or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc

Wwdc - Page 3

post #81 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by costique
Aha! So you already heard about WWDC?

I've heard mention of it...supposed to be for developers only, right?
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #82 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
So did every other ADC subscriber. What's the point?

Not everyone is an ADC describer. Thanks for sharing NETROMac.

And yes WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference) is intended for Apple Developers, though sometimes its keynote address is also used for product announcements.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #83 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
So did every other ADC subscriber. What's the point?

Oh I don't know. I'm sorry I bothered you
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #84 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
Recieved this mail from ADC today:

On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history.

If you want to create products that fully exploit the next generation of innovative technologies from Apple, deliver the most compelling media experiences for your users, or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise, then you definitely want to be at WWDC 2003.

And, you'll also to want act quickly. Our Early Registration Discount ends on Friday, May 23. After that, WWDC e-ticket prices increase by US $300, so register today to save big on this important event. (If you are a Premier member, don't forget to register for your free conference pass!)

Don't forget, all WWDC 2003 attendees will receive a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, along with post-conference access to sessions online, and a WWDC 2003 Sessions DVD set.

Register today at
<http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/registration.html>.

Best Regards,
Apple Developer Connection

Does not sound to promising for a hardware announcement...
post #85 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
Does not sound to promising for a hardware announcement...

How is that ?
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #86 of 771
Quote:
How is that ?

Well aside from this:

Quote:
or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise

Which I believe is more aimed towards Mac OS 10 Server Panther, there is no mention of hardware. Am I right? \
post #87 of 771
Which is why it's called a surprise...

They've got something big planned... 32 To Be Announced slots on the WWDC schedule. Traditionally, those are filled with newly announced stuff from the Keynote.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #88 of 771
Quote:
Recieved this mail from ADC today:

...This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history...

Best Regards,
Apple Developer Connection

I'd say this foreshadows the ppc970 intro at WWDC. Certainly Panther is not bigger than the jump from OS 9 to OS X.

Alternatively, "bigger" could simply be referring to the amount of exhibits planned.

Or maybe it's just PR drivel.
post #89 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
I'd say this foreshadows the ppc970 intro at WWDC. Certainly Panther is not bigger than the jump from OS 9 to OS X.

Exactly what I thought. I think Apple is trying to signal in a subtle way that this is not an event you would "wan't to miss". This is going to be something special, and I don't think they are talking about the physical size of the event. Well, we'll see in about 37 days.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #90 of 771

May 17 1991, World Wide Web released on CERN machines

Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist on fellowship at CERN (the European Particle Physics Laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland), presented the architecture for the World Wide Web to a CERN committee and released a version of the Web on CERN's computers.
Since 1989, Berners-Lee had been working on a hypertext system that would allow documents to "link" to each other easily. By 1990, he had created the basic parameters of the World Wide Web, which were posted on the Internet in the summer of 1991. Berners-Lee continued to develop the Web through 1993, working with feedback from Internet users. By late 1991 and early 1992, the Web was widely discussed, and in early 1993, when Marc Andreessen and other graduate students at the University of Illinois released the Mosaic browser (Netscape's precursor), the Web rapidly became a popular communications medium.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #91 of 771
Apple is claiming that this WWDC will be the biggest ever (or may be).

In their minds, I'm certain that Panther is much bigger than the OS 9 transition. OS 9 is crud, scum, and well-forgotten scum to the NeXTies and its departure from the scene was/is a mere footnote to them.

All this is designed to bring developers to SF, paying developers.

WWDC represents about $3-5 million in cashflow for Apple, and about $3-8 million for the city/travel industries. That's worth a lot of hype to promote, don't you think?
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
www.ro3.com
post #92 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Alternatively, "bigger" could simply be referring to the amount of exhibits planned.

Or maybe it's just PR drivel.

They're combining teh QuickTime and WWDC conferences. Of course it's going to be bigger than ever.
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #93 of 771
So it is basically PR RDF.

nuff said.
www.ro3.com
www.ro3.com
post #94 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by jccbin
So it is basically PR RDF.

nuff said.

