or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › wireless networking with one pc and one mac

wireless networking with one pc and one mac

post #1 of 2
i do know if i have an airported ibook and a base station then i can communicate and share internet with my wireless enabled pc.
but if i used my ibook as a software base station would i be able to communicate directly with my wireless pc and share its internet connection? (presuming it had modem in it and dialup connection)

i wanted to know becuase i wish to be able to surf the net downstairs etc on my ibook, and don't really want to buy a hardware base station but of course its not clear if i do need one in this situation.

any one know?
post #2 of 2
This seems like a WinXP question, not a Mac question. If the modem was plugged into your iBook, then yes, you could share the internet connection to a wireless PC via the iBook's Airport. You would just need to enable "Internet Sharing" in the Sharing control panel. I don't know if the same thing is possible vice versa. But I'll take a wild guess and say that Microsoft claims that it is, but it's buried deep under layer after layer of dialog boxes and sub-dialog boxes, requires knowledge of arcane networking lingo to configure, and even if you get all the settings right in the end it won't work anyway.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › wireless networking with one pc and one mac