or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › When will we see a 15" Albook?

When will we see a 15" Albook?

post #1 of 329
Well here's my first post:

I've been a PC user my whole life but for the last year or so I've been dying to make the switch. Mostly because of poverty I haven't been able to do it yet, but I'm hoping it can finally happen this summer. For a long time I've been mostly interested in the 14" ibook, but I hoped it would be demonstrating better performance by now. I know that in comparison to a similarly priced pc notebook, the ibook is far superior, but with the light video editing and multitrack recording i do, i need something with a little more kick.

So ever since January I've been waiting for the 15" Albook. Do you guys see it coming in the near future (meaning before the holiday season) and if so, what sort of capabilities will it sport?

Also, do you think I'm making a good decision in pursuing the powerbook? What would you recommend for someone, as i said before, who is interested in amateur video editing and music production but also needs portability. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable, having done considerable research in the last year, and feel very comfortable making the switch. (I've learned a lot reading these posts!!)

Okay, hopefully there isn't already another thread out there on this topic, I would be terribly embarrassed to get canned on my first post!

~Thanks~
post #2 of 329
First off, welcome

I would like to think that an updated 15" PowerBook - sporting all or most of the technical and cosmetic features found on the 12" and 17" models - would HAVE to be coming out within the next several months.

I think the last rev of them was in November (might want to confirm that) and I simply don't see them sticking around forever when the models directly above and below them are now sporting Bluetooth, AirPort Extreme, improved AirPort reception and - in the case of the 17" model - the cool lighted keyboard and FireWire 800.

Honestly, I think this much-talked-about 15" Aluminum PowerBook is going to be a HUGE seller because it perfectly straddles that line between the two others (those wanting a larger screen than the 12" model, but those who aren't in a position to drop $3300 for the huge 17" one). It'll sell like crazy and I'd imagine there'd HAVE to be one out by summer.

According to a couple of rumor sites (and you have to take that with a big, honkin' grain of salt, of course), these things are even slated for a late May rollout, so...

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

I think you'd probably dig that model quite a bit for the work you described. I'm betting that it would come in two models (Combo Drive and SuperDrive) and that both models would be at least 1GHz.
post #3 of 329
With any luck, it'll have a 970 in it. I know it seems like a dream, but you never know. Apple never ceases to surprise and amaze. I agree that the 15" will be a HUGE seller. I also see no reason that the 15" can't outperform the 17". The 17" is for people who want a big screen. The 12" is for people who want a truly portable G4. The 15" is that wonderful middle road, so why can't it have a faster processor in it. I think we will see one by WWDC. I'm waiting to replace my "aging" TiBook 667 VGA, and I told myself that I wouldn't until the 970 was in it. If I have to wait til next christmas, so be it! (I have a Dual 1Ghz MDD to hold me over)
post #4 of 329
exactly, the 970 would be a treat -- if even at 1GHz, it'd blow the other Pee-cee laptops out of their pants. But even if the AlBook debuts with a G4, which it still probably will (if but to exhaust the supply), it will more than meet your needs for editing, graphics, etc. Gotta hark back to the concept of human perception; how fast can something get realistically? And where time is but a medium measured by our memory, why try to go faster and faster?

'Cause it rocks, that's why. Bring on the fulfillment of the "year of the notebook," Apple.
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

post #5 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by fred_lj
how fast can something get realistically? And where time is but a medium measured by our memory, why try to go faster and faster?

Because I greatly dislike waiting an hour to render a 10 minute video or waiting a day to render a one hour documentary. Until processors get so fast that they can instantaniously export a one hour documentary into MPEG-2 format so I can burn it into DVD Studio Pro, I won't be happy...
post #6 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
With any luck, it'll have a 970 in it. I know it seems like a dream, but you never know. Apple never ceases to surprise and amaze. I agree that the 15" will be a HUGE seller. I also see no reason that the 15" can't outperform the 17". The 17" is for people who want a big screen. The 12" is for people who want a truly portable G4. The 15" is that wonderful middle road, so why can't it have a faster processor in it. I think we will see one by WWDC. I'm waiting to replace my "aging" TiBook 667 VGA, and I told myself that I wouldn't until the 970 was in it. If I have to wait til next christmas, so be it! (I have a Dual 1Ghz MDD to hold me over)

You are right for the most part, but when it comes down to it. No one would buy the 17" PowerBook if the 15" was more powerful and cheaper. With that said, If they did a Clean sweep across all lines, well, then, I would have no problems with that at all

-Hehe, fun with vB tags
Gyah! (just say it outloud, you'll understand)
Gyah! (just say it outloud, you'll understand)
post #7 of 329
The release date for an Al 15" PB is one of the harder dates to guess. A number of arguments point for both early release and a postponed release.

As stated above, the 15" TiBook has not been updated since November. It does not have the cool Al skin, lighted keyboard, airport extreme, FW800 and such of the 17" PB. This all argues in favor of it being updated soon.

On the other hand, technology has moved on. The TiBook already was at 1GHz. It should move a little higher. There is also the powerful new ATI 9600 graphics chip available for it. If the TiBook is refreshed it should also get a processor upgrade and a graphics processor upgrade. However, doing so will put it rather ahead of the 17" Al Book which just started shipping a month or so ago. Also, the TiBook is the last PowerBook which can boot OS 9. All these would be arguments for postponing the release of the 15" AlBook for a few months.

My guess is that the 15" PB would come out sooner rather than later. If it does have some cool things like a speed bump for te CPU or a better GPU it may tick off some 17" PB purchasers and may take some sales from that product but time to market is so important I think Apple looses more than they protect buy waiting.

Now, is that clear as mud?
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #8 of 329
The OSX transition is far from complete, with Apple keeping a OS9 capable machine in each of it's line-ups. The TiBook fills that role in the PB line. The problem for Apple is that they really don't have any room to do a significant bump. Performance wise, the Ti is right there with the 17" Al, so even if they updated the case, what would you gain? Airport ex and bluetooth, not a big gain, it's probably much more important for them to keep an OS booting PRO laptop around ATM.

The 15" will get a bump when the 17" can get one as well, could be as long as another 6 months.
IBL!
IBL!
post #9 of 329
If an update could be as far of as 6 months, is it likely that we'll see the 970 by then? If that were the case, it seems as though it would be worth waiting. If not, how much more can we expect out of the G4 in a portable?
post #10 of 329
If the powerbooks get a PPC 970, it will show up either in all of them, or only in the 17" or 17"+15".

Apple has never introduced a new feature in the midrange build of a particular model...it wouldn't make any sense. Why would Apple put their most advanced CPU in a powerbook that costs less than the high-end model?

If Apple were to only use the PPC 970 in one tower, and leave the others as G4s, would you expect them to put the 970 in the midrange model, and leave the $3500 tower with a G4? No. And if Apple did that the board would make sure somebody's head rolled for such a stupid decision.
post #11 of 329
railheaddesign (fairly reliable when he does post rumors)
said he is getting conflicting reports, but it should be between the end of may and the end of june.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #12 of 329
I'm hoping that the next PowerBook 15" will have the new IBM PPC970. I'm not paying USD2800 for a 1Ghz G4! I'm just not going to do it. My next computer, however, is going to be a PowerBook, so I am really hoping that the new ones will have the 970. It doesn't seem all that impossible...right?
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #13 of 329
In all likelihood, the PM's will be the only macs to sport the 970 for at least a few months, and those won't be seen untill MWNY (probably). Possibly, the 17" might get one at that time aswell, just for the wow factor of a 17" 64 bit notebook. I don't think there'll be enough 970's to go around after that, at least not for a few months
IBL!
IBL!
post #14 of 329
I don't see how apple is going to sell expensive G4 PowerBooks along side the 970 PowerMacs. We are not dealing with Motorola anymore, so maybe there is a possibility of the 970 PowerBooks coming out at the same time. I am really hoping for a 970 PowerBook lol! However, it seems like I may have to wait a while longer.
post #15 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
The 15" will get a bump when the 17" can get one as well, could be as long as another 6 months.

I agree I think it will be November 2003 - as that will make it a year old - no great worry to Apple - but I think they will have to bump up 17inch spec at same time - otherwise a 15inch revision now will make the 17ich seem lame (other than the screen size)

Jools
post #16 of 329
Also - remember the 17inch still is NOT out in the UK yet - and I doubt they will introduce a killer 15inch until UK gets stocks otherwise it blows the lid on the "wow factor" of the 17inch arriving in the UK

UK is still 6 weeks away from the 17inch coming out that makes it 6 months late since it was annouced...RUBBISH!!
post #17 of 329
That won't hold them back from intro'ing anything as soon as it's feasible (if they have anything to intro at all). I would like to think the 17" PowerBook doesn't have to be the top-dog. It's too big for most people; I favor more the idea of it being an "option" rather than a flagship. Let the 15" reign.

post #18 of 329
Supposedly the 15" Albook is awaiting a new graphics card. Hopefully it'll arrive in the next month or two.

I wouldn't expect a 970 PowerBook until next year.
post #19 of 329
This is a difficult call I think. It's either going to happen relatively soon, or the 15" is just going to get incremental upgrades until close to this time next year (when it'll get a new case and a 970).

So I'd say, if it doesn't happen within three months, then it's not going to happen before next year.

Wait and see what leaks out from WWDC about the 970.
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
post #20 of 329
when is the WWDC?
post #21 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by kittylitterdesign
Also - remember the 17inch still is NOT out in the UK yet - and I doubt they will introduce a killer 15inch until UK gets stocks otherwise it blows the lid on the "wow factor" of the 17inch arriving in the UK

UK is still 6 weeks away from the 17inch coming out that makes it 6 months late since it was annouced...RUBBISH!!

I was on the Jigsaw, Cancom UK and Macwarehouse sites today, and they were all showing stock of the 17"...
post #22 of 329
June 23-27, in San Francisco.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
\\
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #23 of 329
macwhispers thinks the 15 will have the 970 and will be able to be purchased in july.

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000064.php

personally i think they would not have waited this long for an AL 15 if there wasn't a significant change like the 970.
post #24 of 329
okay..when was wwdc originally slated? in may...wasnt it?

i dont think we will see 970s in the 15" but in the powermacs...

and the buzz goes on....isnt that great?
it can be more important than reading the bible six times or... uh... becoming a pope or something like that, you know?
it can be more important than reading the bible six times or... uh... becoming a pope or something like that, you know?
post #25 of 329
if the next 15" update were to bring us the 970, what would this mean for pricing? would anyone anticipate a large price hike considering it would be the debut of the 970? plus, i would assume that while demand would be incredibly high, supply could be pretty elastic. and wouldn't the probability that a 970 powerbook would make any upcoming centrino-based notebook look like a clock radio be further justification to jack prices up?
post #26 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by brokenradio11
and wouldn't the probability that a 970 powerbook would make any upcoming centrino-based notebook look like a clock radio be further justification to jack prices up?

Great metaphor---has me wanting one already! (and I don't think prices will change that much; Apple's making a good profit as it is with the PowerBooks)

post #27 of 329
Quote:
if the next 15" update were to bring us the 970, what would this mean for pricing? would anyone anticipate a large price hike considering it would be the debut of the 970? plus, i would assume that while demand would be incredibly high, supply could be pretty elastic. and wouldn't the probability that a 970 powerbook would make any upcoming centrino-based notebook look like a clock radio be further justification to jack prices up?

Lemme respond to that by saying, can you guess? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

hey, vB is cool

This is more apt for the PM's, which are grossly overpriced and underperforming, less true of the PB's which while not the fastest, come close enough to laptop x86 in all areas, and are faster in a few key areas (than mobile X86) that they win out on a balance of feautres and design. But only just. Especially the 15 and 17" books which are quite expensive already.

The PPC970 is not an excuse to price gouge, if Apple doesn't come in with a broadly appealing sticker, their 970 machines will sell well for all of two months and then the sales doldrums will begin anew. At the very least Apple has to hold prices for 970 based machines to the same prices as the G4 machines they replace.

I'm ot convinced there will initially be enough 970's to fit into ALL the PM's AND the 15 and 17" PB's. THer most certainly will NOT be a PPC970 based PB15 unless a 17" version is also available that day. That's 5 new models of 970 based machine, with at least one DP config, ALL on launch day. Translation, not happening. 970 PB's could folllow a little after, or a lot, depending on PM sales and IBM production.
IBL!
IBL!
post #28 of 329
Quote:
if the next 15" update were to bring us the 970, what would this mean for pricing?

Just to be clear, I'm saying that you're going to get an aluminium PowerBook pretty soon, or a 970-based PB in about a year's time.

What that will mean for prices - I expect they'll be somewhere in the range they are right now - perhaps up to $500 more. But in the mean time the Ti15 will get updated, as will the 12" and 17", and all of those models wil probably be cheaper at that time.

What may happen - really guessing - 12/17" stay on G4 for a while, 17 gets big price drop at 15" 970 intro, 15" becomes most expensive PB.

But like I say, I think this is a year away. I'm only saying watch WWDC to see what's going on with the 970 - I think there's only the slimmest of chances that a 970 PB will com out this year.
post #29 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by Clive
Just to be clear, I'm saying that you're going to get an aluminium PowerBook pretty soon, or a 970-based PB in about a year's time.
But like I say, I think this is a year away. I'm only saying watch WWDC to see what's going on with the 970 - I think there's only the slimmest of chances that a 970 PB will com out this year.

hia clive,

this was at MacWhisper as you probally already knew:
Quote:
In June, there are two development tracks we have been watching closely that will have reached a point where an actual product release is possible. More likely, these products will be released in July, following a June announcement. Both the much anticipated new mid-size PowerBook and the new PowerMac towers are on very closely aligned development tracks, since the PowerBook was diverted into what was a major redesign process in late January. We have a number of (admittedly untested) sources in the Apple OEM channel telling us that both products will use the IBM PPC 970 chip, with the PowerMac debuting with both single and dual processor configurations.

The new PowerBook is being built around an all-new 15.4-inch LCD from Chi Mei Optoelectronics. We do not know the pixel resolution, but do know that the panel will have specifications "equal to or better than" the recently introduced 20.1-inch Cinema Display panel, also built by Chi Mei.

so maybe we will see it all sooner than later or, as matsu said, powerbook introduction a couple of weeks after the powermac introduction, i don't expect apple to wait till november or even mwsf 2004...

...it keeps me hoping for 15" off bleeding edge technology (okay, the bleediest edge i can get my hands on) in the palms of my hands before 2004 starts
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #30 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by kittylitterdesign

Hi kittylitterdesign

I'm in the UK and a mate of a mate of mine is a proud owner of a 17" PowerBook G4, I saw it with my own eyes last month, so I'm assuming that some are shipping in the UK by now?

-Ed
post #31 of 329
Firstly, Im a little suprised that the 15" did not move to Al sooner, most likely due to little spec upgrade for the effort and cost of upgarding the existing 15" production. Also, Apple waiting for volume production for the new 15.4" panels.

But due to Apple's poor decision for not moving to Al, has caused lower than expected sales for the most popular PB model, when customers know an Al is coming, sooner or later.

Further information from MacBidoulle suggests we may indeed see a 970 PB 15.4 and very quickly see both the 12/17 updated to this processor. It could be that IBM is putting its yield rates where its money is, for Apple to satisfy its demand across both PB's and PMacs.

I was not expecting a 970 PB until about 6 months after the 12/17's been released. Remember, these 970 will require new motherboards as well. So it appears that Apple is comfortable in using completely new MB designs in a product lauched less than 7 months from WWDC.

Some are even suggesting we see the 970 15" by the end of May? But the fact remains, things are going to get very interesting in Apples' product lines between now and MWSF.

post #32 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by mania
macwhispers thinks the 15 will have the 970 and will be able to be purchased in july.

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000064.php

personally i think they would not have waited this long for an AL 15 if there wasn't a significant change like the 970.

That report mentions

The new PowerBook is being built around an all-new 15.4-inch LCD from Chi Mei Optoelectronics. We do not know the pixel resolution, but do know that the panel will have specifications "equal to or better than" the recently introduced 20.1-inch Cinema Display panel, also built by Chi Mei.

The spec of the 20.1 cinema display is

20" diagonal viewable image size
1680 x 1050 optimal resolution
16.7 million colors
17.3 x 21.34 x 6.93-10.43 inches
18.9 pounds
Two USB ports
Apple Display Connector

TO me this report is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike...

Jools

P.S. I really cant see a 15inch coming out for another 6 months. ..lets wait and see is I am right - after all I always am! joking of course!!
post #33 of 329
Power Books and PowerMacs may not be competing for the same 970 processors at all. For power/heat considerations, PBs may be restricted to 1 or 1.2 GHz chips while PMs may use 1.4 GHz chips and higher. Idle speculation.
Yes my child, he closed quite a few threads in his day.

Locomotive
Yes my child, he closed quite a few threads in his day.

Locomotive
post #34 of 329
I think the "specs equal to or better than the 20" Cinema Display" remark was in reference to the new 15" PowerBook's resolution only. Maybe in its viewing angle too. Stuff like that.

But not all the other stuff.

I DON'T think it's going to be 18.9 pounds or larger than the 17" PowerBook.

post #35 of 329
hahaha, i think it will definitely include two usb ports and ADC.

but i agree, assuming that macwhispers is right, which is obviously making a dangerous assumption, it only makes sense for htem to be speaking about optimum resolution and other viewing quality indicators.
post #36 of 329

post #37 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates

It wouldn't be the 15" Powerbook then would it? It would be the 1500" Powerbook...
post #38 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by Locomotive
Power Books and PowerMacs may not be competing for the same 970 processors at all. For power/heat considerations, PBs may be restricted to 1 or 1.2 GHz chips while PMs may use 1.4 GHz chips and higher. Idle speculation.

I tend to agree on this... I'm not sure what IBM's yields are on the 970, but I would imagine that they have *some* processors coming out of the fab that might not quite pass all their testing to be rated at 1.4+, but might work just fine at 1-1.2Ghz. It would be a shame (not to mention a costly waste) to just toss those cores, and the PB would be a good place for them. Now, whether that'll actually happen or not, is pure speculation

-Leigh
post #39 of 329
i think they have to wait til' panther comes out!
this is still the only powerbook that boots into os9!
that's the holdup! how quickly we forget!
post #40 of 329
Maybe the new 15-inch PowerBook will come Tuesday, May 6th? The last revision was Wednesday, November 6, 2002, and this coming Tuesday would make the current 15-inch PowerBook exactly six months old.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › When will we see a 15" Albook?