Exactly. How many years have they said "This is one (event name) you won't want to miss!" or "This year will be bigger than ever" kind of slogans?

I believe that we will see something at the Create Expo or even Seybold which is in San Francisco in September.

I think Apple will want to start to do shoot offs of the PowerMac vs. Intel with Photoshop again. That kind of speed test would be sort of useless to a developer show. At Seybold? Bring it on! That is what people there want to see.
post #95 of 771

May 18 1982, New program from software pioneer

On this day in 1982, VisiCalc producer Software Arts unveiled a new program, TK/Solver, designed to let professionals use advanced mathematical formulas and tables. Although VisiCalc still held a dominant position, other spreadsheets had started to enter the market, and Software Arts needed new products to stay ahead. Unfortunately, Lotus 1-2-3, introduced in 1983, quickly overtook the spreadsheet market: Two years later, Lotus purchased Software Arts.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #96 of 771
Quote:
Apple is claiming that this WWDC will be the biggest ever (or may be).

In their minds, I'm certain that Panther is much bigger than the OS 9 transition. OS 9 is crud, scum, and well-forgotten scum to the NeXTies and its departure from the scene was/is a mere footnote to them.

All this is designed to bring developers to SF, paying developers.

WWDC represents about $3-5 million in cashflow for Apple, and about $3-8 million for the city/travel industries. That's worth a lot of hype to promote, don't you think?

WWDC is bigger this year because of QuickTime LIVE! and a new Enterprise IT track.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #97 of 771
Quote:
Exactly. How many years have they said "This is one (event name) you won't want to miss!" or "This year will be bigger than ever" kind of slogans?

So then, what should they say. "On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the new capabilities of the next release of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be somewhat smaller than other conferences in Apple's history. Don't count on new hardware being introduced eihter."

Serously though, you're right that Apple often use these kind of slogans before an event. But you have to remember that the WWDC's in the recent few years have been quite important to Apple with the transition to os X, and trying to get all developers on board with that. It's important for Apple to show developers the capabilities of os X, and it also have been important for them to tell developers that this is where we're going, so you better go with us - remember the famous "the train has left the station" statement from Jobs. So for a few WWDC's now, Apple has both introduced new major revisions of os X and also introduced / previewed new hardware. This has never in any way been tied into the teasers before the conference.

I also think that Apple - even though they don't comment on it - knows that many developers suspects that new important hardware is going to be previewed/introduced at the event. And the "This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history" statement is somewhat meant to emphasize this possibility. And if Apple HAS new hardware coming, and hardware that is very important for Apple's future, and they don't want to let the cat out of the bag completely, they have to make such subtle announcements. And I don't think they are referring to the physical size of the event.

And the yet to be announced sessions is also a sign that there's something coming. Or what is it about panther that is so new and special that it needs 32 separate sessions to outline? I don't know, but it has to be something very cool to warrant 32 sessions.

I guess we'll know the answer 36 days from now.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #98 of 771
Quote:

No! Developers aren't stupid, and if Apple lures them to the WWDC with the "This is one event you won't want to miss!" slogan and has nothing special to show them, they won't be fooled again. Apple knows this, and I don't think the $3-5 in cashflow for Apple is worth pissing a lot of developers off. I'm sure Apple sees it this way also.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #99 of 771
I would think that some of the developers going to WWDC would have already seen a 970. Unless Apple doesn't seed machines anymore. They may be under a heavy NDA but if the machines are going to be released soon, they should have some out there testing software. Anyone have any idea how many developers do get these test boxes? I would think the likes of Adobe and Microsoft would get them but I joked recently on these boards that Moki had one and he said he didn't. His company seems like a mid-sized developer and may not get one early on.
post #100 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
...but I joked recently on these boards that Moki had one and he said he didn't. His company seems like a mid-sized developer and may not get one early on.

I don't know about moki. I think he has been a little more "enigmatic" than usually lately
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #101 of 771
Quote:
I don't know about moki. I think he has been a little more "enigmatic" than usually lately

He did flat out deny it. I would have hoped he would have at least given a good government, "No comment", or "I can not discuss whether I have a machine or not."

That would have at least let us know he did without disclosing anything.
post #102 of 771
Quote:
That would have at least let us know he did without disclosing anything.

Good point Kurt So moki, you're sure you haven't a 970-box lying hidden in a closet somewhere ??
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #103 of 771
Quote:
Good point Kurt So moki, you're sure you haven't a 970-box lying hidden in a closet somewhere ??

he said it months ago and a couple of days again: he doesn't have one.
no prototype, nothing.
you could ask him whether he has a beta copy of panther and there is something 64bitted in the code, (or something like that) but that will probally be under nda. so he won't tell you or say he can't tell you.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #104 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
he said it months ago and a couple of days again: he doesn't have one.
no prototype, nothing.
you could ask him whether he has a beta copy of panther and there is something 64bitted in the code, (or something like that) but that will probally be under nda. so he won't tell you or say he can't tell you.

Oh come on man, I was only joking!
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #105 of 771
- Apple will introduce the 970 this year. This is (almost) certain.
- So the next major revision of OSX will support the 970 and its 64-Bit instructions. So Panther has to be ready for the 970.
- The first ones that need know about a new architecture are the developers. What better place is there to brief them than a developer's conference?

So I expect a preview of 970 machines. Anything else would really surprise me.

Once the new architecture is introduced, PowerMac sales will drop to zero because everyone wants a 970. So they will start to ship them 1 or 2 months after the WWDC.

If a 15" AlBook has the 970 they will start to ship it with the new Powermacs. They will update the 17" shortly after.

If the 15" AlBook is not 970-ready I think they won't introduce it at the WWDC. The 970 would steal a lot of thunder and make it look outdated. They will have to introduce it shortly afterwards then, since they missed the opportunity to introduce it before the WWDC.
post #106 of 771
Power Mac sales are only being sold to Mac users who need to run Macs because of software and 3rd party hardware investment, and need a Mac now. If the 970 was announced to be available in 2 months tomorrow, I wouldn't expect sales of the current Power Macs to drop off for at least a month. It's really that bad.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #107 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Apfelsaft
- The first ones that need know about a new architecture are the developers. What better place is there to brief them than a developer's conference?

So I expect a preview of 970 machines. Anything else would really surprise me.

I remember when Apple announced the PowerMac G4 at Seybold. That same year they let developers know of new hardware technology but did not flat out say "we have a new PowerMac coming out this year and it is a G4..."

I think the same will happen with this WWDC, talk about 64 Bit and some of the other advantages of the 970 but not actually saying "yup we are announcing a 970 sometime this year"

I mean yeah it is a tough call if it will be announced or not but I guess I am just trying to keep my hopes down.
post #108 of 771
Quote:
Oh come on man, I was only joking!

i know that
and i was not
Quote:
I remember when Apple announced the PowerMac G4 at Seybold. That same year they let developers know of new hardware technology but did not flat out say "we have a new PowerMac coming out this year and it is a G4..."

I think the same will happen with this WWDC, talk about 64 Bit and some of the other advantages of the 970 but not actually saying "yup we are announcing a 970 sometime this year"

always expect apple to do these things different, or slightly different than the occasion before.
last time they announced a new processor (the altivec thing), nobody was prepared for it, no altivec enhancement at all. so even photoshop was not G4 ready iirc. so the advantages of altivec where nihilated by the absence of suited software. this time it will be different. when they release the ppc 970 it will run 32bit apps and it's altivec enhancement without any problem. the only questions are:
will the next gen powermacs be released at wwdc?
will they be available per direct or do we have to wait for two months... ?
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #109 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Apfelsaft
- Apple will introduce the 970 this year. This is (almost) certain.
- So the next major revision of OSX will support the 970 and its 64-Bit instructions. So Panther has to be ready for the 970.

I agree with this part of Apfelsaft's post. I see no problem with keeping the prototyping in Cupertino and announcing at WWDC. If the 970 can run 32-bit okay, then use the conference as a springboard and generate the momentum for developers to help build the bandwagon that they will jump on later.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #110 of 771
"developers aren't stupid"

Intelligence is only a thin shield against stupidity, often pierced from the INside.

www.ro3.com
www.ro3.com
post #111 of 771
Quote:
Intelligence is only a thin shield against stupidity, often pierced from the inside.

Heh. I like that one, did you come up with it or where'd you get it from? I'd like to use it.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #112 of 771
I have first-hand experience bursting that shield from the inside :-)

It just came to me as I was typing. Please use it as you wish.
www.ro3.com
www.ro3.com
post #113 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by little mouse
whats going to happen at WWDC?

I predict lots of developers will sit through lots of sessions on various programming topics. No, I guarantee it.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Carpe Aqua -- Snapz Pro X 2.0.2 for OS X..... Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro 1.1.0 for OS X
Carpe Aqua -- Snapz Pro X 2.0.2 for OS X..... Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro 1.1.0 for OS X
post #114 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by moki
I predict lots of developers will sit through lots of sessions on various programming topics. No, I guarantee it.

CONFIRMED: there will be developers at WWDC

....straight from the horse's mouth.

kroehl
post #115 of 771

May 19 1943, Churchill and FDR plot D-Day

On this day in 1943, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt set a date for the cross-Channel landing that would become D-Day-May 1, 1944. That date will prove a bit premature, as bad weather becomes a factor.
Addressing a joint session of Congress, Churchill warned that the real danger at present was the "dragging-out of the war at enormous expense" because of the risk that the Allies would become "tired or bored or split"-and play into the hands of Germany and Japan. He pushed for an early and massive attack on the "underbelly of the Axis." And so, to "speed" things up, the British prime minister and President Roosevelt set a date for a cross-Channel invasion of Normandy, in northern France, for May 1, 1944, regardless of the problems presented by the invasion of Italy, which was underway. It would be carried out by 29 divisions, including a Free French division, if possible.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #116 of 771
Quote:
I would think the likes of Adobe and Microsoft would get them but I joked recently on these boards that Moki had one and he said he didn't. His company seems like a mid-sized developer and may not get one early on.

Well, if we DID, I couldn't tell you anyway... but we don't have a seed machine, and we are probably in the "small" category of developers anyway.

I haven't heard of ANYONE being seeded a machine outside of Apple actually.
post #117 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by moki
I haven't heard of ANYONE being seeded a machine outside of Apple actually.

That probably just means that Apple has successfully narrowed the seed program down to (teams within) corporations that they know they can rely on to keep a secret.

If Apple's already contracting motherboard production and mailing CPUs to Taiwan, there have to have been test mules out and about. It's just that the Fear of Jobs has been instilled into the testers.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #118 of 771
Adobe's got them

-tink

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
post #119 of 771
Good, maybe they'll optimize After Effects to make up for that sleazy Orphange / Dell Ad

Hell, maybe they optimze ANY of their apps for OSX.
post #120 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
That probably just means that Apple has successfully narrowed the seed program down to (teams within) corporations that they know they can rely on to keep a secret.

I recon that companies that are used to getting pre-release machines have good routines to hinder information from being leaked to the outside world. The big boys like Adobe and Macromedia have probably received pre-release machines for years and have a fairly good track record when it comes to leaks. Therefore Apple can seed them boxes and know that they'll be fairly safe. But I have to admire the boys that know, especially if they are mac-fans, for keeping the secrets from "leaking" out. People with access to these pre-release machines are probably only people that HAS to know. I dont see these boxes floating around Adobe's or Macromedia's offices.
Apple will most likely also narrow the list down substantially with more "important" products, like the new 970 MowerMac, by just seeding it to the most important developers. These companies is benefitting from having access to unreleased products, and I don't think they're willing to jeopardize this just for our amusement.
Quote:
If Apple's already contracting motherboard production and mailing CPUs to Taiwan, there have to have been test mules out and about. It's just that the Fear of Jobs has been instilled into the testers.

And the fear of loosing their jobs. I don't think these companies would look with kind eyes on employees leaking information about future Apple products. No, we're probably going to have to live with the fact that "real" rumors are an endagered species in the mac world.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc