or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc

Wwdc - Page 8

post #281 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by NShirkey
Okay, Help me out here. Earlier posts stated that the lower end 970's will not be any faster than the current high-end Mac at running 32 bit apps.

They probably said that the fact that the 970 is a 64-bit processor won't make it any faster at running 32-bit apps. A hypothetical 32-bit version of the 970 should still blow the doors off the G4.

Quote:
Will the new 970's truly be little to no improvement with my current apps over an existing new Mac? Would I see no improvement until all of my needed apps are re-written for 64 bits? If so, I should buy a 1.42 Mac when prices drop and sell it in 2 years when I have music software that will run on a 64 bit Mac.

All indications are that the 970s will roast the current G4s, with your applications as they currently are.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #282 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by NShirkey
Okay, Help me out here. Earlier posts stated that the lower end 970's will not be any faster than the current high-end Mac at running 32 bit apps.
(snip)

What I've heard is that the 970s will be almost twice as fast as the G4s (when compared at the same MHz), and that is not because the 970s are 64 bit. It's because of the overall design (FSB, Floating Pt Units, Branch Prediction, Etc., the list goes on) . . . errr, so my sources say, but they're a bunch of blue meanies anyway (ahh, too much yellow submarine I guess)
post #283 of 771

May 31 1985, Jobs loses job

Despite the great fanfare surrounding the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984, the computer's sales fell far below expectations in its first year. Steve Jobs, cofounder of Apple and champion of the Macintosh, had become general manager of the Macintosh group. The board of directors, led by Apple's president John Sculley, blamed Jobs for the Mac's dismal performance.
A highly publicized feud broke out between the two, and on May 31, 1985, Sculley removed Jobs as head of the Macintosh unit. Although Jobs retained the title of chairman of the board, he held little real power. Several months later, Jobs resigned to start a new company, called Next. Ironically, Macintosh sales took off after Aldus introduced PageMaker in the summer of 1985, launching an entire industry of desktop publishers, all of whom relied on Macs to run their software.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #284 of 771
From ADC

Quote:
ADC TV Open to All ADC Members

WWDC 2002 Sessions are now available FREE to all ADC members via
QuickTime stream online. Log in to the ADC Member Site and choose
"View ADC TV". Now is a great time to review some of the materials
from last year's conference to prepare for 2003.
http://connect.apple.com
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #285 of 771
Think this includes the keynote, or will it be broadcasted anyway?
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

post #286 of 771
post #287 of 771
D'oh! Sorry

post #288 of 771

June 1 1890, Counting machines used in census

On June 1, 1890, some 45,000 census counters set out to count America's sixty million plus population. The census takers took along hole punches and recorded the results of their surveys by punching out designated spots on the card, like a train conductor punching a ticket. Later, those cards were counted by a tabulating machine invented by 29-year-old Herman Hollerith. In a test run, Hollerith's counting machine had proven dramatically faster than other proposed counting methods.
Hollerith founded the Tabulating Machine Company in 1896. Through a series of mergers and reorganizations, the company eventually became IBM.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #289 of 771

June 2 1993, Apple suit dismissed

On June 2, 1993, a district court judge dismissed Apple's suit against Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard for stealing the "look and feel" of its Macintosh interface. Apple had sued the two companies in 1989 for copying its point-and-click interface.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #290 of 771
NETRO must be very bored
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #291 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
NETRO must be very bored

NETRO, keep it up! I think your WWDC countdown is awesome!
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #292 of 771
Quote:
NETRO must be very bored

Thank you for pointing that out Leonis At least nobody needs to do the math themselves Starting to move next week so I may not be able to do the contdown then. Hey, maybe you'll even miss me being here counting down

Today it's only three weeks left for Apple to do the finising touches to the preview release of panther. It will probably be the best os that Apple has ever released. At least that is my hope and wish. I hope they don't let us down. Apple is entering the 64 bit era with powerful new computers. Major steps for a small computer company, and I think this will gain a lot of attention from the press and other people. And just imagine the orders coming in from all over the world. This is going to be huge.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #293 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
Thank you for pointing that out Leonis At least nobody needs to do the math themselves Starting to move next week so I may not be able to do the contdown then. Hey, maybe you'll even miss me being here counting down

Who else will bump this thread?
post #294 of 771
Quote:
... Starting to move next week so I may not be able to do the contdown then

when will you be back?
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #295 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
when will you be back?

Don't know. Have to move my DSL and stuff. That will probably take a while I guess. Maybe a week or so. Have to call my DSL provider soon. Hopefully I will be back online some time before the WWDC.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #296 of 771
Quote:
Don't know. Have to move my DSL and stuff. That will probably take a while I guess. Maybe a week or so. Have to call my DSL provider soon. Hopefully I will be back online some time before the WWDC.

Heh you call yourself a MacFan ... Any self respecting fan would have postponed their move till **AFTER** the countdown was over.

The 'on this day' posts will be missed so hurry back.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #297 of 771
so what are we going to see at WWDC??? things are boiling quite nicely at apple these days...

Panther (a given)
the PowerMac line needs an upgrade (likely chance of 970 PM coming at WWDC or right after)
but with price cuts to the PB line and bundle incentives with the iBook it seems we may also get laptop upgrades too (it is the year of the laptop ) so it seems likely we will get updated PB and maybe (much less chance) even updated iBooks

would apple really use WWDC to release all that??

that would seem insane, nice, but insane

WWDC--panther and PM to run panther....oh an one more thing is we will have an apple special event on July 4th weekend (and that is were all laptops are updated--new 15.4 and 12 and 17 PB and "surprise" new iBooks and updated iMacs too---every mac is now above 1 gig and all power line is 970....iMac and iBooks are either G4 or Gobi (if gobi gets altivec)...

it is fun to go insane before a show....when is the next macworld??

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #298 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
so what are we going to see at WWDC??? things are boiling quite nicely at apple these days...

there is certainly boiling something at intel on the 23rd of june.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #299 of 771
Curious timing, indeed. Mind you, expect them to be recalled six weeks later because of "heat issues."

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #300 of 771
On what grounds did the Judge dismiss the Apple case against M$/HP?

You can't copyright an idea...but only it's form. Was it deemed M$ had something that was sufficiently different in look and 'feel'? (Well, guess they did...heh...looked and felt like crap...heh...heh...)

Netro. You just gotta keep the updates coming...can't you log on via a mate's house?

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #301 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by gar

"It will cost $637 and will be Intel's top offering for months." Good night Intel.

In related news here comes the Clown Tree.
post #302 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
In related news here comes the Clown Tree. [/B]

U R Evil. I demand a refund for the bandwidth wasted.

Screed
post #303 of 771
Quote:
"It will cost $637 and will be Intel's top offering for months." Good night Intel.

Wow! That is a huge speed bump and for only $637
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #304 of 771
post #305 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
On what grounds did the Judge dismiss the Apple case against M$/HP?

You can't copyright an idea...but only it's form. Was it deemed M$ had something that was sufficiently different in look and 'feel'? (Well, guess they did...heh...looked and felt like crap...heh...heh...)

Netro. You just gotta keep the updates coming...can't you log on via a mate's house?

Lemon Bon Bon

Fom memory (please correct me I'm wrong...), a document turned up that detailed an agreement (Scully signed?) basically saying that M$ could indeed copy elements from the Mac OS, as long as it continued devlopment of applications such as Word and Office for the Mac platform...
post #306 of 771
there deffinetly was something about microsoft having to always make software for mac (or they would be split apart into two different companies [dont know about this to be a fact though])
post #307 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUsers
there deffinetly was something about microsoft having to always make software for mac (or they would be split apart into two different companies [dont know about this to be a fact though])

IIRC that was the agreement which ended something like 6 months ago. Remember all the hubbub about whether Microsoft would stop developing for Mac at all? There isn't any contractual agreement between Microsoft and Apple now, just a large world out there with eagle eyes on the monopoly of the desktop software and OS market.

The being split into two (or three) companies came from Judge Jackson and was eventually laughed out of dodge because of his 'extraordinary' extracurricular activites regarding the case (too bad that). The software for Apple agreement was completely seperate from that case.

I also find it hilarious that Microsoft continually bitched about modularizing their products as a remedy (it would kill us!) - which they are apparently now actively pursuing (in accordance with their new liscensing schemes).

Course I could just be making this all up too...
Anyone for pie?
Anyone for pie?
post #308 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
Ditto

The Clown Tree sheds a tear.
post #309 of 771
The agreement that just ended was tied to the $150 million MSFT invested in preferred, non-voting Apple stock shortly after Jobs returned to Apple.

THat investment, along with certain other commitments was the basis for the resolution of several long-running lawsuits that Apple had filed against MSFT, but was unrelated to anything Scully might have done, IIRC.

The terms of the agreement have never been made public, except in part.
Part of the deal was that MS would continue to make Office for at least 5 years from the date of the agreement.
Apple would make Internet Explorer the default browser on the Mac OS (although it was free to include Netscape Navigator or others).
MSFT got the preferred stock which the sold at a premium and made quite a bit of green.
Apple and MSFT agreed to cross license a whole slew of technologies that they had been fighting over in court.
MSFT agreed to stop using some Apple-patented items, which, no one knows.
There were othe various items on the list, and some of those terms are permanent (crosslicensing, for instance), or may be subject to patent expirations.
That's all I can recall at the moment.
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
post #310 of 771

1985 Jobs changes job

On this day in 1985, Apple Computer announced that chairman and cofounder Steve Jobs would no longer control the manufacturing and marketing of the Macintosh computer. The thirty-year-old Jobs had led the development team that designed the machine.
post #311 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

1985 Jobs changes job

On this day in 1985, Apple Computer announced that chairman and cofounder Steve Jobs would no longer control the manufacturing and marketing of the Macintosh computer. The thirty-year-old Jobs had led the development team that designed the machine.

Way to go Kurt! On behalf of NETRO, I thank you.

post #312 of 771
Quote:

In related news here comes the Clown Tree.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #313 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
Heh you call yourself a MacFan ... Any self respecting fan would have postponed their move till **AFTER** the countdown was over.

The 'on this day' posts will be missed so hurry back.

Dave

LOL Thanks man! I'll try to be back as soon as possible.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #314 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I'll try to get online once in a while, but I can't guarrantie regular updates. Kurt will probably do a fine job while I'm gone though. Thanks for the fine words BTW

On a side note: Finished my final exam today!!! Jiippiiiii
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #315 of 771
Quote:

a week or so!??
post #316 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by wwwork
a week or so!??

he-he. One week may be a bit on the optimistic side I guess. Do you think they'll do it faster if I tell them 'bout the WWDC???
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #317 of 771
Quote:

On a side note: Finished my final exam today!!! Jiippiiiii

So you said you have messed up some medicine?
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #318 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by gar

What a strange coincidence that it happens on the first day of WWDC. The following day, this happens. Interesting.
post #319 of 771

June 04 1996, Microsoft licenses Visual Basic for Applications

Microsoft announced it would license Visual Basic for Applications, a programming tool that made it easier to customize Microsoft applications. The program let companies enhance Microsoft programs and link them to other products: For example, programmers could create scripts to import information from a database program into a spreadsheet or word processing program. Although Microsoft had not licensed Visual Basic for Applications before, the company hoped it would compete with Java as a programming language for Internet applications.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #320 of 771
Quote:
So you said you have messed up some medicine?

Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc