or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › How much have you spent in the iTunes Music Store?

How much have you spent in the iTunes Music Store?

Poll Results: How much $ have you spent in the iTunes Music Store?

Poll expired: May 19, 2003  
  • 2% (4)
    I use windows. $0
  • 27% (42)
    I live outside the US. $0
  • 18% (28)
    I have access to the store and have chosen not to use it. $0
  • 38% (58)
    I have tested it. Under $20
  • 12% (19)
    I am using it extensively. Over $20 but under $200
  • 0% (1)
    It is my only means to obtain Music. Over $200
152 Total Votes  
post #1 of 52
I have spent $11.88 +tx (so far)
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #2 of 52
one cd (9.99) and one song (.99)....

burned them to a cd for the kids

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #3 of 52
i will purchase something 2night...fathers permission pending of course
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #4 of 52
I was going to buy some soothing tunes to help the sled dogs sleep through the cold nights when the wind is howling... but alas, no luck for the Canuck.

post #5 of 52
P.S. This poll will close in 20 days and I will start a new one. I think it will be interesting to see how this progresses. If it is ok I'd like to make this a monthly thread with a new poll each month...
Oh and can a mod edit the 5th option so it says "I am using it extensively. Over $20 but under $200" Thanks.

Thanks Murbot!
post #6 of 52
$2.11 (including tax) for two songs.
post #7 of 52
I chose "I have access to the store and have chosen not to use it. $0" as the closest to my situation. The wording is a bit off for me. Basically, I plan to purchase, I just haven't gotten around to it yet (it's very new still). "Chosen not to use it," makes it sound like I'm some sort of consciencious objector or something.
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
cygnuhchur
spotbug is dead. Long live spotcatbug!
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Thanks Amorph! (I assume it was you and not Murbot.)

Jeez, do a guy a favor....

post #9 of 52
I can't begin to fathom how much dough I'd spend on that baby if I didn't live in Europe...

It's just shagadelic!
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
post #10 of 52
$9.99 for a 12 song Ella Fitzgerald CD. (Plus .60 tax). It's $18.98 at Amazon.com!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #11 of 52
$9.99 for rusted root - remember
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash
I can't begin to fathom how much dough I'd spend on that baby if I didn't live in Europe...
It's just shagadelic!

I live in Japan but also have a USA address, USA CC as well as registered with Apple under the US address. In spite of this, I was surprised but I was able to DL a song. (I was just trying the Store out.)

In the past, Under OS 9 and before, If I tried to DL an upgrade such as QT or something else from Apple, Somehow it detected my Japan server and usually gave me a Japanese version even if I asked for English.

Anyway, I am happy with the results and the ability to get some OLDIES. Wife is going to be happy on mothers day as daughters will make her a great CD.
post #13 of 52
The same poll at Mac Os X Hints. So far:
Quote:
None, because I'm outside the USA\t 121 30.8%
None, due to personal choice\t 70 17.8%
Less than 5\t 51 13.0%
10 - 19\t 44 11.2%
5 - 9\t 42 10.7%
None, due to Acquisition et al\t 24 6.1%
20 - 29\t 24 6.1%
30 - 39\t 7 1.8%
100 or more!\t 7 1.8%
40 - 49\t 2 0.5%
50 - 99\t 1 0.3%

So, 48.6% of users are out. Frankly, I did not expect it.
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #14 of 52
If you are going to buy the actual CD...why not go to a store and get it? I mean 1 you can get it cheaper and 2 you get the cover art and booklet with a case etc, original artwork and what have you. I just dont see the point of paying to download a CD.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #15 of 52
Well most CDs in stores cost $15, or at least more than $10. Some don't, of course.

I think the real benefit of this system is to get individual tracks without having to buy the whole CD. I've bought an entire CD more than once to find that I only like one or two of the songs on it... so basically I wasted my money on it, unless I really liked those songs. At $1 a pop with a lot of convenience, it's a good way to fill out my music collection a bit, replace crappy old tracks with new ones, etc. It's probably not economical enough to build an entire music collection this way... mine will always be centered around my MP3-encoded CDs.
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerWoods99
If you are going to buy the actual CD...why not go to a store and get it? I mean 1 you can get it cheaper and 2 you get the cover art and booklet with a case etc, original artwork and what have you. I just dont see the point of paying to download a CD.

If you were replying to my post above Costiques above, You will have to note where I am posting from. I did mention living in Japan.

Lets see: Oldies: Percy Faith spelled Percy Face; others just as hilarious; What is licensed for some countries are not always the same as what is available in the US. I really don't care for the cover art. MANY that I or my wife would like to have from our music generation (late 50's and 60's) just not available here. Maybe one or two Large stores "might" have them in a town of 10 million, but at a cost of $20.00 per trip per person from about 15 miles away - costs too much.

Lots cheaper to download. Wife likes ballads; why buy a CD when you only want 2 or 3 songs from different Artists. A history lesson: We grew up in a generation that had "singles" and we could purchase singles for a dollar anyway. Purchasing singles - ah . . . the good old days again. Only we can also make our CD that contains what WE want.

Please don't be so presumtious to assume that what fits one will fit all. The iTunes store might not make sense to you but it sure does to many.

In the beginning, MANY people said similar things about Online stores. Why buy online when you can go locally - which for many will not be cheaper nor have the variety.

Hank Lee
Osaka, Japan
post #17 of 52
I hope the iTunes Music Store will be availiable outside the US. Unlike the whole iPhoto-thing..
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
post #18 of 52
<anti-american rant> %¤&¤/¤(¤(¤!!!/%))/(!!!! </anti-american rant>

how do I obtain a US adresse? This is just horrible.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #19 of 52
99¢ + tax just to try it out.

I bought Eminem's Cleaning Out My Closet ... I should have bought something by Englebert Humperdink!
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #20 of 52
You forgot to add the following to the poll:

"I'm a loser and still use OS 9, so I'm not eligible. $0"
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by New
[Bhow do I obtain a US adresse? This is just horrible. [/B]

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!

<buon waves across the big pond>
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by costique
The same poll at Mac Os X Hints. So far:
So, 48.6% of users are out. Frankly, I did not expect it.

48.6% of respondents are out. Not exactly scientific. But Apple should and will probably be glad to know about why those users either don't want to buy stuff there or how much they do but they live outside the US. I hope that 48.6% is at least sending feedback to Apple.
post #23 of 52
i said this in another thread...

when it comes out for europe and windows...

i hope to see it grow exponentially because i think it will bepopular if people start to use it
post #24 of 52
I would have used it but I couldn't find the stuff I wanted.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #25 of 52
a few problems.

1. they need to drop the price of tracks. $1 per track is too high for people who can just DL them for free in the same time span.

2. variable pricing structure for different length tracks. they have 15 second bits that are $1. wtf. those should be a nickle. sometimes they're a bridge between songs, whatever. a 15 second track should never be $1.

3. in the case of Meddle (which i was going to buy). it's a cd with 6 tracks. $1 per track, up through echoes. (which is 23 min. long) you CAN'T BUY ECHOES. that's retarded. so it's $5 for the first 5 tracks, $12 for the CD. echoes costs $7. wtf.

4. better selection. (this is the only one i think will improve with time) it's still easier to find what you want online than it is at the Apple Store for music. although mom and pop would find the Apple way easier i'm sure.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
3. in the case of Meddle (which i was going to buy). it's a cd with 6 tracks. $1 per track, up through echoes. (which is 23 min. long) you CAN'T BUY ECHOES. that's retarded. so it's $5 for the first 5 tracks, $12 for the CD. echoes costs $7. wtf.

Don't you have that already? I could give a lending hand...
post #27 of 52
yeah, i own the CD and it's sitting somewhere in a box. i thought i'd ripped it already but i've got it covered. thanks though.
post #28 of 52
Quote:
a few problems.

1. they need to drop the price of tracks. $1 per track is too high for people who can just DL them for free in the same time span.

2. variable pricing structure for different length tracks. they have 15 second bits that are $1. wtf. those should be a nickle. sometimes they're a bridge between songs, whatever. a 15 second track should never be $1.

4. better selection. (this is the only one i think will improve with time) it's still easier to find what you want online than it is at the Apple Store for music. although mom and pop would find the Apple way easier i'm sure.

My understanding is Apple has to pay around 65 cents pre track to the labels. With that...they've got to make some money to pay for the infrastructure, the bandwidth, and actually make some money.

$.99 a song is great, I think.
post #29 of 52
Where is the "I p2p my music" as a poll choise?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #30 of 52
I have bought a few songs. I think it is great... I have yet to open any P2P program since the Music Store came out for several reasons:

> faster
> easier
> guaranteed to get what I want
> excellent quality
> it's LEGAL
> I enjoy supporting the artists I listen to but never really could before since I almost NEVER buy CDs...
> I will never buy another CD again (if it is offered at the Music Store) because I don't want all the plastic, jewel case, and other crap to take up space...

THIS IS GREAT!

Question to all: I hear people say $0.99 + tax but when I got my first music bill emailed to me it said tax: $0.00

Am I just living in the right state or is that a typo?
post #31 of 52
tsimf,

You got a bill mailed to you? I had to go through the account button in iTunews (top right) to get access to my purchase history. It included the tax info.

UPDATE: eMail bill came today. I was not charged sales tax!
post #32 of 52
Yep, a bill (well, notice of charges to my credit card) was in my Mail inbox.

It said bill paid-in-full and listed the songs I purchased, price, and then tax (which was 0).

I have since ordered more songs but have not gotten a bill for them.
post #33 of 52
Bizarre. I just checked my account info like you were talking about and I have two "groups" of purchases. The first one I got the email on and it still says $0 tax. The second set of purchases, however, did have tax....

Strange.
post #34 of 52
Quote:

Yeah, there are some oddities. I think they intentionally make one of the tracks unavailble individually if buying each song would be cheaper than buying the album. I guess it makes sense - lots of albums have maybe 3 or 4 tracks, and if they're 99¢ each, that's an awfully cheap album compared to what it would be in the store.

On the other hand, lots of albums have maybe 25 two-minute tracks, and it's much much cheaper to buy the album if you'd otherwise buy more than a few of the individual tracks (that is, if it's not a partial album ).

BTW, I found an album for $180. A complete Bill Evans recordings on Verve. 277 songs.

Here's an idea: Make the tracks equal to the proportion of the cost of the album they represent. So if an album is $15 in the store, and there are 15 tracks, make each track $1, and then sell the album at a discount (say $10). If an album has 3 tracks and is $15 in a store, then each track is $5 but again the whole album is $10. If an album has 30 tracks, make each track 50¢.

Could that work? I dunno, there are some oddities, but overall I guess the 99¢/each plan is simple and straightforward in most cases.
post #35 of 52
99 cents a track is fine. If you start varying the price you open the door for artists or labels to say "yeah, I want my song to be $1.75 instead"

Like someone else said elsewhere, if there is a 40 second track that you can't live without, then 99 cents is worth it. If you can live without it, then don't buy it.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
You forgot to add the following to the poll:

"I'm a loser and still use OS 9, so I'm not eligible. $0"

may as well be a windows user

I'll make a new poll when this one closes that will have OS 9 and "I steal music instead" as options...
post #37 of 52
I would definitely spend a lot of money at the store but alas, I have no credit card . Only one more year though!!! *turn 17 this June!!!* Honestly, whats better than supporting my favorite computer company and my favorite artists all at the same time?!?
"One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity"
"One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity"
post #38 of 52
I bought my first song last night and in the process moved from one statistical group to another. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to change my vote.

Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I think they intentionally make one of the tracks unavailble individually if buying each song would be cheaper than buying the album. I guess it makes sense - lots of albums have maybe 3 or 4 tracks, and if they're 99¢ each, that's an awfully cheap album compared to what it would be in the store.

I think it's quite annoying that certain tracks are available only with the whole album. Case in point: I was trying to think of a single song to test out the service. I didn't want to buy a whole album because I rarely use iTunes. I settled for Dirty Vegas' "Days Go By" from the popular commercial for the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Of course, "Days Go By" is only available with the full album. I bet the record company knew that people would only buy that one song from the commercial if they had the option. So they chose not to give buyers the option, and force them to buy the whole album for that one popular song.

I'm disappointed that I can't buy and Beatles or Madonna (yet). I'm less worried about Britney Spears.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
I bought my first song last night and in the process moved from one statistical group to another. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to change my vote.

wait until the next poll.

thats bullshit... i can't believe that they don't have albums for download.... isnt that the POINT of this service....?

post #40 of 52
oh well...just bought 3 more albums....have purchased 50 songs so far from apple....i am a good little slave to apple....

g
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › How much have you spent in the iTunes Music Store?