or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPhone

iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Well, a new iSync 1.1 article on Think Secret confirms that we'll see support for the Sony Ericsson P800. However, it is silent on which additional models of Nokia and Motorola phones will be supported and whether we will indeed get support for phone sync via USB. Finally the article reveals that over-the-air (OTA) synchronization will have to wait until a later release.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #42 of 113
Aaaand the article also says that OTA sync is pegged for a later release ... ahem ... just like I said.

(is there a smug smilie?)
meh
meh
post #43 of 113
counting down the days eh harald...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
counting down the days eh harald...

Yeh ... can't wait to get my hands on as P810 ...
meh
meh
post #45 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
Yeh ... can't wait to get my hands on a P810 ...

Ah. And when do you surmise that will be, Harald? I'm still patiently sitting on the phone-fence, so I'd love to hear anything you know about upcoming products.

Escher
post #46 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
Ah. And when do you surmise that will be, Harald? I'm still patiently sitting on the phone-fence, so I'd love to hear anything you know about upcoming products.

Escher

Not until winter I would hypothesise.
meh
meh
post #47 of 113
This thread title continues to miff me. It has little or nothing to do with an allegid iPhone.

Why not make some more 3D mock ups. (common graphic design students, I know you have nothing better to do on a Wednesday afternoon)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #48 of 113
Quote:
Not until winter I would hypothesise.

T610 it is, then! Or should I wait for the purely hypothetical iPhone? That is the conundrum.

As always, waiting can only save me money since I don't actually need a mobile phone.

Escher
post #49 of 113
With that announcement by sony about the PSP portable gameplayer...oled screens, e paper, 3D graphics for portables, holographic keyboard input devicesm, 30 gig memory the size of a stick of gum, by 2005 we will all be able to be james bond... now if I could just afford that Aston Martin
post #50 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Producer
now if I could just afford that Aston Martin

post #51 of 113
eWeek has just posted a new article about QuickTime 6.3, which will supposedly support "mobile devices." Nick Ciarelli and Matthew Rothenberg's articles are always well-researched and well-founded, so there has to be solid basis for their claim.

The obvious question now is what "mobile devices" QT 6.3 will support. Will QT support existing phones like the Sony Ericsson T610 and P800? Or will it support an Apple-branded device as well, e.g. the "communication device" mentioned by MacRumors? What do you guys think of this? Harald?

Escher
post #52 of 113
Quote:

The obvious question now is what "mobile devices" QT 6.3 will support. Will QT support existing phones like the Sony Ericsson T610 and P800? Or will it support an Apple-branded device as well, e.g. the "communication device" mentioned by MacRumors? What do you guys think of this? Harald?

Escher

Interesting and I belive it. What he said basically. 3gPP is good for QT as it will be on a lot of devices.

The T610 is an interesting and very powerful (albeit slow, sorry) device.

It is an application platform as much as a phone. Or rather, it does java very impressively ... there is not a java implementation of QT that I know of however ... I might do some research into how the DoCoMo phones are implementing 3gPP. I do know that Sony Ericsson are producing some amazing devices for the Japanese market.

This thread rocks. Pile in people.
meh
meh
post #53 of 113
so this is the bringing together of the announcement from a while ago about apple/quicktime supplying the infrastructure for delivering content to mobiles...

QT out to my P800 would be sweet, but as Harald says, its got to be Java. I'm off to surf/research and do no work for the rest of the day...

post #54 of 113
Quote:

The T610 is an interesting and very powerful (albeit slow, sorry) device.

How does it compare to the T68i? The T68i is...ummm...well...slow. And, how shall I say it, it has its idiosyncrasies (read: bugs). The T610 looks impressive, but if it is just more of the same I see no reason to replace my T68i. Of course, I am really waiting for Apple to come out with something, but not sure I can hold my breath for that long
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
post #55 of 113
anyone know what day apple tends to release software updates (if there is such a set date?)

wondering if isync 1.1 will make an appearence this week or next...
post #56 of 113
Quote:
wondering if isync 1.1 will make an appearence this week or next...

Think Secret just posted a third iSync report, which states that the update is now scheduled for an early June release.

What's more exciting to me is that iSync 1.1 will support the Motorola T720, one of the phones I'm closely considering, via USB-cable.

Escher
post #57 of 113
this is interesting (from the ThinkSecret article):

The update will reportedly support three Symbian phones over Bluetooth -- the Sony Ericsson P800, Nokia 7650, and Nokia 3650 -- using, as one source said, some sort of PPP bridging for synchronization

Harald, any ideas on that?

