or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › $599 refurbished eMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$599 refurbished eMac

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Just to let you know, Apple updated their special deal page with refurbished eMac for $599. It's the CD-ROM no modem model (education), but a good deal nonetheless. If only this were the pricing for new models
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jdbon2
Just to let you know, Apple updated their special deal page with refurbished eMac for $599. It's the CD-ROM no modem model (education), but a good deal nonetheless. If only this were the pricing for new models

$599 for a true-to-life G4 capable of running OS X proficiently. Cheaper than many late-model iMac G3s and honestly, I am yet to run across a stick that can beat it.
post #3 of 10
I can't wait for the new/updated models if the rumormill is correct.

What do you guys think about the eMac?

Personally, I find it to be a powerful (on a power/price comparison with other Apple models) desktop for people on a budget and first time Mac users.

If they include the Radeon 7500 or even the GF4MX in the next revision along with DDR SDRAM and a faster (read: 133Mhz) bus, I'll buy one.

I'm not exactly sure why a one-off sale of a refurb eMac would warrent it's own thread, but nevertheless, I want to hear what other AI users think of the eMac.
j00u = twh funnay.
Reply
j00u = twh funnay.
Reply
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jdbon2
Just to let you know, Apple updated their special deal page with refurbished eMac for $599. It's the CD-ROM no modem model (education), but a good deal nonetheless.

If only the eMac came without a monitor! Then I could just hook it up to a 20" ACD to make an awesome-looking system for less than $2000. I really want a 20" ACD, but I don't want to spend more than $2k.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #5 of 10
Uh oh, someone asked for an eMac with no monitor. Now it's inevitable that someone will say "add a couple PCI slots" and this thread will turn into a seething pit of fear and loathing.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
Uh oh, someone asked for an eMac with no monitor. Now it's inevitable that someone will say "add a couple PCI slots" and this thread will turn into a seething pit of fear and loathing.

Tin hats everybody!

I agree Barto! it's gonna get nasty in here...even worse if I even whisper FW800
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
Batman!
Reply
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
Batman!
Reply
post #7 of 10
You called?

PCI? mebbe one, but not important so long as multiple (FAST) independent FW800 buses are present (preferable faster if/when available)

But what is needed is whatever industry standard graphics slot is in use by the time Apple realizes that this is the type of machine they need to build. Be that AGP 8x, PCI-express, whatever. The need one. They also need a minimum of 4 RAM slots, space for 2 HDD's and a user accessible, replaceable, optical bay. Most crucially, a socketed PPC and/or daughtercard for the cpu.
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
But what is needed is whatever industry standard graphics slot is in use by the time Apple realizes that this is the type of machine they need to build. Be that AGP 8x, PCI-express, whatever. The need one. They also need a minimum of 4 RAM slots, space for 2 HDD's and a user accessible, replaceable, optical bay. Most crucially, a socketed PPC and/or daughtercard for the cpu.

And this all for the education line of Apple Computers?
j00u = twh funnay.
Reply
j00u = twh funnay.
Reply
post #9 of 10
It's not a lot at all. It's an easy to build tower pared down to Shuttle proportions, made from easier to source and update components, without the size and weight of a monitor to increase storage/shipping and build costs, that can EASILY be built to varying specs. It has appeal to the 1000's of school boards with perfectly reusable CRT's, business who just want a bare machine, consumers who want a bare machine, consumers who want a LOADED (but small and relatively affordable) machine, and it can all be built on one assembly line using whatever parts are cheap and plentiful during the regular update cycle.

Translation, increased sales and profits WITH lower prices. YAY!
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
Translation, increased sales and profits WITH lower prices. YAY!

Step 1: remove display from eMac
Step 2:
Step 3: PROFIT!

Somebody call the Underpants Gnomes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › $599 refurbished eMac