or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries? - Page 8

post #281 of 366
Paul: the music in on an old G3 server (beige with 2*80Gb and 2*120Gb... :-)) that is hidden inside a closet. All music is played over the network, so all playlists and recently played listings are on the local Macs. Rendezvous is a godsent for this setup - never again maintaining multiple libraries or see them crash when opened over the network...

thegelding: I'm a neat-freak regarding the MP3 collection. ID3X is my closest friend - everything is checked before adding to the library. I'd hate to 'lose' songs because of bad categorization. Don't worry though - my desk is a mess most of the time...

Your age theory, interesting as it is, is failing on me - I'm 'only' 33. I just like good music I guess - or am I giving away too many clues to deep dark secrets already... ;-)
post #282 of 366
Hmmm... Progmac: your URL is giving way too many clues ...
post #283 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by RBM
Hmmm... Progmac: your URL is giving way too many clues ...

damn, good point. i forgot about the web page actually associated with it
post #284 of 366
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #285 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by RBM
Paul: the music in on an old G3 server (beige with 2*80Gb and 2*120Gb... :-)) that is hidden inside a closet. All music is played over the network, so all playlists and recently played listings are on the local Macs. Rendezvous is a godsent for this setup - never again maintaining multiple libraries or see them crash when opened over the network...

thegelding: I'm a neat-freak regarding the MP3 collection. ID3X is my closest friend - everything is checked before adding to the library. I'd hate to 'lose' songs because of bad categorization. Don't worry though - my desk is a mess most of the time...

Your age theory, interesting as it is, is failing on me - I'm 'only' 33. I just like good music I guess - or am I giving away too many clues to deep dark secrets already... ;-)

When I ripp CD (for long term storage meaning using my mom's iMac, due to my Beige G3 giving pop and hises) the problem for me is, I am legally blind, and need someone to double check the info.

Now the fun part doing seperate Artist and Composer. also finding the year would be useful too.
Quote:
Get busy living or get busy dying--Stephen King
Quote:
post #286 of 366
I'll add to the greatness of this with my collection. I challenge everyone not to find something they like!

daap://ajj.dyndns.org

Only have 512 cable, so it may choke...ICQ me if it does.
post #287 of 366
sorry, my collection is going away for the day...
be back around 6ish...
if you are sharing PLEASE send me an IM so i can let you know when it goes away...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #288 of 366
should be back up, anyone want to test?
post #289 of 366
yeah, paul, your up...

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #290 of 366
Here's mine. All over the board, but heavy on R&B, pre-1996 hip hop (I feel like it more or less died after that point), rare groove, originals to stuff sampled in R&B/hip hop songs, and the like. Some jazz, a little blues, and some token rock here and there.

daap://www.BasementMusic.com

I'll keep it up 24/7, since I keep my music on my Cube anyway, which runs OS X Server and does a variety of helpful household tasks for me.

There's a little over 3,100 songs in there right now, and I'm still ripping more when I have the time. And the connection's a pretty fat upstream for a consumer broadband connection, thanks to the great (so far) Optimum Online.

Dig.
post #291 of 366
Could someone test and see if I did it right? I am dandbj13. I am third or fourth from the top. It is a great idea and I want to share so feedback would be appreciated.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #292 of 366
Address: skulski.ath.cx
Password: appa

Mostly metal and rock.
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
post #293 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by CommonSense
Here's mine. All over the board, but heavy on R&B, pre-1996 hip hop (I feel like it more or less died after that point), rare groove, originals to stuff sampled in R&B/hip hop songs, and the like. Some jazz, a little blues, and some token rock here and there.

daap://www.BasementMusic.com

I'll keep it up 24/7, since I keep my music on my Cube anyway, which runs OS X Server and does a variety of helpful household tasks for me.

There's a little over 3,100 songs in there right now, and I'm still ripping more when I have the time. And the connection's a pretty fat upstream for a consumer broadband connection, thanks to the great (so far) Optimum Online.

Dig.

Dude! Your collection f-in RULES man! Thanks for putting it up...this is great. Check out my stuff you'll probably like it. As far as hip-hop dyin after 1996...there is some great stuff out there now, just gotta look.
post #294 of 366
post #295 of 366
I wrote a detailed article on How to Share your iTunes Library over the Internet for anyone needing to know how to share your iTunes library.
Quote:
Quote:
post #296 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerWoods99
Dude! Your collection f-in RULES man! Thanks for putting it up...this is great. Check out my stuff you'll probably like it. As far as hip-hop dyin after 1996...there is some great stuff out there now, just gotta look.

Thank you, sir. I knew most people on here wouldn't be that into it, but that those who were probably *really* would be into it.

I know there's been some good hip hop after 1996, but that also was the year I graduated college and no longer had the time to really seek it out. I used to play the stuff on the radio (my show was also called "Basement Music," hence my registering the domain name years ago, just in case there was ever a resurrection), but now it's just . . . a pain in the ass to keep up, almost.

I tried connecting to your share but couldn't. New IP address now? Or do you need to open port 3689?

BTW, I'm on iChat/AIM as XomSense.
post #297 of 366
Hmm...yea I guess it isnt working then....I had a few users connected on it so I thought maybe the IP worked fine but it might just be people on our network that accessed mine. Probably our school's (university) firewall that is preventing me from sharing my stuff. Anyone got ideas on how I can get through it to share my iTunes library? Would port 3689 work for me?
post #298 of 366
ok, after a weekend away I'm back.
Enjoy 20 gigs of music.
daap://142.173.146.68
Im me if you going to start listening.
msn <bryan@adjectivegroup.com>
flick.
post #299 of 366
Just before Apple pulled it from the discussions fora, there was a thread about a small application (iTunesdl) and with that application you can connect to a music library and download all the songs to your HD (I tested it, it works). info [perl.org], my upstream at this moment with 2 iTunes clients (without any other uploads) is +/- 400KB/s. I'm curious what Apple is going to do with this..
post #300 of 366
iTunes library is now a field in your profile; for your pleasure.
post #301 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by papilio
I'm curious what Apple is going to do with this..

There will be a "security update". Some traffic will be encrypted (the session id or a newly added challenge string for client authentication, maybe some parts of the mp3 or just the whole traffic. it's not that nobody has ever done secure client/server apps before...) They should have done that right from the beginning.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I first saw the http traffic last week... Took me about an hour to write an experimental perl script that lets you browse other people's database(s) and download selected item ids.

I just hope they don't pull the feature, but then again, it's fun but for how long, a week?
post #302 of 366
Over at MacSwitchersGuide.com the forums have an option to put your iTunes address in your profile and the link for it is right next to the E-Mail and Private Message buttons above your every post. It's really neat.
post #303 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan

for VB admins, How do you display the new profile field in the postbit template?
Quote:
Quote:
post #304 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan

make it clickable!!!
post #305 of 366
Here is an applescript that uses iChatStatus to give out your IP, AFP status and iTunes status/song to your friends...

Code:

set myAFP to do shell script "ps auxc | grep AppleFileServer | awk '{print $6}'"

if myAFP is not "" then

set myAFP to " AFP: "

else

set myAFP to ""

end if

tell application "System Events"
if ((application processes whose (name is equal to "iTunes")) count) is greater than 0 then

tell application "iTunes"
if player state is playing then
set the_artist to artist of current track
set the_song to name of current track
if the_artist is not missing value then
set MyTunes to the_artist & " - " & the_song
else
set MyTunes to the_song
end if
else if player state is paused then
set MyTunes to "Paused"
else if player state is stopped then
set MyTunes to "Quiet"
end if
end tell

end if

end tell

set myIP to do shell script "ifconfig | grep 'broadcast' | awk '{print $6}'"

-- Comment out the above and uncomment to below if you are on an intranet or behind an Airport Basestation
-- set myIP to characters 1 thru -2 of (words 31 thru 32 of ¬
-- ((do shell script "curl http://checkip.dyndns.org/") as international text) as text) as text

if ((application processes whose (name is equal to "iTunes")) count) is greater than 0 then

return "IP: " & myIP & myAFP & " iTunes: " & MyTunes
else
return "IP: " & myIP & myAFP
end if
end tell

http://www.ipodnews.com/ - updated every 15 minutes - the ipod is the computer
post #306 of 366
Yowzers! Could you possibly link that to a text file?
post #307 of 366
Here's me: 192.168.0.2

How do you make the IP address clickable?
post #308 of 366
I don't want to do that, because scripts can do bad things...

Open the Script Editor, paste it in and save it where the rest of your iChatStatus scripts reside

I've updated it to actually check if your iTunes sharing is on, rather than just if itunes is on.

Code:

set myAFP to do shell script "ps auxc | grep AppleFileServer | awk '{print $6}'"

if myAFP is not "" then
set myAFP to " AFP: "
else
set myAFP to ""
end if

set myiTunesShare to do shell script "lsof | grep :3689 | awk '{print $1}'"

if myiTunesShare is not "" then
set myiTunesShare to " iTunes Sharing: "
else
set myiTunesShare to ""
end if

set myIP to do shell script "ifconfig | grep 'broadcast' | awk '{print $6}'"

return "IP: " & myIP & myAFP & myiTunesShare
end tell

post #309 of 366
Doo Rags awesome, I know them....

Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
I'm assuming by the outpouring of responses to my earlier request that people are conecting to my iTunes, looking around and saying, "Good God! This guy has horrid taste in music. Who the hell is Doo Rag? I don't even want to know if it streams or not." Well, sucks to your assmar.
post #310 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by nystrom
Here's me: 192.168.0.2

How do you make the IP address clickable?

your iTunes Library
but that looks like a generic address to me...
press the reply button for this post to see how to make it clickable...
post #311 of 366
Yes people, a quick reminder. The following (ranges of) IP addresses are NOT valid outside your home/business (because they belong to a local network):

10.0.0.0 -> 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 -> 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.255.255

If you think your IP address is in one of these ranges, fear not, you'll be able to see your REAL IP address here.
post #312 of 366
All very cool! Anyone want to know if they get get to my music (this IP should work until about 4 PM Eastern):

post #313 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
All very cool! Anyone want to know if they get get to my music (this IP should work until about 4 PM Eastern):

It's alive!
"Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches."
"Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches."
post #314 of 366
not sure if I set everything up ok or not, but if i did....

silence.dnsalias.com
password:ai

sharing 116GB... but don't get excited, my upstream is slow.
Every smile's a trial thought in beguile to hurt me ... Michael Jackson (Heartbreak Hotel)
Every smile's a trial thought in beguile to hurt me ... Michael Jackson (Heartbreak Hotel)
post #315 of 366
198.82.99.93, please tell me if it works or not.

I have 3405 songs in total, with pretty much every type of music you can think of except for classical. Focused mainly on non-mainstream groups, with lots of hip hop, electronic/acid jazz, trance, techno, and alt. rock. Also some blues/jazz, reggae, scratch, country, industrial/metal, and world music. Mostly recent, some oldies scattered around. It's organized by song name, artist, genre, and rating only; everything else is spotty at best but I've been very meticulous with those 4 tags. I was quite proud of my collection until I saw some of the others on here, I'll be listening to these ones for a while.

edit: I'm having trouble connecting to anybody's libraries. I'm on a T1 at the college, not sure why there would be a problem. They probly have some sort of defense set up to keep this kinda thing from happening, oh well.
post #316 of 366
I'm having trouble connecting to other people's libraries. I'm on a cable connection, behind a router.

I did forward port 3689 so that other people can connect to my library, so I want to be able to do the same thing the other way around.

Do anyone know the port range that iTunes uses for library sharing? I think it's somewhere in the 20000's.
post #317 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by hotboxd
198.82.99.93, please tell me if it works or not.

Oh it is working. Nice collection. Digable Planets....hell yeah. Good stuff.
post #318 of 366
I know a couple of you managed to connect to my itunes library (silence.dnsalias.com pw:ai), if any of you are out there, please let me know how the experience was... was it horrible with tons of rebuffering? Probably better to pm me so as not to clutter up the thread, but that's up to you.

If it's worthwhile, I'll be more inclined to leave it up, but if it's a terrible experience I may as well not bother. Thanks in advance.
post #319 of 366
This is one of the coolest features I have seen in the four short months since switching...my IP is 24.168.0.207 (it should be pretty static, as I haven't turned my router off yet this year) for anyone that is interested. Computer is usually up between 7pm and 1am EST (weeknights at least). Have about 4gb of DJ sets (mainly house and techno) and another 6gb or so of other stuff ranging from dub to Japanese noisecore...something for everyone...
post #320 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by bperkins
Oh it is working. Nice collection. Digable Planets....hell yeah. Good stuff.

I'll second that - great selection from hotboxd...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?