OK, after having scrutinized the rumor mill for months & months (read: I, too, am dying for the 15" AlBook) here's my $0.02. Beating the horse bloody...
1. No way we'll see it before WWDC (June) or MWE (July).
- Apple likes to introduce new devices at conventions, so why should we think any different?
- They'll want to buy time so suckers/indifferents will buy leftover TiBooks.
2. No way it'll have the 970 in it.
- As been said, they'd be nuts to introduce their top chip in a midrange machine and even nutser (?) to charge more for a midrange machine than the 17" AlBook.
- Apple laptops have never got the top chip before or even simultaneously with a desktop model. True of the 68040, the PPC/G3, and the G4. Will be true for the 970.
- As been said, the 17" AlBook is barely out in Europe. Why would Apple trump it now?
3. Bluetooth, yes. Airport Extreme, yes. Backlit keyboard, possibly (s'been rumored). ATI Mobility Raedon 9600 GPU, nope.
- As been said, Apple was not on ATI's list of launch partners for the new chip.
- They're just shipping a Mercedes. Why introduce a cheaper Ferrari?
Personally, I'd be happy with Bluetooth as the sole enhancement to save a precious USB port. Everything else, at THIS POINT, would be gravy.
P.S. We'll know soon enough, eh? Surely you've read this: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...21115723.shtml