or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc

Wwdc - Page 19

post #721 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Aphelion
If Apple wanted SGI's assets they would have made their move a year or so ago, when SGI stock was selling for $.50 a share.

It's not just about share price and market capitalization. SGI was bleeding money, it had yet to clean up its strategy, that is release Linux/Itanium servers and to cull non strategic business units (like Cray).

Also Apple wasn't in a position to aquire SGI.
The transition to Mac OS X was still incomplete, Apple's PowerPC processors lagging behind Intel's and Apple was in the red.

This is not to mention the gloomy economic climate.
Now things are looking up, both companies are in the red and...

Also it wasn't clear on what processor architecture SGI would support Mac OS X:

1. Itanium? Too hot, too expensive. And not compatible with Mac OS X software.
2. MIPS? legacy, dated and still not compatible with Mac OS X apps.
3. PowerPC G4? Too slow. And little to differentiate between Apple PowerMacs.

With the arrival of the 64-bit PPC970 and the 64-bit Mac OS X and HyperTransport, Apple and SGI now have a platform on which to produce high performance 4-8 or 8-16 way workstations.

So now would be a good time
"We must never forget"
- from the Holocaust Memorial, Miami Beach
"We must never forget"
post #722 of 771
You make good points rmendis, but I'd say that Apple is in no position to purchase SGI now either.

Apple has a lot on their plate just now with Panther, the 970 and who knows what else is currently in the pipeline. Besides that, I think that a close partnership with IBM might be better for Apple, and they wouldn't want to step on their chip supplier's toes right now with a venture that might put them in direct competition with Big Blue.

Having said that, if no mention of a relationship with IBM that goes beyond supplier/vendor comes out over the next few weeks it could mean that Apple intends to go it alone (or with a SGI acquisition) into the high end.

Aphelion ...
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
post #723 of 771
Hi...

June 17 1993, Emergency board meeting at Apple

Apple Computer's board of directors called a special meeting to address a "sudden financial downturn," caused by a price war in the computer industry. At the meeting, the board asked president John Sculley to step down from his position, according to a wrongful-dismissal lawsuit later filed by Sculley.
Sculley was blamed for Apple's dismal performance in recent years. Although the groundbreaking Macintosh was released on his watch, some blamed him for missing the chance to make the Macintosh operating system the industry standard. He also spent eighteen months promoting the Newton, a handheld computer that Apple would invest ten years and an estimated $500 million in developing before finally pulling the plug in 1998. For the next several years, Apple went through two more presidents before drafting Apple cofounder Steve Jobs as acting president in 1998
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #724 of 771
NETRO is BACK!
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #725 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Spart
If you look at the Xserve spec pages, they are 17.6" wide and 28" deep. In other words, that's about 5 and a quarter 12" PowerBooks. I have seen the laptop boxes, they are not oversized enough to contain an Xserve. However, the "eyewitness" may not know what he or she is seeing and may mistake an Xserve box for a laptop one, as the boxes are too narrow to be PowerMacs.

The Xserves are 1.73" high. My point is that the Xserves and Powerbook 17's have similar shapes, and are both small compared to, say, a Powermac. Therefore, it is quite possible that a person who got a brief glimpse at a xServe box thought it might be a Powerbook.
post #726 of 771
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #727 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by qazII
My point is that the Xserves and Powerbook 17's have similar shapes, and are both small compared to, say, a Powermac. Therefore, it is quite possible that a person who got a brief glimpse at a xServe box thought it might be a Powerbook.

Spoken like one who has never seen an Xserve.

Sometimes I just despair of the average Al forum reader.
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #728 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown
Spoken like one who has never seen an Xserve.

Sometimes I just despair of the average Al forum reader.

I have seen a Xserve. Besides,

XServe: 28 by 17.6 inches=1.59
Powerbook 17: 15.4 by 10.2 inches=1.51
Both are thin: 1.73" vs. 1.0"

The shape is basically the same. The Xserve is bigger, but given the circumstances of the "sighting" one could easily be confused for the other as they both have the same distinctive shape.
post #729 of 771
AtAT has reversed its position and now expects G5s on Monday with immediate availability.

"No, what we meant to imply is that while it's all still just hearsay at this point, the say we're hearing hints strongly at a whiz-bang Power Mac G5 intro this Monday, with immediate availability right after the keynote. And while we're trying desperately not to get our hopes up until we see something at least vaguely resembling evidence, we have to admit, we're starting to get a little antsy. Must... control.... enthusiasm... Must... think... underwhelming... thoughts..."
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #730 of 771
What if it's a new high end Xstation with Quad 2 gig G4s on a new motherboard...

We've long known the motherboard was hamstringing the PowerMacs.

I know... I know... we want the 970s. I'm just sayin'.

What if?
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
post #731 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
AtAT has reversed its position and now expects G5s on Monday with immediate availability.

"Must... control.... enthusiasm... Must... think... underwhelming... thoughts..."

Margaret Thatcher! Margaret Thatcher in her knickers! Margaret Thatcher playing baseball in her knickers! Aaaahhhhhh..... !
post #732 of 771
Quote:
I have seen a Xserve. Besides,

XServe: 28 by 17.6 inches=1.59
Powerbook 17: 15.4 by 10.2 inches=1.51
Both are thin: 1.73" vs. 1.0"

The shape is basically the same. The Xserve is bigger, but given the circumstances of the "sighting" one could easily be confused for the other as they both have the same distinctive shape.

It's not even close! The Xserve's shortest dimension is 2" greater than the 17" PB's largest! The Xserve is twice as thick! And you, sir, are a blinkered idiot to think anyone could confuse the two.

I really do despair of the level of intelligence around here. Somebody say something intelligent, quick!
post #733 of 771
Quote:
Somebody say something intelligent, quick!

[rapid voice high-pitched voice] E=mc^2 [/rapid voice high-pitched voice]
post #734 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
NETRO is BACK!

netro is my favorit viking
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #735 of 771
Quote:
And you, sir, are a blinkered idiot to think anyone could confuse the two.

We're not talking about confusing an Xserve and a Powerbook 17. I agree that this is almost impossible. We're talking about confusing shipping boxes, given (a) the person probably had little time (b) the reference object was much bigger than either would be and (c) maybe some wishful thinking (lots of people want Powerbook update).

I'm just saying that it's a possibility. Sheesh.
post #736 of 771
Quote:
It's not even close! The Xserve's shortest dimension is 2" greater than the 17" PB's largest! The Xserve is twice as thick! And you, sir, are a blinkered idiot to think anyone could confuse the two.

I really do despair of the level of intelligence around here. Somebody say something intelligent, quick!

Well here is something intelligent: Your wrong! I quote the Apple Xserve page:
Quote:
Size and weight:
1.73 inches (4.4 cm) high by 17.6 inches (44.7 cm) wide by 28 inches (71.1 cm) deep

Quote:
Size and weight (17-inch model)
Height: 1.0 inch (2.6 cm)
Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)
Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
Weight: 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (8)

I think you are thinking of the Xserve Raid" http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/ That thing is more than twice as thick as the Powerbook.
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
post #737 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by jante99
Well here is something intelligent: Your wrong!

It's "you're wrong" and yes I know it's not twice as thick, it's only almost twice as thick. And it's certainly not as thick as some of the folk posting in this thread. I think I should be allowed some hyperbole in order to make my point and that's all I have to say about that.
post #738 of 771
Quote:
We're not talking about confusing an Xserve and a Powerbook 17. I agree that this is almost impossible. We're talking about confusing shipping boxes, given (a) the person probably had little time (b) the reference object was much bigger than either would be and (c) maybe some wishful thinking (lots of people want Powerbook update).

I'm just saying that it's a possibility. Sheesh.

Indeed we are! Geometrically speaking, are the Xserve and PB 17" similar? Roughly. Congruent? Hell no.

Have you ever seen the shipping boxes for Xserves? And for PowerBooks? They are not the same shape at all. Xserve boxes are deep and narrow, whereas most of Apple's laptop boxes have a squarer shape.

That being said, is it possible that the boxes could have been confused? Yes, by someone stupid and unfamiliar with Apple's boxen, which is unlikely considering that someone seeing new boxes has probably seen old, non-concealed boxes in addition.
post #739 of 771
Here's a bit that I guess alot of folks may already know, but . . . just in case you didn't. Thanks to a "roadmap" briefing from Dell today, I can confirm that no 64bit workstations are planned by that company until April 2004. April and afterward, they get very ambiguous. Maybe yes, Maybe no. They readily admit that the 32bit performance is in the dumper for Itanium, and WinXP64 isn't perfected.

How does this fit in w/ WWDC and Apple? Well, IF (and that's a big word) Apple releases their 970 PowerMac and shortly there-after Panther (around September), then they can have at least a 7 to 8 month jump on Dell.

What really brought this to my attention is that alot of the engineers where I work are having problems with the 4GB memory limitation of 32bit processors (they've been recently forced to migrate from HP 64bit Unix workstations to 2.66 - 3.06MHz P4 Win2K boxes, Pro E and UniGraphics).

Apple has an opportunity to really get some enterprise accounts if they capitalize on their immanent advancements.

If this WWDC can be "over the top", all the better.
post #740 of 771
Quote:
You make good points rmendis, but I'd say that Apple is in no position to purchase SGI now either.

Apple has a lot on their plate just now with Panther, the 970 and who knows what else is currently in the pipeline...

Having said that, if no mention of a relationship with IBM that goes beyond supplier/vendor comes out over the next few weeks it could mean that Apple intends to go it alone (or with a SGI acquisition) into the high end.

I'd agree that perhaps right now is not the time, but definitely this year.

I'd say once Apple has it's 64-bit PPC970 Mac OS X Panther manchines out the door and the iTunes Music Store for Windows, i think then that would be the time.

Panther is out in Sept., so perhaps thereafter sometime?

Also note that SGI is the only company of IBM, HP, Sun (& Digital) that didn't have a strategic relationship/deal with NeXT. (IBM had strategic relationships with both NeXT then Apple).
"We must never forget"
"We must never forget"
post #741 of 771

1993 Sculley quits Apple

On June 18, 1993, John Sculley officially resigned as president of Apple Computer, while retaining his title as chairman of the board. Sculley said he wanted to concentrate on strategy, while new president Michael Spindler ran day-to-day operations. However, the following September, Sculley filed a wrongful-dismissal lawsuit claiming he had been forced to step down by hostile directors. He claimed his dismissal was a breach of contract, as well as a case of age discrimination.
Sculley had served as president since 1983. During his term, Apple released the Macintosh computer and the PowerBook. The Newton, Apple's ill-fated handheld computer, was a pet project of Sculley's. In 1985, he essentially fired Steve Jobs, asking him to step down as president while retaining the title of chairman-ironically, the same situation he himself was placed in by Apple's board of directors eight years later.
post #742 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by rmendis
I'd agree that perhaps right now is not the time, but definitely this year...

Not only not now, but not this year either. Apple will not make a move of that magnitude until the G5 is fully rolled out across the product lines, and AAPL stock reflects this change of fortunes.

When SGI stock dropped below $.50 I thought for sure that Apple would buy them, so I bought SGI (@ $.66 a share). That didn't come to pass, but two months later I sold it @ $4+ per share and was pretty happy about it. But that was then and this is now.

I still believe that a partnership with IBM is much more likely, and much less risky than a purchase of SGI. However, if that does not come to pass then Apple will have to find another way into the high end, and SGI might just help them there.

Aphelion ...
post #743 of 771
hey, is Apple.com down or is my windows computer stupid?
post #744 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUsers
hey, is Apple.com down or is my windows computer stupid?

apple is down...probably getting ready for next week...will have intermittant down time till monday morning

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #745 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
apple is down...probably getting ready for next week...will have intermittant down time till monday morning

g

up for me.

post #746 of 771
still down for me ... ?
post #747 of 771
down for me too, try refreshing
post #748 of 771
Quote:
still down for me ... ?

It looks like a DNS problem. Try 17.112.152.32.
post #749 of 771
Thought I entered an internet masturbation forum...down for me...mines down too....its up for me..
post #750 of 771
Looks like Apple.com is back up.

For those of you who will be available all day Monday (i.e., students not working, teachers not working, people who are taking the day off), could you guys please post a link to the keynote speech after it's been presented for those of us who work (and won't get to find out anything til around 7 p.m. that night)?

I mean, I could probably find it eventually on Apple's website or somewhere else, but it would be great if somebody could put it here straight so we can have the "experience." I want to feel the excitement on the back of my neck!!

Oh, yeah, and if nothing comes out but Panther, don't worry about doing anything.

Thank you
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
post #751 of 771
hmm i got a mail from mac mall, "mega mac sale on Xserve & Xserve RAID" "We've gone Bonkers" "Instant Savings! Price too low to show!"

Think this means something?

Although they have been having alot of sales lately on stuff in general..
post #752 of 771

There had to be one posted today.

1987 Cherry Garcia anounced
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia announce a new ice cream flavor.

Anything better/more relevant?
Required annual post by: Lucy

--> This is the cute bunny virus, copy and paste it into your signature to help it spread.
(\(\
(^.^)
( ") ")
Required annual post by: Lucy

--> This is the cute bunny virus, copy and paste it into your signature to help it spread.
(\(\
(^.^)
( ") ")
post #753 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
hmm i got a mail from mac mall, "mega mac sale on Xserve & Xserve RAID" "We've gone Bonkers" "Instant Savings! Price too low to show!"

Think this means something?

Although they have been having alot of sales lately on stuff in general..

Why have a sale 4 days before your stock goes out of date? That's what you do 4 weeks before a keynote.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #754 of 771
Here's a question for y'all:

Do you think that somebody from IBM will get up on stage with Steve during the Stevenote? I seem to recall something on MR about this, but can't find it now.

If so, do you think he will discuss:

General technical overview (advantages of 970, bakeoff, et al)?

Developer-related stuff (we see here how the ALU and FPU share their design with the Power 4 blah blah)?

Business-related stuff (Apple and IBM will be working together to provide processors for all future Apple computers, etc.)?

A make-out fest with Phil Schiller?
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
post #755 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Why have a sale 4 days before your stock goes out of date? That's what you do 4 weeks before a keynote.

And when's NAB again?
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #756 of 771
Time now 00:56 on the 21 of June in Norway.

So it's two days left

No trivia today. It just doesn't matter right now.

Still in shock.

netro
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #757 of 771
"Time now 00:56 on the 21 of June in Norway.

So it's two days left

Still in shock."

You have said all there is to say!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
post #758 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by anand
"Time now 00:56 on the 21 of June in Norway.

So it's two days left

Still in shock."

I have to say that i'm excited too...but at the prospect of seeing my boyfriend after 6 months. (Not had sex in a long time). So at the moment i really couldn't care less how many MHz the G5 is gonna be
"We must never forget"
"We must never forget"
post #759 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by rmendis
I have to say that i'm excited too...but at the prospect of seeing my boyfriend after 6 months. (Not had sex in a long time). So at the moment i really couldn't care less how many MHz the G5 is gonna be

At least one AI member has a life
post #760 of 771
Quote:
Still in shock.

Snap.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc