or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries? - Page 9

post #321 of 366
Awww, gee guys. 8)

This thread really should be a sticky, maybe even a permanent part of the AppleInsider website. Maybe some sort of list with people's names and general library info that want to be a part of it. Don't know how non-static IP's would be handled though, someone more familiar with these things wanna chime in?
post #322 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by hotboxd
Don't know how non-static IP's would be handled though, someone more familiar with these things wanna chime in?

Those with non static IPs could consider going to www.dyndns.org/ or similar. Get a domain alias and run a program on your computer to keep it auto-updated with your changing IP. It's fairly painless to do...
Every smile's a trial thought in beguile to hurt me ... Michael Jackson (Heartbreak Hotel)
Every smile's a trial thought in beguile to hurt me ... Michael Jackson (Heartbreak Hotel)
post #323 of 366
Man you sleep late - you obviously are not a farmer.
RF
RF
post #324 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by hotboxd
This thread really should be a sticky, maybe even a permanent part of the AppleInsider website. Maybe some sort of list with people's names and general library info that want to be a part of it.

check people's profiles for an "iTunes Music Library address"
(I only wish they made it clickable )
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #325 of 366
Ok, Please let me know if this sucker Works:
daap://142.173.146.68
I have over 20gigs, 13.5 days worth of music thats right, I have something for every one.
again please let me know.
flick.
post #326 of 366
Really loved it, was disappointed you went off last night - wasn't slow at all! Please put it up again!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeafeningSilence
I know a couple of you managed to connect to my itunes library (silence.dnsalias.com pw:ai), if any of you are out there, please let me know how the experience was... was it horrible with tons of rebuffering? Probably better to pm me so as not to clutter up the thread, but that's up to you.

If it's worthwhile, I'll be more inclined to leave it up, but if it's a terrible experience I may as well not bother. Thanks in advance.
http://www.ipodnews.com/ - updated every 15 minutes - the ipod is the computer
http://www.ipodnews.com/ - updated every 15 minutes - the ipod is the computer
post #327 of 366
Here's today's IP:

And a question as well: next week I should be getting DSL at home. My provider has a 10 Gig download/5 Gig upload limit per month. How, if at all, does streaming play into this?
post #328 of 366

A newbie testing. A confirmation that it works would be greatly appreciated. Can I somehow 'see' whether somebody is streaming from my library.

Many thanks,
DirkS
DirkS
post #329 of 366
Feel free to share mine, on a scale from 1 to awesome, my music library is super-great. Plus, URI is picking up the tab for bandwith. 131.128.143.236
Worst...Signature...Ever
Worst...Signature...Ever
post #330 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by DirkS

A newbie testing. A confirmation that it works would be greatly appreciated. Can I somehow 'see' whether somebody is streaming from my library.

Many thanks,

Sorry, can't seem to connect (and I can get other addresses to work).

Yes, you can see if anyone is connected: the number of users shows up in under "Preferences->Sharing"
post #331 of 366
Gabid - Many thanks! I will keep trying (and reading). I am on a Dutch cable network and inhome on AirPort. I am still not sure on the firewall settings.

Thanks again,

DirkS
DirkS
DirkS
post #332 of 366
Quote:
Gabid - Many thanks! I will keep trying (and reading). I am on a Dutch cable network and inhome on AirPort. I am still not sure on the firewall settings.

Thanks again,

DirkS

No problem! I'm far from being a network wiz so I'm afraid I don't have any port or firewall advice to share, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you along.

Good luck! I'll be sure to try again when you post anew.
post #333 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by serrano

Code:

[iBook:~] serrano% lsof | grep mp3
java 2361 serrano 19r VREG 14,2 2549632 1030507 / -- Buddy Holly.mp3
java 2361 serrano 34r VREG 14,2 2895872 1030282 / -- Unknown Album/Penny Lane.mp3
java 2361 serrano 51r VREG 14,2 4380544 1029439 / -- Come As You Are.mp3
java 2361 serrano 55r VREG 14,2 4335616 1028939 / -- Died In Your Arms Tonight.mp3
java 2361 serrano 63r VREG 14,2 5412056 1028548 / -- 21 Questions.mp3

What's worse? That I have Died In Your Arms Tonight? Or that someone is listening to it?

How do you find out who is listening to what? and who is listing <with out konfabulator>?
flick.
post #334 of 366
Open Terminal and type: lsof | grep mp3
Replace mp3 with m4a for AAC files.
post #335 of 366
Do you get a message of any kind if you can't connect to someone's library? I haven't been able to connect to anyones library in a couple of days, I just get the shared music thingy saying 'connecting to shared music' then it disappears. No message, nothing. Any ideas as to what the eff is going on?
post #336 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
Do you get a message of any kind if you can't connect to someone's library? I haven't been able to connect to anyones library in a couple of days, I just get the shared music thingy saying 'connecting to shared music' then it disappears. No message, nothing. Any ideas as to what the eff is going on?

In my case I've got some type of message each time I can't connect. Sometimes its instant, other times I see the 'connecting to shared music' dialogue before I get some other type of message.
post #337 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
In my case I've got some type of message each time I can't connect. Sometimes its instant, other times I see the 'connecting to shared music' dialogue before I get some other type of message.

I used to get those messages as well. I just tried to connect to you and the same thing happened. It said 'connecting to server...' then it disappeared.
post #338 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Atomic Media Fonts
Really loved it, was disappointed you went off last night - wasn't slow at all! Please put it up again!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Everyone, my music is up again, for the time being I should be up almost daily from noon to at least midnight PST... Unless my ISP sends me a nasty note, which they've done before Anyone who decides to stay and listen awhile, please PM me, just so I know who's who...

Cheers!
post #339 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
Open Terminal and type: lsof | grep mp3

hmmm, that doesn't work for me... the only output i get is:

iTunes 1638 silence 18r VREG 14,8 5067431 19733 /Volumes/mp3 (/dev/disk1s2)

Is it because my music is on an external hard drive? Hrmmm....
post #340 of 366
OMG..who ever had Lewis Black and Pablo Fransico, I cannot find you again. I am at work..and really need the laugh. I was in a hurry to make a deadline and did not write the IP down. If you can find it in you..can you pretty please put it back up for me???

Thanks!
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #341 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by DeafeningSilence
Is it because my music is on an external hard drive? Hrmmm....

No.

lsof's job is:
OPTIONS
In the absence of any options, lsof lists all open files
belonging to all active processes.
(from "man lsof")

grep is searching the list of _all_ open files for "mp3". Maybe some of your music doesn't have filename extensions? Or it's some other format leading to a different name?
post #342 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevyn
grep is searching the list of _all_ open files for "mp3". Maybe some of your music doesn't have filename extensions? Or it's some other format leading to a different name?

All my files have extensions, and it's working now so apparently I just presumed activity when it wasn't there... Thanks for chiming in, I'm Terminal-Stupid, so I appreciate any help I can get
post #343 of 366
I'm trying again to share: 62.163.181.138. Appreciate the response!!
DirkS
DirkS
post #344 of 366
Quote:
I'm trying again to share: 62.163.181.138. Appreciate the response!!

No such luck. Anyone got a "how to" for port forwarding on an Airport Basestation. I want to share my music but I need to forward the port first, I think.

A@ron
post #345 of 366
I might have found 'how to'. I truly hope so: 62.163.181.138

It's in another thread (Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?) and posted by torifile. I have done it, and sure hope it works. Again, confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, also to torifile!! _
DirkS
DirkS
post #346 of 366
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
see page 2 for a 'how to'
anyone want to share indeed
post #347 of 366
Quote:
I might have found 'how to'. I truly hope so: 62.163.181.138
Again, confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

i was able to connect just fine
post #348 of 366
I've got four people on my library right now... it was five earlier. Unless most of them are idling, they've all got to be getting lousy performance since even on broadband I can only upload a max of 256Kbits/sec.

Rebuffering... Rebuffering... Rebuffering...

It would be nice if I could set a limit lower than the built-in max of 5 people sharing my library. Like, oh, I dunno... 1? Of course, over a home network 5'll work just fine.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #349 of 366
bump
post #350 of 366
is there any way to find out if people are stealing your music rather then just listening to it?
post #351 of 366
good question paul...since iSuck has come out i have been thinking of adding a password to my iTunes...i haven't yet just because i haven't been on iTunes as much lately...

how many have added password protection to their iTunes library since iSuck and the others have cropped up??

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #352 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
good question paul...since iSuck has come out i have been thinking of adding a password to my iTunes...i haven't yet just because i haven't been on iTunes as much lately...

how many have added password protection to their iTunes library since iSuck and the others have cropped up??

g

Not telling anyone that I condone the actions of people or that I use these programs like iSuck. However, there is no way to fully protect your iTunes shares that are on the net unless you use www.shareitunes.com, because they hide your ip address (but it can still be found through sniffing traffic). Adding a password will do nothing but keep the newbies out that are using iSuck or iLeech. There are different programs that will allow you to enter a password and will do the same as iSuck, in fact you can even use the perl scripts if you really wanted to. If you are worried about people stealing your music without your knowledge it's very simple. Either don't share it on the internet period or just give a few friends the ip and not post it anywhere like serverstore.

A@ron
post #353 of 366
i added one...
post #354 of 366
I too shut down my sharing-but it's back up and password protected. Look down for password. Whoppee!
post #355 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
is there any way to find out if people are stealing your music rather then just listening to it?

The thing is, there's no difference from your perspective.

At the user end, the user is playing the MP3 from your computer while it is downloading. In one senario (what you call "listening") they are not saving the data to their HDD while it is downloading. In the other senario, they are saving it.

You can't tell what they're doing, because from your computer's perspective there's no difference.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #356 of 366
well... i guess there IS a difference... because now it is shutdown...

torrifile can you edit out my IP from your post?
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...504#post348504
post #357 of 366
Game over. No more quarters.
post #358 of 366
HI

I can't connect to anyones library. always get a cannot find server error. what am i doing wrong.

I am still using itunes 4.0.

please help
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #359 of 366
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
torrifile can you edit out my IP from your post?

I took care of it.
post #360 of 366
There still isn't a difference Paul. This update probably does very little to prevent saving to disc music using iLeech, to do that the underlying technology would have to be changed.

All this download stops is people from sharing music outside their LAN. And sharing means both downloading and playing AND downloading and saving.

Barto

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?