Can't believe its been put back yet more weeks. I've even given away my old Palm now, so I have an unsynched P800 staring at me willing to be used...
post #58 of 113
Quote:
this is interesting (from the ThinkSecret article):

The update will reportedly support three Symbian phones over Bluetooth -- the Sony Ericsson P800, Nokia 7650, and Nokia 3650 -- using, as one source said, some sort of PPP bridging for synchronization

Harald, any ideas on that?

Can't believe its been put back yet more weeks. I've even given away my old Palm now, so I have an unsynched P800 staring at me willing to be used...

<smacks head>

DUH, of course. Damn, if this is true it's so simple and so smart.

Problems using one protocol over Bluetooth? Use another! The P800 is happy to use IP data over Bluetooth all over the device ... you can surf using your PCs DSL connection.
meh
meh
post #59 of 113
DIE THREAD DIE!
(How many times to I come in here every time it tops the list to see if someone has any 'real' info)
Can we at LEAST change the theard title to 'Bluetooth Phones'?
post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
DIE THREAD DIE!
(How many times to I come in here every time it tops the list to see if someone has any 'real' info)
Can we at LEAST change the theard title to 'Bluetooth Phones'?

Ask Johnathon.

By the way, I read the article and it says no SyncML in iSync. This still doesn't matter if the P800 uses the .Mac OTA server and the Mac's internet connection.

Which I would peg for Panther ...
meh
meh
post #61 of 113
Quote:
Ask Johnathon.

By the way, I read the article and it says no SyncML in iSync. This still doesn't matter if the P800 uses the .Mac OTA server and the Mac's internet connection.

Which I would peg for Panther ...

Would that not tie the P800 to .Mac, meaning without .Mac your stuffed? That would quite rightly be unpopular.
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/

post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat
Would that not tie the P800 to .Mac, meaning without .Mac your stuffed? That would quite rightly be unpopular.

Right now the stuffage is total.

This would at least let you sync the damn thing while Apple get their sthi together.
meh
meh
post #63 of 113
Quote:
The 10.2.6 update adds support for the Sony Ericsson T610! IMO, that is an omen. It's a sign that Nitzer's paraphrase of Harald may be closer to the truth than we care to believe.

I want my T610 now! (Or I guess my T616 here in the US.)

Escher

is there a place I can see all the phones supported by iSync and the like?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
is there a place I can see all the phones supported by iSync and the like?

You can view them here.
post #65 of 113
Quote:
Right now the stuffage is total.

This would at least let you sync the damn thing while Apple get their sthi together.

if apple treated it as a 'temporary solution' it wouldn't give much faith to users!

the 'normal' sync would go like this i imagine:

click sync on your mac >
data and data request go to your phone >
data comes back from phone to mac >

but as we know the phone (i.e a p800 for example) can't handle the data. so its like this then:

click sync on your mac >
data and data request go to bridge >
from bridge to phone >
data comes back from phone to bridge >
from bridge to mac >

but what if the bridge was a software bridge running on your mac to spoof the phone into thinking the right data as coming...
post #66 of 113
Quote:
if apple treated it as a 'temporary solution' it wouldn't give much faith to users!
>

but what if the bridge was a software bridge running on your mac to spoof the phone into thinking the right data as coming...

Then there would have to be SyncML software running on the Mac. Which may as well be in iSync.

Hmm.

Some of this article is wrong or missing, or I am stupid. Maybe all 3.
meh
meh
post #67 of 113
What I'm confused about is if SyncML is a defined sync standard/protocol, why are Apple struggling with it?

post #68 of 113
Quote:
What I'm confused about is if SyncML is a defined sync standard/protocol, why are Apple struggling with it?

It's a standard they have publically endorsed (Steve on stage) and millons of 2-bit monkey developers have knocked out software by the gigabyte.

It is inconceivable that they are having problems with it.

As with the hardware "what are they up to?" questions there must be commercial reasons that the work has not been released. My favourite is that they want us to pay for it via un upgrade to Panther.

iSync 2.0 with OTA and SyncML support (one requires the other) in Panther.

This June thing could be public beta of this software and support.
meh
meh
post #69 of 113
Well I just got my P800 today... they go for $600 now in the states with a year contract... I wanted to wait till it was offered officially through Tmobile but who knows it may never be.. and my other phone just broke so... now it's charging...(came with a european charger so I am using my old erikson charger with it..hope it's ok to do that)

So any P800 users with tips let me know... I am gonna try to get my contact info onto to it somehow tomorrow... but don't know if it's possible.. also it has a usb docking station but does it charge in it as well? if not... just another reason why things should be firewire...or maybe USB 2 would be able to charge it...

I haven't really used the phone yet since it's charging..the size doesn't seem to bad..although I wish it was thinner but the next version will probably be oled and much thinner... it's also a bit plasticy...I would think for the price it would feel solid and like one piece...anyway everyone who has one says it's awesome so tomorrow I find out...

iPhone I waited and waited for you..but you never came...
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Producer
Any P800 users with tips let me know... I am gonna try to get my contact info onto to it somehow tomorrow... but don't know if it's possible.. also it has a usb docking station but does it charge in it as well? if not... just another reason why things should be firewire...or maybe USB 2 would be able to charge it...

iPhone I waited and waited for you..but you never came...

It's possible, no, easy via Bluetooth. Never tried it via USB (well I did have a bash with Virtual PC shudder). You just go to Address Book, select all and drag 'em to BT File Exchange (assuming your phone is set up). I think you have to make sure you export them as version 2.1 vCards.

Doesn't sync over USB.

And as for the iPhone ... well ... a bird in the hand ...
meh
meh
post #71 of 113
just as harald said! drag the contacts from address book onto bluetooth file exchange. your phone will ask you to accept them, and done -- it puts them in as contacts (which is very cool...)

i use fiel exchange for adding application to the phone (.sis files) and it always works fine.

don't go down the virtual pc and docking station route -- nightmare. if you can get it to work, tell me!

there's no way i can work out to get ical dates into the p800.

my docking station for some reason doesn't charge the phone. might just be me? so i don't really use it.

give it about half a day and you'll be as eager for the isync update as harald and i...

post #72 of 113
Quote:
my docking station for some reason doesn't charge the phone. might just be me? so i don't really use it.

To charge you gots to plug the power cable in next to the USB cable under the UFO ... sorry if stating the bleedin' obvious ...
meh
meh
post #73 of 113
Quote:
To charge you gots to plug the power cable in next to the USB cable under the UFO ... sorry if stating the bleedin' obvious ...

no, no, sometimes i need the obvious stated to avoid those doh! moments...

but i had it plugged in and it doesn't charge. not worried as i just plug directly into the phone.
post #74 of 113
Quote:
no, no, sometimes i need the obvious stated to avoid those doh! moments...

but i had it plugged in and it doesn't charge. not worried as i just plug directly into the phone.

I've heard this is a design flaw, the P800 doesn't charge in the dock.

post #75 of 113
grrr I don't have bluetooth right now...so if I can't sync with the doc...either I will have to wait till the isync update comes which I assume with support doc syncing or till the 970 powerbook arrives...

Thanks Guys

So what are your favorite programs? (not that I have a way to get them on the P800 now )

I wanna get a fitness and a diet program to track my work out and my diet...also I heard about this minigps thing...I want real GPS but I am curious how close this is...it's a software based version that just uses the cell towers to track you aproximate location...

also I noticed a memory stick converter on a site but it just says 128 memory sticks so it doesn't except larger than that? Anyone know if a memory stick pro sleeve is coming and if it will except the biggest sizes? Damn cost $80 for 128 gig duo now when you can get a 1 gig compact flash for just over $160 A flash converter would be nice...
post #76 of 113
Quote:
I've heard this is a design flaw, the P800 doesn't charge in the dock.

Mine does ...
meh
meh
post #77 of 113
OK, I'm moving this to Digital Hub.

Finally.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #78 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
OK, I'm moving this to Digital Hub.

Finally.

Yea since as much as I love it... the more the clock ticks the more it seems Apple has just dropped the ball when it comes to anything iPhone like (whatever iPhone was intended to be in the first place).

On a semi-related (to phones anyway) found a really cool site that tends to have 'insider type' info on all the different cell phones.

http://www.howardforums.com/

Someone even posted a bunch of photos of a new Sony-Ericsson phone (and a yet to be release BT headset) a few days back. Nothing Apple related but cool all the same.

D
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #79 of 113
where are the photos of the new sony phone and the headset I couldn't find them...so far this is by far the best phone I have had...it annoys me though that I just went to the howard forum and others have bought it for $370!!! in nyc I paid $580 cash oh well... Im still happy... tonight I go through the manual..hopefully I will get web browsing working as it doesn't seem to... also from what you guys says the usb connection is useless and I don't have bluetooth on my computer so I guess I won't be able to upload new firmware or instal software (opera browser) or install any mp3s oh well

also I wonder if there is a way to view my pics on it directly from my camers (canon s400, and soon to be sony dcs-v1) the canon uses flash and the sony uses memory stick pro so that won't work unless and adaptor for one comes out for the phone... would usb work? hmmm
post #80 of 113
Here's the thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=141111

It seems photos of the T610/T617/T618 phone (one for EUR one for JAP one for US I think) have made 'the rounds' to a bunch of places... I'm quickly learning that 'phone geeks' are just about as bad as us 'mac geeks' when it comes to hardware rumors and sussing out info on yet to be released phones.

Another great site for this kinda thing is: http://www.phonescoop.com/

Oh no!!! I find myself being drawn into the whole 'phone rumors world'.. please someone save me.

Dave
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPhone