that SJ hasn't really talked about sharing over IP, just over local networks with Rendezvous. But the fact that you can't share iTunes-store-purchased music is a hint that they were aware of this streaming issue.
post #177 of 366
That's what I was thinking, as new music comes out, a few people would buy it, a few more download it from somewhere, and then it'd spread and there'd be a network of people's listening to it. It'd save somebody the trouble of actually stealing it themselves if they knew of a few different places to listen to it. I mean, yeah, you couldn't burn it to listen to in your car or anything, but still having it on somebody else's computer whenever you want could come pretty close to piracy. I need to have the discs though, I have a stack of vinyl I can't even listen to until I find another record player, but I love music.

I'm liking this Big Boys though, how hard/easy are they to find in a record store? I've never heard of them, but if I could find them at FYE or somewhere similar I'd definitely want to check them out more.
post #178 of 366
big boys were from the early 80's....they have a couple of cd's that were re-released collections of ep's and lp's....let me look around....

here

or here if you like amazon

and here at best buy too ...not sure you can find it at a local store...

g

next check out The Birthday Party (a young nick cave...not punk, but scary stuff) or The Pixies' Surfer Rosa
post #179 of 366
Yeah, that Pixies record rules. My least favorite thing about this iTunes sharing is the part where I go to bed (I wish I could convince my girlfriend's mom that letting my computer go to sleep won't waste electric or raise her bill to much, but I don't pay rent, a few bills, but no rent. So I can't complain) But I hate checking right before I shut down and seeing that somebody's connected to iTunes. Sorry anybody

(Damn Apple's innovation, I never get more than 4 hours of sleep before I have to get up for class. It's just too fun to be awake)
post #180 of 366
if i put my iMac to sleep, you can still access my iTunes?? that would be cool as i am putting mine to sleep very soon

g
post #181 of 366
Quote:
if i put my iMac to sleep, you can still access my iTunes?? that would be cool as i am putting mine to sleep very soon

g

No, but you could just put the screen to sleep and that would allow us to keep listening to your music.
post #182 of 366
okey dokey

g
post #183 of 366
sorry boys...my screen won't stay asleep...one of you bastards keeps waking it up

so i am heading to la la land....and so is thegelding's computer

g
post #184 of 366
Question for y'all: I want to have my firewall turned on, but if it's on my music isn't available to others (at least not via Rendezvous, that's all I have confirmation of). How do I set up the firewall to allow iTunes sharing? (over Rendezvous and IP)
Oh, that reminds me, if you load up my library, you'll notice it's called Rendezvous's Music. I actually had the nickname Rendezvous and was using it as my computer's name before Apple ever announced their networking technology. It derives from my last name. Just so's y'all know that. Cause I can see where that might strike some people as a but odd.
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
post #185 of 366
Check it out. RendezWho

A Konfab .widget to display a list of all users connected to your iTunes4 Library.

Quote:
RendezWho is a widget designed to let you see at a glance who is accessing your iTunes 4 music library via Rendezvous. It displays all connected users, either by their IP address, host name, or iTunes library name (if any).

Linky.

post #186 of 366
post #187 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
So you only sort of read my posts about how to do this, eh? I said you wouldn't be able to access your music locally this way, but the outside world would. It's really complicated to explain why a computer on your local network can't use your IP address to connect and you could get around it if you had the patience to set up your own DNS server but that's complete overkill. You other computers oughta be able to access it by using your computer's rendezvous name (seen in the sharing tab).

i read it pretty carefully but I screwed something up on my end. Everything is working great now. Thanks again your the only person that I found that posted the information I needed.
post #188 of 366
Is there a way to "bookmark" shared libraries of other users so I don't have to remember all of the different IP addresses?
post #189 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Doesn't work... 12:00am
post #190 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by serrano
You gave Walk this Way 5 stars.

Thanks for the Dylan though.

i have no excuse for my incompetence. i humbly apologize for the aerosmith. actually, i think i turned off most aerosmith, cuz i cant stand them anymore. i'm surprised that one slipped through the cracks.

and if your into dylan, you should really checkout Dimestore Medicine. its a really fantastic album. many of the songs are just inspiring, and some are only half done, but its really great stuff. Some of the tracks are just like other songs he's done, but with slight lyric changes, and alternate titles. Also, theres a pretty funny interview tied onto the end of one of the long tracks on that album.

-

also, i am ashamed for the AI community. i checked out several of your libraries yesterday, and I couldn't find any Grateful Dead. have you people been living in some kind of box? was it cardboard?
for shame!
post #191 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by SteinKoBe88
Is there a way to "bookmark" shared libraries of other users so I don't have to remember all of the different IP addresses?

So far you can use my vCards.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...Sharing16.html
post #192 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by thuh Freak
*snip*
i am ashamed for the AI community. i checked out several of your libraries yesterday, and I couldn't find any Grateful Dead. have you people been living in some kind of box? was it cardboard?
for shame!

I've got All of American Beauty and Best of Skeletons From the Closet. I have a Grateful Dead mix CD that maybe I'll rip, I've kind of been meaningto do that anyway. I also have a recording of the Other Ones concert I went to in Philly in November, but that's on 3 CD's so I don't know if I'll be ripping that, I'll think about it though. My Library link is in my sig.
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
post #193 of 366
ps...thegelding iTunes will be up everynight from 7pm to midnight (mountain time)...other than that, it will be hit or miss (just like my song list)....will try to add at least a cd or two each day till i get all 5 or 6 hundred in (plus the couple of hundred of the kids and holiday music that i don't consider part of MY collection...hell the kids could pass me up in ownership in a couple of years if i don't pay attention)...when i get them all in, boy will that be an all over the place iTunes collection (Jazz, Blues, Pop, Punk, Rock....basically everything except country....hell i guess i have that too with george jones and hank williams sr and patsy cline and such...just no real modern or pop country)

g

i will load a bunch while working on an iMovie project...brad is teaching me the fine art of multi-tasking the whole, "teaching a very old dog new tricks" theme...but when i iChat, listen and load tunes, work on an iMovie and surf the web trying to keep up with AI rumours and such, boy does my head hurt...and now i also have to check the applemusic site each day to see what new cds they have added....it is gonna feel like i have a tumor in my melon soon...

going in tonight:

Van Morrison--Moondance
Parliament--The Clones of Dr, Funkenstein
John Hiatt--Slugline
Meat Puppets ll
The Beatles--Past Masters vol 2
Thelonious Monk--Alone in San Fransicso
The Clash--London Calling (the best punk album ever)
Art Blakey--Jazz Messengers
Abba--Gold
Elvis Costello--Girls Girls Girls
Miles Davis--Bitches Brew
The Beatles--Revolver (maybe the best album ever)
Elvis Costello--Get Happy
Thelonious Monk--The best of the blue note years
Freedy Johnson--Perfect World
Garbage--Version 2.0

these are just some i keep at work that i am taking back home to load into iTunes

if i do this many each night i might get done in a month or two

then it is the vinyl lps to do next, but that is more cumbersome at the stereo is in the living room and the computer is in the computer room....guess i could lug my iMac into the living room for a week or two...maybe i should put in for some time off work...

g

any request for future adding to my tunes??
post #194 of 366
Someone recommended notifying someone via iChat if you are browsing they're tunes. Any good ways to identify iChat identities?
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
post #195 of 366
proud resident of a failed state
post #196 of 366
g'rat!!! good to see you...will look at your tunes tonight....how are things in austin?? getting ready for summer break??

g
post #197 of 366
"break".

I'll be working over the summer, unfortunately.
post #198 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth
Doesn't work... 12:00am

Fixed it. Seeming to stall and rebuffer for other people constantly though...
post #199 of 366
Has onyone got this to work with thier airport?
again, my IP is: 68.147.41.74

I have over 20gigs ready to share..
I hope to get this working so everyone can enjoy this huge source of hand picked hits.
flick.
oh chic4mac I'm not even sure if I have this working yet.. I'll keep you posted.
post #200 of 366
FLick, I would need step by step instructions on how to share. I don't have any airport card..assuming I don't need that. Just a DSL connection, a linksys router that networks to macs (imac 500 and emac 700)

if you want to tell me how to share music, I would gladly take your 20 gigs, and you can have my 2
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?