or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBidouille posts PPC 970 benchmarks

MacBidouille posts PPC 970 benchmarks - Page 11

post #401 of 666
Running the risk of continuing to hijack this thread...

Engineers hate it when the company visionary walks in, says he doesn't like something or asks for a minor change. I know, I'm an engineer and it has happened to me a couple of times. What is really odd, however, is that in many (not all) cases he was absolutely right and the products were better for it. SJ is that kind of guy and Apple's products are better off with his influence than they are without. Is he infallible? No, but nobody is. He does have a pretty good hit:miss ratio.

I'm a shareholder in Apple too and frankly I would much rather have somebody like SJ at the helm than some business flunky who bends over for the "all powerful shareholders". The fact is that the shareholders don't know $hit about the business they've invested in, they don't know all the details, and they don't know all the plans and issues involved. Look back at the years when there were business types running Apple and you'll see that they pretty much ran it into the ground.

As for the Newton, which is always held up as an example -- personally I think Steve was right and he made the hard call to kill the product. A product isn't just about what is making money right now, its about the future as well and since the Newton was Steve'd the handheld market has been a bloody mess leaving wounded companies strewn across the battlefield. Apple, on the other hand, focussed on its core strengths and now has a good position if they can just deliver that new processor everybody says is coming soon (and which this thread is about <-- see, relevance!).

Lastly, about the "wacko" security measures and micromanagement. The employees always hate that stuff, so take their gripe sessions with a big grain of salt. I gripe about those issues too, but I also know from a fair bit of experience that they are sometimes very necessary. Apple is a company often copied, and their differentiation is their edge. If they leaked information like they used to then the copies would make it to market before the Apple products and the perception of Apple as "different", "revolutionary", or "leading edge" would rapidly dry up. And as for micromanagement -- this is almost always a direct result of an engineering team's tendency to lose focus, wander around, and not deliver the right product at the right time. Yes the engineers hate it, but most soldiers don't like marching and they wouldn't be a very good army if they never went anywhere.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #402 of 666
Preach on brotha!
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #403 of 666
Just a quick note: As someone who doesn't speak French myself, I sincerely do appreciate it when someone tries to put up MacBidouille translations.

BUT ... after you do a translation from French to English, how about a translation from Gibberish English to something logical? When you read your translation outloud and it doesn't make sense, you know there's a little extra work left to do.

No offense intended by this post...seriously translators...keep up the effort. It's appreciated.

-- Ensoniq
post #404 of 666
Trust Programmer to come along and always say something with intelligence and experience. 8)
post #405 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by RBR
Is this really the guy shareholders want leading the company at a time when its future is very much being shaped by current actions?

Absolutely!!
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #406 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
Look what you started

Let me remind everyone that we don't actually know if Steve threw a phone.......(idle speculation)

Yes, please remind them so they don't become confused.

From Sherlock:
Quote:
tale (t?l), noun.

1.\tA recital of events or happenings; a report or revelation: told us a long tale of woe.
2.\tA malicious story, piece of gossip, or petty complaint.
3.\tA deliberate lie; a falsehood.
4.\tA narrative of real or imaginary events; a story.
5.\tArchaic. A tally or reckoning; a total.
[Middle English, from Old English talu. See del-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
post #407 of 666
?? more ibm powerPC outsourcing?

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...pages=02&seq=3

articale says for phones and gadgets
post #408 of 666
post #409 of 666
yes. i know. phones and gadgets.

kinda nice though that ibm can leverage the tech from a $200k powermachine down to a phone in some sense.

is it June 23rd yet?
post #410 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensoniq
BUT ... after you do a translation from French to English, how about a translation from Gibberish English to something logical? When you read your translation outloud and it doesn't make sense, you know there's a little extra work left to do.

Hey, what makes you think it makes sense in French?

GI,GO
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #411 of 666
Here's a little something to get the ball rolling!

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...2871_tc056.htm

BusinessWeek reports that although Apple won't talk about it, IBM has confirmed that it's developing a new set of chips for the Mac.

While Motorola has struggled in chips, IBM has soared. Under CEO Sam Palmisano, Big Blue has poured money into chip research and upgraded its factories. IBM says the new Apple chip will be of the 64-bit variety, which means it can process twice as much information per cycle as existing 32-bit chips. That's not even counting an anticipated initial speed boost in the new chip's clock cycle to well over 1.8 Ghz per second -- and likely well beyond that over the course of the year. The new chip could also prove extremely valuable for specialized IBM workstations -- and a possible means for Big Blue to compete with archrival Sun Microsystems and it 64-bit architecture. For Apple, it means a quick injection of speed and power.

_
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #412 of 666
Quote:
That's not even counting an anticipated initial speed boost in the new chip's clock cycle to well over 1.8 Ghz per second -- and likely well beyond that over the course of the year.

Sweet Jesus!
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #413 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Algol
That's not even counting an anticipated initial speed boost in the new chip's clock cycle to well over 1.8 Ghz per second -- and likely well beyond that over the course of the year.

Damn. Oh Steves gonna be so pissed if this is true
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #414 of 666
Quote:
1.8 Ghz per second

GHz per second????

Er...

Do people from Business Week bother to even think about what they've written?
post #415 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by NMR Guy
GHz per second????

Er...

Do people from Business Week bother to even think about what they've written?

What, you don't like extraneous redundantly redundant statements?
post #416 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
What, you don't like extraneous redundantly redundant statements?

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #417 of 666
Quote:
Although Apple (AAPL ) won't talk about it, IBM (IBM ) has confirmed that it's developing a new set of chips for the Mac.

I wonder if they mean *confirmed* in the AppleInsider meaning of the word, or confirmed as in really confirmed
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #418 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by NMR Guy
GHz per second????

Whew. with that kind of acceleration... clock rate will exceed the number of molecules in the universe in less than a few minutes

The article was surprisingly well informed despite the units snafu. Its almost as if this guy is lurking at AI and 'those other boards'. He touches on pretty much all the critical issues for Apple/Mac-users. Clock speed, Quark's delay, Panther, dis-interest of pro-sumers in slow powermacs, graphics and advertising industry slumps, education market share, iTMS, Motorolla relations, possibilities of real-apple-servers...

This is the first Apple-overview article I've read in a while that hasn't annoyed me. Its an article that while not technically verbose, is still accurate and educational to the average reader.
post #419 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
The article was surprisingly well informed despite the units snafu. Its almost as if this guy is lurking at AI and 'those other boards'. He touches on pretty much all the critical issues for Apple/Mac-users. Clock speed, Quark's delay, Panther, dis-interest of pro-sumers in slow powermacs, graphics and advertising industry slumps, education market share, iTMS, Motorolla relations, possibilities of real-apple-servers...

Ah, no. I don't think you can qualify a writer who perpetuates the 64bit myth as "well informed".
post #420 of 666
I find that that article mentions 64bit = twice as fast as 32bit is kind of funny
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #421 of 666
Well... he says 'can process twice as much information per cycle'. Which is technically true, although I would agree with your assumption that he doesn't really knows what this means.

But I think we should cut him a little slack. The article is much better than the usual drivel printed in non-technical publications. I often find myself lambasting people for being ignorant about the computer and software industries. Unfortunately, if everyone does this, the world becomes an incredibly unpleasant place. I'm sure automotive engineers are annoyed by inaccuracies in Business Week's half-page articles on Honda. Similarly, I'm sure dieticians could make a dozen minor clarifications to articles on fast-food menus. Too critical an eye, and no publication will satisfy.

Given the social ineptness of many in the computer industry, its not surprising that we like to humiliate BW writers... its our chance to shine. A visit to the auto-shop is a good chance to get a taste of our own medicine. Just sound slightly uniformed about break-pad-wear and watch what happens. They will crush you with overly specific details that arent really of interest to the average car owner. (Oooo... that hit a bit close to home)
post #422 of 666
As Stephen King once said 'The secret of a journalist is to know just a bit more on the subject than the average reader'.

Dobby.
post #423 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown
Ah, no. I don't think you can qualify a writer who perpetuates the 64bit myth as "well informed".

Well the statement is not true in terms of real performance, it probably does reflect the perception of "Joe Sixpack" and it probably does reflect the way it will be marketed. Given that the main point here is that Apple will be making bizillions of dollars because they will have these new fast cool machines that are coming out, that perception is probably more important then reality. When you have a word limit it is sometimes easier to say something that gets the right message across rather than being technically correct. As far as its intended audience is concerned, the article seems to be right on target.
post #424 of 666
BW article got updated with
"IBM did not confirm it was building a chip specifically for Apple, but it does say its new PowerPC chip will work on Apple platforms"

Looks like someone put the smack down.......
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #425 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
BW article got updated with
"IBM did not confirm it was building a chip specifically for Apple, but it does say its new PowerPC chip will work on Apple platforms"

Looks like someone put the smack down.......

Yup, but I don't see how it makes much difference either way.
post #426 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Algol
Yup, but I don't see how it makes much difference either way.

I agree, but I figured someone had to bring it up
post #427 of 666
More news on the powermac 970 from Macboodibe:

Quote:
[ Rumour ] of the news of the PPC 970 - Lionel - 08:10:52

Before arriving at the heart of the subject, remember that what follows is a rumour, without tangible proof. However if we chose to publish it, it is that it has very good chances to be true.

The first PPC 970 based computers left the production lines and are even already packed on pallets.
Pallets are covered with the opaque and sealed film.
There are above stickers with following information:

"tamper proof seal, confidential property inside, prosecution may result if opened by unauthorized personnel"

They will start to be delivered to the wholesalers of confidence very soon with absolute order of not the défilmer before June 23.

APPLE had already used this method during launching of the Cube and more recently of the iMac G4.

[edit: re-translated the english text back into english from the original english text in the original french article - or something like that ;-)]

[edit 2: changed translation again with help from PB]
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #428 of 666
damn!!!!! if this was true!!! oh well just gonna have to
wait!!!!
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
post #429 of 666
But where is my WWDC countdown ?? 8)

I just can't wait
post #430 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
[B]More news on the powermac 970 from Macboodibe:

The first PPC 970 left the production lines and are even already packed on pallets. Pallets are covered with the opaque and sealed film. There are above stickers with following information:

"tamper proof seal, confidential property inside, prosecution may result if opened by unauthorized personnel"

They will start to be delivered to the wholesalers of confidence very soon with absolute order of not the défilmer before June 23.

APPLE had already used this method during launching of the Cube and more recently of the iMac G4.

This is what I hate about these translations. The first PPC 970 what? Just the processors themselves from IBM's plant or the actual 970 based Power Macs from Apple? It seems like they mean just the chips, but then they reference the "tamper proof" packaging as being similiar to the Cube abd FP iMac, which would imply the whole machine.

Does anyone at AI speak fluent French AND English? Anyone? Beuller?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #431 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
This is what I hate about these translations. The first PPC 970 what? Just the processors themselves from IBM's plant or the actual 970 based Power Macs from Apple? It seems like they mean just the chips, but then they reference the "tamper proof" packaging as being similiar to the Cube abd FP iMac, which would imply the whole machine.

I think the mean the powermacs with the ppc 970. Why would boxes with 970's need a opaque film around them???
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #432 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
I think the mean the powermacs with the ppc 970. Why would boxes with 970's need a opaque film around them???

They don't, which is why the transaltion is confusing.

I am a proponent of the 970 based Power Macs at WWDC theory, but retail ready boxes with the conference still a month away seems pretty unrealistic.

post #433 of 666
Quote:

The Macbidouille artice says "ordinateur", which would imply complete computers, not just CPUs.
Also, I don't really see why IBM would deliver pallets of CPUs to "trusted wholesalers", unless the new Macs are going to be DIY
post #434 of 666
Quote:

The original statement is

Les premiers Ordinateurs PPC 970 sont sortis des chaines de fabrication et sont même déjÃ* emballés sur des palettes

which means

The first PPC 970 based computers left the production lines and are even already packed on pallets.
post #435 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by philby
The Macbidouille artice says "ordinateur", which would imply complete computers, not just CPUs.
Also, I don't really see why IBM would deliver pallets of CPUs to "trusted wholesalers", unless the new Macs are going to be DIY

Yes, that's exactly my point! Thanks.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #436 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by PB

Les premiers Ordinateurs PPC 970 sont sortis des chaines de fabrication et sont même déjÃ* emballés sur des palettes

which means

Thank you, PB!

There's a big difference between "the first PPC 970" and "the first PPC 970 based machines."

post #437 of 666
Quote:
They will start to be delivered to the wholesalers of confidence very soon with absolute order of not the défilmer before June 23

This line would seem to confirm what I and several others have speculated on, and that is that Apple will build inventory and deliver to selected warehouses or confidential wholesalers, i.e. those wholesale outlets that can be trusted completely, prior to the announcement of their availability. Having almost a month to build inventory, makes sense because if it is 970 based PowerMacs, the immediate demand will be immense.

The anticipation builds.
post #438 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by PB

which means

Thanks PB. Changed from "my" babelfish translation to yours
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #439 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaktai
The anticipation builds.

Unfortunately, the possibility or even probability of disappointment builds on a parallel curve.
post #440 of 666
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaktai
Having almost a month to build inventory, makes sense because if it is 970 based PowerMacs, the immediate demand will be immense.

Yes it will. I for one will probably place my order as fast as the store come back up after the usual "store is temporarely unavailable" goes away. Hope they manage to keep the prices on the current level though.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBidouille posts PPC 970 benchmarks